• Total voters

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wc5l1ay said:
TorontoHawk":1wc5l1ay said:
JSeahawks":1wc5l1ay said:
If he can play I play him.

Seems like a no brainier to me.

Yes give us the best shot to win. Every single game is important to win as the next.

Not entirely true. NFC games are more important, and division games are the most important.

I'd say a 10:00am game on the east coast against an AFC team is the best game to sit Russell if that gives him three full weeks to get healthy.
That's how I see it. Personally I'd be happier if the FO played the longer game.

timmat

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3abbldlk said:
timmat":3abbldlk said:
Until I hear a Dr. or team rep like Pete come out and straight up say something to the effect of "the results of the MRI were clear and show no damage to the...", I'd sit him.

The MRI results will dictate whether he plays next week, and it won't really even be a debate.

This is exactly a large part of my point - nobody that I've seen or heard yet has directly stated what was shown on the MRI. A bunch of "he's doing well", "he's feeling no pain" , "it's a sprain", etc. - which is all great news. But if you listen to Pete's 710 interview today and all other updates, I don't recall any direct report about the MRI results themselves.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2avjzgmo said:
60% of Russ is >> than 100% of Boykin

A partial tear of the MCL does not appreciably increase the risk of further injury.

Why would anyone choose to sit Russ?

Limit him somewhat since he will have some slight mobility issues? Sure.

Pull him if we go up 21? Sure.

Completely pull him out and risk a loss? No way.

He has a historical propensity for playing smart and keeping himself out of trouble. Remind him again and again to play smart football like that, and live to fight another day.
Read this guy above,he does know what he is talking about.The same guy that was spot on about Jimmy and how
he was able to come back quicker than normal.I appreciate SkyDoc's imput and we are lucky to have him here.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1tjvwtvm said:
Aros":1tjvwtvm said:
There's no debate to me. You sit Russell Wilson to give him two full weeks to heal up. I don't even care if it directly costs us a game this week.

He's already going to get 2 full weeks after the game, no?

Yeah it'd be three weeks if Russell sits.

Honestly I'm more worried about the pissed off Jets D teeing off on Russell than him playing with his injuries.

COULD he play if it's a low grade MCL sprain? Sure, dude's tough as hell. Just don't want him to get hammered and make either/both injuries linger or worse...........knock him out for a month or more.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":siub5gh4 said:
Excuse me but this game counts just as much as any of them. The goal is home field advantage in the playoffs, and the last time we played there the result was a championship. You simply play to win and that mean's Russel is the quarterback.

+12

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is a hard question to answer seeing as we don't know how severe his knee injury is. I would tentatively say play him, but give most of the reps in practice to Boykin. If Russell shows he can still throw accurately, I would significantly alter my offense. No more read option, more of a spread offense predicated on WCO concepts. I want our coaches to treat Russell Wilson like he is a Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, IE immobile. If we don't alter the game plan to go with a more traditional passing offense, I want no part of Russell Wilson starting.

hawk45

Reaction score
bigskydoc":23pjkrdz said:
timmat":23pjkrdz said:
Until I hear a Dr. or team rep like Pete come out and straight up say something to the effect of "the results of the MRI were clear and show no damage to the...", I'd sit him.

Watching that knee brace get slapped on him yesterday gave me flashbacks of the brace RGIII wore. RW and RGIII seem to be cut from completely different stock (good for us), but that was one of the first things I thought of.

It is pretty cut and dry really. A mild tear will confer (essentially) no additional risk for further injury. It would be patently ridiculous to sit him for a minor tear. If it is a moderate tear or worse, or if there is associated meniscal damage, then no one is going to let him play.

This is not the same initial injury suffered by RGIII (LCL and possibly meniscus), and Wilson doesn't have the poor body mechanics (or the recklessness) that pretty much predestined RGIII to a life of knee ligament injuries.

This is a whole lot of hand wringing over nothing. The MRI results will dictate whether he plays next week, and it won't really even be a debate. Either he is seriously injured and doesn't play or he is minimally injured and does.

I'm going to quibble a bit with the bolded part.

Russell has certainly been much much smarter about risking injury than RGIII in general. On the series where he was injured, however, he was playing up by 21 points. On first down he held the ball forever, taking an unnecessary sack instead of throwing it away. On third down he held the ball, then escaped, still not throwing the ball away, and was chased down and injured. Then he came back out onto the field against the wishes of the coaches (as I understand it) before the nature and extent of the injury were known. All of this while recovering from a previous injury.

I think it's reasonable to doubt Russell's self-preservation instincts after that sequence. With full mobility, he generally avoids harm. But we've seen this season he is being overtaken from behind when he leaves the pocket, like he isn't quite in sync with how his limited mobility changes the equation.

If we were playing a lesser DL (like the Niners) I might be tempted to roll the dice. But against the better DLs we've seen Russ have to be essentially perfect to operate without being crushed, and that was with full mobility.

To me that seems like a guy who may need to be protected from himself a little.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45 brings up a good point.

I think Russell's a bit frustrated with his lack of mobility, so the two dumb stiffarm attempts is a result of that. He's pissed and trying to be physical.

Gotta be smart, just throw the ball away, cause these defenders are licking their chops that they finally get a slower Russell who's been making them look stupid for years.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
@bcondotta Carroll says there were six doctors looking at Wilson this morning. Says if he plays against Jets he'll wear a knee brace.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'd sit him. It's a long season . I'd give Boykin a week to get ready and play and see where he's at . Wilson's left leg is now hurt because his right ankle was hurt. Things can and will get a heck of a lot worse if he doesn't get healthy.

The Seahawks have the best treatment money can buy and I'd bet on #3 having a full three weeks to rest, rehab and get ready for the last twelve weeks of the season ( then playoffs).

Playoffs?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1k23mfes said:
Read this guy above,he does know what he is talking about.The same guy that was spot on about Jimmy and how
he was able to come back quicker than normal.I appreciate SkyDoc's imput and we are lucky to have him here.

To be fair, it wasn't until the news/ video of him jogging in practice emerged that I became optimistic for a quick return. At the time of the injury I felt it was an injury from which he might not ever fully recover.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I'm actually more salivating at the prospect of what our defense can do than opposed to our offense
I'm actually expecting defensive points this week and when that happens we ALWAYS win
Fitz's qbr is in the bottom 3 and they are gonna be pressured to win so I'm really thinkin it's melt down time for the jets Offense
Go Hawks

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":3e4puope said:
StoneCold":3e4puope said:
Things I would need to know to answer this question. If he has the least variety of MCL sprain, what danger is there to further injury? If it's no greater than if he didn't have it, I play him, if it increases his chance, I sit him.

:ditto:

To me this is the bottom line. ^
Considering that he is NOT the elusive RW that we've all come to know and love, and that he held onto the ball too long on that play & probably should have just thrown the damned thing away, coupled with the injury in the Dolphins game, his percentage of healthy has now gone down even more.
Lack of mobility = too much risk, not enough reward.
Disregarding the possibility of him going down for the rest of the Year?
Russell Wilson is one tough Muther, and will likely be lobbying his ass off to play, so it probably doesn't matter what we all think anyways.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3v9m2p0f said:
dogorama":3v9m2p0f said:
StoneCold":3v9m2p0f said:
Things I would need to know to answer this question. If he has the least variety of MCL sprain, what danger is there to further injury? If it's no greater than if he didn't have it, I play him, if it increases his chance, I sit him.

:ditto:
Russell Wilson is one tough Muther, and will likely be lobbying his ass off to play, so it probably doesn't matter what we all think anyways.
It's good to be alive having a QB this extraordinary playing for our Hawks.

Most of the rest of the NFL is, as usual, completely screwed at QB.

nash72

Reaction score
Its a tough call, but I do think every game is a must win and that includes the Jets. Home field advantage or bust.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think the decision is a little bit different to me.

First, is he healthy enough to play well. He doesn't have to be great, just better than average. Can he handle any pain that might be associated with his injuries right now. Also is he mobile enough to go. Not his best, but just mobile enough.

Second, Has this latest sprained MCL injury made him realize that he did this to himself by not throwing the ball away. He had plenty of time to do so and avoid the hit. At some point he needs to get this down.

Last, will DB and PC use the last game concept and make a major push to get a heavy lead in the first half, and not try to wait until the second half or 4th quarter to gain the lead. If this is the goal I would start him. Get a 21-24 point lead and then let Boykin come in to finish the game. This also would make them force the defense to play very aggressive and not try to play soft zone to protect the lead. Make that defense attack all game long.

If the last comment is the plan I say he starts and plays well. If the offensive game plan looks more like the first two games then I say sit him and protect our franchise QB until after the break. Don't take the chance of another injury if you are going to play too conservative.

To me it really depends on how they intend to play the Jets on Sunday.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
sit him...we are playing with fire keeping him in. Give him the rest, let the kid play. If RW goes down the season is over.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I only voted start him because if I was Pete I'd get both QB's prepared to play. First series get Russell out there to official get the Start. Then after a few hand offs and quick throws, nothing that could allow him to take a big hit, keep him on the sildeline and only use if he is needed in the 4th quarter. I think Boykin could lead us to a 13-9 type of victory.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I'm Pete. I will absolutely SIT Wilson this week. Wilson will never take himself out of the game to heal up no matter how bad his injuries are. I don't even trust Wilson to tell me the truth about injury and he will try to fool the trainers. Look at the way he tried to sneak back into the game last week. In this regard he's to much of a baller.

It's my job to protect my valuable players (assets) in these situations by using my brain. That way I can win forever. Plus we are good enough to win with our back up. Just watch. And maybe start chewing more bubble gum.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Fact is Russell Wilson has a high ankle sprain on his right foot and a sprained MCL on his left foot. The Jets is a team that blitzes all the time and really goes after the quarterback. Especially with our o-line, the quarterback is going to get hit. Wilson cant run sideways with two bad feet and do his mobile spin moves and tricks. He will get hit a lot. To me that puts his long term health in a huge risk, and that risk involves the future of the franchise even beyond this season.

Play Boykin and we risk losing this one game against the Jets and having to go 2-2 to bye... Not really that bad? Besides, I'd say we have great chance at winning with Boykin. The Jets are not much. But they can get to the quarterback.

The Jets have a leaky secondary and a very interception-risky Quarterback. Fairly nice matchup for the Seahawks. But they can and will get after the QB, hobbled or not.