NFL Scheduling Idiots Week 18

NJlargent

Reaction score
I wonder if we get the calls Sunday to help us win and thereby help Green Bay. But regardless, moving Detroit to after our game is a royal screw job.

Jville

Reaction score
"“Either we’re playing to get in or we’re playing to be spoiler, and that’s it,” Campbell said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “So either way, we win.”

Campbell added he felt like the Lions have earned the right to play in primetime.

“I know we’ll put up a hell of a fight, one way or another,” Campbell said.

But there is a silver lining for Detroit if Seattle defeats Los Angeles. The Lions have the Rams’ first-round pick in 2023 from the Matthew Stafford trade. So that selection would be higher with another Rams loss." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ying-to-get-in-or-were-playing-to-be-spoiler/

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Seth Walder of ESPN summed it up perfectly: "The entire reason the NFL doesn't schedule the times of the Week 18 games is to avoid the situation it just created by putting Lions/Packers on SNF."
This. Exactly this. They PURPOSEFULLY created this Week 18 scheduling situation precisely to avoid giving a team an advantage that they just gave Green Bay.

Only A-a-ron and the Pack get this kind of treatment.

Mizak

Reaction score
"“Either we’re playing to get in or we’re playing to be spoiler, and that’s it,” Campbell said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “So either way, we win.”

Campbell added he felt like the Lions have earned the right to play in primetime.

“I know we’ll put up a hell of a fight, one way or another,” Campbell said.

But there is a silver lining for Detroit if Seattle defeats Los Angeles. The Lions have the Rams’ first-round pick in 2023 from the Matthew Stafford trade. So that selection would be higher with another Rams loss." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ying-to-get-in-or-were-playing-to-be-spoiler/
So basically it’s a win/win for Lions from this scenario? And it looks like the only fans complaining about this are Seahawk fans.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
So basically it’s a win/win for Lions from this scenario? And it looks like the only fans complaining about this are Seahawk fans.
Huh? It screws us. Why wouldn't we be the ones upset? I'm trying to figure out what in the world point you think you are making.

The NFL literally scheduled three different games with implications for the #1 seed at the same time specifically to avoid giving them the advantage they just gave Green Bay. This isn't some esoteric, hard-to-understand conspiracy theory.

Mizak

Reaction score
Huh? It screws us. Why wouldn't we be the ones upset? I'm trying to figure out what in the world point you think you are making.

The NFL literally scheduled three different games with implications for the #1 seed at the same time specifically to avoid giving them the advantage they just gave Green Bay. This isn't some esoteric, hard-to-understand conspiracy theory.
Pretty sure the Lions or Lions fans themselves don’t care what we Seahawks fans are going through from this flex schedule. Seahawks beat Rams, they get a 1st round pick. Seahawks lose and they have a chance to get in the playoffs by beating the Packers. A potential win/win scenario.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
This is absolutely crazy and I don’t really mean it but….

I’d almost like to see us lose so that the lions could stomp the packers to eliminate them.

That would eff the NFL wouldn’t it.

:{)
We may do so anyway… but that would not be glorious other than watching Erin lose. I’ma big hockey fan… might be time to cut the nfl off. This is so intentional.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Lions or Lions fans themselves don’t care what we Seahawks fans are going through from this flex schedule. Seahawks beat Rams, they get a 1st round pick. Seahawks lose and they have a chance to get in the playoffs by beating the Packers. A potential win/win scenario.
Ok... and? Though I do think there ARE Lions fans who will be pissed to see the NFL tilt the playing field in support of A-a-ron and his Supporting Cast, but why in the world would any of us HERE be talking about this from the perspective of Lions fans?

The NFL screwed the Seahawks and benefited the Packers. Seahawks fans are the ones that SHOULD be upset.

Mizak

Reaction score
Ok... and? Though I do think there ARE Lions fans who will be pissed to see the NFL tilt the playing field in support of A-a-ron and his Supporting Cast, but why in the world would any of us HERE be talking about this from the perspective of Lions fans?

The NFL screwed the Seahawks and benefited the Packers. Seahawks fans are the ones that SHOULD be upset.
Go write a petition online and demand the NFL change its schedule then if you’re this upset about a freaking schedule.

Mizak

Reaction score
Good one, you sure got me. Where do you want me to send your internet tough guy points?
“This sucks. I don’t get to schedule my fav team for favorable schedules. Why does the NFL get to schedule my teams road and home games while I can’t? Screw job!”

chrispy

Reaction score
Rams and Lions will approach next weekend the same. If you believe the Packers will get an easier game, then the Seahawks will get just as much benefit from the Rams. I tend to think both teams will look at the game as their season's SuperBowl and do everything possible to knockout a Division rival.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
“This sucks. I don’t get to schedule my fav team for favorable schedules. Why does the NFL get to schedule my teams road and home games while I can’t? Screw job!”

Why did the NFL make special week 18 scheduling rules?

We will all look forward to your response

Wheetie

Reaction score
On the bright side, I'll now have 6 hours of intense cheering Sunday instead of only 3 if both games were at the same time, and it also saves the great disdain from my wife due to constantly changing the channel between games. If the Seahawks and Detroit win, awesome, and another week of anticipation for playoff football. If only the Seahawks win, then the 3 hours glued to the TV watching the Lions Sunday night will almost make up for missing the 3 hours the Seahawks would've played the following week.....I think...it made sense in in my head until I typed it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Rams and Lions will approach next weekend the same. If you believe the Packers will get an easier game, then the Seahawks will get just as much benefit from the Rams. I tend to think both teams will look at the game as their season's SuperBowl and do everything possible to knockout a Division rival.

Yes but the Lions motivation would be MUCH HIGHER if they were playing for a playoff spot, correct?

Thats the exact reason the NFL put in special week 18 scheduling rules, to avoid this.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
This is indeed questionable but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

The Lions and the Packers are pretty bitter divisional rivals. Even if the Lions know they have no post season, the opportunity to personally kick the Packers out of the playoffs is going to be strong motivation for them. Losing to the Packers, falling below .500, and letting the Packers into the playoffs would be a bad outcome for Detroit. Kicking the Packers out of the playoffs and finishing with a winning record is a lot better.

What I'm more concerned about is that SNF game becomes a great game for the NFL if the Seahawks lose earlier in the day. I don't think the NFL deliberately steers games from the top, but the officials in our game will definitely be aware of the implications. People tend to see what they want to see, and that includes officiating.
Totally agree with it every comment here. Head coach Dan Campbell has this team playing hard every week, and this week should be no exception.