Pete is in wake up mode

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Are we in the place where we truly believe that Pete cares more about doing things his way...than winning and his coaching legacy? Is he stubborn enough to blindly keep doing things the way he always has even if they can't win meaningful games and championships that way?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":2x7d26dn said:
Sgt. Largent":2x7d26dn said:
So is saying it's different without giving proof.

You don't go through three coordinators in four years and have your offense look 80-90% exactly the same without understanding that Pete meddles in scheme and playcalling when the offense isn't being productive.

That's the narrative shared by everyone who knows football coast to coast.

But yeah, I'm sure it's just me.

I agree but I am don't think it is just when the offense is not being productive. I think it is when the defense is bad, or when the offense is not doing it in a way he likes. For example first half of the first game last year was awesome but 2nd half looks just like the same old same old. PC said he wanted to run more to help his defense.

PC uses the offense to help his defense more than any other coach. While some on her love to say defense wins championships let's remember the best defense is a good offense and both of the teams in the SB were top 10 in scoring, while middle of the road in defense.

The reality is like the frog and the scorpion PC will not change his spots. At some time he will change everything back to what he likes even though what he likes has not worked since 2014. Even though by his own words without Wilson he would have been gone a long time ago.

While I am hoping what we saw from the offense in the last 2 games will be the norm. I don't expect it to last. If his defense comes out slow, someone gets hurt, or his run game is not working the way he wants, he will revert and any chance of doing anything will go away.

We will see.

My very first sentence if you look up states that Pete Ball can be successful, as we found out with a healthy and productive Penny.

That doesn't mean he doesn't meddle too much, and I assume that was the crux of the conversation with ownership after the season was over, thus all the coaching changes.

If you want the most brilliant minds in coaching to coach for you, you have to let them do their jobs. It's why Pete's always surrounded himself with yes men offensive coordinators, and hired from within on the defensive side of the ball. Because he wants his subordinates to allow him to meddle.

This is really the first couple of years with the hiring of Waldron and the new D coaches that we've seen different.

But again, this all means nothing if Pete doesn't relinquish more power and allow these coaches to actually coach. So we shall see if he can control himself come regular season.

My guess is no. Dude's in his 70's. He's ALWAYS going to think his ways are the best ways.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
HawkFreak":3ruzuiek said:
Are we in the place where we truly believe that Pete cares more about doing things his way...than winning and his coaching legacy? Is he stubborn enough to blindly keep doing things the way he always has even if they can't win meaningful games and championships that way?

I’ve believed this for years. Pete’s ego/control >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look, I was hoping they would move on from Pete. But you can't actually think that he doesn't want to win. Come on.........

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11il1fau said:
Look, I was hoping they would move on from Pete. But you can't actually think that he doesn't want to win. Come on.........

I think he’d rather lose his way than to win anyone else’s way.

John63

Reaction score
HawkFreak":2v4nru75 said:

past behavior is indicative of future behavior. He is has been here 12 years what has he done that makes you think he has changed or more importantly that any change he might have made he will stick with/ TO me nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":dsj9kz91 said:
SoulfishHawk":dsj9kz91 said:

I think he’d rather lose his way than to win anyone else’s way.

No truer words have ever been spoken about Pete's coaching.

It's why he goes into obtuse I'm confused mode when the Hawk's get their doors blown off and he has to try to explain what happened.......and he tells us he doesn't recognize that team he just saw get their poop pushed in with his easy to attack schemes in full effect.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1l9end5m said:

I think he does want to win but I think he wants to win his way. One of his recent interviews talked in-depth about how SF runs the ball 40 times a game, fyi they do not run the ball 40 times a game. He wants to win the issue is he does not believe there is any other way to win, specifically in the playoffs but his. which has not worked since 2014.

The 2 playoffs teams were top 10 in passing. 9 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs, the rules in the NFL cater to passing. Yet PC talks about (inaccurately) how Sf runs the ball 40 times a game and he wants to run more. FYI neither team in the SB had a top 10 defense by yards or scoring. Neither Sb team had a top 10 rushing team and in fact ran the ball less in the playoffs.

So yeah I think he wants to win I just think he does not know any other way to win but his way or he is unwilling to allow another way. The problem is his way does not win in the playoffs.

Lets remember back 2012-201 PC came out and said they game plan and count on off-script plays. No real offense counts on off-script plays.

again I think he wants to win but does not know any other way but his which does not work anymore, at least not in the playoffs, and is unwilling to allow anything different to run for long.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How many coordinators have changed over the years?

Now how much have the material results of the season changed?

What are the key issues with the offense?

The defense?

How many coordinators have we gone through?

What changes has it led to?

What significant issues with the offense have we fixed?

What about the defense?

When you answer the above questions, then you will be able to realistically project whether we will significantly change anything in the outcomes to follow.

I am not sure how a QB with one foot out the door gets us closer. But it probably won't matter.

The outcome is going to look very similar because the primary factor is Pete.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":pl90fwqe said:
How many coordinators have changed over the years?

Now how much have the material results of the season changed?

What are the key issues with the offense?

The defense?

How many coordinators have we gone through?

What changes has it led to?

What significant issues with the offense have we fixed?

What about the defense?

When you answer the above questions, then you will be able to realistically project whether we will significantly change anything in the outcomes to follow.

I am not sure how a QB with one foot out the door gets us closer. But it probably won't matter.

The outcome is going to look very similar because the primary factor is Pete.

I agree with everything except I am not convinced Wilson has 1 foot out the door.