Mort: Texas names Pete Carroll as 'A-list' candidate

gulliver

Reaction score
Not that it even needs saying, but... really? You think Pete would go from the highest level imaginable in his sport (probable SB berth) to a rebuild job in the 3rd or 4th best conference in the amateur leagues?

Check in about 10 years from now and you might get him.

Steve2222

Reaction score
gulliver":2mjnb45y said:
Not that it even needs saying, but... really? You think Pete would go from the highest level imaginable in his sport (probable SB berth) to a rebuild job in the 3rd or 4th best conference in the amateur leagues?

Check in about 10 years from now and you might get him.

College football has many advantages over the NFL. The biggest not having to deal with diva pro athletes who make more money than you.

Having said that, no way Pete leaves for Texas.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Pete built the team up and there's no way he's going to leave just now as he is reaping the benefits of his work.

Still, what an honor to be mentioned as a top coach on a wish list of other teams.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Steve2222":b6qozki3 said:
Texas is not a top 2-3 school though.

In terms of prestige, I'd put Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and Notre Dame ahead of them.

I agree with the schools you've listed, yet Texas Longhorns are big time and their athletic dept could pay a coach millions and millions.They even have their own television network IIRC.

Texas sucks though.

getnasty

Reaction score
Some guys would prefer to coach in college(Saben, Petrino), hopefully Pete doesn't into this rare category. I wonder if he would have left USC for Seattle had there been no penalties coming. I highly doubt he leaves but for some reason it wouldn't shock me. By the way i think if you polled the coaches across the country Texas would be the best college job out there.

Steve2222

Reaction score
getnasty":149ors2g said:
Some guys would prefer to coach in college(Saben, Petrino), hopefully Pete doesn't into this rare category. I wonder if he would have left USC for Seattle had there been no penalties coming. I highly doubt he leaves but for some reason it wouldn't shock me. By the way i think if you polled the coaches across the country Texas would be the best college job out there.

I think Pete's always wanted to coach in the NFL. And I do believe he has a huge chip on his shoulders. He discovered himself in collegeball, built a dynasty, and he's using that same philosophy to dominate in the pros.

He's already conquered the college level, now he needs to conquer pro ball to cement his legacy as one of the greatest coaches ever.

sc85sis

Reaction score
getnasty":30voi0t3 said:
He wouldn't have left even with penalties coming had he not gotten exactly what he wanted in Seattle. He was originally planning on staying at USC.

Make no mistake, Pete truly loved it at USC.

sumos2005

Reaction score
Pete leaving Russell =Chevy Chase leaving the pool when Christy Brinkley was in it.
it ain't happening.

Steve2222

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I think Chip Kelly's going to be the next coach for Texas.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it could be a subject worthy of revisiting, but not until after Pete wins a couple SBs, ala Bill Whiner Walsh. If I had 20 mil in the bank and a couple NFL titles, I would jump on a top level college gig in a flash. Coaches are teachers and it's hard to teach guys that already know everything there is to know (in their minds). When you have guys that flat out say..."I don't practice, if you have a problem with that...talk to my agent". Or "I'm feeling a little tingle in my hip, think I better sit this one out". In college, you sit his ass with the promise you will see that he never gets a look from the NFL. Hard for a player to argue with such language.

Pete has been incredibly fortunate to have so many sponge-like young players on this team. They are students, and buy in to what Pete's selling, but it may not always be that way.

Zorn76

Reaction score
pmedic920":2p17c1wy said:
amill87":2p17c1wy said:
What the hell is all this Texas crap about anyways? Why is this even a story?

I'm not just talking about Carroll. But McCarthy and Harbaugh getting thrown around too? It's just stupid, why would a NFL coach that is successful at the NFL level go down to the college level?

I'll give you 10,000,000 reasons why a guy might consider a move from the NFL to the NCAA.
$$$$$$ talks.

If he were coaching the Raiders, I'd agree.

rjdriver

Reaction score
You do have to admit, if Pete left ( He won't), the Seattle Seahawks head coaching gig would be one of the most desirable in the league. People would be clamoring to have an opportunity to coach this team. We could draw some big names with the core, young ingredients we have on this team. Kind of fun to speculate, but glad we don't have to.

BreesIsOverrated

Reaction score
Texas football program is so overrated by the media. They have 1 National Title in like 45 years and they talk like they are a football dynasty. UW has accomplished just as much as them these past 4 decades.

rjdriver

Reaction score
BreesIsOverrated":27c2rmev said:
Texas football program is so overrated by the media. They have 1 National Title in like 45 years and they talk like they are a football dynasty. UW has accomplished just as much as them these past 4 decades.

Plus consider the fact that they are THE school in the state with by far has the most blue chippers in the nation. HS football is religion in Texas. They have drastically under achieved considering they have home court advantage with regards to recruiting.

Basis4day

Reaction score
With the exception of USC, Pete has been primarily a Pro-Guy.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Haha. I suspect this is PC's last rodeo, maybe as an advisor like bill Walsh did at best. He and John built this team and IMO will run with it until it's time to retool. Then he will retire. Allen could pay him whatever he wishes.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Yeah, Paul Allen would definitely open up the check book to keep him here. And when Pete does retire I hope he gets an advising job or a front office job with us along with keeping JS. I know it's crazy, but I would love/wouldn't mind if Paul Allen gave a tiny percentage of the team to PC&JS to keep them around forever. It's what the Lakers should've done with Phil Jackson and it's what Phil Jackson wanted, now Phil Jackson is gone from the Lakers and the Lakers can't even make a playoff spot.