Miller to Rams!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":u50n4ln9 said:
It appears clear that the Rams are going ‘all in’ this season. It is also clear that they will eventually find themselves a tad hamstrung by their cap situation but as has been observed here the cap can be manipulated to work around the problem but with no draft picks and an expensive aging roster that problem will not be as easy to work around..

Haven't we been saying this about the Rams for 3-4 years?

- Oh just wait until they have to pay Goff
- traded for Ramsey, oh just wait until they have to pay him
- Leonard Floyd, Whitworth, Woods, Donald's new contract

Now they traded for Stafford and Miller, and we're still saying "oh just wait!"

Nah, good teams know what players are worth leveraging your cap and future picks for, and desperate teams like us keep making the wrong big trades over and over. Harvin, Graham, Brown to an extent and now Adams. Dumb.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tqq685o said:
jammerhawk":3tqq685o said:
It appears clear that the Rams are going ‘all in’ this season. It is also clear that they will eventually find themselves a tad hamstrung by their cap situation but as has been observed here the cap can be manipulated to work around the problem but with no draft picks and an expensive aging roster that problem will not be as easy to work around..

Nah, good teams know what players are worth leveraging your cap and future picks for, and desperate teams like us keep making the wrong big trades over and over. Harvin, Graham, Brown to an extent and now Adams. Dumb.

it will be interesting to see what the JA trade looks like in 2-3 years... I think its early to make that judgement...

LTH

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33wqb4o8 said:
jammerhawk":33wqb4o8 said:

Exactly. The Rams demise should've already happened two years ago. But it hasn't because people way over value "cap space."

It's not how much cap space you have, but how you allocate it. The Seahawks have done a poor job over the last 5 years. The Rams have done a great job the last 5 years. That is the difference.

Lawke

Reaction score
Another thing to note is the broncos are picking up 9 million of millers 9.7 cap hit, so the rams get him for less than a mill. Overall id say its a good trade for a team looking to legitimately compete for a title.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Lawke":3tibkhnb said:
Another thing to note is the broncos are picking up 9 million of millers 9.7 cap hit, so the rams get him for less than a mill. Overall id say its a good trade for a team looking to legitimately compete for a title.
Not really noteworthy since Miller's cap had already been figured in to this season and budgeted for, hence they really lose nothing but rather gain a substantial amount of draft capital in the process.

Rat

Reaction score
Yep, if there is one lesson we've learned repeatedly in the modern NFL, it's that "cap hell" is more overrated than the PAC-12. It's not the NBA where you have fully guaranteed contracts and have to match salary on trades; there's always a way to manipulate the cap to create more room.

LoyalRam

Reaction score
ivotuk":3czthx14 said:
Rams got suckered with an over the hill, injury prone LB.

"I will play well in this game. ... I'm going to have a great game," Miller told reporters. "I don't know who the tackle I'm going against is, but I'm going to kill him."

But the Browns, playing with a backup quarterback and third-string running back, won 17-14, and Miller left the game in the second quarter after injuring his ankle. He had two tackles and one quarterback hit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vo ... ar-AAPPMWj

You think? Von Miller was AFC Defensive Player of the month in September, this season. He will be part of a rotation that was already good before he came and the Rams defensive system is Vic Fangio based, which is what Miller has been in for a while (no learning curve). The rec3nt ankle injury may, or may not be legit, since Snead has been working on this trade for more than a week. If you remember, Ramsey supposedly injured before his trade to the Rams...

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting details ......................

The actual trade here is Von Miller and $9 million in cash for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Miller still had $9.72 million in salary remaining this year which was going to be too much for almost any team to absorb. The Rams had around $5 million in cap room and basically got the Broncos to eat almost the entire contract. I would assume that Denver will convert $9 million of salary to a bonus today and change his P5 to a base rate of $1.3 million which would prorate out to $722,222, which is the salary and cap space that the Rams will need for the trade. Considering that Miller will replace someone on the roster that makes the net cost to the Rams no more than $355K.

There is more via this link >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/rams-acquire-von-miller/[/urltargetblank] Enjoy :biggthumpup:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Short term Winn for the Rams if he can stay on the field, long term loss as they are trading away future draft picks.
I’m surprised they had any left to trade away.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2fs9ua1t said:
According to my calculations the Rams now have a 5th and two 7ths in the 22 draft. Looks like they are going all in. In '23, they only have a 2,3,and a 7. Restocking their roster going forward may be difficult at best. Not sure about their cap room to add free agents, but I'm guessing not much based on some of the marquee names they have.
They expect to be getting 5 COMP picks for losing FA’s, a fourth and 4 six rounders, is what I read somewhere.
It’s an ALL IN move, only time will tell if it backfires or works.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3v5ohfyd said:
oldhawkfan":3v5ohfyd said:
According to my calculations the Rams now have a 5th and two 7ths in the 22 draft. Looks like they are going all in. In '23, they only have a 2,3,and a 7. Restocking their roster going forward may be difficult at best. Not sure about their cap room to add free agents, but I'm guessing not much based on some of the marquee names they have.
They expect to be getting 5 COMP picks for losing FA’s, a fourth and 4 six rounders, is what I read somewhere.

Somewhere, PC is aggressively chewing his gum in admiration and jealousy

chris98251

Reaction score
MyrtleHawk":1fpazhnj said:
Sports Hernia":1fpazhnj said:
oldhawkfan":1fpazhnj said:

No he is asking John, how did they do that?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
chris98251":11uxl5l8 said:
MyrtleHawk":11uxl5l8 said:
Sports Hernia":11uxl5l8 said:
oldhawkfan":11uxl5l8 said:

No he is asking John, how did they do that?

I accept that, with his clueless stare as he's listening to the voice inside his ear and partially acknowledging it while simultaneously questioning it

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":19efxibn said:
oldhawkfan":19efxibn said:

The maximum number of compensation picks any one team can be awarded is 4.

I find what General Manager Les Snead is doing interesting. Snead is effectively selling two draft picks for a player while enlarging his teams cap number over the 2021 number via buying some cap room from the Broncos by having the Broncos provide their money to pay the player's services.

The cap matters. This is an example of the how the salary cap can be creatively manipulated while using other people's money.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":cfejwdjt said:

Yep we will get five comp picks total - one for Holmes and then four for players lost. So as it stands right now, we would have 8 draft picks total.

Basically the same exact draft we had this year minus a second rounder.

Roughly 25% of our starters came from day 3 of the draft. Another aspect of this strategy is that it allows our scouts to put more time into late round guys.

We will have six starters to re-sign (including Miller), and three offensive linemen. Considering how good our OL is, I expect the Rams to sign those three and then Von. Letting Sebastian Joseph-Day and Darious Williams go - which will likely net us two high comp picks for 2023.

SJDs replacement is already on the roster - he's a really good player but mainly a run defender. Williams will be tougher to replace, although he's been hurt so we've been able to see what that might look like. CB would be the only position we might dip into FA for, but more likely we would sign a vet for cheap.

The other thing about this strategy is that if we re-sign the OL, there really isnt a glaring hole on the roster, and contrary to what the media says, we've accumulated depth the last few years by drafting and developing.

The thing that sucks in all this is that the NFC is so damn strong this year. Even with Miller and with all teams at full strength, I think the top of the NFC is too close to call

flv

Reaction score
Jville":3hy0vbvu said:
The maximum number of compensation picks any one team can be awarded is 4.

I find what General Manager Les Snead is doing interesting. Snead is effectively selling two draft picks for a player while enlarging his teams cap number over the 2021 number via buying some cap room from the Broncos by having the Broncos provide their money to pay the player's services.

The cap matters. This is an example of the how the salary cap can be creatively manipulated while using other people's money.
Spot on. It's about using resources and both cap & picks are separate resources. The Rams had picks but not cap space. Miller is worth X. Miller + $9M is worth X + Y.