Mina Kimes on the NFC West

sc85sis

Reaction score
Not at all. Can you tell me honesty that when hired, that she was the most qualified of any person? If the answer is no, than there was some fishy hiring going on.
No, because none of us is probably the MOST qualified of ANY person. That's a ridiculous question.

Were Troy Aikman, Chris Collinsworth, Tony Romo, et al the most qualified? Maybe, maybe not - but they were hired. Why is it OK for men but not women?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Not at all. Can you tell me honesty that when hired, that she was the most qualified of any person? If the answer is no, than there was some fishy hiring going on.
She's easily the most qualified and currently one of the most popular writers and TV analyst on their network. that's proof her hiring was correct
She brings in readers and viewership (which is the point of the job) through her work.

Now prove me wrong. I'm looking for facts here. Who was more qualified but not hired because of Mina and why?

Eamon696

Reaction score
Also, attack the post not the poster! This is what seperates the fourms. Follow the rules or get to steppin son!
An attitude that should carry over to the subjects being discussed imo - Attack the content, not the content creator.

Not sure why people feel the need to get so personal when it comes to attacking a human being who talks on ESPN and makes podcasts. Who the hell cares who ESPN hires and why? Its not a big deal, and for that to be the first reaction in a thread is laughable

W

Welshers

Still waiting for someone to put their credibility on the line and say she was the most quailfied candidate for the job.
OK. She was the most qualified candidate for the job. Do you have any examples of who she was competing with or are you just making assumptions? It certainly seems short sighted to say "she got the job for being a woman, there were more qualified" without even knowing the other competitors

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Qualified is a weirdly subjective term.

Is the objective experience & background?

Or potential?

Or fit with existing team members?
Or something else?
I find it strange that someone completely outside the process has such strong views on whether or not she failed to meet qualifications that don't seem to have been publicly defined as of yet.

It is a bizarre thread though. Because there are so many more important things to be concerned about vs this.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Here's her wikipedia page so you can learn about what an accomplished journalist she is.

I also googled "kansas city broncos game" for you as well, so you can solve the 10:17 mystery.

As for "Shall we Lance?" I imagine it is a reference to SF QB Trey Lance who was also a subject of her NFCW podcast.

Happy to help!
Thanks for your very thorough answer.
For me,
1. the title was uncomfortably cute: "Shall we Dance?" would have been an upgrade...and we all know who Lance is, and how much fun he could be, for Mina.
2. Mina rushed through this homework chore, and so did Derrik. They didn't want to do any homework, and they did the minimum. Mina admitted that she had to 'go back and watch Geno', (because she was too busy to watch him last year)
3. Regarding Mina's "Holy C+++! The Chiefs' defense, by the way!" may have been because of impressive TD runs by Melvin Gordon and Drew Lock.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Yale doesnt even rank in the top 100 for Journalism and she never played the game of football.
So she is guessing about the topic she is covering and her education to make journalistic choices on national TV is sub standard.

Education is out, real life experience about the topic is out...so any former NFL player who can write a sentence was more qualified in 2014.

Spohawks

Reaction score
You: Hi Doctor, can I ask you a couple of questions before you start my heart surgery?
Doctor: Sure
You: Did your school rank in the top 100 for heart surgery education?
Doctor: HAHAHA no, but I am really cute.
You: Have you ever done heart surgeries before?
Doctor: Nope, zero experience...but I wrote a paper on it.
You: Well lets get down to business Doc, you are Dot Net certified!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You: Hi Doctor, can I ask you a couple of questions before you start my heart surgery?
Doctor: Sure
You: Did your school rank in the top 100 for heart surgery education?
Doctor: HAHAHA no, but I am really cute.
You: Have you ever done heart surgeries before?
Doctor: Nope, zero experience...but I wrote a paper on it.
You: Well lets get down to business Doc, you are Dot Net certified!
You're being an absolute dope.

Sports journalism is about driving engagement and clicks. You're raging about her on an internet forum and giving her free advertising just because you're impossibly insecure.

Sounds pretty god damn qualified to me, sport.

Unline Tim Tebow.

Spohawks

Reaction score
You're being an absolute dope.

Sports journalism is about driving engagement and clicks. You're raging about her on an internet forum and giving her free advertising just because you're impossibly insecure.

Sounds pretty god damn qualified to me, sport.

Unline Tim Tebow.
Again with the name calling. Its like we need a refresher course on .Net behaviour.

You show me 1 example from a college journalist professor that says "Sports journalism is about clicks and driving engagement".

Otherwise you admit you are obsessed and love Tebows throwing motion. BACK UP YOUR MOUTH 787!!!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Again with the name calling. Its like we need a refresher course on .Net behaviour.

You show me 1 example from a college journalist professor that says "Sports journalism is about clicks and driving engagement".

Otherwise you admit you are obsessed and love Tebows throwing motion. BACK UP YOUR MOUTH 787!!!
No, because you're framing the qualifications for journalism incorrectly. No one cares what you want. You're irrelevant in this discussion.

No one gives half a shit what you want or care about. You're not hiring journalists. You don't have the money, and no one knows who you are. You have no platform.

The professors also are not hiring journalists - just like polisci professors aren't creating public policy, for the most part. Ain't it interesting how that works?

The people who are hiring journalists determine the qualifications, and Mina has proven popular, largely because people like you drive engagement.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As it turns out, message board conspiracy theorists generally aren't the people that actual high-level journalism outfits ask for approval on hiring decisions. Shocking, I know.

chrispy

Reaction score
This thread proves her qualifications. ESPN isn't successful when they're right. They're successful when they're relevant. This thread demonstrates she does just that.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
What'd you all think of the article though???

*ETA, Video..I'm am idiot.

JPatera76

Reaction score
this is a shit thread, and at this point Isn't even "Seahawk" related, its been derailed, hijacked and turned into some bullshit dislike thread by spohawk, where he goes full John63 to dislike her and refused anyone's input and responds with bullshit "just waiting..." "still waiting..." Those who have posted here have given some reason or another why she's not bad, could be worse, and if qualified. It should be either moved to the shack, or other sub forums.

PS Corbin Smith, is a crybaby b**** and is worse than her. He literally whines and throws tantrums.

OP
OP
Own The West

Own The West

Reaction score
Still waiting for someone to put their credibility on the line and say she was the most quailfied candidate for the job.

All of this crying and for what? A statement of fact that you don't like.

They can hire whomever they like and thats fine. But when they hire a lesser qualified person, don't be shocked when the candidate/ownership gets called out a little.
Oh, is that all you were waiting for? Well here:

She was the most qualified candidate for the job.

Since she got the job based on the merit of her published work in 2014 and has since been promoted and branched out into other media, I can say the hire turned out very well for both her and ESPN.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

All of this crying and for what? A statement of fact that you don't like.

They can hire whomever they like and thats fine. But when they hire a lesser qualified person, don't be shocked when the candidate/ownership gets called out a little.
They apparently cannot hire whomever they want and have it be fine with you. Tell you what, I'll put my credibility on the line and say she was the most qualified candidate for the job.

The key is the word "candidate." The pool of people under consideration for that job is quite small. It doesn't include every person on the planet, many of whom just may be more qualified than her. But they don't count if they hadn't applied or weren't being considered.

So out of the small group of people from which the successful candidate would be picked, who was more qualified than her?

Last edited: