Jordyn Brooks - Fantastic play (Brooks > Queen)

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kbnwc5h said:
Why can't people just have an opinion on it? And why dwell on Queen? He's not a Hawks player, Brooks is.

People can totally have an opinion on it, just like I can call their opinion wrong, using evidence to back it up.

As for the relevance of Queen, I don't know if you noticed how common the "why Brooks when Queen is there, boooo PCJS suck" lament is, but it was everywhere on draft day, and will continue to be a common statement, as if Queen is playing remotely well. The narrative from draft night is going to lead to Queen being the primary comparison to Brooks when judging his play and the success of the pick.

I think its completely valid to point out that Queen has basically been a steaming dump on the field, compared to Brooks, who is actually flashing potential. As for discussion.. well, if people want to comment on this thread with the direct opposite of my viewpoint, is a retort not appropriate?

Elemas

Reaction score
I think the comparison is relevant and do appreciate you addressing it.

I can find links that make Queen look like an absolute star and make Brooks look terrible.

With an easy search, you can find posts here with negative feedback concerning Brooks.

I like Brooks. I think he makes less mistakes. But, I give the overall game impact to Queen. Stats aren't everything but, there's evidence using that alone.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Elemas":1yd148kz said:
I think the comparison is relevant and do appreciate you addressing it.

I can find links that make Queen look like an absolute star and make Brooks look terrible.

With an easy search, you can find posts here with negative feedback concerning Brooks.

I like Brooks. I think he makes less mistakes. But, I give the overall game impact to Queen. Stats aren't everything but, there's evidence using that alone.

He does have tackles and a couple of splash plays, but I liken it to the time Tedric Thompson got an interception. Any ILB is going to get tackles, and I think its really unfortunate that the national media is using his tackle count and fluke uncontested fumble return as a means of anointing him.

On the majority of plays, Queen is either blowing a coverage or getting blown off the ball and walked back by linemen.

Like I said, it's hard to overstate just how bad he has been, especially recently. Seriously - watch a recent game of his from beginning to end. The 27.7 PFF grade sounds outlandish, but it shows up.

If Queen were the pick for Seattle, and he played like this while continuing to be fed snaps, the board would be beside itself. Absolutely on fire. Cary Williams but worse and at inside linebacker type on fire. Worse than Collier because at least he wasn't actively getting destroyed, he just wasn't on the field.

Even the Ravens homers are mostly negative on him... at least on their reddit. Link at bottom.

I still think he has a shot to put it together with a full offseason. I just don't want the narrative to go on that Patrick Queen was undoubtedly the better LB prospect because... well, he sucks so far... really bad.

That being said, I respect your viewpoint and appreciate you speaking to the validity of the comparison. Whether it turns out good or bad for Seattle, these guys are naturally going to be judged along side one another due to the circumstances of their entry into the league.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ravens/comment ... urce=share

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Anyone care to analyze Brooks' play tonight? He made several good tackles, and dropped into coverage a time or two. He's looking more involved all the time.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3i5nkm61 said:
Anyone care to analyze Brooks' play tonight? He made several good tackles, and dropped into coverage a time or two. He's looking more involved all the time.
I don't think he looked very good this game, particularly in coverage. He got burnt really bad for a long play on one particular occasion. It ended up a pass interference, which was lucky. It should have been six, but Wentz is threw a really bad pass. I don't think he had a great game.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":29r5el23 said:
Ad Hawk":29r5el23 said:
I don't think he looked very good this game, particularly in coverage. He got burnt really bad for a long play on one particular occasion. It ended up a pass interference, which was lucky. It should have been six, but Wentz is threw a really bad pass. I don't think he had a great game.

Does that one play define his evening for you? I agree, he should have got his head around on the PI, but he made several good stops on RBs, dropped back into coverage and made good open-field tackles.

W

Welshers

Ad Hawk":1pp7frbi said:
Spin Doctor":1pp7frbi said:
Ad Hawk":1pp7frbi said:

Does that one play define his evening for you? I agree, he should have got his head around on the PI, but he made several good stops on RBs, dropped back into coverage and made good open-field tackles.
I thought he was very good, apart from the questionable PI.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
themunn":3oq9fowu said:
Spin Doctor":3oq9fowu said:
But here is the thing, Brooks didn't make him look like a mere mortal. I think everyone here is grasping at straws when talking about Brooks. I've seen some good and some really bad plays from Brooks. He's been a mixed bag, I'm not really counting on him ever becoming anything more than just an average NFL LB, which would be better than many of our first rounders.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Nobody has been making him look like a mere mortal.

He's on track for 5,300 scrimmage yards, 48 total TDs, 14 interceptions.
Patrick Mahomes in 2018 - 5369 scrimmage yards, 52 total TDs ,12 interceptions
Lamar Jackson in 2019 - 4300 scrimmage yards, 43 total TDs, 6 interceptions

He is playing at MVP level and the fact that Brooks hasn't made him look like a mere mortal just puts him in the same bracket as every other LB in the league. He's got another chance tomorrow to do so - if he does then Brooks will have announced himself as a potential future All-Pro and maybe the next Bobby Wagner - a player who is a lock for the hall of fame.
That's quite a high bar for any player though and if he falls short of it that doesn't necessarily mean he's just got a future as "an average NFL LB" - KJ Wright is an example of a player with just one pro-bowl (alternate) to his name, but he's in his 10th season as a starter, closing in on 1,000 career tackles, and has been a key starter for the Seahawks for a long time, but you wouldn't put him in the same league as Wagner and it's not fair to do the same to Brooks either, because NO linebacker drafted in the last 10 years compares to Wagner.
Kyler is in the top .1% of quickness in a small space, ON THE PLANET. You can't judge any player in the league on whether or not Murray juked him. That's not how it works. If Brooks, being 50+ lbs larger is even in the vicinity of Murray in the open field is encouraging. Brooks might not end up living up to what WE think he should be, but getting juked by Murray in the open field has nothing to do with that assessment.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
CPHawk":11b2na4i said:
How did Ole Miss lose any games with Brown and Metcalf on the team? You'd be hard pressed to find 2 WR better on a college team.
QBs in the SEC are dog shit. If they could successfully poach the best west coast QBs, it would be a wrap. I think the top QBs (passing Qbs) take a pass on them because your numbers and exposure to NFL offenses are likely to be stunted in that conference.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":26jv8x9s said:
Spin Doctor":26jv8x9s said:
I think you guys are too high on brooks. Kyler made a fool out of him in the open field and I’ve seen him whiff on easy tackles. He made a nice pass breakup in the Rams game, but I’m not too impressed yet. Jordyn Brooks has a ways to go before he’s a good player in the league.

Oh, he has a ways to go. For sure. I'm just saying that what he's putting on tape is highly encouraging, especially compared to Queen, the player he's going to be compared to for his career.

The Cardinals game was up and down. Mostly up, though. He navigated through blockers very successfully to get to Kyler a few times. You're not gonna tackle open field Kyler 100% of the time - he's a special talent in that regard. I think Brooks held up very nicely for a rookie coming off injury in a year with no preseason.

His game against the Rams was even more encouraging. He gets through the scrum well to affect plays. He's got a nose for the ball.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1328758700463452166[/tweet]

His PFF grade is coverage wasn't great - in the 40s, but it's not Patrick Queen level horrendous, and I tend to take it easier on him because the whole defense is falling apart. But, again... he's showing flashes of the instinct and closing speed necessary to be a cornerstone linebacker in this league, and he's showing them more frequently as the year goes on and he racks up snaps.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1328821416343588867[/tweet]

Here's a better breakdown of his best play in coverage v. LA.

Not saying he's a complete player yet, but he deserves more playing time and is not playing like a bust.

You hit on something that was/is true. I typically don't watch other teams and tbh, have only seen Ravens highlights and stats (both of which are impressive on the surface). With that said, I think it's unfair for me to make such strong arguments for Queen.

What I can say for sure is that Brooks looked great to me last night...even with the DPI. I paid particular attention to him and he was around the ball...a lot. There were quite a few plays where his # won't show up on a stat sheet but, his impact was felt.

Fans have to be cognizant to the point where you can't just pick out a facet of the game (such as stats).

As for the Queen comparison, I don't really know. There will always be that "what-if".

Ultimately, both teams are likely happy with their pick!