Let's hire Quinn as a consultant

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":100t6ry7 said:
Basis4day":100t6ry7 said:
DomeHawk":100t6ry7 said:
MontanaHawk05":100t6ry7 said:
What if he doesn't want to be just a consultant?

Great way to rebuild your resume after a failed HC tenure.

Plenty of Ex-Head Coaches get another shot at the HC without taking a lesser position. Failing that there is always college or Coordinator positions.

i'm talking about right now, not as a career choice. We are in the midst of what could be a very good run and if he could just come in and work together with the rest of the coaching staff as just another good football mind it might help. People are misconstruing my remarks, I am not suggesting that he come in and take over. Think "consultant."

His hallmark was a D line guru, the stunts and schemes we used under him were aggressive also, guess where we could use some help.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Erebus":92f3k9kl said:
The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

Yes, his defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.

The argument that we had a lot more talent in the LOB days is mostly valid, but ignores the talent we have now. Our back seven is loaded (on paper). Before the season started, most people reasonably thought we'd have a very good secondary. The talent is certainly there, but the sum of the parts seems to be much greater than the whole. That's a coaching issue, and I think Quinn can fix it. Personnel-wise, this defense should be similar to the 2012 defense, which led the league in fewest points allowed: stout defensive line that can't generate a lot of pressure, good linebackers, and an excellent secondary. That's a reasonable goal based on the talent of this defense.

Perfectly said!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Erebus":2q730fy4 said:
The two most common arguments against Quinn are that as a defensive mind, he failed in Atlanta, and he had a buttload of talent here in '13-'14 that he wouldn't have now.

Yes, (Quinn's) defenses sucked in Atlanta, but he was the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. Guess who else is a good defensive minded head coach with a terrible defense? Our very own Pete Carroll. There have been plenty of defensive coordinators promoted to head coach, failed at the head coaching job, and went back to being good/great coordinators. Quinn is certainly still capable of that.
-snip-

What a great point! We know Pete is a defensive mastermind, and yet "his" defense is hot garbage this year. And yeah, there have been a bunch of DC's promoted to HC and fail and then (either move on altogether or) come back to being DC's. For some reason Wade Phillips comes to mind right away, but it seems there have been dozens of them over the years. Buddy Ryan, anyone? Rex Ryan too, for that matter. IIRC Rex made 2 straight AFCCG with Mark Sanchez at QB.

Fade

Reaction score
FS = Good Player
SS = All-Pro (his replacement also has filled in nicely)
LC = ProBowler,
RC = 2nd highest coverage grade by PFF last season
NB = Avg, might be a Good Player, as he has flashed here and there, need more games to determine.

MB = Good Player, borderline All-Pro (at this juncture)
WB = Good Player, and is currently playing out of his mind
SB = eh, up and down (Cody Barton)

5T = Role Player (Good at his job, stop the run.)
3T = Good Player (if not overpriced, but still good.)
1T = Good Player
Leo = Avg Player

= This equals one of the worst defenses in the league? Bottom half at best, bottom three at worst.

Something isn't adding up here. You don't need All-Pros at every position to be an avg defense.

I just can't see Pete hiring Quinn. But it was extremely telling that the media immediately started asking Pete about Quinn, and if he would bring him in. :D Tacitly admitting Norton is not good.

To the people that are saying Quinn's defense was terrible in ATL so he shouldn't be brought back. Don't you realize you're saying Pete is a terrible defensive coach as well then by the same logic. :shock:

Somos doces

Reaction score
I personally don't have enough cash, but maybe if we all pitch in? I'm all for it though — his NFL experience would definitely add a new level of legitimacy to this board.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'd be super surprised if the Hawks have not reached out by now on a consultant agreement.

The bye gives the two sides, if mutually interested, time to work out what expectations are.

The expectation should obviously be that KNJ is on notice, kind of like a QB competition.

I