NFL Scheduling Idiots Week 18

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm not taking it out of context at all. You don't think players playing a game that is essentially meaningless to them are going out full blast after just watching a dude nearly die making a routine tackle? I sure don't.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I understand the viewpoint of fans who would rather lose the last game in exchange for hopeful future improvement. It is a valid argument.

I also understand (and agree with) the valid argument of hoping to win every game possible to instill winning culture and experience.

Neither argument is right or wrong, they just reflect the different values held by different people.

I totally disagree. The whole point for Me as a fan is the hope of seeing how far we can make it and stay competitive. or if we can’t to be respectable.

Cmon man, if GB can destroy the Rams I can’t see why we can’t.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not taking it out of context at all. You don't think players playing a game that is essentially meaningless to them are going out full blast after just watching a dude nearly die making a routine tackle? I sure don't.
Don't lecture me about the motivations of players after witnessing a traumatic event such as Hamlin's. You're talking to a guy that as a junior in high school, substituted for a teammate that was injured during a game and died two days later.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The way I see it:
Fringe players will be pulling out the stops to prove themselves wanting to avoid getting cut next season or enhance their chances of a starter role. They will try to not think about Hamlin during the game and may succeed.
Coaches will want to protect their star players, and see what the back-up can do treating it like a pre-season game. If we beat the Rams the Lions would be quite like ot start Sudfield or at least bring him on very early.
Star players can go either way, some might have an ego that they always want to show they are the best, others might do down early to avoid a hit. Some will do down early because they were told to by the coach (if they are allowed on the field at all).

Followthelegion

Reaction score
It’s clear to me both opinions are true:
- when you don’t have destiny in your hands, you are to blame. Losing all 4 to NFC South is the root cause.
- the NFL has pulled a horrifically biased move with this scheduling that is not fair in the slightest. They should be called out by the media for this favourable treatment of AR and the Pack, and be forced to admit their rationale for week 18 scheduling is not driven by equity for teams, but rather revenues and ratings.

RiverDog

Reaction score
- when you don’t have destiny in your hands, you are to blame. Losing all 4 to NFC South is the root cause.
- the NFL has pulled a horrifically biased move with this scheduling that is not fair in the slightest. They should be called out by the media for this favourable treatment of AR and the Pack, and be forced to admit their rationale for week 18 scheduling is not driven by equity for teams, but rather revenues and ratings.
I agree.

There's an easy solution. If they are going to determine the entire last week's schedule on 6 days' notice, they need to come up with some type of objective, defined procedure for them to use as a template. Otherwise, just schedule the start times at least several weeks in advance, making any advantage occur at random.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it CAN be both at the same time. And is.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score

This just in,

Quandre Diggs of the Seattle Seahawks has been suspended 1 game for his blatant attempt to bribe 3 players of the Detroit Lions.

The Seattle Seahawks have also been assessed 3 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, 1 for each attempted bribe, to be given at the discretion of the referee or Roger Godell whenever he feels the Seahawks might be winning Sunday against the Rams.

The 3 Detroit player have also been suspended for the game this Sunday for not immediately reporting this flagrant attempted bribery to the league office. 3 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties have also been assessed against the Lions for this breach of rules & will be called at the discretion of the aggrieved party, the Green Bay Packers.

A league spokesman has said these "drastic measures are being implemented to insure the integrity of the steering & assure there is no outside influence to cause a team to try too hard against the Packers & derail our best laid plans".