OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

LTH

Reaction score
talk to me about it at the end of the season...

LTH

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/1457842339825676288[/tweet]

The Eagles might be the only team that may claim him before the Hawks, though that even seems like a long shot:

Report: Odell Beckham Jr. Prepared to Cause ‘Issues’ If Wrong Team Claims Him Off Waivers
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/1 ... estination

Looks like he's going to be there if the Hawks put in a claim.

Let russ

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":23w39ho8 said:
Rat":23w39ho8 said:
What great pass rusher or offensive lineman is available? Keep in mind, the trade deadline already passed. He'd be cheap anyway, so we'd still have money to spend if someone else surprising becomes avialable.

Rams just picked up Von Miller. While a shell of his former self, he's still better than anybody Seattle has. Players of need do exist if you look hard enough. OBJ doesnt seem like a player of need, but again, he'll be so irrelevant in Seattle,,,,who cares.

Yes. But Von cost them a 2nd and a 3rd round pick. And was acquired via trade.

Trade deadline is done. So now you're picking street FAs. Not guys better than what we have. There is no pass rush fairy we can conjure up to gift us a player of need. They actually don't exist at this point.

In the lens of guys that are out there, OBJ costs us nothing more than cap space which we have. Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to trade away what little draft capital we had for Miller. We've basically broken the draft bank for 4 years running now on trades. The trade avenue has to be exceptionally modest going forward (thinking more like the Quandre Diggs variety).

Seattle is and has been desperate for young talent for some time.

It's not an ideal fit of talent to need. But it is a fit of talent to surplus. I kind of like the thought of having either DK or Lockett or OBJ lined up against another teams' 3rd CB. There is a mismatch to be had in those lineups. And OBJ can still work the intermediate area of the field at a high level.

Seattle had the same thought when they drafted Eskridge. Add a quality 3rd option to exploit lesser CBs. So it's not as if there isn't wisdom/value in the strategy. Eskridge is hopefully going to be a long term answer. But at this stage -- I'm not sure anyone really knows what we have in him. He likely won't really start getting into form until the very end of the season, if not into next season.

themunn

Reaction score
We likely can't afford to offer OBJ a contract next year if he signs with us (as well as DK - and I would suspect we get the latter), so it's a 1 year rental.

We have cap space to fit him in this year, and it could be a big enough chess piece to get us to the playoffs - at which point, a passing game with Metcalf, Lockett & OBJ could and should be a nightmare for any of our opponents to play against, never mind the fact that it opens up the run game.

For OBJ, it's a chance to play with an elite QB and show that he is still the same player he always was, and get some FA bucks/interest from top-quality teams next year. Gives us the possibiity of a top comp pick as well.

At 3-5 and on the edge of the playoff scene I think it makes sense. As far as the personality thing goes, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is other than being a diva. But hey, he's a WR so it comes with the territory.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Because it has been publicly talked about so much I would say it won’t happen. Something in expected will happen and there will be excuses about “we were all in” but it just didn’t happen. They should just down play it and see what happens if they really want him. I think we’ve watched this theater before.

JPatera76

Reaction score
A few reasons I see him as a good fit and why I think it’ll happen. I was watching the Bengals and Browns game this last weekend and they talked about Odell. The one thing they mentioned stood out too me and I thought wow that’s a Russ move, and that’s Odell excels and is good at adjusting off his route and creating and making himself open for the QB. Russ I’m sure would like to have a WR who isn’t afraid to say screw the route if he sees the QB needing help and getting open.
Also Odell gives us a legitimate 3rd WR threat. I like swain but he’s like Kearse imo. Defenses aren’t intimidated or worried about him. Neither are coaches. With Odell, they have to think about 3 legitimate WR who could do some damage. And they either cover all three and open the Run game up, either for Carson/Collins or Russell. It spreads defenses out. And I agree with others who have said it, screw it we have the cap space, it’s not gunna hurt anything at this point.

RiverDog

Reaction score
massari":rpi9q5i4 said:

The Eagles might be the only team that may claim him before the Hawks, though that even seems like a long shot:

Report: Odell Beckham Jr. Prepared to Cause ‘Issues’ If Wrong Team Claims Him Off Waivers

The Niners pick after us anyway:

Current #NFL Waiver Order

1. DET
2. MIA
3. HOU
4. JAX
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. WSH
8. PHI
9. SEA
10. CHI
11. ATL
12. SF
13. MIN
14. IND
15. NE
16. DEN
17. CLE
18. KC
19. CAR
20. LAC
21. PIT
22. CIN
23. NO
24. TB
25. BUF
26. LV
27. DAL
28. GB
29. BAL
30. LAR
31. TEN
32. ARZ

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":2oo2q4ku said:
massari":2oo2q4ku said:

The Niners pick after us anyway:

Current #NFL Waiver Order

1. DET
2. MIA
3. HOU
4. JAX
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. WSH
8. PHI
9. SEA
10. CHI
11. ATL
12. SF
13. MIN
14. IND
15. NE
16. DEN
17. CLE
18. KC
19. CAR
20. LAC
21. PIT
22. CIN
23. NO
24. TB
25. BUF
26. LV
27. DAL
28. GB
29. BAL
30. LAR
31. TEN
32. ARZ

But I agree with you that he's likely to be there when our turn comes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. He is a hell of a YAC guy too. Throw him a screen pass or a quick crosser and he's off to the races.
Sometime telling me that Russ can't throw short passes in 3.....2......1........ 8)

djb28

Reaction score
We have awesome WR's. How about this organization buys some great offensive linemen?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, free agency is OVER. The Trading deadline is OVER. You can't just go grab an O-Lineman right now. Unless one gets released.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
djb28":2iovm0m7 said:
We have awesome WR's. How about this organization buys some great offensive linemen?

You sir, have a future in general managing.

Seymour

Reaction score
Throwing money away on OBJ would just be another Pete chasing his tail and losing situation. Gunna cause problems with DJ, and blow money on a lost season. Save the cash and use it next season to get help where you need it. Center, L tackle (likely), DB, Diggs new contract.....ect.

SlickRick

Reaction score
Seymour":m026vb0y said:
Throwing money away on OBJ would just be another Pete chasing his tail and losing situation. Gunna cause problems with DJ, and blow money on a lost season. Save the cash and use it next season to get help where you need it. Center, L tackle (likely), DB, Diggs new contract.....ect.

Seymour great post. This ^^^ is what needs to happen.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Now he’s allegedly prioritizing The Packers as his number 1 destination….

Lol the media sure doesn’t waste a moment to stir up shit huh

Latest posts