Mort: Texas names Pete Carroll as 'A-list' candidate

HansGruber

Reaction score
No way. Pete wants to go out on top. Wouldn't even make sense to go backward like that.

amill87

Reaction score
What the hell is all this Texas crap about anyways? Why is this even a story?

I'm not just talking about Carroll. But McCarthy and Harbaugh getting thrown around too? It's just stupid, why would a NFL coach that is successful at the NFL level go down to the college level?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Boss, de plane, de plane!!

Here's a picture of Texas AD Steve Patterson.........

herve_villechaize1_portrait_w532.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When college's do this, it's not because they realistically think they have a chance to sign those A-List coaches, it's a PR stunt to show their boosters and fans how lofty their coach expectations are. "Hey look fans, Texas is so awesome that we only go after the best coaches on the planet!"

Texas is still one of the top 2-3 college coaching jobs in the country, key word "college." But IMO ever since most of the Big 10 jumped ship to the SEC it's lost some of it's luster.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
There is no way Coach Pete is going anywhere but to the SB... Paul Allen wouldn't even blink to make sure Coach Pete is in Seattle with no speculation whatsoever of going to Texas.... Nothing here to even think about less alone worry about....

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He has nothing left to prove in college, and tons to prove in the NFL. It would be crazy to not finish what he has started with the Seahawks.

Steve2222

Reaction score
USC > Texas

It'd be a downgrade if he went back to the college ranks if that's the job. Pete still has a chip on his shoulder with the NFL and wants to prove he can win a championship in the big leagues. I doubt he'd even ponder the thought of going back until he either A.) wins a Lombardi or B.) Gets fired.

I'm more nervous of Russell going to baseball than I am of Pete going back to college. And I'm not worried at all about Russell.

amill87

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16u5fzfh said:
When college's do this, it's not because they realistically think they have a chance to sign those A-List coaches, it's a PR stunt to show their boosters and fans how lofty their coach expectations are. "Hey look fans, Texas is so awesome that we only go after the best coaches on the planet!"

Texas is still one of the top 2-3 college coaching jobs in the country, key word "college." But IMO ever since most of the Big 10 jumped ship to the SEC it's lost some of it's luster.

But it's just stupid. No successful NFL coach would go back to college no matter what NFL team they are coaching. You think even Bradley would leave Jacksonville for Texas?

The better move would be to go after some NFL coordinators. That is much more realistic IMO.

pmedic920

Reaction score
amill87":1vrdbpfm said:

I'm not just talking about Carroll. But McCarthy and Harbaugh getting thrown around too? It's just stupid, why would a NFL coach that is successful at the NFL level go down to the college level?

I'll give you 10,000,000 reasons why a guy might consider a move from the NFL to the NCAA.
$$$$$$ talks.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
One thing of note is Pete's contract expires soon.. he's probably due a nice extension/raise

And I don't know what JS makes, but that should probably be raised as well.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Because they are big boy TEXAS and they think they can cherry pick every good coach at ANY level, that's how important they are!

Keep dreaming. Pete, McCarthy and Harbaugh are not going anywhere.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
amill87":3iwjnvsm said:
Sgt. Largent":3iwjnvsm said:

But it's just stupid. No successful NFL coach would go back to college no matter what NFL team they are coaching. You think even Bradley would leave Jacksonville for Texas?

The better move would be to go after some NFL coordinators. That is much more realistic IMO.

FWIW .. Saban left Miami for Alabama. Petrino left the Falcons for Arkansas.. it's not completely far fetched.

I would say Carroll would make more sense if he were in his first year and had a lot of struggles, not when he's 12-2 and a heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Texas is not a top 2-3 school though.

In terms of prestige, I'd put Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame ahead of them.

amill87

Reaction score
pmedic920":1qjti7l9 said:
amill87":1qjti7l9 said:

I'll give you 10,000,000 reasons why a guy might consider a move from the NFL to the NCAA.
$$$$$$ talks.

Eh. Coaches pay is different than players. They typically have longer careers so they don't necessarily need all the money in a short amount of time like players do.

You think there is any amount of money that could pull Pete away from the Seahawks? Or at a certain point the money isn't all the matters to him? I think most coaches have that.

rightbench

Reaction score
I'd like Pete to stay on in the front office here when he gets bored of winning Lombardi's as a coach with RW. He already has the title of vice president or whatever of football operations.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I think a lot of guys would leave average or poor NFL teams for big college ball in a heart beat. I would, I think it's hard to beat a big D1 job given the hours and environment. If I were Gus Bradley, I wouldn't think twice about taking the Texas job.

Now when youre the head coach of a successful NFL program, that's a different story. McCarthy, Pete and Harbaugh are all legitimately looking for Super Bowls in the near future.

amill87

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1l2c08lk said:
amill87":1l2c08lk said:
Sgt. Largent":1l2c08lk said:

FWIW .. Saban left Miami for Alabama. Petrino left the Falcons for Arkansas.. it's not completely far fetched.

I would say Carroll would make more sense if he were in his first year and had a lot of struggles, not when he's 12-2 and a heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl.

I mentioned successful. Saban and Petrino were terrible at the NFL level and both knew it. They had no future in the NFL, it's why they bailed. I mentioned Bradley because he has a lot in front of him and he doesn't appear to be in over his head like this two.