Kyle Shanahan.

toffee

Reaction score
knownone":2khnct64 said:
bmorepunk":2khnct64 said:
I don't know if "getting away from the run" is a valid criticism in this game. They definitely blew that in the NE Super Bowl, and I'll give people crap with that one anytime they bring up "put your foot to their throat!' and "don't let your foot off the gas!". But they started first downs with runs after they were up 20-10; it was more akin to the (often improperly used) "run, pass, pass, punt" criticism I see regarding the Seahawks.

Smith should probably go back and look at the play-by-play, he'd be surprised. But that doesn't make his money being analytical, just hotheaded.
They had a 10 point lead with 10 minutes to go in the game. They dropped back to pass 5 times and ran twice before the Chiefs had taken the lead back with 2 minutes remaining. I think you'd have a point if the Niners weren't averaging over 6 YPC on the ground. As it stands though, they have a run first team and the Chiefs defense could not stop them, so why put the game in Garopolo's hands?

I think that's the issue. Even if they didn't get first downs on the ground, they'd have taken off another 2:30 from the clock while giving their defense a chance to rest. By passing, they took all of the pressure off the Chiefs offense and put it on Garopolo and their defense. In other words, they did exactly what the Chiefs wanted them to do.

Good points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd be so pissed if I was a Niner fan. Once gain, Shanny probably could have run the ball every single time in the final quarter and probably won.

Echoes of 28-3, for sure. I thought he'd learned his lesson.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Kyle Shanahan is still an excellent coach and will most likely keep the Niners relevant for at least the next five years or so. Dogging him because he had Jimmy Crapthebed instead of Matty Ice in this one is just cherry-picking and getting sucked into a media narrative. SF was well-prepared for each and every playoff game, including the SB, and dominated in the Divisional and NFCCG rounds. In the SB they ran into an equally good team with an unbelievably good and clutch QB.

I believe that if every NFL team had to release their head coaches, and then teams drafted head coaches, Shanahan would easily be a lottery pick. Who do you draft ahead of Shanahan? Belichick? Reid? Payton? Harbaugh? Pedersen? Carroll? None of the above? Certainly not one-hit-wonder-boy McVay.

The saving grace for the rest of the league is that now the Niners have to start paying everyone, and it will be hard for them to keep up the level of physical talent and depth that was on display this year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So I'll chime in to say only this...

...Kyle Shanahan is and will be the coach of the 49ers and I, as a Niner fan, am very happy for that to be the case.

I know there are calls that he would like to have back, but he can't make the call and execute the play.

If Jimmy hits that deep shot to Sanders, this is a different conversation. If Chris Jones doesn't get his hand up to bat down a pass to a wide open Kittle, this is a different conversation.

If the Chiefs LT is called for the hold he put on Bosa on 3rd and 15, its now 3rd and 25 instead of 1st and 10 after a 40+ yard gain. It would be a different game.

None of these are excuses. My point is that sometimes you simply don't win the game. The team that loses the Super Bowl gets SOOOOOOO much more heat than the teams that lose the Conference Championship games. The Packers and Titans get off easy because they didn't even make it to the biggest stage.

On that stage, people spend months and years breaking down every single decision and someone always has to be blamed. I don't see it as blame. I see it as one team had to win and the other had to lose. Period. My team was just on the wrong end of it. End of Story. Looking forward to next year.

I still have every confidence in Kyle and would still take him over almost every other coach in the NFL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a damn good coach. But, why abandon your bread and butter? They should have pounded the rock all 2nd half. You'd be likely talking about that 6th ring right now. Jimmy G has proven that when the game is on the line, he can't get it done. Yet

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1w0qnt7v said:
He's a damn good coach. But, why abandon your bread and butter? They should have pounded the rock all 2nd half. You'd be likely talking about that 6th ring right now. Jimmy G has proven that when the game is on the line, he can't get it done. Yet

I think Shanahan got away from the run because the Chiefs D dictated that...IE he saw opportunities there with KC selling out to stop the run.

Those opportunities were there, but for whatever reason they didn't get to take advantage of them. Certainly, Jimmy bears some blame, but he's not alone. He also faced much heavier pressure in the 4th quarter.

As I stated before...Sanders was open, but Jimmy missed him. Kittle was open, but Jones deflected the ball. The D gave up a freakin' 3rd and 15 for a 40 plus yard gain.

No one player was responsible and you have to give it up the other team. Sometimes games aren't just lost. Sometimes the other team WINS them.

Jimmy didn't have a great game. There is no question about that. Its a game of moments though. If Jimmy hits Sanders he's got about 50 more yards, no second INT and another TD. One Pass is different...and his QB rating is up to 100 for the day.

Meanwhile its Mahomes whose stat line is less than impressive and we are all asking if he can win the big one.

My point here isn't to make an excuse. My point here is that ONE PLAY can make such a HUGE difference in perception when putting so large a microscope on a player.

"Can't Get It Done"? Hogwash. Its a game just like any other. They didn't make plays when they needed to. It doesn't mean they "CAN'T". It means they didn't that day. Saying anything else is just hyperbole.

Wilson made one of the biggest mistakes in SB history vs the Pats. I don't say that to bring up a bad memory. I mention it only because on any given play any player can make that mistake. It happens to even the best. Peyton Manning threw a pick 6 vs the Saints. It happens.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ruhjcxx said:
SoulfishHawk":1ruhjcxx said:

I think Shanahan got away from the run because the Chiefs D dictated that...IE he saw opportunities there with KC selling out to stop the run.

Those opportunities were there, but for whatever reason they didn't get to take advantage of them. Certainly, Jimmy bears some blame, but he's not alone. He also faced much heavier pressure in the 4th quarter.

As I stated before...Sanders was open, but Jimmy missed him. Kittle was open, but Jones deflected the ball. The D gave up a freakin' 3rd and 15 for a 40 plus yard gain.

No one player was responsible and you have to give it up the other team. Sometimes games aren't just lost. Sometimes the other team WINS them.

Jimmy didn't have a great game. There is no question about that. Its a game of moments though. If Jimmy hits Sanders he's got about 50 more yards, no second INT and another TD. One Pass is different...and his QB rating is up to 100 for the day.

Meanwhile its Mahomes whose stat line is less than impressive and we are all asking if he can win the big one.

My point here isn't to make an excuse. My point here is that ONE PLAY can make such a HUGE difference in perception when putting so large a microscope on a player.

"Can't Get It Done"? Hogwash. Its a game just like any other. They didn't make plays when they needed to. It doesn't mean they "CAN'T". It means they didn't that day. Saying anything else is just hyperbole.

Wilson made one of the biggest mistakes in SB history vs the Pats. I don't say that to bring up a bad memory. I mention it only because on any given play any player can make that mistake. It happens to even the best. Peyton Manning threw a pick 6 vs the Saints. It happens.

The Chiefs defensive players were quoted as “we were glad they stopped running the ball, because we were not stopping it.”

I think up to the last Mahomes pick the Niners were averaging 6.5 yards per carry.

I know the “KS true believers” don’t want to believe this but after the last Mahomes pick if they run the ball from there on out, the Niners win that game. Every run play if you let the clock run is going to take off at least 35 seconds including the time the play takes regardless if you gain any yardage. At some point, yes KC is going to have to use their timeouts, likely on defense. ....but if you keep getting a first down or 2 it cancels the effect of having the timeouts. The more time that is taken off the clock the more the pressure is on KC.

It didn’t matter if KC was stuffing the box to stop the run, KC proved they were having problems stopping it.
It’s the same BS excuse the Bevell apologists made when the “2nd and wrong” happened in SB49, NE couldn’t stop the run and they were next to last in goal line defense “when they stuffed the box”.

Like Bevell, KS turtled when it mattered most. The moment got too big for him AGAIN.
...and like Bevell he made the same stubborn comment that if “he had to do it again, he wouldn’t change a thing”, and not admit fault for his poor play calls in the 4th qtr and right before half. ....oh and let’s pretend Jimmy makes that throw to Sanders, game isn’t over, still 1:30 left and I believe KC still had 3 timeouts as well.

Poor playcalling and poor QB play cost the Niners the Lombardi trophy.

As someone who doesn’t like the 49’ers, I hope KS never changes, doesn’t take ownership of his mistakes, and keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results. :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Until he actually CAN, I stick with my opinion. Good QB when he has no pressure, very Goff like when he does. And can't get it done when it counts. yet

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1wn1fuyj said:
Until he actually CAN, I stick with my opinion. Good QB when he has no pressure, very Goff like when he does. And can't get it done when it counts. yet

Fair enough.

Man.

Is it September yet? Only cure for the lost Super Bowl blues is another game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2qvzt70i said:
I thought you guys had that win. Hell of a season regardless.

It was, especially given the preseason expectations. Its gonna take a little distance though to see it in that light.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I get it. I was at 49. That interception happened right in front of me. Never been so pissed off at a sporting event.
Later on after I calmed down, I realized it was also just as much on the defense giving up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. All while the offense wasn't playing add on.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1dcdqy7f said:
I get it. I was at 49. That interception happened right in front of me. Never been so pissed off at a sporting event.
Later on after I calmed down, I realized it was also just as much on the defense giving up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter. All while the offense wasn't playing add on.

I still think we would've won if Cliff Avril hadn't gotten hurt.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cliff getting the concussion and Lane (who actually was good at that time) getting hurt killed them big time. Once they started doubling Bennett, the pass rush was gone. Next thing you know, 10 point lead gone in the 4th quarter.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maulbert":3ui7hxzx said:
I still think we would've won if Cliff Avril hadn't gotten hurt.

Totally. I just made that argument in the "YOUR RANKING OF THE CORE PLAYERS FROM THE SUPERBOWL YEARS" thread. Somehow, Cliff Avril was omitted from the list of core players. Avril should have been the MVP of SB48 and losing him mid-game changed SB49.

What does that have to do with Kyle Shanahan? Nothing, really, other than that during the actual SB game, random shit happens that coaches have no control over, and that affect the outcome. Marvin nailed it too a few posts ago. Random shit like Jimmy G not hitting a wide-open Sanders for 6 and likely win. Chris Jones batting a Jimmy G throw to a wide ope Kittle. Now Shanahan is tarred by the media with this fake narrative of being a SB 4th quarter choker due to random events. 28-3? Maybe ATL defense, (not Shanahan's job that year), could have made a stop or two? SB54, 20-10? Mahomes happens. Crapthebedolo happens.