Panthers hire Reich. Wilks claims racism

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
She says Marketing in the tweet and appears to have a background in digital marketing.

Right, but going back through her 2022 Twitter, she’s just promoting Frank on Franks timeline with the Colts, then interviewing him About wanting to coach again. Her primary social media function was to be a pr person for her father.

She got hired Jan 8. Wilks thought He himself was actively competing at the time. I can see how he’s pissed And why Florio is writing about it. The worst thing any pr professional can do is be part of the drama.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wilks doesn't have anything to lose by filing a lawsuit. But it's unclear how he'd prove it was discrimination in a lawsuit.

Theres a bias against interim coaches in that they’re not often seriously considered. Biscaccia took the Raiders to a playoff amid Grudens resignation and wasn’t. Rosberg hit upon the key of actually getting Russ to score over 30 points against a playoff team, and it wasn’t like Penner even invited him. Plus, no other team asked to interview, so that’s that.

To say it’s racial, Wilks has to convince people it would have gone differently had he been white. Given that a Lot of white interim coaches get routinely passed over, can’t see how it’s actionable

knownone

Reaction score
Theres a bias against interim coaches in that they’re not often seriously considered. Biscaccia took the Raiders to a playoff amid Grudens resignation and wasn’t. Rosberg hit upon the key of actually getting Russ to score over 30 points against a playoff team, and it wasn’t like Penner even invited him. Plus, no other team asked to interview, so that’s that.

To say it’s racial, Wilks has to convince people it would have gone differently had he been white. Given that a Lot of white interim coaches get routinely passed over, can’t see how it’s actionable
Honestly, I don't think Wilks's lawyers believe they can win this case. Instead, like the Flores lawsuit, they want to cause an ongoing PR disaster that makes the NFL look bad enough to get concessions/protections for minority coaches.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I don't know Reich been apart of signed a QB in FA the last 3 years. Seems like a landing spot for Derek Carr.
Yes, but that never seemed to pan out and ultimately he was fired which is why I think he'll try and draft Levis. I'm not sure how aggressive he will be considering what happened with the 49ers and Lance, as well as Hackett being aggressive to get Wilson, but I think he's itching to right his wrongs with past FA QB's

BASF

Reaction score
They were both interviewed. In the interview they are asked about who their staff will be and what direction they will be taking the team. Reich obviously had an answer that the owners thought fit what they wanted more than Wilks. Deserving the job is a highly suspect way of thinking. Their teams' problem was the offense and primarily the QB.

The interesting part is a lot of analysts are talking about how Reich probably got the job to develop the next QB for them, despite him not really developing any QB's at the NFL level. He inherited Andrew Luck, who was close to a finished product when he was drafted. He was on staff for Phillip Rivers who had already been in the league for years. Someone could claim that he had a major hand in developing Carson Wentz, but Doug Pederson probably gets the lions' share of the credit there. It's not like he did well with Jacoby Brissett and then bringing in a string of people that had already played in his system. If he can't teach the system to a new QB, why get another opportunity?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Regarding Carolina being a trade partner for #5 and being aggressive to trade up, Reich would have been part of the Eagle group that got aggressive and moved up for Wentz right? Sure that didn't work out but might show he may want to take that swing again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point ^
And the draft and/or what teams are going to do is nothing more than guessing. Fun to speculate and talk about though.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Never thought Frank Reich was a great coach to begin with but if the Panthers are willing to swap the 5th and 9th pick with Seattle, and Seattle gets the 2024 and 2025 Panthers first round pick, then Seattle should definitely do it!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
It doesn’t help Flores, Wilks or Ray Horton are defensive coaches the current trend are offensive. If any defense coach gets a job it will be Ryans. Flores claims he got a sham interview with the Giants which was because he was there to satisfy the Rooney rule which IMO is a bad rule it’s just for checking boxes and a waste of the teams and coaches time

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

This article summarizes up the queasy feeling about this.

You have Lovie Smith out of work despite outperforming Jeff Saturday, still in contention.

You have Wilks, whose fling his interview prep while Reichs daughter has been hired and her only job has been Tweeting about Daddy.

You ave Bieniemy, who keeps being oc for a Super Bowl team get interviews, and men like Rhule, McDaniels and Hackett getting chances.

There seems a pattern. But I don’t know if it’s actionable.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

You have Lovie Smith out of work despite outperforming Jeff Saturday, still in contention.

You have Wilks, whose fling his interview prep while Reichs daughter has been hired and her only job has been Tweeting about Daddy.

You ave Bieniemy, who keeps being oc for a Super Bowl team get interviews, and men like Rhule, McDaniels and Hackett getting chances.

I have been following a Houston area sports talk show on YouTube called The Wheel House to get an inside feel for the Texans pretty much the Texans between the owner and GM are a shit show with the ongoing joke with them having zoom interviews with the coaching candidates and the chances of the owner wearing pants, there were comments that they would gladly give up the #2 pick for a competent owner. Smith should never have been given the job to begin with Jonathon Gannon was the favorite at the time and is expected to get the job. My guess is Ryans goes back to the 9ers.

As far as the Colts they are a dumpster fire with not a lot of talent and also a shitty owner. If I was a coordinator I wouldn’t accept an interview from the Colts or Texans

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Colts Interviewed Rams dc Raheem Morris until 3 in the morning. The Texans and Broncos both have Ryans at the top of the list.

I don’t get why teams why Major qb or offensive issues select a defensive coordinator. Let’s say Broncs pick Ryans.

Ryans hasn’t even had an offensive coordinator brother to bounce things off of. The oc and hc are both Kyle. Demeco‘s job is explain things to Kyle; it’s not like Kyle has to explain anything he does to him. He has minimal interaction with offensive players or coaches by design so how’s he supposed to know instantly how to fix the problems on that side of the ball, let alone recruit them. He has no firsthand knowledge in how to fix their qb, and the people that do aren’t his Peers but his boss’s, really.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The Colts Interviewed Rams dc Raheem Morris until 3 in the morning. The Texans and Broncos both have Ryans at the top of the list.

I don’t get why teams why Major qb or offensive issues select a defensive coordinator. Let’s say Broncs pick Ryans.

Ryans hasn’t even had an offensive coordinator brother to bounce things off of. The oc and hc are both Kyle. Demeco‘s job is explain things to Kyle; it’s not like Kyle has to explain anything he does to him. He has minimal interaction with offensive players or coaches by design so how’s he supposed to know instantly how to fix the problems on that side of the ball, let alone recruit them. He has no firsthand knowledge in how to fix their qb, and the people that do aren’t his Peers but his boss’s, really.
I would think one of the main questions in the interview with Ryan’s is who your OC would be, how do we know if he wants to come also/package deal. I would assume Ryan’s would have a SF position coach lined up maybe the fired Jets OC who was from the Shanahan tree

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

Why are quota systems acceptable for coaching positions, but not for players? It’s ok to underrepresent Latinos & Asians as players, but not blacks as coaches?

Arguably blacks aren’t even underrepresented in coaching when viewed as a percentage of population. For that matter how is the demographic breakdown of players relevant to coaching? It’s not the same job or skillset.

bileever

Reaction score
Why are quota systems acceptable for coaching positions, but not for players? It’s ok to underrepresent Latinos & Asians as players, but not blacks as coaches?

Arguably blacks aren’t even underrepresented in coaching when viewed as a percentage of population. For that matter how is the demographic breakdown of players relevant to coaching? It’s not the same job or skillset.
There is no quota system. But anyone can see that the system we have seems to overlook qualified black coaching candidates. The point is to make the system more fair, so that the best candidates get the jobs.

The fact that black coaches are underrepresented when compared to the percentage of players who are black is significant because coaches tend to come from people who played the game, whether it was at a professional or collegiate level. (Yes, it's possible for a person who never played to be a good coach, but that is a rare case.)

NoGain

Reaction score
There is no quota system. But anyone can see that the system we have seems to overlook qualified black coaching candidates. The point is to make the system more fair, so that the best candidates get the jobs.

The fact that black coaches are underrepresented when compared to the percentage of players who are black is significant because coaches tend to come from people who played the game, whether it was at a professional or collegiate level. (Yes, it's possible for a person who never played to be a good coach, but that is a rare case.)
Yeah. It's just a bad look and PR problem for the NFL. The fact that we're in the thick of the NFL playoff season and this issue is near the top of things being talked about now is doubly bad for the NFL.

The bottom line is it's up to the 32 NFL owners and ownership groups to do something about it. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll start seeing an uptick in black head coaching hires in the next few years. It really can't get much worse than the current 2 black head coaches now with Smith's firing. I think the NFL was as high as 7 or 8 black head coaches some years ago. Kind of weird that it actually went mostly backwards since that high water mark.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Rooney Rule includes women. Specifically, in 2022 going forward, at least one member of a teams offensive coaching staff must be an ethnic minority or a woman. There are no women who have played pro football or even d1, so putting that in as a requirement would mean that no women could ever coach.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Reich’s daughter deleted her whole Twitter.the one in which all her digital marketing was centered around her father.

It looks bad, the Panthers hiring her while Wilks and Others were putting everything they had into their interviews. And she was hired by the panthers own pr, who needs to go ahead and hire a crisis pr firm to deal with the national sports media focused on a marketing person from their department whose job description no one knows.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Reich’s daughter deleted her whole Twitter.the one in which all her digital marketing was centered around her father.

It looks bad, the Panthers hiring her while Wilks and Others were putting everything they had into their interviews. And she was hired by the panthers own pr, who needs to go ahead and hire a crisis pr firm to deal with the national sports media focused on a marketing person from their department whose job description no one knows.
Within the Panther fan base nothing is being said about his daughter and the job she was hired for it’s more about not hiring the interim coach and if he should have been hired. It seems like more of the casual fan feels like he deserved he chance where the more involved fans knew the owner wanted a HC with an offensive background so it was a choice between Reich and Kellen Moore