Mac Jones

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":opnovzg3 said:
TAB420":opnovzg3 said:
So who do you see picking Lance before #12? If Miami stays at #3 I still see them picking a WR. And no one else made a move for fields until #11. That tells me that it was very likely that Mac and Lance(maybe fields if Chicago picked Lance at #11) would have been there at #12. Everything I read from Da Bears had them salivating over Fields weeks/months before the draft. I think they still pick Fields at #11 even if Lance is still on the board. But at the end of the day no one knows what might have gone down. Just like no one knows if using 3 first round picks for a player (who has never played pro ball) was a smart move or cpmplete reach.

I believe that Jones was actually in contention with the 49ers. But the fan vitriol was off the hook about them going for someone at #3 that someone else had at #15. That's still a pretty high pick, and it's possible the Patriots also feel that way about him.

It's like all quarterbacks. You have to wait and see. Sometimes that sure hand isn't one, i.e. Mariota and Winston. Happens a lot more often than finding The One.

Given the fact that I NEVER thought the pick was Jones, the fact that Lance made the most sense given the context of the comments Kyle and John made prior to the trade (and I mean like comments after Bills game last year), the fact that its well known that the only people who knew who the pick was were Kyle and John and the staff in SF didn't even know until the Jets were on the clock, the fact that every single comment post draft draws the timeline that they made the trade up with Lance in mind AND the fact that they actually SELECTED Lance...

...I'd say it highly dubious that the pick was ever going to be Mac...or rather that the move was made with Mac in mind. That NEVER made any sense. It was nothing more than rumors in an echo chamber.

Honestly, Kyle Shanahan doesn't give 2 sh*ts about public perception. If anyone REALLY thinks that public outcry moved his decision, then you don't get Kyle Shanahan.

The move was made right after the NDSU pro day and the move was made with Lance in mind. I think peeps need to get that through their heads and realize the Mac stuff is and always was nonsense.

As for if they needed to get to 3...clearly there is disagreement on that so I really don't want to re-litigate.

All I know is the Niners got a young QB I'm excited about and I can't wait to see him play. I also think that's the real genesis of many (and certainly not all) of the negative comments RE the pick. I have no idea if he'll end up being Steve Young or Jamarcus Russell...but I think there is concern here in this forums fanbase that he MIGHT be good.

OP
OP
TAB420

TAB420

Reaction score
"but I think there is concern here in this forums fanbase that he MIGHT be good."
Maybe, just like maybe the reason (some) Niner fans get so defensive about the pick is the fact they know he might have been there at #12 and saved y'all two 1st round picks. I guess we'll never know.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":3c42jodc said:
"but I think there is concern here in this forums fanbase that he MIGHT be good."
Maybe, just like maybe the reason (some) Niner fans get so defensive about the pick is the fact they know he might have been there at #12 and saved y'all two 1st round picks. I guess we'll never know.

Fair.

I'll just say this tho...I honestly don't think he'd have been there anywhere close to 12. Just my opinion and not based on 49ers making the pick. I think Lance was higher in teams eyes than fans realize and Fields was lower in teams eyes than fans realize. I say that as someone who wanted Fields even tho my head was saying the pick would be Lance.

Also, all the teams in the top 10 who made a trade move at QB did so AFTER the 49ers moved up to 3. So saying "well the Panthers had Darnold so they wouldn't have taken a QB", they got Darnold AFTER the 49ers trade. Same with Denver and Bridgewater.

You are entirely correct though. We'll never really know. Reality is that Niners moving up to 3 shook up the draft order at the top and we'll really never know who would have selected who at the top. If Miami sits there and takes Pitts at 3 or moves out for another team who wanted Pitts, what does Atlanta do now? Take Lance to groom behind Ryan? If they take a WR, what happens with the next few picks?

The move to 3 has a cascade effect. change who goes at 3 and the entire top 10 might look different. Who knows what would have happened, but my personal opinion is that there is no way Lance gets anywhere close to 12.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":3k3xviiv said:
SantaClaraHawk":3k3xviiv said:
TAB420":3k3xviiv said:
So who do you see picking Lance before #12? If Miami stays at #3 I still see them picking a WR. And no one else made a move for fields until #11. That tells me that it was very likely that Mac and Lance(maybe fields if Chicago picked Lance at #11) would have been there at #12. Everything I read from Da Bears had them salivating over Fields weeks/months before the draft. I think they still pick Fields at #11 even if Lance is still on the board. But at the end of the day no one knows what might have gone down. Just like no one knows if using 3 first round picks for a player (who has never played pro ball) was a smart move or cpmplete reach.

I believe that Jones was actually in contention with the 49ers. But the fan vitriol was off the hook about them going for someone at #3 that someone else had at #15. That's still a pretty high pick, and it's possible the Patriots also feel that way about him.

It's like all quarterbacks. You have to wait and see. Sometimes that sure hand isn't one, i.e. Mariota and Winston. Happens a lot more often than finding The One.

Given the fact that I NEVER thought the pick was Jones, the fact that Lance made the most sense given the context of the comments Kyle and John made prior to the trade (and I mean like comments after Bills game last year), the fact that its well known that the only people who knew who the pick was were Kyle and John and the staff in SF didn't even know until the Jets were on the clock, the fact that every single comment post draft draws the timeline that they made the trade up with Lance in mind AND the fact that they actually SELECTED Lance...

...I'd say it highly dubious that the pick was ever going to be Mac...or rather that the move was made with Mac in mind. That NEVER made any sense. It was nothing more than rumors in an echo chamber.

Honestly, Kyle Shanahan doesn't give 2 sh*ts about public perception. If anyone REALLY thinks that public outcry moved his decision, then you don't get Kyle Shanahan.

The move was made right after the NDSU pro day and the move was made with Lance in mind. I think peeps need to get that through their heads and realize the Mac stuff is and always was nonsense.

As for if they needed to get to 3...clearly there is disagreement on that so I really don't want to re-litigate.

All I know is the Niners got a young QB I'm excited about and I can't wait to see him play. I also think that's the real genesis of many (and certainly not all) of the negative comments RE the pick. I have no idea if he'll end up being Steve Young or Jamarcus Russell...but I think there is concern here in this forums fanbase that he MIGHT be good.
This feels like revisionist history. Several credible sources said the Niners were considering Jones at 3. Now, It makes perfect sense for the Niners to come out and say that Lance was their guy all along, but that doesn't make it any more plausible than them buckling under fan pressure.

Similarly, the Seahawks front office handled the Russell Wilson situation the same way the Niners handled this, by denying the possibility and inserting their own narrative. Meanwhile, we know for certain that Seattle's explanation that it was a "media creation" was BS. So it's at least plausible that SF's explanation is also BS.

I'm honestly not sure why this is such a contentious point for Niners fans. Who cares Lance was always their guy, or if they were considering Mac and ultimately drafted Lance because of backlash, or whatever. I guarantee if Lance busts and Jones is a star, some Niners fans will find a way to spin it so that Kyle actually wanted Jones but let the front office talk him out of it... If that sounds familiar, it's because that's how my Niner's friends rationalize trading for Jimmy G.

I mean, let's be very clear, this is a front office that has had a legitimate shot to draft 4 of the best young QB's in the league, and they didn't. So whether they liked Lance all along or not should be irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether to not he can play.