Mort: Texas names Pete Carroll as 'A-list' candidate

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":1vg0e870 said:
Texas football program is so overrated by the media. They have 1 National Title in like 45 years and they talk like they are a football dynasty. UW has accomplished just as much as them these past 4 decades.

That's how bad Mack Brown was. Granted he had their lone title, but he could not recruit in that state.

If Pete Carroll went there, the possibilities are scary in terms of College Football.

That said, there's less than a 0% chance he goes.

pmedic920

Reaction score
pmedic920":3ppd3b6c said:
amill87":3ppd3b6c said:
pmedic920":3ppd3b6c said:
amill87":3ppd3b6c said:
What the hell is all this Texas crap about anyways? Why is this even a story?

I'm not just talking about Carroll. But McCarthy and Harbaugh getting thrown around too? It's just stupid, why would a NFL coach that is successful at the NFL level go down to the college level?

I'll give you 10,000,000 reasons why a guy might consider a move from the NFL to the NCAA.
$$$$$$ talks.

Eh. Coaches pay is different than players. They typically have longer careers so they don't necessarily need all the money in a short amount of time like players do.

You think there is any amount of money that could pull Pete away from the Seahawks? Or at a certain point the money isn't all the matters to him? I think most coaches have that.

I was addressing a coach leaving the NFL for a NCAA job. Not P.C. Leaving the Seahawks.

Tical21

Reaction score
100 million. That is a lot of money to turn down, I don't care who you are. Bill Gates pauses at 100 million.

And Texas isn't a top 2 or 3 job, it is the #1 job, and it isn't close. If their new coach was guy like Pete, they would instantly get the top recruiting class in the country, every year.

And you have your own network. Their own network. A tv network reminding you how good you are all the time.

Did I mention 100 million?

Do I think Pete goes? No. But they're going to get some HUGE fish.

At the very least, Pete uses this as leverage for an extension.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Why is the figure 100mil even being thrown around? 10mil prorated over 10 years? PC is not goona see 100mil from anyone even though he deserves it. Even at 10mil a year, that would be 2mil more than the highest paid NFL coach (Sean Payton) and 3mil more than the top paid NCAAF coach (Nick Saban) which is pretty crazy and would make who ever receives that contract, the highest paid coach in professional sports by 2mil.

Pete doesn't seem like a guy to use this as leverage. I think when his contract is up in 2015, he'll get a raise, and not because of other offers, but because what he's done for our franchise. I would be happy to have him be the highest paid coach in sports if it means he'll stay here.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If you want to coach big time college ball Texas is the number 1 job. The question is does Pete want to coach college ball? I doubt it.