Oregon State, Washington State file complaint against Pac-12

Maulbert

Reaction score
Oregon State and Washington State filed a legal complaint against the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff on Friday seeking an emergency temporary restraining order to protect what the schools see as an "imminent and existential threat" to the future of the conference.

With the intent of "exploring opportunities to sustain the Pac-12," the schools are asking for a board meeting of all 12 members Wednesday to be canceled and for legal clarity to be given on who has voting rights to control the future of the league.

The essence of Washington State and Oregon State's concerns, if the league's 12 schools formally meet, is that the current members could vote to dissolve or evenly distribute the remaining assets. Washington State and Oregon State consider themselves the only board members and are seeking to survey their options moving forward. They pointed to the conference's bylaws, which state that any notice of withdrawal from the league means a school "automatically cease(s) to be a member of the Pac-12 Board of Directors and shall cease to have the right to vote on any matter."

I don't blame them one bit. The minute everyone else jumped ship, they ceased to have the Pac-12's best interest at heart. If WSU and OSU are correct about to bylaws, then f those traitors, I say.

UPDATE: Edit: Judge rules in OSU/WSU's favor.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
The court ruled in favor of WSU and Oregon State.
The Superior Court of Washington ruled in favor of Oregon State and Washington State Monday, granting a temporary emergency restraining order against the Pac-12 that will disable the conference from conducting formal board meetings until the court rules further. Judge Gary Libey, however, amended the order to allow the Pac-12 to conduct business regarding urgent matters for the 2023-24 academic year before 10 of its 12 members depart for other conferences next summer.
The hearing and subsequent ruling came less than one week after Oregon State and Washington State, which are the only continuing Pac-12 members beyond the 2023-24 academic year, filed a complaint against the conference and commissioner George Kliavkoff. The complaint seeks to prevent any votes on the Pac-12's future from occurring until legal clarity is obtained on who controls what is left of the conference.

From CBS Sports, because apparently ESPN thinks they're above reporting on this.

F the power conferences.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Makes sense. Not really gonna change much in the grand scheme of things, though.

WSU and OSU will be fine in the long run.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Makes sense. Not really gonna change much in the grand scheme of things, though.

WSU and OSU will be fine in the long run.
WSU and Oregon State aren't trying to stop the others from leaving. They're trying to stop them from raiding the money and disbanding the conference they abandoned.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yes, I know. Which won't change much in the grand scheme of things.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yes, I read the article.... I don't know why you're repeating what's in it?

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Yes, I read the article.... I don't know why you're repeating what's in it?
You're saying it won't change anything. The Pac brand is more valuable than the Mountain West, even if it very likely loses it's automatic bid. Stopping the traitorous 10 from dissolving the conference and splitting the money very likely saves both WSU and OSU's athletic programs. That's a BIG goddamn difference than being left cast off to fend for themselves.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It doesn't change MUCH in the GRAND SCHEME of things. The 10 schools are still going to leave. This year is still going to play out the same from the fan perspective, and WSU and OSU are still going to wind up playing a bunch of different schools.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score

Funny, I found it on ESPN easily.

It definitely won’t affect the movement of teams but it 100% is important to the efforts to keep the PAC a viable conference.
The PAC conference has a long and prestigious history of excellence. With hundreds of national championships in virtually every sport. It’s understandable how the biggest universities had to follow the money but that doesn’t mean they get to dismantle what is left.
The PAC can with actual quality leadership continue to be a competitive conference that will excel in many sports and surprise some in the football/basketball arena.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Enjoy being OSU's doormat.
Better than being Eastern Washington University's doormat. (Future projection)

Reality - It's better to be in that conference rather than stay in one which there is poor management and where no one wants to be a part of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score

Funny, I found it on ESPN easily.

It definitely won’t affect the movement of teams but it 100% is important to the efforts to keep the PAC a viable conference.
The PAC conference has a long and prestigious history of excellence. With hundreds of national championships in virtually every sport. It’s understandable how the biggest universities had to follow the money but that doesn’t mean they get to dismantle what is left.
The PAC can with actual quality leadership continue to be a competitive conference that will excel in many sports and surprise some in the football/basketball arena.
It wasn't there when I went looking for it.