Nr 1 deep passer in the league..well well...

RiverDog

Reaction score
As is the case with most metrics of this nature, it's always better to be ranked first in the category than it is last. But I have to ask, how relevant is this when it comes to winning football games? We were 9-8 and one and done in the playoffs with the best deep ball thrower in the league. Not acceptable in my book.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
As is the case with most metrics of this nature, it's always better to be ranked first in the category than it is last. But I have to ask, how relevant is this when it comes to winning football games? We were 9-8 and one and done in the playoffs with the best deep ball thrower in the league. Not acceptable in my book.
There are two sides to the ball. Defense was the issue not the offense.

Mick063

Reaction score
Two reasons why Seattle invests heavily in running backs and the running game.

1) Play action pass purchases another second of pocket time for the DEEP BALL.
2) Running the ball in the "four-minute offense" allows him to close out games with a fourth quarter lead.

Pete doesn't "dink and dunk". He isn't Bill Walsh. Doesn't want to be. He wants to throw deep. He loves "chunk plays" in the passing game. Always has. Always will. It is why one of his very first transactions as a head coach was to bring in Sydney Rice.

I'm just going to keep saying it over and over and over. Thread after thread. Until some folks finally start to get it. Pete runs the ball to enable the deep pass. The stats are backing me up on this.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Two reasons why Seattle invests heavily in running backs and the running game.

1) Play action pass purchases another second of pocket time for the DEEP BALL.
2) Running the ball in the "four-minute offense" allows him to close out games with a fourth quarter lead.

Pete doesn't "dink and dunk". He isn't Bill Walsh. Doesn't want to be. He wants to throw deep. He loves "chunk plays" in the passing game. Always has. Always will. It is why one of his very first transactions as a head coach was to bring in Sydney Rice.

I'm just going to keep saying it over and over and over. Thread after thread. Until some folks finally start to get it. Pete runs the ball to enable the deep pass. The stats are backing me up on this.
Pete Ball = Al Davis Ball?

keasley45

Reaction score
The throws to Tyler vs the Saints, the td to Goodwin in Munich, the in stride shot to DK vs the 9ers in the playoffs and the GW toss to him vs the Rams were some of the best throws I've seen by a Hawks QB.

Geno's accuracy is wildly underrated. At least it was until last year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno's accuracy is wildly underrated. At least it was until last year.
The reason why Geno's accuracy was "wildly underrated" was because until last season, his career TD:INT ratio sucked and his completion percentage was below 60%. His accuracy wasn't underrated, to the contrary, his reputation for inaccuracy was well deserved.

His last two seasons represented a dramatic turnaround from his career averages, one of the biggest career turnarounds in recent memory.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The reason why Geno's accuracy was "wildly underrated" was because until last season, his career TD:INT ratio sucked and his completion percentage was below 60%. His accuracy wasn't underrated, to the contrary, his reputation for inaccuracy was well deserved.

His last two seasons represented a dramatic turnaround from his career averages, one of the biggest career turnarounds in recent memory.

No, it was underrated. He's always been a talented passer. He slang the rock all around the yard at WVU and it showed up on tape in the NFL despite overall poor outcomes. Box score scouts will often be wrong like that.

Those who had watched closely tried to tell everyone prior to him leaving no doubt last season.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
So the defense failed to score with the game on the line? Interesting take.
The offense was ranked 9th in points scored last season. The defense was ranked 25th. It is unbelievable to me that anyone thinks the offense was the issue last season. I am not saying they were perfect and don’t have room for improvement but any blame for losses last year should largely be put on the defense. Some people I guess have an axe to grind against Geno for whatever reason but he was not the issue last year. Defense was. I am not a stat guy generally but how many games were lost at tend because of defense??? How many games would not been on the line if the defense did not let other teams run through them? The right take.

BASF

Reaction score

The "talent" he was throwing to was severely lacking. His rookie year the best receiver was Jeremy Kerley who would have never cracked our starting three in any season this century. In 2014 they brought in a very good Eric Decker who was very solid as a number one receiver, but not as effective without Demaryius Thomas making sure that he was facing the opponent's second best corner. They also brought in colossal failure Percy Harvin who did very little for them. He was also saddled with Marty Mornhinweg as his offensive coordinator, whose record I have gone into before, he was not good.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
The "talent" he was throwing to was severely lacking. His rookie year the best receiver was Jeremy Kerley who would have never cracked our starting three in any season this century. In 2014 they brought in a very good Eric Decker who was very solid as a number one receiver, but not as effective with Demaryius Thomas making sure that he was facing the opponent's second best corner. They also brought in colossal failure Percy Harvin who did very little for them. He was also saddled with Marty Mornhinweg as his offensive coordinator, whose record I have gone into before, he was not good.
I don't buy that excuse, at least not entirely. Sure, receivers and OC's have an effect on a quarterback's statistical performance just as an offensive line does. But Geno's numbers were horrible, too bad to be attributed simply to his receivers and OC. In his rookie season, Geno threw 12 TD's, 21 INT's, and completed just 55.8% of his passes. His second season was better, but not by a lot: 13:13, 59.7%. He has to own those numbers. He's the one that pulls the trigger, not the receiver or the OC.

What's more likely is that his time on the sidelines helped him watch and learn, improve his game without actively playing. His learning curve was much flatter than other QB's, or at least that's how I see his progression.

We'll see how he performs this season. After a phenomenal first half of the season last year, he tailed off significantly in the 2nd half.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I don't buy that excuse, at least not entirely. Sure, receivers and OC's have an effect on a quarterback's statistical performance just as an offensive line does. But Geno's numbers were horrible, too bad to be attributed simply to his receivers and OC. In his rookie season, Geno threw 12 TD's, 21 INT's, and completed just 55.8% of his passes. His second season was better, but not by a lot: 13:13, 59.7%. He has to own those numbers. He's the one that pulls the trigger, not the receiver or the OC.

What's more likely is that his time on the sidelines helped him watch and learn, improve his game without actively playing. His learning curve was much flatter than other QB's, or at least that's how I see his progression.

We'll see how he performs this season. After a phenomenal first half of the season last year, he tailed off significantly in the 2nd half.
Does this apply to RW in SB49?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Disagree. Pretty much every single season at 2012 this team has had huge expectations, leading to high anticipation for fans. The problem was they just didn't live up to them outside of one or two seasons.
Hmm 2012, back when we had a Pound-yer-ass Marshawn Lynch and Wilson still had some get-after-it + the Seahawks had one of the best Defenses in the NFL that kept getting the ball back into the hands of Lynch & Wilson? and then for a few years with Doug Baldwin helped pull Wilson's butt out of the fire (until he retired, went into mediocrity for several years, Lockett comes along and again, Wilson had someone to bail him out but then, Wilson started slowing down even more & getting SACKED on every other play.
Expectations for Old Man Geno was, "Oh Well, we're gonna suck this year", and then SURPRISE!! he PROVED all his doubters WRONG.
Doubters going to be doubters, that's just how they roll.
I'm going to stay on the Geno 'Band wagon' until the wheels come off...Hell, maybe he goes on a tear for another 3 or 4 years.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So hmm, you don't think the Defense maybe had something to do with last seasons failures?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Of course, it does.

If you're referring to the infamous pick, my take is much like Brock Huard's. If the OC sends in a skunk of a play, it's up to the quarterback to not let it stink.
Since the thread topic is about deep passes. It was a Wilson to Kearse deep pass that set them up inside the 10 yard line in the first place.

keasley45

Reaction score

There's no doubt his time on the pine helped, but to discount the fact that he played for some abysmal staffs is silly. If the plays coming in don't work, the qbs performance will suffer. If the plays do work and the wrs suck, the qbs play will suffer.

That's not at all to say that Geno hasn't stepped up his game. But if you could erase his tenure with the Jets and if last years stats , or slightly worse, had been his first in the league out of college, everyone would have said, ' yeah, ok. The dude is as good as advertised'. Because if you watched what he did at WV and how he did it, a high 60% completion rate with NFL caliber coaching and players around him, wouldn't have been all that surprising.

Fact is he went to the Jets. The JETS. Save a few seasons of overachieving when Sanchez was there and a blip when Favre passed through, the best seasons they've had since the Kenny O'brian days have come from the likes of Chad Pennington and Vinny Testerverde. Their only success has come from defensive, running minded systems. And their last good coach was Bill Parcells. They are a place decent players go to die.

Geno in college never passed for worse than 64.8 percent.

His senior season? 42tds, 6 ints, 71% completion percentage.

His start with the Hawks is literally picking up where he left off. LITERALLY

Junior season? 31tds, 7 ints. 65.8 completion percentage.

So what makes more sense? that a guy that averaged 68% and 98 tds to 21 picks in college would become a guy who would throw for 70%, 4000 yards 30+ tds vs 11ints - logical continuation.

Or that the ridiculous talent he showed over 4 years at WV would translate to 55.8 percent, 12 tds and 21 ints as a rookie?

Your argument ignores what are now beyond obvious extenuating circumstance in the guys he had around him.

Geno smith before he got to the Jets and his career was derailed, was a 68% passer, had a td to int rate of almost 5 to 1, and threw for a ton of yards in an offense that was predicated on cerebral qb play.

Yes, he grew up a lot. But to anyone who took a little bit of time to look at his full body of work and ask the question as to WHY he never caught on, it wasn't hard to see that he had the ability to be closer to the guy we see now than the one he was in a few unforgettable seasons in NY.

And unfortunately for him, he went to two teams after the Jets who had perennial straters in Eli Manning and P Rivers. So its not like he 'failed' at becomng a strater. Those teams werent moving off who they had.

The reality is that most everyone wrote Geno off because we live in a world with a 2 second attention span, where in the media (counting the NFL media because the 'experts' are anythung but), the last thing you did is often whi you are labeled to be.

Geno was an incredible cb in college. He wasn't a a runner/ scrambler. He was a smart xs and os guy who was incredibly accurate, scored at a rediculous rate, and knew the game VERY well. Then, NY happened and the NY Jets Geno is all anyone cared to see, because there was drama on the way he helped to wreck his own reputation. That was the sound bite. That was it. There was no shot at redemption. No one cared. EXCEPT Geno..

That's why when his teammates on the Hawks and Chargers and even Giants were asked to opine on his recent success, they all say a similar thing. That the dude was a pro. Practiced like a starter, prepared like a starter, and could sling the rock. Few were surprised. Because Geno IS who he would have been if not for being drafter by thr Jets and then patiently waiting behind to likely HOF players in front of him.

He's like the girl (or guy) who was a nerd in school, who goes away for a few years and upon return, is the Belle of the ball. The beauty was there. You just had to look (and want) to see it.

Last edited: