Mort: Texas names Pete Carroll as 'A-list' candidate

pmedic920

Reaction score
amill87":94l55v0c said:
pmedic920":94l55v0c said:
amill87":94l55v0c said:
What the hell is all this Texas crap about anyways? Why is this even a story?

I'm not just talking about Carroll. But McCarthy and Harbaugh getting thrown around too? It's just stupid, why would a NFL coach that is successful at the NFL level go down to the college level?

I'll give you 10,000,000 reasons why a guy might consider a move from the NFL to the NCAA.
$$$$$$ talks.

Eh. Coaches pay is different than players. They typically have longer careers so they don't necessarily need all the money in a short amount of time like players do.

You think there is any amount of money that could pull Pete away from the Seahawks? Or at a certain point the money isn't all the matters to him? I think most coaches have that.

I was addressing a coach leaving the NFL for a NCAA job. Not P.C. Leaving the Seahawks.

BamKam

Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin have also been linked to this job. You are going to hear the media throw out almost every elite name out there.

drdiags

Reaction score
$10 Mil vs $7 Mil could be a start. His contract does expire after next season and maybe he has proven to himself that this time around, he proved he can hang with the big boys? Though I am not sure why Texas would go for an older coach vs one of the younger successful NFL coaches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
amill87":mql66j0q said:
Sgt. Largent":mql66j0q said:
When college's do this, it's not because they realistically think they have a chance to sign those A-List coaches, it's a PR stunt to show their boosters and fans how lofty their coach expectations are. "Hey look fans, Texas is so awesome that we only go after the best coaches on the planet!"

Texas is still one of the top 2-3 college coaching jobs in the country, key word "college." But IMO ever since most of the Big 10 jumped ship to the SEC it's lost some of it's luster.

But it's just stupid. No successful NFL coach would go back to college no matter what NFL team they are coaching. You think even Bradley would leave Jacksonville for Texas?.

That's my point though. Their AD isn't ACTUALLY going after Harbaugh or Carroll (other than getting hung up on after a two minute phone call). It's purely for the benefit of the PR.

amill87

Reaction score
pmedic920":3f1tgred said:
I was addressing a coach leaving the NFL for a NCAA job. Not P.C. Leaving the Seahawks.

I know. I guess I'm trying to say that if any coach feels they have a shot at being successful in the NFL, they would not go down to college. The only coaches that make that move are the ones that know/think they can't make it in the NFL and go for the next best thing.

I don't think Bradley would go to Texas. A guy like Garrett who appears to be over his head and his future in the league does not look good, I could see him going.

BamKam

Reaction score
drdiags":1lhdgw96 said:
$10 Mil vs $7 Mil could be a start. His contract does expire after next season and maybe he has proven to himself that this time around, he proved he can hang with the big boys? Though I am not sure why Texas would go for an older coach vs one of the younger successful NFL coaches.

Like Saban, Pete has made more than enough money he will ever need, he is playing for his legacy as a coach. He already proved it at the college level, no need to go back and visit that.

It is his time to win a couple Super Bowls and go out as one of the greatest coaches of all time for any sport.

Besides like the Seahawks couldn't pony up a few extra million a year....

amill87

Reaction score
BamKam":2cupxa5s said:
drdiags":2cupxa5s said:

Like Saban, Pete has made more than enough money he will ever need, he is playing for his legacy as a coach. He already proved it at the college level, no need to go back and visit that.

It is his time to win a couple Super Bowls and go out as one of the greatest coaches of all time for any sport.

Besides like the Seahawks couldn't pony up a few extra million a year....

To further add on that, coaches are much older than most players. They aren't 25 year olds who will blow through all their money in a matter of years. I think for most coaches, 3 mill more a year is not enough to walk away from the highest level of the sport. In the end, no matter what, even if you are the best college coach of all time, you are still only a college coach who wasn't good enough to do the same thing in the NFL. I know for me personally, that would drive me nuts.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Do they wear khakis in Texas? Chances are better that Wade Phillips will end up coaching Finland's hockey team.

cesame

Reaction score
Steve Patterson, the AD for Texas, was also the old president for the Portland Trail Blazers at one point.

His time with the Blazers did not go well and ultimately he was fired by Paul Allen.

This could be some kind of distraction move by Steve Patterson just to be the joke of a guy he's always been. His time with the Blazers was a joke and I'm sure there's hard feelings there.

Steve2222

Reaction score
cesame":lll325jr said:
Steve Patterson, the AD for Texas, was also the old president for the Portland Trail Blazers at one point.

His time with the Blazers did not go well and ultimately he was fired by Paul Allen.

This could be some kind of distraction move by Steve Patterson just to be the joke of a guy he's always been. His time with the Blazers was a joke and I'm sure there's hard feelings there.

I doubt that's anything to do with it.

I think Carroll's resume at USC is whats getting the attention. Nick Saban is the current Pete Carroll of college football.

CANHawk

Reaction score
He's on their A-List huh? lol. This sounds like the A-list I made for girlfriends in the 7th grade; started out with like Alyssa Milano and Kelly Kapowski, but I eventually whittled it down to like my E-list and went out with somebody a little more... attainable. No different than Texas and their little list. We're going to hear all this ish about their A-List and all their big names, but they're going to wind up hiring some "guy" nobody's ever even heard of from the University of Palookaville.

It's just some lame ass grand standing.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3vdjzep5 said:
I think a lot of guys would leave average or poor NFL teams for big college ball in a heart beat. I would, I think it's hard to beat a big D1 job given the hours and environment. If I were Gus Bradley, I wouldn't think twice about taking the Texas job.

Now when youre the head coach of a successful NFL program, that's a different story. McCarthy, Pete and Harbaugh are all legitimately looking for Super Bowls in the near future.

No way you'd leave an NFL job for a major college program. You don't leave an NFL coaching job, you get fired.

I can only think of 1 coach who quit to take a D1 job and that was Petrino.

Steve2222

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1rwcq9th said:
AbsolutNET":1rwcq9th said:
I think a lot of guys would leave average or poor NFL teams for big college ball in a heart beat. I would, I think it's hard to beat a big D1 job given the hours and environment. If I were Gus Bradley, I wouldn't think twice about taking the Texas job.

Now when youre the head coach of a successful NFL program, that's a different story. McCarthy, Pete and Harbaugh are all legitimately looking for Super Bowls in the near future.

No way you'd leave an NFL job for a major college program. You don't leave an NFL coaching job, you get fired.

You're underestimating the royalty that is college football, especially in the south. States like Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana care more about their college teams than their pro teams.

However, Pete going from USC to Texas would be a downgrade.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":39nwm2y4 said:
SonicHawk":39nwm2y4 said:
AbsolutNET":39nwm2y4 said:

You're underestimating the royalty that is college football, especially in the south. States like Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana care more about their college teams than their pro teams.

Then why can I only think of one example of this happening? And Petrino was garbage as a coach in the NFL anyways?

How many coaches have turned down NFL HC jobs for college jobs? I'm sure guys like Saban get NFL job talk all day, but he's finally in a place where he's comfortable. Chip Kelly certainly didn't think Oregon, a recent perennial contender was a better job than the eggles.

Throwdown

Reaction score
So what exactly are you guys arguing about? Its pretty obvious that Pete is not leaving the team he could very well win a SB with.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think anyone think it's any kind of possibility that Pete leaves.

Steve2222

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ebm7ipt said:
Steve2222":1ebm7ipt said:
SonicHawk":1ebm7ipt said:
AbsolutNET":1ebm7ipt said:

Then why can I only think of one example of this happening? And Petrino was garbage as a coach in the NFL anyways?

How many coaches have turned down NFL HC jobs for college jobs? I'm sure guys like Saban get NFL job talk all day, but he's finally in a place where he's comfortable. Chip Kelly certainly didn't think Oregon, a recent perennial contender was a better job than the eggles.

Saban didn't get fired. He left Miami to take the Alabama job opening. And there is some grumbling in Philly that Chip misses many aspects of collegeball. I wouldn't be surprised if you see him take that Texas job. He loved to recruit out of TX when he was with the Ducks and Texas >>> Oregon in terms of prestige.