LJ Collier

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2xcau0c5 said:
TwistedHusky":2xcau0c5 said:
This team makes a lot of reaches.

When it works out, you get a Metcalf, Carson, or Clark.

When it doesn't you get Malik McWhatshisname or LJ Collier.

If you want them to swing for the fences, you have to accept the batting average is going to drop.

We draft for upside not for ability. So we get a lot of guys that got overlooked but we also have problems filling holes because we never know where our best players will come from. We take lots of shots in the dark, we sometimes get a few hits.
The thing is those three weren’t reaches. LJ Collier I believe was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. John basically admitted it was. I'm happy, though, that he's improved so much over 2019. He has a chance of actually panning out pretty well, and thats exciting after having the fear that he was a completely sunk pick.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1xyq2rrt said:
Elemas":1xyq2rrt said:
Maelstrom787":1xyq2rrt said:
Elemas":1xyq2rrt said:
Well, regardless of draft position, we call all agree that he just isn't cutting it.

Let's say he was drafted in the 5th. Based on his performance right now, would you say the pick was justified?

I wouldn't. Let alone a first.

Let's call it what it is. A bust.

Well, that's highly ridiculous, but alright.

Which part? As it stands, I'm not sure as to what myself and many others are missing? Stats aren't everything once you're established (maybe you're so good you're getting double-teamed) but, they certainly count for LJ.

Something I'm missing?

You're missing a lot. To be fair, though, most here are.

Firstly, let's dive into some context on Collier. He was injured in 2019 and never got fully healthy. This has been confirmed by Carroll. His 2019 snaps were terrible, which makes sense given the dude could hardly plant, much less anchor properly.

Moving on to 2020, Collier slims down, adds explosion, and wins a starting job in camp after being written off and pushed around in a taxing 2019 season. Better yet, he plays competently! He shows the anchor, he shows a new, quicker first step, and he shows the versatility to move inside and out. He even makes a game winning tackle on Cam Newton.

Heck, let's go to the Vikings game - check out this rush from the 3. This is in his 6th game as a HEALTHY pro player, and he is slimmer, faster, and has some juice to him for such a stout guy.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1316437446612054019[/tweet]

People need to stop letting their sour taste from 2019 dictate the entire narrative. He's finally healthy, has improved a great deal, and won a starting spot - no one likes to talk about these things, they just keep whining as if nothing has changed.

Finally, let's check out his stats as of after the Vikings game, courtesy of a SI commenter with a PFF subscription. This shows, clearly, that he is filling a role - IN HIS FIRST REAL, HEALTHY ACTION. This is good. It indicates upside.

In weeks 1 through 5 Collier has played 189 snaps. This is less than what Jefferson (233) and Green (201) played in the first 5 weeks of 2019.

Colliers projected totals for tackles (19), sacks (3.2) and pressures (28.8) compared to Jefferson (26 tkl, 3.5 sacks and 16 pressures) and Green (27 tkl, 4 sacks and 15 pressures) in 2019.

To say Collier isn't worthy of a late first? Sure, you know what, that's debatable. We'll see how he continues to grow after an unfortunate injury-plagued 2019. But to make that comment about him not filling the role of a fifth rounder? That's either severely wrong or purposely ridiculous.

Thanks for sharing your perspective but, I think it's ridiculous to say that him being a first round pick is debatable. Clearly, it's not. At this point, it's not. Can he improve? Sure hope so but...

You mentioned 2019 injuries and that he won the starting position. He did make a nice tackle on Cam as well.

He won the starting spot on arguably the worst defensive line in the NFL. His current stats, don't project what you stated. Looks like you directly quoted that article about him in Sports Illustrated. They're wrong.

Maybe it was wrong to say he wasn't worth a fifth round pick. But I know he certainly wouldn't of been my first round pick.

For fun, look up the stats of the three guys selected behind him.

With all that said, it's good to be positive. Maybe he becomes a force? Just not seeing it right now....

toffee

Reaction score
Felt like he didn't contribute much vs 9ers. How many snaps did he play?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk