Pete Carroll needs to go

AgentDib

Reaction score
Or maybe there's a simpler answer; having Patrick Mahomes on a rookie QB deal gave the Chiefs a really great roster for a short window. Much like having Russell Wilson on a rookie QB deal led to some all time great rosters.

Aaron Rodgers was playing for a $6.5m cap hit the only year he won the Super Bowl. Big Ben was on a rookie deal in Super Bowl XL (4.2m). Joe Flacco was playing on his rookie deal when he won one with the Ravens. Doug Peterson had two cheap QBs with the Eagles. There may be other factors that are worth discussing in all of those situations, but 'good QB on a cheap deal' is such a dominant advantage in the NFL that's it's difficult to fairly evaluate other factors.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
AgentDib":5gzqmmrj said:
Or maybe there's a simpler answer; having Patrick Mahomes on a rookie QB deal gave the Chiefs a really great roster for a short window. Much like having Russell Wilson on a rookie QB deal led to some all time great rosters.

Aaron Rodgers was playing for a $6.5m cap hit the only year he won the Super Bowl. Big Ben was on a rookie deal in Super Bowl XL (4.2m). Joe Flacco was playing on his rookie deal when he won one with the Ravens. Doug Peterson had two cheap QBs with the Eagles. There may be other factors that are worth discussing in all of those situations, but 'good QB on a cheap deal' is such a dominant advantage in the NFL that's it's difficult to fairly evaluate other factors.

I agree with this as well. For his many faults, Andy is well ahead of Pete in ability to utilize a QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1z5vkdiv said:
AgentDib":1z5vkdiv said:

I agree with this as well. For his many faults, Andy is well ahead of Pete in ability to utilize a QB.

Reid is an offensive guy Pete is defensive, Reid doesn't know how to get secondary players to play at their potential so he is crap also.

See you can flip that, Reid has had great offenses but has failed due to his defensive side of the ball time after time.

He has won the same amount of Super Bowls as Pete.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The question to me is how many years is zero or one win in the playoffs acceptable? This is supposed to be the glory years. Yes, this is better than many years the team sucked and some here believe that since we sucked in the past we should be happy with our yearly post season participation trophy. I simply don't agree but won’t get into the dozens of stupid things the front office has done to turn us into a regular season success and a post season paper tiger.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He does need to adjust a lot better as a coach in the playoffs. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he has done for the team. But, at some point it's a pattern and it might be time for a fresh start at head coach. It's not happening any time soon, so...…..

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26pxr396 said:
He does need to adjust a lot better as a coach in the playoffs. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he has done for the team. But, at some point it's a pattern and it might be time for a fresh start at head coach. It's not happening any time soon, so...…..

He has done extremely well in the regular season. Kudos to that. And yes, you can't get to the playoffs without a good regular season. We all want the Seahawks to win though we may disagree on how to get there. :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To be honest, his comments after the playoff loss really bothered me, a LOT.
He was ok punting on 4th and short, down 10, in the playoffs with less than 8 minutes to go. Against the best D in the league. That's just plain not acceptable. Love Pete, but he really lost a ton of my confidence in him after that.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26g3qkfh said:

I will always appreciate what he did for this team. And I don't think anybody else could have done it. But nostalgia for that is not a reason to keep Pete around. This is one of the things that allowed Bellicheck to operate the way he did over the last 2 decades. The Pats fanbase was more concerned about winning than nostalgia. Look at all the big names that went through there without the fans batting an eye when the team moved on from them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. Bill B. is maybe the best in game adjustment coach we have ever seen. Let alone his incredible ability to be prepared in the big games and/or taking away the opponents strengths. Just look at the Super Bowl over the Rams. They held that explosive offense to 3 damn points. Prepared, over and over again in the playoffs. Not to blast Pete, but it feels like Russ has had to save him countless amount of times. Whereas, Bill and Tom together got it done. I can't stand the Pats, but it's reality.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
chris98251":21qd059x said:
JustTheTip":21qd059x said:
AgentDib":21qd059x said:

Reid is an offensive guy Pete is defensive, Reid doesn't know how to get secondary players to play at their potential so he is crap also.

See you can flip that, Reid has had great offenses but has failed due to his defensive side of the ball time after time.

He has won the same amount of Super Bowls as Pete.

I agree with this as well. But then why pay a QB top dollar. Get yourself a dilfer equivalent and continue to pump money into the defense.

Reason is probably he knows his job would already be gone without Wilson.

BASF

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wifj5on said:
Absolutely. Bill B. is maybe the best in game adjustment coach we have ever seen. Let alone his incredible ability to be prepared in the big games and/or taking away the opponents strengths. Just look at the Super Bowl over the Rams. They held that explosive offense to 3 damn points. Prepared, over and over again in the playoffs. Not to blast Pete, but it feels like Russ has had to save him countless amount of times. Whereas, Bill and Tom together got it done. I can't stand the Pats, but it's reality.

The thing is, there is a stat for that. Twenty-one fourth quarter comebacks of the ninety-three wins since they have been together. Twenty-two percent is a bit high, but there are people acting like it happens all the time. The most troubling thing is people are so quick to write off the Waldron hire that should have the fan base excited. The main reason it doesn't is this "Wilson camp" crap that may very well have been reporters chasing clicks after the Seahawks are listening to offers and Wilson's agent released the "Wilson is willing to play for these teams" reports, which were real and verifiable.

Waldron's hire is a significant sign that things are about to change offensively. There are people in the fanbase who gasped in horror when Carroll said he wants to run more. The question is why? We were bottom half of the league in rushing attempts last season. Removing the eighty-three times Wilson actually ran lowers us almost to the very bottom of rushing attempts. We were a passing team last season and it cost us horribly in the end.

As far as adjustments go, Waldron comes from a coaching tree that is all about variations. They will run six or seven different plays out of the same formation. This has been missing here for years. The Waldron hire has Carroll admitting that he needs to adapt written all over it. I am cautiously optimistic that there are strong parallels to the Martz hire when he finally got his chance and the greatest show on turf came about.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fingers crossed. I'll believe Pete can adjust and open his mind to doing things different than his "way" of doing things when I see it. Though I am hopeful.