NFL Scheduling Idiots Week 18

renofox

Reaction score
The Seahawks screwed the Seahawks by going 0-4 against the NFC South, the worst division in the NFL this year.

The NFL screwed the Seahawks by going against the spirit of their own philosophy (for the first time since the change was made) of scheduling final week games to provide for maximum competitiveness and fairness.

BOTH OF THESE ARGUMENTS CAN BE, AND ARE, SIMULTANEOUSLY TRUE.

Why are people arguing that the truth of one negates the truth of the other?

Are we really this stupid?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The Seahawks screwed the Seahawks by going 0-4 against the NFC South, the worst division in the NFL this year.

The NFL screwed the Seahawks by going against the spirit of their own philosophy (for the first time since the change was made) of scheduling final week games to provide for maximum competitiveness and fairness.

BOTH OF THESE ARGUMENTS CAN BE, AND ARE, SIMULTANEOUSLY TRUE.

Why are people arguing that the truth of one negates the truth of the other?

Are we really this stupid?

You can say "X team should have done Y" about a lot of scenarios, and that's fine. But the NFL is the only entity with the power to flex the schedule, and they did - to a scenario that puts Seattle at a disadvantage which wasn't the case before they meddled with it. They didn't have to do that, and they are smart enough to know it puts one team at a disadvantage - but they went ahead and did it anyways, throwing the competition and fairness aspects out the window.

Honestly I don't really care, its probably better if we lose to to the Rams and get a better draft position and the Packers game is a non-factor.
But it is what it is - a screw job intentional or not.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Better to lose? Not this again.........

draft position is more valuable than being bounced in the playoffs, but if you're into putting another L on Pete's playoff resume that's cool too. Couple of those and he'll be a .500 playoff coach. A playoff "run" gets you zilch unless you go 4-0, and that aint happening with this team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You don't need to say anything. You lost credibility when you said "it's probably better if we lose"

Nothing else needs to be said.

renofox

Reaction score
I understand the viewpoint of fans who would rather lose the last game in exchange for hopeful future improvement. It is a valid argument.

I also understand (and agree with) the valid argument of hoping to win every game possible to instill winning culture and experience.

Neither argument is right or wrong, they just reflect the different values held by different people.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I will root for us to win. I don't like to see my team lose.

A "winning culture" is important to me as well, which is why I'm not sure making it to the playoffs just to get bounced by a more complete (at the moment) team does anything for that winning culture, especially if it takes you one game closer to your coach being the Jeff Fisher of the playoffs.

However if you remove emotion, "its probably better if they lose" is a simple matter of draft capital. Not sure why this has to be explained to you. We are not covering new ground here.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I don't feel the Hawks are going to do anything special in the Playoffs if they make it. BUT, they definitely can't do anything special if they aren't in it. Besides, the draft position won't be that far between making it and not making it. Plus if they're in, we get to watch them one more time.

After all, you don't really expect Pete to draft someone predictable with that pick do you?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't feel the Hawks are going to do anything special in the Playoffs if they make it. BUT, they definitely can't do anything special if they aren't in it. Besides, the draft position won't be that far between making it and not making it. Plus if they're in, we get to watch them one more time.

After all, you don't really expect Pete to draft someone predictable with that pick do you?

you're right that they will prob do something unorthodox, and that the draft pick wont be that different, but a few spots in the middle of round one is worth a 3rd round pick. More valuable than a wild card round exit.

Of course I want them to go to the playoffs and shock the world but that's even less likely to happen now than it was before when a defense that has had trouble tackling has lost the #2 tackler in the league to an ACL. I'm sure the niners would love to make Cody Barton look clueless for the third time this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok
Good luck on your "team" losing so you can get a "better draft pick"

Adults wouldn't hope their team loses, ever.

Last edited:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Adults also don't make sh*t up that was never said to cover up for their inability to participate in a conversation without having a few tantrums per thread.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You literally said it's probably BETTER if they lose for better draft picks. I didn't make anything up.

but...............ok
Just go back to Conspiracy theories and blasting DK for everything he does.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
"I hope the seahawks lose to the rams!"

"Its probably better if the seahawks lose to the rams so we can scoop up a more valuable draft position"

two entirely different statements but I can understand how a simple-brained organism might not be able to tell the difference.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agree to disagree.
Go Hawks!
Screw better draft picks, WIN on Sunday. It's never "probably better" to lose. What the hell kind of mentality is that?
You whine about this team 24/7