Nr 1 deep passer in the league..well well...

RiverDog

Reaction score
There's no doubt his time on the pine helped, but to discount the fact that he played for some abysmal staffs is silly.
Where was it that I 'discounted' the fact that he played for some abysmal staffs? I said that it doesn't account for all of those bad numbers he put up in his first two seasons.

keasley45

Reaction score
Where was it that I 'discounted' the fact that he played for some abysmal staffs? I said that it doesn't account for all of those bad numbers he put up in his first two seasons.
Apologies. To me, that reads as the same thing. discounting how they impacted him and saying they dont account for his poor play.

Geno was one of the stars of the draft when he came into the league because he was THAT good. questionable leadership, but off the charts ability. Sometimes guys come into the league and falter because they cant make it. Other times they fail because they have crap coaches or talent around them and get swallowed up in the pressure cooker of being an NFL QB.

His first season was bad. but so were the Jets and in hindsight, everything about them from the FO down.

His second year? no worse than Matt Hasselbecks last year here when you look at it statistically and a huge improvemnet on year one when you look at them side by side.

and by the way, geno led the Jets to an 8-8 record his rookie year. Its not lik ehe was a complete failure. And the Jets were underdogs in EVERY game that year. Thats fact.

But, the perception around him had already been cast. After year 2, he never got another shot. And even Rex Ryan who coached him and was there even said he didnt give him a fair shake.

Just like 2021 when he came off the bench - 5 td, 1 int. 68.5% completion percentage. Yet even then, perception was that he actually played poorly.

Last year was just a continuation of his start in 2021 and where he left off before being swallowed up in the NY Jets crap machine.

Hard to succeed when your boss has it in for you.

Again, not to say that Geno didnt have some maturing to do as a leader and player, but its hard to do that when the guy thats supposed to be guiding you to your potential, is relishing in you failure.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
The offense was ranked 9th in points scored last season. The defense was ranked 25th. It is unbelievable to me that anyone thinks the offense was the issue last season. I am not saying they were perfect and don’t have room for improvement but any blame for losses last year should largely be put on the defense. Some people I guess have an axe to grind against Geno for whatever reason but he was not the issue last year. Defense was. I am not a stat guy generally but how many games were lost at tend because of defense??? How many games would not been on the line if the defense did not let other teams run through them? The right take.
Certainly some of them were lost with a porous defense. But when the D gives up a score, great qb's are able to pull out a score in the last minute or two when the chips are down and the game is on the line. We saw Russ do it over and over again. Geno? Not so much. I get it, the D was terrible. Fix it, and we win more games. That is true. But win a sb? I need to see more from Geno. Simple as that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Certainly some of them were lost with a porous defense. But when the D gives up a score, great qb's are able to pull out a score in the last minute or two when the chips are down and the game is on the line. We saw Russ do it over and over again. Geno? Not so much. I get it, the D was terrible. Fix it, and we win more games. That is true. But win a sb? I need to see more from Geno. Simple as that.
Bullsh*t ^ Russell Frikkin' Wilson didn't get-er-dun in 2020, when he was HEALTHY...Sh*t Defenses take their QB's down with them...This ain't no exclusive Geno Smith problem, I mean hey, How the hell did All-time "Greatest Quarterback" Tom Brady not "Pull Out a Score" to win IN SEVERAL LOSSES last year, EH?

BASF

Reaction score
I don't buy that excuse, at least not entirely. Sure, receivers and OC's have an effect on a quarterback's statistical performance just as an offensive line does. But Geno's numbers were horrible, too bad to be attributed simply to his receivers and OC. In his rookie season, Geno threw 12 TD's, 21 INT's, and completed just 55.8% of his passes. His second season was better, but not by a lot: 13:13, 59.7%. He has to own those numbers. He's the one that pulls the trigger, not the receiver or the OC.

What's more likely is that his time on the sidelines helped him watch and learn, improve his game without actively playing. His learning curve was much flatter than other QB's, or at least that's how I see his progression.

We'll see how he performs this season. After a phenomenal first half of the season last year, he tailed off significantly in the 2nd half.
One of the more interesting things I have read on this board, allow me to counter with a hall of famer's career as exhibit A that receivers and OC have a huge impact on how one plays:

First team played for with two perennial pro bowl receivers and great OC:
35-15 W/L 1121 CMP 1688 ATT 14447 YARDS CMP% 66.4 TD 102 INT 65 RATE 97.2 ANY/A 7.13

Second team played for with one old injured above average receiver and average receiver and very poor OC:
5-4 W/L 174 CMP 277 ATT 2054 YARDS CMP% 62.8 TD 6 INT 4 RATE 86.5 ANY/A 5.69

Third team played for with two perennial pro bowl receivers and very good offensive HC:
27-30 W/L 1371 CMP 2105 ATT 15843 YARDS CMP% 65.1 TD 100 INT 59 RATE 91.9 ANY/A 6.52

While the offensive line was not as good for the second team as the first, the fact that the two receivers could not win off the line of scrimmage as well as either the first or third team was a huge factor in exposing this hall of fame QB for relying very heavily on the fact that two pro bowl receivers are a huge help. As shown before, Smith's receivers in his first season were below average. When he got an above average receiver in year two, he improved.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Bullsh*t ^ Russell Frikkin' Wilson didn't get-er-dun in 2020, when he was HEALTHY...Sh*t Defenses take their QB's down with them...This ain't no exclusive Geno Smith problem, I mean hey, How the hell did All-time "Greatest Quarterback" Tom Brady not "Pull Out a Score" to win IN SEVERAL LOSSES last year, EH?

Lol. You single out one year while ignoring his career. And Tom Brady? Really? The Tom Brady of last year isnt the GOAT that he was before. The guy is a million years old.

Point is, great QBs pull out wins when the chips are down. Not all of the time, but enough. Geno wasnt capable of that last year. This year,,,who knows. We will see.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lol. You single out one year while ignoring his career. And Tom Brady? Really? The Tom Brady of last year isnt the GOAT that he was before. The guy is a million years old.

Point is, great QBs pull out wins when the chips are down. Not all of the time, but enough. Geno wasnt capable of that last year. This year,,,who knows. We will see.
Lol.. >>>"Great Quarterbacks are able to pull out a score in the last minute or two, when the chips are down and the game is on the line"<<<, I didn't say that, Warhawks did, and my pointing out ONE of the all time BEST Quarterbacks EVER (who by the way has LOST A LOT of games in the last few minutes) THROUGHOUT his 'Young & Old career, POINT BEING, you can't point to just ONE Quarterback and say that if he was a good QB he'd be able to take the whole team on his back, and carry them to a win...ALL the Good & Great QB's have losing seasons, WHY?, because it's a >TEAM < sport.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lol.. >>>"Great Quarterbacks are able to pull out a score in the last minute or two, when the chips are down and the game is on the line"<<<, I didn't say that, Warhawks did, and my pointing out ONE of the all time BEST Quarterbacks EVER (who by the way has LOST A LOT of games in the last few minutes) THROUGHOUT his 'Young & Old career, POINT BEING, you can't point to just ONE Quarterback and say that if he was a good QB he'd be able to take the whole team on his back, and carry them to a win...ALL the Good & Great QB's have losing seasons, WHY?, because it's a >TEAM < sport.

I know you didnt say that and thats what i'm disputing. Great QBs find ways to win when their team is down and more is asked of them than just the system they are running. They dont prevail all the time, but they do a good bit of the time and thats what separates them from the average, run of the mill QBs. Take Wilson in his prime for example. If for not him, a lot of those Seahawk teams post 2014 would more than likely be .500 or worse squads, but he was good enough that 10 or more wins were automatic. You talk about Brady. In his prime, if you gave him two minutes or less to drive his team down for a score, you were in trouble. Surely you understand that right?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Take Wilson in his prime for example. If for not him, a lot of those Seahawk teams post 2014 would more than likely be .500 or worse squads, but he was good enough that 10 or more wins were automatic. Surely you understand that right?
The more we learn perhaps there more we find out the reason we needed to come back was because of Wilson. I do actually believe Wilson was clutch but my point still stands. With all the weapons we have now we don’t need a gunslinger or comeback QB of all time. We need someone who can control the game and not give it away. Geno is more than capable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The more we learn perhaps there more we find out the reason we needed to come back was because of Wilson. I do actually believe Wilson was clutch but my point still stands. With all the weapons we have now we don’t need a gunslinger or comeback QB of all time. We need someone who can control the game and not give it away. Geno is more than capable.

That remains to be seen. Last year he had plenty of weapons too and they were still only one game above .500. Guess its a wait and see situation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I know you didnt say that and thats what i'm disputing. Great QBs find ways to win when their team is down and more is asked of them than just the system they are running. They dont prevail all the time, but they do a good bit of the time and thats what separates them from the average, run of the mill QBs. Take Wilson in his prime for example. If for not him, a lot of those Seahawk teams post 2014 would more than likely be .500 or worse squads, but he was good enough that 10 or more wins were automatic. You talk about Brady. In his prime, if you gave him two minutes or less to drive his team down for a score, you were in trouble. Surely you understand that right?
I KNOW that you're not that dumb, TOM BRADY, IN HIS ABSOLUTE PRIME---->>LOST GAMES Pitt, I mean Jebus Krist man, just ADMIT IT, You're talkin' outchurass...AGAIN!
Two fargin minutes has NOTHING to do with him L-O-S-I-N-G close games back when he was IN HIS PRIME, "Surly You Understand That, too Right"???? LOLOL.
I'm surprised that so many of y'all Geno Doubters/HATERS haven't pulled a muscle trying to pull down on all his accomplishments since playing for the SEAHAWKS....Surly you can do better than to try'n tear down & p*ss on Geno Smith's team mates & fans, RIGHT???...Never mind, I already know how deep the Geno Haters crap runs...He PROVED YOU WRONG LAST SEASON, AND THAT P*SSES Y'ALL Geno Doubters OFF TO NO END!

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I KNOW that you're not that dumb, TOM BRADY, IN HIS ABSOLUTE PRIME---->>LOST GAMES Pitt, I mean Jebus Krist man, just ADMIT IT, You're talkin' outchurass...AGAIN!
Two fargin minutes has NOTHING to do with him L-O-S-I-N-G close games back when he was IN HIS PRIME, "Surly You Understand That, too Right"???? LOLOL.
I'm surprised that so many of y'all Geno Doubters/HATERS haven't pulled a muscle trying to pull down on all his accomplishments since playing for the SEAHAWKS....Surly you can do better than to try'n tear down & p*ss on Geno Smith's team mates & fans, RIGHT???...Never mind, I already know how deep the Geno Haters crap runs...He PROVED YOU WRONG LAST SEASON, AND THAT P*SSES Y'ALL Geno Doubters OFF TO NO END!

Good lord man. Of course Brady lost games. All QBs and teams lose games, but the point cruised right over your head as usual. The point is, if your team is down in the 4th quarter with time running out, a good\great QB is much more likely to be able to get his team in position for the win than an average\pedestrian QB is. Did I break it down easy enough for you to understand?

Your love for Smith is unfathomable. Yes, he played out of his mind and put up good numbers. That translated into a one game above .500 record. There were about 5 one score losses last year. Wonder how many of those a great QB would have won. I can almost guarantee the record would have been better.

keasley45

Reaction score
Good lord man. Of course Brady lost games. All QBs and teams lose games, but the point cruised right over your head as usual. The point is, if your team is down in the 4th quarter with time running out, a good\great QB is much more likely to be able to get his team in position for the win than an average\pedestrian QB is. Did I break it down easy enough for you to understand?

Your love for Smith is unfathomable. Yes, he played out of his mind and put up good numbers. That translated into a one game above .500 record. There were about 5 one score losses last year. Wonder how many of those a great QB would have won. I can almost guarantee the record would have been better.
Do you think Russel Wilson would have done more last season?

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Break it down?, hell no, you're just repeating nonsense (talking in circles)
You're locked in the Geno is an average/Pedestrian Quarterback, so your OPINION of him is tainted (garbage in, garbage out)...Are the lights starting to come on for you yet? (likely not)
Geno has >ONE< year as the Seahawks starting Quarterback, and with that >ONE< year, he made the Pro-Bowl, AND 'Comeback Player of The Year', and what's even more important, CONTINUETY.
Some of y'all had him pegged as a LOSER last season, and he proved to be anything but, and it galls the crap out of ya, and that's on you.

Latest posts