Rasheem Green and LJ Collier, keep?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":3k7g18qb said:
I guess I'll make a comment about LJ Collier after all.

Collier is under contract for 2022. There is no significant cap impact in releasing him now. Like everyone else, he had an exit interview with his position coach. As off season events unfold, a position coach will work with Collier to develop a plan for success in 2022. At the very least, he should bring some useful experience to off season training activities.

My plan is to wait and see what role develops for Collier.

May be Collier will pull a Penny in his year 4?

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":2lvz91n9 said:
Jville":2lvz91n9 said:

Collier is under contract for 2022. There is no significant cap impact in releasing him now. Like everyone else, he had an exit interview with his position coach. As off season events unfold, a position coach will work with Collier to develop a plan for success in 2022. At the very least, he should bring some useful experience to off season training activities.

That's the Seahawks spirit. :2thumbs: Preserver with developmental players!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
toffee":3lzv49j8 said:
Jville":3lzv49j8 said:

May be Collier will pull a (4 out of last 5 games of) Penny in his year 4?

Fixed it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":62kgnmcd said:
toffee":62kgnmcd said:
Jville":62kgnmcd said:

That's the Seahawks spirit. :2thumbs: Preserver with developmental players!

Spirits aside, teams would hope that their draftees contribute at least two, if not three years under their rookie contract. Penny was productive when he was healthy, LJ not as much. However, you are right, if cap impact is minimum, may as well keep him. LJ sat a lot this year, hope that will light a fire in him and come back strong.

themunn

Reaction score
Whilst not appearing much on the stat sheet, Collier started to work his way into the rotation in 2nd half of season, playing 8 of last 9 games (and in the last 7 straight), avging around 20-25 snaps a game. That's after only playing 2 of the first 9 games.

And while correlation =/= causation, in those final 8 games our D-Line played much better. Who knows if it's freeing up space, providing fresh legs to spell the others, or just pure coincidence, but in those final 8 games Collier played, Dunlap for example had 8 of his 8.5 sacks 18 solo tackles of his 24 solo tackles, all 8 of his TFLs, and 10 of his 14 QB hits.

That's despite Dunlap lining up for 299 defensive snaps in the other 9 games, while just 182 in the final 8 Collier played.

Perhaps there's more to his contribution than meets the eye.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It takes a certain type of talent to end up consistently on the inactive list. Collier has that skill. We will always need some players to fill that role each week. Collier can be that player. Of course he has felt disrespected in the past right? Wouldn’t want that to happen again.

sutz

Reaction score
If Collier is already under contract for 22, might as well at least bring him into camp and compete for the 53 next year. Unless we really pack the DL room with talent through FA before the draft, that is. He's certainly good enough to fit on the 90. :229031_shrug:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
sutz":43b3040r said:
If Collier is already under contract for 22, might as well at least bring him into camp and compete for the 53 next year. Unless we really pack the DL room with talent through FA before the draft, that is. He's certainly good enough to fit on the 90. :229031_shrug:

Agreed. Until we actually have a better option in hand there is no reason to release him. What will be interesting to see is if we have a couple interesting UDFAs we are interested in after the preseason are we going to keep one of them or LJ? I don’t have faith that performance and potential will win out over pride and familiarity. We are well past the Best Player Wins era of PCs career.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Dunlap, Green, and Taylor could have had more sacks if they didn't have to be a part of the ridiculous strategy of dropping DEs into coverage.

I think Green played way more snaps than he should have to so fatigue may have played into him being inconsistent. If he plays about 45% instead of 66%, then he may put up better numbers. I was hard on him earlier but he did improve this season.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3e2rs7d9 said:
Even after June 1st Collier's dead cap hit is 1M.

So it really makes no sense not to keep him as depth. Hard to type that, but that's what he is, a mediocre too often healthy lineup scratch.

But again, really no reason to cut him, you're not saving much. Might as well let him play out his rookie deal.

Green played almost 70% of the snaps, so you need to keep him around, especially at less than 1M. That's a great deal for a DE that plays that many snaps.

All this conversation proves is how terrible our pass rush was outside of Dunlap and Taylor.

Agreed. No reason not to keep him unless preseason makes him a casualty because we have some studs come out of nowhere. Financially just makes sense. He was a high draft pick because of college play, which is a dice roll in the NFL. That's why metrics work in some situations, and the eye test works better in others. Have to be able to see how some of these players will fair against nfl guys vs college guys and schemes.

Either way, keep them.at least to compete in camp and preseason. Might grow a bit, never know, and from a financial perspective have to roll with them.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Green is rock solid as a part of a rotation. He had 6.5 sacks and 4 passes batted down. And he's only 24.

Collier has been such a disappointment. And I'm the guy that wanted him in the draft. (A bit later on, but still.)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Can anyone share your observation on Green's games? PFF didn't like him at all, giving him a 50.2. Not that PFF knows it all, but could there be reasons that Green got such a low grade? He did have 30 solo tackles, and 8 sacks.

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":2r48tvca said:
Can anyone share your observation on Green's games? PFF didn't like him at all, giving him a 50.2. Not that PFF knows it all, but could there be reasons that Green got such a low grade? He did have 30 solo tackles, and 8 sacks.

:177692: No way with that lead in!

With all the in house subscribers treating their entertainment product like its the holly grail, your asking someone to volunteer to stick their foot in a frigging bear trap.

justafan

Reaction score
toffee":3psw6kvd said:

When I watch a game I follow the ball. Most probably watch the game that way. I used to watch all 22 or the dvr and watch other players but even then you never know if everyone did his job. At the end of the year you can look at sacks,hurries and QB knockdowns and still dont know if he did his job on the rest of his snaps. How many screen passes did they ignore or miss by going for the sack and play hero ball. Did they hold the edge or do their job on run fits.

I dont believe PFF watches every player to the point they can grade them honestly. Mostly I think its BS. The coaches are the among the only ones that really knows if he did his job the way the coaches want.

If we keep him I hope they get some help for him by getting a better pass rush from the inside.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
There's no benefit to cutting either of them. Its ok to have them at least for rotational depth, and hope we can find an upgrade to start over them.