Poll: Who to blame for Adams fiasco?

Who do you blame for Jamal Adams situation?

• Total voters

ZagHawk

Reaction score
You aren't curious. You are asking a rhetorical question in a snotty manner.

It's perfectly possible for a good GM to initiate a trade and that player decide he's not going to put in the effort.
I really was curious..because I'm not in the backroom. I don't honestly know who is more responsible for the players that have been the priority for drafting/trades. JS is the GM so it should be him, but all the rumor mill is that PC has the control.

GemCity

Reaction score
Without hindsight…the trade was costly.

But, the JA we traded for was a monster.

I chose ‘Other’.

Damnit…its Jerhawk’s fault.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Why there is a pathological wish to assign blame to someone here escapes me.

The team traded for a SS when they needed one. The player was a repeat Pro Bowl quality player who'd been drafted in the first round by the Jets, and who was unlikely to reach an accord with them to renew his rookie contract because they had cap problems and he was unhappy playing on a consistently bad team. The player was considered exceptional at his position around the league. The Seahawks were on average drafting at about 25th in the first round at the time of the trade so they'd be unlikely to draft a player of his quality at their position of need. so the team traded and paid a high price 2- 1sts and a 3rd round pick knowing they'd need to re-up the player after the year of the trade because his contract was up.

Adams arrived, and played so well for the team he set an NFL all time record for sacks by a DB and Made the Pro Bowl again. The player looked to be valuable enough to re-up with a new contract and at least considered a high quality addition at a position of need for the team. The player had team leadership skills as well. Some will argue he was misused but the team took advantage of his blitzing ability to get those 9.5 sacks that year as they had little other talent that was effective rushing the passer. Adams started getting hurt towards the end of the season and had repeat finger dislocation injuries that he himself resolved by having the troublesome fingers fused so he'd not lose time to dislocations. He then tore the labrum in in his hip which needed offseason surgery and caused him to lose time again. The team after the first year tried to use him as a more conventional SS with only average results, but he did always tackle hard making a statement. Shortly after returning in year three he suffered a quadriceps injury ending his season early in the season. That injury needed reconstructive surgery and this caused him to lose time until early this year. He then suffered an almost immediate concussion and a repeat concussion leading to his arguments with the concussion protocol. He's presently shown on the injury report as having a knee injury. Sadly while not playing much on a pretty substantial contract is injured again and seems to have lost a step as a result of his injuries. Is this a permanent situation or will he return when he's recovered. That quad injury is often career ending. None of these injuries were his fault or the fault of the team but the player is clear not playing much and is underperforming his contract. The silly social media YIKES!!! BS is just that pure BS though Adams has displayed an immature response to it likely out of a personal sense of feeling disrespected.

In the end I could see the team moving on from him if he isn't ready to renegotiate his deal, and he now has ability questions surrounding his recovery speed caused by his injuries. Is there blame for making a trade where the player hasn't completely justified the price paid for acquisition? Maybe but I don't think anyone really pooched it here as the player was good after he arrived and has had troubles staying on the field since being seriously injured. He 's not the only DB the team has traded to acquire that busted out because of injuries.

I blame buzzard luck and nobody else.

EDIT: injured all year, https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/12/...ahawks-jamal-adams-carroll-2024-injury-future

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
In a way, all members of the Seahawks organization, are to blame for all our good/bad threads on dot net….

Blame everyone!

Walk down the street to your neighbors house and blame him!

It’s his fault, cause he’s a season ticket holder!

In all seriousness, I think Carroll, is too embarrassed (cause Carroll brought Adams here) to do anything drastic with Adams until the year is over.

Ultimately, the responsibility is the man himself, Jamal Adams, for how Jamal Adams acts and does, but Carroll, brought Adams here and he needs to just face the music and let Adams go.

Better to look foolish, and own up to mistakes than to be foolish and continue on.

NoGain

Reaction score
To me, it's PC from the very beginning. JS doesn't get a free pass for the trade or the resigning, but it seems clear to me that both were primarily the brain child of PC. We can't move on from Adams fast enough. He's always been a bit of a me-first, thin-skinned, simmering malcontent, but now he's so broken as a player that whatever he had to give with his former physicality has left the building and not be found.

It's been a mess for us from start to finish with a few highlights sprinkled in here and there.

HHawk121

Reaction score
I really do view moves like the Harvin trade and Adams trade as fireable offenses.
No trade is guaranteed to be successful, but some trades are so outrageous and have such a small chance of success that you have to seriously question the judgment of the people who approved it.

What is really frustrating to me is that the Hawks flat out SUCK when it comes to big moves. They may actually be the worst in the league.

Is there any team worse at drafting players in the 1st round? Probably not.
Is there any team that consistently wastes 1st rounders when trading for players? I can't think of any.

If you suck at drafting 1st rounders then TRADE IT every year.
If you suck at trading 1st rounders for veterans, THEN STOP DOING IT.

The Hawks build up the team and work the salary cap with tons of small moves that add up, and then they blow it all on big moves that don't make sense.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish

Don't know about you, but I seem to recall the last several 1st rounders Seattle has taken have been pretty damn good for us. Did a few of them not live up to the hype? Sure. Most 1st rounders don't, but Jordyn Brooks has been pretty dang good, So has Cross, So has Witherspoon and Smith-Njigba. I seem to remember Irvin doing quite a bit of work while he was here through his rookie deal as well. Do we also get to count Earl Thomas as half-way decent?

Seems to me Seattle has drafted pretty well in the first round since Pete and John have been here. Could they have done better? Sure, but they could have done a WHOLE HELL of a lot worse.

renofox

Reaction score
I don't care about his character quirks - the guy isn't driving drunk or beating his partner.

All I care about is not dumping another $16.5M in salary at him for 2024. Or having to pay an injury settlement.

Bench him before he injures himself again, and release him the day after the SB. We can find plenty of safety value elsewhere and still have $10-12M left over.

Unfortunately, PC is staying and that means Adams will most likely be a Seahawk for another year. 😡🤢🤮

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is the one to blame. Carroll has always placed a huge amount of importance on safeties. Without proper safeties his schemes don't function, they are the linch pin to the success of Carroll's defense. In addition to this, he has authority over JS.

The second misstep with Jamal Adams was Carroll's scheme. Carroll admitted two years after trading for Jamal Adams that he's still trying to figure out how to use him. We traded for a DB that didn't really fit our scheme. Jamal Adams is a fish out of water here.

Jamal was a freelancer on the NY Jets. He did a little bit of everything and was given the authority to act on instinct. Carroll's scheme by comparison demands that everyone follows their assignments. It's a simple defensive scheme, but at the same time it relies on everyone being on the same page and sticking to the assignment, something Jamal Adams never really did in NY.

From the get go he was a huge mismatch. The sad part is, we could've drafted some really good safeties in that time period between Chancellor retiring and now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This all comes back to Pete. He's the one that signs off on any trades, at least those as big as this one was. A year after the trade and Pete still didn't know how best to use Adams. Pete has to take full responsibility for this one.

edogg23

Reaction score
I said JS because they gave up too much to begin with for a player whose position the rest of that league had already been devaluing for years. Then he absolutely loses the Jamal adams holdout when he was already having injury issues by giving out a record contract that again no other team would probably have given out to a safety.

Finally instead of supporting the teams must win game on Sunday he was no where to be found. Why even wait until the end of the season, cut him now before he can somehow screw us over again.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Adams, dude has been exposed. Weak body on the field, weak mind off it. It's been good, but it ain't been that good. Adams can kick rocks, PCJS need to take the hit AND own it being not what they invisioned.

Teams strike out on players every season, who cares, move on. I couldn't give two craps about the lost picks, that was ages ago at this point. Chances are those players would have been jags anyway.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
The second misstep with Jamal Adams was Carroll's scheme. Carroll admitted two years after trading for Jamal Adams that he's still trying to figure out how to use him.
Jamal was a freelancer on the NY Jets. He did a little bit of everything and was given the authority to act on instinct. Carroll's scheme by comparison
This...totally meets the eye test.
Those first two or so games? Wow.

Then it was like Pete said "stop doing that"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Adams, dude has been exposed. Weak body on the field, weak mind off it. It's been good, but it ain't been that good. Adams can kick rocks, PCJS need to take the hit AND own it being not what they invisioned.

Teams strike out on players every season, who cares, move on. I couldn't give two craps about the lost picks, that was ages ago at this point. Chances are those players would have been jags anyway.
Well, to be fair, the 2nd of the 1st round picks the Jets got, they used on Garrett Wilson.

But I agree with what you're saying. It's a sunk cost.

Scout

Reaction score
JS gave up too much along with the contract.

And JS made the choice to value a safety over signing an edge rusher long term. Keep in mind the team went on a rent a pass rusher year after year. PC receives blame as well here to an extent.

Adams was fine when he arrived but injuries really took a toll on him. And when the injuries started to mount it started to impact him mentally as well along with his work ethic. When Adams came into the league he was lauded for his work ethic and trying to turn around the loser mentality that was prevalent in the Jets organization. Adams was very vocal about this as a young player.

The way Adams was used in NY under Bowles was as a hit seeking missile with designed blitzes from the outside gaps of an offensive formation and near the shallow areas with zone. Adams was asked to go downhill more so than back pedal and he thrived on that like he showed early on as a Hawk.

I wouldn't say Adams free lanced under Bowles scheme as a Jet but he was definitely not asked to play a lot of centerfield.

keasley45

Reaction score
Why there is a pathological wish to assign blame to someone here escapes me.

The team traded for a SS when they needed one. The player was a repeat Pro Bowl quality player who'd been drafted in the first round by the Jets, and who was unlikely to reach an accord with them to renew his rookie contract because they had cap problems and he was unhappy playing on a consistently bad team. The player was considered exceptional at his position around the league. The Seahawks were on average drafting at about 25th in the first round at the time of the trade so they'd be unlikely to draft a player of his quality at their position of need. so the team traded and paid a high price 2- 1sts and a 3rd round pick knowing they'd need to re-up the player after the year of the trade because his contract was up.

Adams arrived, and played so well for the team he set an NFL all time record for sacks by a DB and Made the Pro Bowl again. The player looked to be valuable enough to re-up with a new contract and at least considered a high quality addition at a position of need for the team. The player had team leadership skills as well. Some will argue he was misused but the team took advantage of his blitzing ability to get those 9.5 sacks that year as they had little other talent that was effective rushing the passer. Adams started getting hurt towards the end of the season and had repeat finger dislocation injuries that he himself resolved by having the troublesome fingers fused so he'd not lose time to dislocations. He then tore the labrum in in his hip which needed offseason surgery and caused him to lose time again. The team after the first year tried to use him as a more conventional SS with only average results, but he did always tackle hard making a statement. Shortly after returning in year three he suffered a quadriceps injury ending his season early in the season. That injury needed reconstructive surgery and this caused him to lose time until early this year. He then suffered an almost immediate concussion and a repeat concussion leading to his arguments with the concussion protocol. He's presently shown on the injury report as having a knee injury. Sadly while not playing much on a pretty substantial contract is injured again and seems to have lost a step as a result of his injuries. Is this a permanent situation or will he return when he's recovered. That quad injury is often career ending. None of these injuries were his fault or the fault of the team but the player is clear not playing much and is underperforming his contract. The silly social media YIKES!!! BS is just that pure BS though Adams has displayed an immature response to it likely out of a personal sense of feeling disrespected.

In the end I could see the team moving on from him if he isn't ready to renegotiate his deal, and he now has ability questions surrounding his recovery speed caused by his injuries. Is there blame for making a trade where the player hasn't completely justified the price paid for acquisition? Maybe but I don't think anyone really pooched it here as the player was good after he arrived and has had troubles staying on the field since being seriously injured. He 's not the only DB the team has traded to acquire that busted out because of injuries.

I blame buzzard luck and nobody else.

EDIT: injured all year, https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/12/...ahawks-jamal-adams-carroll-2024-injury-future
Exactly this. X1000

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I’m torn here. Adams first year was good, he was used as a rusher quite a bit and excelled. The D changed and he got injured over and over, which could have affected his career. He can’t pass defend to save his life and as a coach, they should recognize this and put him in the best spot to succeed and they didn’t. Now his attitude is terrible and a liability. I don’t blame JS, but do place blame on PC, Clint and JA.

Latest posts