Jalen Carter

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I'll mention it again. Carter WANTED to go to Philly. There's no guarantee he'd have the same motivation had he ended up elsewhere.

"With the 10th pick in the draft, the reigning NFC champions knew they had a shot to land the tackle, understanding he might fall because of off-field concerns. And Carter wanted Philly. He was impressed with the Eagles during pre-draft meetings and wanted to reunite with former Georgia teammates Nakobe Dean and Jordan Davis.

"With uncertainty swirling about whether the Eagles were comfortable, Carter's camp got proactive. Carter placed calls to multiple top-level Eagles executives on the doorstep of the draft, per sources, including Roseman, to assure them they would get the best version of him and would not regret taking a chance.

"Those calls were the final pieces to a puzzle the Eagles had spent months trying to put together."

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yes. He's been that dominant.

If you watch the film, you'll notice that he's doing this while often being doubled. He's winning a lot of the time. He's a handful for anyone.
People on the Bears forum continually give me crap for saying Poles should have drafted Carter instead of Wright. It is human nature not to admit you are wrong about something or somebody.

knownone

Reaction score
you can play the hindsight game with every team in every draft.
There is a more meaningful discussion regarding positional value relative to team need.
Avoiding major red character flags is still a solid draft philosophy regardless of the hindsight game.
It's not hindsight if you said it before the draft, though.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Carter is where he wanted and needed to be to have his best shot to thrive.

Spoon is the perfect fit for the Hawks defense. He brings energy and attitude that lifts the D. He can play both outside and inside.

I don’t think we need to keep comparing them.

toffee

Reaction score
Spoon: he plays with such energy and pushes body to extreme, would injuries find him?
Carter: how long before his conditioning and questionable motivation catches up to him?

knownone

Reaction score
Carter's PFF grade: 92.2 -> second to Aaron Donald in pressures, prwr, and double team prwr.
Spoon's PFF grade: 79.7 -> tied with Branch for 2nd highest-rated rookie corner behind Gonzalez.

I understand being excited for Spoon. I don't understand some people's need to dunk on those who wanted Carter.

toffee

Reaction score
A couple of random thoughts:

1. A DT could in theory be involved in all snaps, but our Carter with conditioning etc would more likely be a 50% of snap kind of player? I don't think that he was never an every down tackle in college, could someone correct me if I'm wrong?
  2. As good a lockdown CB as Deon Sanders, teams could just not throw to his side. Pete's moving Witherspoon to slot might have merits? Witherspoon seems to excel in instinct or quick decision making. He has been quite involved in rushing the qb, stopping the runs, etc.,
I like how Witherspoon can influence the outcome of a game more than Carter. My 2p

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Carter's PFF grade: 92.2 -> second to Aaron Donald in pressures, prwr, and double team prwr.
Spoon's PFF grade: 79.7 -> tied with Branch for 2nd highest-rated rookie corner behind Gonzalez.

I understand being excited for Spoon. I don't understand some people's need to dunk on those who wanted Carter.

I’m really happy Carter is panning out. And if you look back at some of the pre-draft threads, you’ll see me pushing back on the vitriol tossed at the kid.

That said, I think there is an opinion among some that Spoon was a bad pick because Carter was/is a better player at a more desirable/needed position and that passing on him was an indication of bad process by the front office. And I don’t think that narrative is true.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've posted this elsewhere in the forum, but I'll mention it again. Carter WANTED to go to Philly. There's no guarantee he'd have the same motivation had he ended up elsewhere.

"With the 10th pick in the draft, the reigning NFC champions knew they had a shot to land the tackle, understanding he might fall because of off-field concerns. And Carter wanted Philly. He was impressed with the Eagles during pre-draft meetings and wanted to reunite with former Georgia teammates Nakobe Dean and Jordan Davis.

"With uncertainty swirling about whether the Eagles were comfortable, Carter's camp got proactive. Carter placed calls to multiple top-level Eagles executives on the doorstep of the draft, per sources, including Roseman, to assure them they would get the best version of him and would not regret taking a chance.

You know who else had a bad reputation prior to the NFL Draft and along with is agent, took to writing letters and contacting front offices telling them that they would get his best if they selected him?

Aaron Hernandez...

The former Patriots tight end promised "absolutely nothing to worry about" in a letter before the 2010 NFL Draft.

knownone

Reaction score
You know who else had a bad reputation prior to the NFL Draft and along with is agent, took to writing letters and contacting front offices telling them that they would get his best if they selected him?

Aaron Hernandez...

The former Patriots tight end promised "absolutely nothing to worry about" in a letter before the 2010 NFL Draft.

Do you know who else went to art school? Hitl...

I kid. But that's typically the example we use when illustrating False Analogies.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I like the way the guys we got are gravitating to top shelf as performers. Hope that trend continues and what I saw from Young when spelling Jarran in the middle Monday night, and our center to be, I think we could end up with a contingent of top ten players by years end.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

I know. I get the same reaction on the Bears forum when I say Carter is Warren Sapp 2.0.