Ken Norton Jr. Has Been Fired

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Welp, Bobby's gone.

They'll hire someone who makes Adams the terror that he can be, or he too will be gone.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
James in PA":a5hhkwbb said:
It would be nice to get a fresh set of eyes in here. I have a feeling though it will be Hurtt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it will be Hurtt as well....it be cool if Cliff Avril became D line coach and Kam was hired in some fashion as a defensive passing coordinator or assistant.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1iyaf4al said:
All people have done is push for Norton to be fired, now that he will, people are still complaining. :irishdrinkers:

Yep! Could not agree more. The O when we finally had a running game again looked decent but the D not so much with the same stupid coverages that would be exposed and a significantly underwhelming 3rd down win rate.

Never was a fan of KNJ as a DC and thought he reached his max ability as LB coach, as others have mentioned he was given resources to fix his D and it still underperformed.

The Fire Pete gang will call it scapegoating but KNJ was a huge part of the Team’s defensive woes. Pete was right to have earlier promoted Richard over Norton and wrong to have brought his fiend back when he busted out as a DC in Oakland. There were just too many seasons of poor performance by the D to not believe KNJ was over his head as the DC. Finally PC has taken the step many have been wanting and yet it’s wrong? Go figure.

Bringing in new eyes to fix a D and properly use several very talented players would be the right approach. Not really a huge supporter of Clint Hurtt for the job and think Pete needs some fresh voices and ideas on the defensive side of the ball. Looking at the defensive record of the past truly more than 2 full seasons this move likely should have happened earlier.

I like KNJ as a player motivator and believe him to be a a truly great position coach and great man but he was not good as a DC and had genuine blind spots which had become so noticeable that he was unable to correct it was well past time to let him go. Getting rid of the passing game coordinator was also a good move long overdue.

Grumbling about the time it took to let Norton go is justified but it sure isn’t justified to have finally done it.

Threedee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":37sbgb37 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1483306516765503488[/tweet]

Passing game coordinator Andre Curtis has also been fired.

We had a passing game coordinator? Who knew?

chris98251

Reaction score
Threedee":3u2rca5t said:
Maelstrom787":3u2rca5t said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1483306516765503488[/tweet]

Passing game coordinator Andre Curtis has also been fired.

We had a passing game coordinator? Who knew?

Yeah he kept getting lost on game day when told to fetch another box of Chewing Gum for Pete game days.

toffee

Reaction score
mistaowen":3m5xpt9u said:
Overdue. Great man, tremendous LB coach, great motivator, at his best an average DC and at his worst one of the worst defenses of all time. Two straight years of spending 1/3 of the season looking like they're going to break every bad defensive record. Terrible DL production and win rates. LB's were highlighted as out of position quite a bit by Pete in the early games, not great for an LB coach. Spent 1/3 of the season playing Tre Flowers and gimping the scheme because of it.

I really hope Pete looks outside his network this time and brings in an excellent DC to run the show. There are a few names available, I am pretty neutral on Clint Hurtt.

Fangio

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":rv6v0o3o said:
mistaowen":rv6v0o3o said:
Overdue. Great man, tremendous LB coach, great motivator, at his best an average DC and at his worst one of the worst defenses of all time. Two straight years of spending 1/3 of the season looking like they're going to break every bad defensive record. Terrible DL production and win rates. LB's were highlighted as out of position quite a bit by Pete in the early games, not great for an LB coach. Spent 1/3 of the season playing Tre Flowers and gimping the scheme because of it.

I really hope Pete looks outside his network this time and brings in an excellent DC to run the show. There are a few names available, I am pretty neutral on Clint Hurtt.

Fangio

Fangio's a hell of a coordinator, but he's kind of an old salty coach.

Which, nothing wrong with that. But Pete might want to go younger and more relatable. Which is a hard type of NFL coordinator to find that also has experience. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I would not be excited about Clint Hurtt, I'd like Pete to go outside his coaching tree comfort zone and bring in some new ideas and energy.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
NJlargent":2g7uil72 said:
Cool that answers who is this years scapegoat.

Yup. You'd think that next year would finally put Pete on the hot seat (which is a season too late), but honestly he'll probably get another pass. Defense will start rough and everyone will say new DC. Oh and what will make it even better is if RW is traded, defense will look better perhaps because Pete will just load up on defense at that point, but then offensive woes can be blamed on not having RW.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Look, KN should have never been our DC, period. He is a POSITIONAL coach! LB coach to be specific. He was a HELL of a player and in terms of optics? Of course he looks the part of a DC, but he just isn't. You either have the aptitude for it or you don't. He excels as a LB coach so why make him into something more than he is?

I'll never understand why Ken Norton was our DC for however many years he was. Made zero sense to me. We need the Gus Bradley, Dan Quinns of the world! I know, I know, who doesn't....Point is, you need an actual DC to be the DC!

I pray Pete's DC hire is a solid pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What about bringing Gus back?

The Raider's are firing everyone, so what about bringing Bradley back? Hard to argue his track record here.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qixhozcp said:

The Raider's are firing everyone, so what about bringing Bradley back? Hard to argue his track record here.

You get my vote.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Totally agree!

Pete needs a new set of eyes overseeing his D and particularly not one of his cronies or previous employees.

Fortunately there a quite a few good candidates out there.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is kind of like buying a fire extinguisher after your kitchen has burned down.

Yay. (I guess.)

Not sure it matters because Pete will just hire a new coordinator to become the problem. Anyone following Pete since USC knows he hires some barely average coordinators, almost regularly.

Norton was one problem but since the big problem was Pete's complete loss of effectiveness at everything that made him worth keeping - it would be great to see a solid to great DC in place...but not expecting it at all.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ml48ewl said:

Sorry, but why?

Gus Bradley just coached the worst red zone defense of the past three decades, allowing a touchdown every 4 out of 5 trips.

He's known specifically for the soft zone everyone here detests.

And, I mean... He's a cover 3 guy. That's all he is. He runs the cover 3. It's been figured out, but he'll still run it.

You guys cry out for new ideas and evolution. KNJ evolved a hell of a lot more than Bradley ever did. Bradley's running the same shit he ran a decade ago, and it gets worse and worse. Can't say that for the Seahawks defense, which responded to adversity by significantly altering both scheme and philosophy leading to in-season improvement.

Beren

Reaction score
Excited to see who PC's next patsy is to ask LBs to cover WRs and TEs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ghzw3oj said:
All people have done is push for Norton to be fired, now that he will, people are still complaining. :irishdrinkers:
LOL Exactly this^^ LOL :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Beren":wjxwlgef said:
Excited to see who PC's next patsy is to ask LBs to cover WRs and TEs.

Do you think this is a criticism specific to PC?

If so, boy oh boy, do I have news for you when I define the basic concept of zone defense

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":s3raphsh said:
Sgt. Largent":s3raphsh said:

Sorry, but why?

Gus Bradley just coached the worst red zone defense of the past three decades, allowing a touchdown every 4 out of 5 trips.

He's known specifically for the soft zone everyone here detests.

And, I mean... He's a cover 3 guy. That's all he is. He runs the cover 3. It's been figured out, but he'll still run it.

You guys cry out for new ideas and evolution. KNJ evolved a hell of a lot more than Bradley ever did. Bradley's running the same $h!t he ran a decade ago, and it gets worse and worse. Can't say that for the Seahawks defense, which responded to adversity by significantly altering both scheme and philosophy leading to in-season improvement.

That's why I said track record here.

But that's the thing, I'd be SHOCKED if the next DC wasn't a Pete disciple.

He may have agreed kicking and screaming to bring in an O-coordinator outside his comfort zone, but no way in hell I can see him bringing in a DC that doesn't run his baby, the defense the way he wants it run.

Latest posts