LJ Collier

Cyrus12

Reaction score
So the first round pick has not been a factor at all this year. What's the deal? Was it a huge reach? Injuries? Thankfully we got a first rd talent in Metcslf this year and I think Blair will be good as well.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Overall I'd say we got a terrific class of rookies this year. The Collier pick turned out to be something of a bonus pick, so if he turns out to be a bust we still made out good. Reason for that is due to our other acquisitions that were possible due to getting out of Frank's salary blow. Clowney, by himself, could turn out to make us a big winner on that deal, but we got so much more than that out of it. As for Collier, we still don't know he won't turn into something of value.
I like what I'm seeing from Greene. He seems to be coming on real strong.

Rat

Reaction score
I certainly wasn't thinking we would get a Bosa-type rookie season from Collier, but I don't think it's unfair to suggest that a little more was expected from him at this point. Hopefully, another offseason with the team will get him going. He wouldn't be the first.

We could definitely use him next year, as the cupboard looks pretty bare, even if we can reach an agreement with Clowney; something both sides seem motivated to do in the early going. Ziggy is unreliable and I'm not sure he's worth bringing back at any price. I know Greene has been in some big plays lately, but I've been underwhelmed with him and don't see anything more than maybe a decent backup who signs a modest contract with somebody else when his rookie deal is up,

We might be in a position to invest another pick in the first few rounds on a DE, but I've always adopted the school of thought that pass rushers should always be in heavy consideration early anyway unless the group you have is absolutely ridiculous. You can always find snaps for them.

Boycie

Reaction score
Didn’t he miss a lot of training camp? Maybe that coupled with the fact that some other guys have stepped up has put him down the pecking order?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rat":iz39jzw5 said:
I certainly wasn't thinking we would get a Bosa-type rookie season from Collier, but I don't think it's unfair to suggest that a little more was expected from him at this point. Hopefully, another offseason with the team will get him going. He wouldn't be the first.

We could definitely use him next year, as the cupboard looks pretty bare, even if we can reach an agreement with Clowney; something both sides seem motivated to do in the early going. Ziggy is unreliable and I'm not sure he's worth bringing back at any price. I know Greene has been in some big plays lately, but I've been underwhelmed with him and don't see anything more than maybe a decent backup who signs a modest contract with somebody else when his rookie deal is up,

We might be in a position to invest another pick in the first few rounds on a DE, but I've always adopted the school of thought that pass rushers should always be in heavy consideration early anyway unless the group you have is absolutely ridiculous. You can always find snaps for them.
Agree with everything you said except your assessment of Greene. Because he came in so young at age 20 and because of the progress we've seen this year I'm optimistic he'll reach at least "quality starter" level. Obviously time will tell.

Taehwk

Reaction score
This totally reminds me of what everyone was saying about Penny last year.
Penny turned the corner and is now contributing ...just give a young player time to learn and/or get healthy.
Let’s cool the jets and just give the kid time to adjust to the NFL.

Seafan

Reaction score
Remember Penny's injury riddled rookie preseason? It didn't help him get off to a good start. Plus, fans believe that Collier was supposed to be strong pass rushing DE. He's not a LEO. He is going to be a decent run stopping DE, perhaps more. Remember Rasheem Green? Fans here thought Penny and Green were busts. Wait until next season. Collier will be in the mix.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He'll be just fine. It usually takes DEs a while to matter. That, coupled with the early injuries, make me completely at ease with Collier. He's literally who i was hoping for in the first.

I think his absolute floor is N.D. Kalu (great against the run, above average in pass rush).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think he's just behind a lot of guys that have been in the system awhile and are more trustworthy. He translates to a Clowney/Green/Jefferson type and all those three are healthy and playing well.

No real place for him on Sunday right now so this really is a red shirt year. Much like Poona and Green last year were healthy scratches a lot last year as rookies.

So I'm not worried until mid way through next year. If he hasn't flashed by then, then I'm officially on the bust wagon.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
Agreed with the Penny (and any other late first-round pick) comparisons. If the Hawks were drafting in the top 8-10 I’d be somewhat more concerned. But I’m fully on board with giving any later pick plenty of opportunities to mature, heal, and/or get used to the speed and power of the NFL before labeling him a bust. Way premature at this point.

rcaido

Reaction score
We needed a DE for Clark replacement. There was no DE picked in the 2nd round. The next pick was 65 Zach Allen from the Cardinals. Only Maxx Crosbey from the Raiders has 7sacks that was picked in the later round.

Looking at the draft now, not many great DE available to choose from. LJ hasn't gotten that many snaps at all and w/ his injury & Clowney doing 70 to 80% of the snaps.

Its kind of like the Penny situation all over again.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Well, why doesn't Pete just put LJ in at the end of blowout games so everyone can get a look at his game, see what we've got? Oops. We haven't really had any blowout games when LJ's been healthy. Never mind.

kobebryant

Reaction score
He was injured in camp, which kind of derailed his start and he's behind good players in a deep defensive line rotation.

But I'd definitely preach patience, look at the 2018 class now: Penny, Rasheem, Dissly, Tre, Quem, Jamarco, Dickson, Jacob Martin (flipped to help acquire Clowney). It takes some time, especially when you have solid veterans at a lot of positions.

justafan

Reaction score
I agree with the posts about missing training camp. It just tough playing catchup for a rookie.

At this time of the year coaches spend more time on game plans than working on players that fell behind. Especially with rule changes limiting time and intensity of practice. I usually dont expect much from rookies but i feel he will play a part in our future,

Largent80

Reaction score
Look at Rasheem Green. He basically redshirted his rookie year and is JUST NOW starting to play well.

Patience young Padawan.

GLio14

Reaction score
We also thought Rashaad Penny was a bust. Let's give him another year or two before we can pass judgements.

Largent80

Reaction score
GLio14":2h4qqy84 said:
We also thought Rashaad Penny was a bust. Let's give him another year or two before we can pass judgements.

I never thought he was a bust. He made the most of limited playing time and now look at him....He's the perfect second to Carson.

nanomoz

Reaction score
GLio14":9917xnub said:

Only those that are stupid and/or have no perspective thought this. :irishdrinkers: