NFL Scheduling Idiots Week 18

kidhawk

Reaction score
Schedule was announced and has some predicted we are playing in the afternoon slot while Detroit and the Packers are playing SNF. That means assuming we win Detroit will be eliminated before they start.

That’s just Dumb. Only way the game is even watchable is if we lose. SNF will be a joke game if we win.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like they're hoping Lions don't play with heart so that Packers can get into the playoffs.

If I were NBC, I'd be looking for a different matchup. Tennessee / Jacksonville would have been guaranteed to be more interesting. If Buffalo beats Cincinnati tonight, it would have made the Ravens / Bengals game a better matchup as well.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This is indeed questionable but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

The Lions and the Packers are pretty bitter divisional rivals. Even if the Lions know they have no post season, the opportunity to personally kick the Packers out of the playoffs is going to be strong motivation for them. Losing to the Packers, falling below .500, and letting the Packers into the playoffs would be a bad outcome for Detroit. Kicking the Packers out of the playoffs and finishing with a winning record is a lot better.

What I'm more concerned about is that SNF game becomes a great game for the NFL if the Seahawks lose earlier in the day. I don't think the NFL deliberately steers games from the top, but the officials in our game will definitely be aware of the implications. People tend to see what they want to see, and that includes officiating.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is indeed questionable... but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

The Lions and the Packers are pretty bitter divisional rivals. Even if the Lions know they have no post season, the opportunity to personally kick the Packers out of the playoffs is going to be strong motivation for them. Losing to the Packers, falling below .500, and letting the Packers into the playoffs would be a bad outcome for Detroit. Kicking the Packers out of the playoffs and finishing with a winning record is a lot better.

What I'm more concerned about is that SNF game becomes *much* better for the NFL if the Seahawks lose earlier in the day. The NFL doesn't deliberately steer games from the top, but the officials in our game will definitely be aware of the implications. I do think that people tend to see what they want to see, and that can carry over to officiating.

I don't believe that Detroit will just hang their heads and let themselves get kicked by the Packers, but it's human nature for that kind of news to bring them down a bit, and that will be nearly impossible to overcome, especially since the knowledge won't come until almost game time. it's just too much for anyone to expect everyone on the field to put their complete best foot forward for an entire game knowing the outcome is meaningless to their playing future this season. There will be at least a few business decisions made on the field that day. Assuming of course we win our game.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

What I'm more concerned about is that SNF game becomes a great game for the NFL if the Seahawks lose earlier in the day. I don't think the NFL deliberately steers games from the top, but the officials in our game will definitely be aware of the implications. People tend to see what they want to see, and that includes officiating.

This. I hope you're right about the Lions. It is divisional - and from what I've seen the Lions are a very 'prideful' group - no pun intended.

Let's recharge all our tinfoil hats - omfg - and hope for the best.

pmedic920

Reaction score

Your points are valid but you have to admit that playing for a playoff spot doesn’t equal playing for “pride”.

I’m very disappointed that the two games won’t be played simultaneously.

James in PA

Reaction score
Another crank of the steering wheel.

I’d guess the destination is Rogers vs Brady

Yea I got my tinfoil hat on.
Speaking of steering: just watch and see how the officiating is for the Hawks Rams game. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Rams get a lot of beneficial calls and therefore the W. Then the league can say, "See Seattle, it didn't matter anyway!" It would also add a lot more drama and interest to the SNF game. Gotta get those ratings.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer, steer. Nothing to see here, move along now!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Speaking of steering: just watch and see how the officiating is for the Hawks Rams game. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Rams get a lot of beneficial calls and therefore the W. Then the league can say, "See Seattle, it didn't matter anyway!" It would also add a lot more drama and interest to the SNF game. Gotta get those ratings.
Yea.... exactly what we're all afraid of unfortunately.

AND - they're gonna bring back Buck and Aikman to call our game!!!!! ;) Kidding.

This could get ugly.

renofox

Reaction score
Let's analyze the three scenarios and see what is in the best interest of the NFL if they want to show meaningful games.

Option 1) Simultaneous: Both games meaningful for possible wildcard teams unless;
If SEA is winning in a blowout (unlikely), DET may give up with the wildcard still in play between SEA and GB.
If GB is winning in a blowout (unlikely), SEA may give up because the wildcard has already been determined.
THIS IS THE BEST OPTION - odds are likely both games will be meaningful to the end, and the teams will play hard.

Option 2) DET/GB before LAR/SEA:
Early game; Both teams are battling for the playoffs. GB in with a win, DET in with win and later SEA loss.
Late game; If DET wins early game, SEA in with win. If GB wins early game, meaningless game.
THIS IS THE NEXT BEST OPTION - The first game is guaranteed meaningful from start to finish. If GB wins, the late game does become meaningless, but only AFTER the wildcard is already determined.

Option 3) LAR/SEA before DET/GB:
Early game; Will be a meaningful game for SEA.
Late game; If LAR wins early game, winner gets the wildcard. IF SEA wins early game, GB in with win but MEANINGLESS GAME FOR DET.
THIS IS, BY FAR, THE WORST OPTION - It is the only option where a team may be playing a game in which they have no incentive to win (DET) while the result of the game determines the wildcard winner.

So why would the NFL not only choose the worst option from a competitive standpoint, but also arrange it so that the premiere Sunday game has a good chance of pitting a team with nothing to play for against a team with everything to play for?

I'll leave it to those with wisdom far greater than mine to put forth theories on this "inexplicably" stupid decision by the NFL.

Joey13091

Reaction score
I'm upset with this schedule. Why not put jags/titans in the Sunday night slot and DET/GB in the Saturday night slot?