Kyle Shanahan.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":b4hzlv2x said:
I think they saw the Chiefs selling out to stop the run and thought they could kill them off with some quick throws for big yards.

They asked JG to kill the game off for them and he didn't make the plays.

Play-action was by far their best play call the entire game, probably the perfect call against the D the Chiefs were showing. But yes, ya gotta execute.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":114yyxrm said:
Torc":114yyxrm said:
This quote says it all, from Tyrann Mathieu: "We were grateful they got out of the run and started to throw the ball."

(https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... d-run-game)

He's just being a sore winner. I really don't read anything into that.

In any case, apparently Shanny's hat is now one of the things that makes him unlikable? A real Pete Carroll gum chewing moment. :lol: :lol:

If you need a sure sign of this rivalry getting activated again, it's stupid crap like justifying dislike through sartorial choices.

to be honest... its a full year plus of 9ers fans on here pimping boy genius as the second coming and watching him flail around in the big game, again.

The hat is just a reflection of what he is... a self indulgent gimmick

James in PA

Reaction score
77aa60ede9aad8be0e9f7725c588131f.jpg

Two geniuses and the best corner in the game, during happier times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wonder how Saleh's going to do when he starts losing 1st rounders off of that defensive line.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
knownone":guxr7lnr said:
bmorepunk":guxr7lnr said:
I don't know if "getting away from the run" is a valid criticism in this game. They definitely blew that in the NE Super Bowl, and I'll give people crap with that one anytime they bring up "put your foot to their throat!' and "don't let your foot off the gas!". But they started first downs with runs after they were up 20-10; it was more akin to the (often improperly used) "run, pass, pass, punt" criticism I see regarding the Seahawks.

Smith should probably go back and look at the play-by-play, he'd be surprised. But that doesn't make his money being analytical, just hotheaded.
They had a 10 point lead with 10 minutes to go in the game. They dropped back to pass 5 times and ran twice before the Chiefs had taken the lead back with 2 minutes remaining. I think you'd have a point if the Niners weren't averaging over 6 YPC on the ground. As it stands though, they have a run first team and the Chiefs defense could not stop them, so why put the game in Garopolo's hands?

I think that's the issue. Even if they didn't get first downs on the ground, they'd have taken off another 2:30 from the clock while giving their defense a chance to rest. By passing, they took all of the pressure off the Chiefs offense and put it on Garopolo and their defense. In other words, they did exactly what the Chiefs wanted them to do.
Agree knowone, 100%

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2oxxcfk9 said:
I think they saw the Chiefs selling out to stop the run and thought they could kill them off with some quick throws for big yards.

THIS.
Shanahan's calls were pretty much dead on, but JimmyG/SF O-Line didn't execute/KC's Defense made plays.
JG got the ball batted down a couple times on passes that probably would have gone for first downs.
Also, JG passes up EZ throw to Deebo Samuel in the flat for RAC, then nearly gets picked trying to go one too many times to security blanket Kittle. Missed an open Sanders for the go-ahead score. Then got sacked on 4th down without even getting off a throw. On 4th down, JG has to at least get the ball out and give one of his receivers a chance. FAIL.

KC was simply the Team of Destiny this year, this game, more so than any failings people want to attribute to Shanahan. If they work, they're brilliant play calls. If they don't, suddenly he's a dunce.

KC "got lucky" when JimmyG failed to make the needed plays. Then KC "got lucky" again when Mahomes and his compadres succeeded in making the needed plays. Much more about players making plays (or not) at crunch time, not so much about Shanahan.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Just rewatching the game. If Shanahan was happy with 10-10 at halftime then Jimmy G screwed up on second down by snapping the ball with over 10 seconds on the play clock and it running.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Maulbert":1hiektse said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1224168943948124161[/tweet]

:shock:

Is the book written on him? He has now been at the offensive reins of the two biggest blown 4th quarter leads in Super Bowl history. I mean, he choked against Andy Reid, the king of choke jobs!

At the very least, when Stephen A. Smith owns you, you've @#$%&? up hard.

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. Seriously... F that guy.

I will NEVER root for him to win anything after his atrocious play calling in LI.

Grats to KC.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
olyfan63":2yeqfzx7 said:
Uncle Si":2yeqfzx7 said:

THIS.
Shanahan's calls were pretty much dead on, but JimmyG/SF O-Line didn't execute/KC's Defense made plays.
JG got the ball batted down a couple times on passes that probably would have gone for first downs.
Also, JG passes up EZ throw to Deebo Samuel in the flat for RAC, then nearly gets picked trying to go one too many times to security blanket Kittle. Missed an open Sanders for the go-ahead score. Then got sacked on 4th down without even getting off a throw. On 4th down, JG has to at least get the ball out and give one of his receivers a chance. FAIL.

KC was simply the Team of Destiny this year, this game, more so than any failings people want to attribute to Shanahan. If they work, they're brilliant play calls. If they don't, suddenly he's a dunce.

KC "got lucky" when JimmyG failed to make the needed plays. Then KC "got lucky" again when Mahomes and his compadres succeeded in making the needed plays. Much more about players making plays (or not) at crunch time, not so much about Shanahan.

Fully agreed with this.

If people want to blame Moseley blowing his assignment on the 45 yard pass to Hill, I'm all the way there for that. If they want to blame Jimmy for missing (and not targeting) open receivers late in the game, I'm all the way there for that too. If they want to "blame" Chris Jones for having some huge plays, or blame Armstead for not maintaining outside contain on his side while Bosa was maintaining outside contain on his side, again, let's talk. If you want to "blame" the Chiefs for being a really good team that came back over and over again throughout the playoffs, then again, I'm all ears.

When you actually go on a play by play basis without the benefit of hindsight the Shanahan arguments just don't hold water for me, though.

It's a topic because playcalling is the thing that you CAN second guess. Nobody gets to use hindisght to act like they're the smartest guy in the room by second guessing if Moseley should or shouldn't have blown his coverage assignment. :lol:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2vdg0qsa said:
olyfan63":2vdg0qsa said:
Uncle Si":2vdg0qsa said:

THIS.

Fully agreed with this.

If people want to blame Moseley blowing his assignment on the 45 yard pass to Hill, I'm all the way there for that. If they want to blame Jimmy for missing (and not targeting) open receivers late in the game, I'm all the way there for that too. If they want to "blame" Chris Jones for having some huge plays, or blame Armstead for not maintaining outside contain on his side while Bosa was maintaining outside contain on his side, again, let's talk. If you want to "blame" the Chiefs for being a really good team that came back over and over again throughout the playoffs, then again, I'm all ears.

When you actually go on a play by play basis without the benefit of hindsight the Shanahan arguments just don't hold water for me, though.

It's a topic because playcalling is the thing that you CAN second guess. Nobody gets to use hindisght to act like they're the smartest guy in the room by second guessing if Moseley should or shouldn't have blown his coverage assignment. :lol:

In real time my thought was that they should be running because the Chiefs couldn't consistently stop their run game - so a run for a negative yard on first down wouldn't be much of an issue - the Niners had several explosive runs on 2nd and long throughout the game.

Did you not think the same thing? That and the before halftime gaffe are why I question Shanahan.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not using his timeouts before the end of the first half isn't getting enough talk in my opinion. He had a chance to get the ball back with over 2 minutes but decided to just let the Chiefs run the clock.

Boycie

Reaction score
ivotuk":1lcmz3sw said:
I wonder how Saleh's going to do when he starts losing 1st rounders off of that defensive line.

But...but... Saleh is the best DC to ever coach the game. Anyone could get that defense to play like they did. Look how many 1st round picks they had on that side of the ball. That's what happens when you suck for so long.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":mjgvyxy3 said:
Not using his timeouts before the end of the first half isn't getting enough talk in my opinion. He had a chance to get the ball back with over 2 minutes but decided to just let the Chiefs run the clock.

First, he didn't have a chance to get the ball back with over two minutes. The two minute warning happened between second and third down when the Chiefs had the ball.

They failed to convert on third down with about 1:50 left on the clock on the 49 yard line.

In hindsight, because the Chiefs punt was a touchback, it's easy as pie to say that Shanahan should have called a timeout with 1:50 on the clock instead of getting the ball back with 1 minute on the clock.

That's all well and good but it's using hindsight. Back in the real world in real time when you don't have hindsight, the chiefs were about 1/4 of a yard away from pinning the 49ers on the 1 yard line with that punt. Basically, with a 1/4 of a yard difference, Shanahan becomes an idiot FOR calling a timeout instead of an idiot for NOT calling a timeout.

And as for why he wasn't expecting a touchback, it's because he's an NFL head coach and knows something that NFL fans don't know because they don't care about kicking and don't follow the game that closely: the biggest change in punting is that touchbacks off of punts have basically been cut in half in the last 20 years. They're just very rare.

What Shanahan was doing was being strategic and playing the odds. If you get the ball within your ten yard line with under two minutes left, your strategy is to try to just get a first down so you don't have to give the other team the ball back only 15 or 20 yards away from being able to convert a field goal. I didn't object to his thinking on it in the moment, and I don't object to it now, because in the moment I didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

If Colquitt barely pins them on the 1 instead of barely not pinning them on the 1 we're not talking about any of this. If Kittle doesn't get called for OPI down in the Chiefs redzone we're not talking about any of this either.

When the legitimacy of an argument about strategy comes down to an inch here or an inch there after the fact, I just don't think you have a good strategy argument to begin with.

I'm sticking with how I felt in the moment -- I understood the logic of what he was doing and thought it made sense -- because anything after that is using information that nobody had at the time to inform the decision (which just doesn't make any sense).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2j6ircvc said:
ivotuk":2j6ircvc said:

But...but... Saleh is the best DC to ever coach the game. Anyone could get that defense to lay like they did. Look how many 1st round picks they had on that side of the ball. That's what happens when you suck for so long.

Exactly. It's why the Browns, Bengals, Lions, Bucs, Jags, and Raiders have all been cruising to the Super Bowl lately.

Everyone knows that the secret to success is just being really crappy so that you can get high draft picks.

It's precisely why I think the Seahawks would be better off being a 3-13 team.

[/sarcasm]

253hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":35141sz8 said:

It reminded me of John Fox having 2 timeouts, Peyton Manning, Matt Prater's leg, and kneeling the ball to go to OT against the Ravens in the 2013 divisional playoff game. No balls.

evergreen

Reaction score
That non called timeout is the ghost that will haunt them for years. You could even see Lynch in the box signaling TO. I expected them to drive and possibly score. I'm fine with the OFI it was clear on TV, just cuz they didn't call it on Minnesotta doesn't change it. Hollister got one called and we remember DJax. I still think DJax was moe of a balance move than apushoff, he went the other way.
I also think the niners benefitted from low oppositional expectations and sort of got their early success translated into being good. Plus injuries worked out for them too. Now everyone will be up for them and give them a good fight. We almost beat those suckers twice!
Thank goodness that JG didn't hit that wide open Sanders for the win! OMG 0-46 in 4th quarter of the SB, ouch...

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":69duobqg said:
getnasty":69duobqg said:

First, he didn't have a chance to get the ball back with over two minutes. The two minute warning happened between second and third down when the Chiefs had the ball.

They failed to convert on third down with about 1:50 left on the clock on the 49 yard line.

In hindsight, because the Chiefs punt was a touchback, it's easy as pie to say that Shanahan should have called a timeout with 1:50 on the clock instead of getting the ball back with 1 minute on the clock.

That's all well and good but it's using hindsight. Back in the real world in real time when you don't have hindsight, the chiefs were about 1/4 of a yard away from pinning the 49ers on the 1 yard line with that punt. Basically, with a 1/4 of a yard difference, Shanahan becomes an idiot FOR calling a timeout instead of an idiot for NOT calling a timeout.

And as for why he wasn't expecting a touchback, it's because he's an NFL head coach and knows something that NFL fans don't know because they don't care about kicking and don't follow the game that closely: the biggest change in punting is that touchbacks off of punts have basically been cut in half in the last 20 years. They're just very rare.

What Shanahan was doing was being strategic and playing the odds. If you get the ball within your ten yard line with under two minutes left, your strategy is to try to just get a first down so you don't have to give the other team the ball back only 15 or 20 yards away from being able to convert a field goal. I didn't object to his thinking on it in the moment, and I don't object to it now, because in the moment I didn't have the benefit of hindsight.

If Colquitt barely pins them on the 1 instead of barely not pinning them on the 1 we're not talking about any of this. If Kittle doesn't get called for OPI down in the Chiefs redzone we're not talking about any of this either.

When the legitimacy of an argument about strategy comes down to an inch here or an inch there after the fact, I just don't think you have a good strategy argument to begin with.

I'm sticking with how I felt in the moment -- I understood the logic of what he was doing and thought it made sense -- because anything after that is using information that nobody had at the time to inform the decision (which just doesn't make any sense).

The scenario at the end of the half is shocking to Seahawk fans because that's the one situation the Hawks go balls out almost every time because, well...Russell Wilson.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
evergreen":2gvd2tgm said:
That non called timeout is the ghost that will haunt them for years

This is where I disagree and think 9ers fans are onto something.

The Malcolm Butler interception has and will haunt Hawks fans for years. It will be replayed in packages of big super bowl plays for the rest of their lives.

Kyle not calling a timeout before the end of the second half is a detail nobody will care about next week. It will contribute to the narrative about him not being able to win the big one (the same way that narrative was around Reid until four days ago and practically nobody remembers most of those details either), but as an actual memorable thing, it won't be. It was too debatable and way too early in the game to get remembered.