Jordyn Brooks - Fantastic play (Brooks > Queen)

Elemas

Reaction score
That video...didn't they drop back to zone? Looked like Queen did his job to me.

I'm not high on Brooks... I'm unbiased as far as who's better but, I do feel Queen has an edge right now.

Unwittingly, I'm a "hes ranked higher why did you select this dude kind of draft guy".

I'd like to see Brooks excel. Were going to need him.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Elemas":43dhv5r2 said:
I'm not high on Brooks... I'm unbiased as far as who's better but, I do feel Queen has an edge right now.

Without bias Brooks is currently the objectively better player.

themunn

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":17fgeurl said:
I think you guys are too high on brooks. Kyler made a fool out of him in the open field and I’ve seen him whiff on easy tackles. He made a nice pass breakup in the Rams game, but I’m not too impressed yet. Jordyn Brooks has a ways to go before he’s a good player in the league.

Murray has made a fool out of everyone in the open field - he's on track to beat Michael Vick's rushing record (and needs 100 more passing yards to beat Vick's season TOTAL from the same year).
That's like saying reigning DPOY Stephon Gilmore isn't impressive because Russell Wilson made a fool out of him multiple times with the deep ball.
Murray will probably make a fool out of a lot of players once again on Thursday - the Seahawks actually kept him in check better than most teams have this season (his 4.8 YPA the 2nd lowest average of the season, although he did have more rushing attempts against Seattle than any other team), but I don't think that is the barometer by which we should judge any player, let alone a rookie.

If Brooks is able to make Murray look mortal then it will go to show he has a VERY bright future in the league, but anything less than that won't tell us very much at all.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
themunn":278b4ikv said:
Spin Doctor":278b4ikv said:
I think you guys are too high on brooks. Kyler made a fool out of him in the open field and I’ve seen him whiff on easy tackles. He made a nice pass breakup in the Rams game, but I’m not too impressed yet. Jordyn Brooks has a ways to go before he’s a good player in the league.

Murray has made a fool out of everyone in the open field - he's on track to beat Michael Vick's rushing record (and needs 100 more passing yards to beat Vick's season TOTAL from the same year).
That's like saying reigning DPOY Stephon Gilmore isn't impressive because Russell Wilson made a fool out of him multiple times with the deep ball.
Murray will probably make a fool out of a lot of players once again on Thursday - the Seahawks actually kept him in check better than most teams have this season (his 4.8 YPA the 2nd lowest average of the season, although he did have more rushing attempts against Seattle than any other team), but I don't think that is the barometer by which we should judge any player, let alone a rookie.

If Brooks is able to make Murray look mortal then it will go to show he has a VERY bright future in the league, but anything less than that won't tell us very much at all.
But here is the thing, Brooks didn't make him look like a mere mortal. I think everyone here is grasping at straws when talking about Brooks. I've seen some good and some really bad plays from Brooks. He's been a mixed bag, I'm not really counting on him ever becoming anything more than just an average NFL LB, which would be better than many of our first rounders.

themunn

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2oi0hkru said:
But here is the thing, Brooks didn't make him look like a mere mortal. I think everyone here is grasping at straws when talking about Brooks. I've seen some good and some really bad plays from Brooks. He's been a mixed bag, I'm not really counting on him ever becoming anything more than just an average NFL LB, which would be better than many of our first rounders.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Nobody has been making him look like a mere mortal.

He's on track for 5,300 scrimmage yards, 48 total TDs, 14 interceptions.
Patrick Mahomes in 2018 - 5369 scrimmage yards, 52 total TDs ,12 interceptions
Lamar Jackson in 2019 - 4300 scrimmage yards, 43 total TDs, 6 interceptions

He is playing at MVP level and the fact that Brooks hasn't made him look like a mere mortal just puts him in the same bracket as every other LB in the league. He's got another chance tomorrow to do so - if he does then Brooks will have announced himself as a potential future All-Pro and maybe the next Bobby Wagner - a player who is a lock for the hall of fame.
That's quite a high bar for any player though and if he falls short of it that doesn't necessarily mean he's just got a future as "an average NFL LB" - KJ Wright is an example of a player with just one pro-bowl (alternate) to his name, but he's in his 10th season as a starter, closing in on 1,000 career tackles, and has been a key starter for the Seahawks for a long time, but you wouldn't put him in the same league as Wagner and it's not fair to do the same to Brooks either, because NO linebacker drafted in the last 10 years compares to Wagner.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
NFL pundits: Queen is great and possible RoY.
Some Seahawks fans: Brooks is better. Watch this video of Brooks best play and Queens worst play and you will agree. Also ignore all of the stats please because those don’t matter.

Find one non PC homer saying that please. Most Seahawks fans won’t.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Didn't Brooks make a big play running down Murray and forcing a throw-away on 3rd and goal on the goal-line stand following DK's tackle?

iigakusei

Reaction score
To be honest if I ran the Seahawks I would be moving on from Wagner next year and Brooks would be my starting MLB.
I know Pete will never do that though.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":uqvzdegu said:
NFL pundits: Queen is great and possible RoY.
Some Seahawks fans: Brooks is better. Watch this video of Brooks best play and Queens worst play and you will agree. Also ignore all of the stats please because those don’t matter.

Find one non PC homer saying that please. Most Seahawks fans won’t.

What a horrendous misrepresentation of everything that has been said in this thread. You should honestly be ashamed of that.

As if you'd ever be defending a single Seahawks player with a freakin' TWENTY. EIGHT. POINT. 9. PFF grade. You'd be calling for the front office's head if they drafted a linebacker who has played like one of the worst in the league, regardless of him having a couple of forced fumbles.

The guy is absolutely lost on the field during passing downs. Ravens fans agree. Check their forums yourself if you don't believe it.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ooooh boy.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1330614702607642635[/tweet]

CPHawk

Reaction score
How did Ole Miss lose any games with Brown and Metcalf on the team? You'd be hard pressed to find 2 WR better on a college team.

PNW

Reaction score
I consider myself a realist....even getting called a troll in these forums at times because I’m not a homer all the time. Even I can totally see amazing potential in Brooks. I think you just want to set the bar low mentally so you don’t let yourselfs down. If you want to play weird mental games with yourselves that’s fine, just be ready to eat some crow. As far as the Kyler Murray comment he juked the crap out of All P͏ro/Pro Bowler Jamal Adams https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=is7n4bYTPe0 and you can watch highlights of him juking everyone.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wRgWDABukOQ

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If it's not the draft pick that THEY wanted, the dwelling on a player from another team and/or the putting down of the Hawks draft pick is gonna' happen. Over and over again. Meh, looks like both guys are gonna' be solid players.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ColdWunz/status/1330784043177185284[/tweet]

Hah! Not today, DJ Humphries. The way he stood up the back, who had a full head of steam building, directly after pulling a Houdini on Humphries?

The kids got it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Brooks was definitely my favorite pick of the draft. Glad to see he is starting to get some real playing time. He is going to be another monster linebacker for us.

Elemas

Reaction score
Old thread...sorry for the revival.

While I like Brooks and assume Pete and John think his ceiling is high, I'm not sure we made the right choice. I will say that I was comfortable with the pick when they made it. It wasn't the same reaction I had with LJ.

At this point, right now, without a doubt...Queen is the better player and it's not even close. I'm all for having pride and am beyond hopeful that Brooks can be that guy who replaces B-Wags but if we're talking who is the better player right now, you're smoking that good Northwest Sticky Icky Icky if you say Brooks.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I liked the Brooks pick on draft day he was clearly one of the best LB's available when Seattle took him. There were quite a few naysayers at the time i just didn't understand the concern on the guy he checked every box. That doesn't mean he will be a great player but considering some of the Seahawks picks over the years his physical skills and college pedigree were rock solid. The selection looked good there were other needs there always are but they drafted a good LB and they needed one.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Elemas":ua87h77h said:
Old thread...sorry for the revival.

While I like Brooks and assume Pete and John think his ceiling is high, I'm not sure we made the right choice. I will say that I was comfortable with the pick when they made it. It wasn't the same reaction I had with LJ.

At this point, right now, without a doubt...Queen is the better player and it's not even close. I'm all for having pride and am beyond hopeful that Brooks can be that guy who replaces B-Wags but if we're talking who is the better player right now, you're smoking that good Northwest Sticky Icky Icky if you say Brooks.

Huh?

The arguments I've made are completely grounded in reality based on the play of the two. Patrick Queen has been downright awful, and frankly, I'm not sure how one could successfully argue against that.

I agree that it is not close - Brooks has played far better thus far. Seriously, if you want to dismiss that viewpoint as invalid, by all means do so with something to back it up like I have.

I don't understand why people think Queen is doing well. It's hard to understate how genuinely terrible his play has been.