Russ ands his teammates

steelhead_fishn

Reaction score
There are 12 threads debating how the blame pie should be sliced, that is not the intent of this thread. Rather, I am curious to get folks perspective on the thematic issue with Russ vs his teammates that has spanned several groups of players.

In every version of Wilson’s’ Seahawks there have been star players throwing shade at Russ. This is fascinating given how much collective success the team and the individual players have had alongside Wilson. The LOB was frustrated with Russ and the offense and we saw the sideline meltdowns. Doug has and continues to pick at Russ. The latest is DKs sideline meltdown and Chris unfollowing Russ. This doesn’t seem to happen to other franchise quarterbacks in the NFL. There is sufficient evidence that something is amiss around Russ, but I have no idea what it is.

I’m curious as to what you folks think

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PackerNation

Reaction score
This is on the OC, IMO. You have to make adjustments at half time and do whatever you can to minimize the effect of the defensive strengths. In this case the Ram DL.

Russ missed guys wide open over the top. Why don't they design more backside rollouts for Russ and hit the TE across the middle? max protection and let the WR's win the 1v1 battles downfield. Hawks WR's > Rams DB's

Not the 'Hawks best game and blame can be spread all over but I think the OC didn't maximize his play calling in this one.

OP
OP
S

steelhead_fishn

Reaction score
I don’t think poor game plan(s) would result in multiple groups of star players turning on the franchise QB. It’s fairly unprecedented, especially given the long term success the Seahawks’s have had. People turn on leaders when they lose trust and confidence, the leader operates outside of the principles of the organization, or the leader operates outside of the best interests of the individuals in the organization.

Jeff

mistaowen

Reaction score
It's hard to know without being in the locker room or on the sidelines during the games but from a casual viewpoint he really doesn't seem to be friends with any of them. Probably closest to Lockett but they have very similar personalities.

I don't know what to gauge from social media happenings because 99% of him is sponsored ads or promoting his podcast. His 'on camera' mode is always positivity, always be the best you can be, never give up, etc ... possible that rubs guys the wrong way too if he's different behind the scenes?

Winning fixes everything though. People are upset because they got an ass-kicking at home in the playoffs so now the microscope is in focus.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not true.

When we were winning the LOB called Wilson out. Regularly.

There was even a pro-Lynch faction that was one of the reasons we got rid of Lynch.

I think we got rid of most of the people that had problems with Russ having all the pressure and accountability pulled off him - but to imply that this only happens because we are not winning as much is wrong.

Pete had to clean house because it was a problem.

OP
OP
S

steelhead_fishn

Reaction score
I agree Twistedhusky.

What’s fascinating is - there are teams and quarterbacks that perform at a mediocre level for a long time and their players are fired up and bought into playing for them.

Something is amiss here.

Jeff

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Imo it’s Peteball. A coach that’s “always compete” on the defensive side of the ball and “I don’t care how we play till the 4th quarter” on the offensive side of the ball creates a huge rift in mentalities between the two sides that understandably makes Wilson, as its biggest reflection in offensive philosophy, an easy and obvious target.

Add to that that the end result in virtually every game we play in, regardless of opponent quality, is a rollercoaster nail biter game hinging on 1 or 2 plays or ref calls and have that carry over year after year with disappointing and frustrating quick exits from the playoffs and what you get is a recipe for a huge division in the locker room.

We as fans are pulling our hairs out while watching just 16 three-hour games every year. Imagine what these guys have to deal with living and breathing these complete polar opposite philosophies every day and having Wilson be the Yes Man to it all. Throw in his annoyingly grating positive cliche catchphrases whitewashing the whole thing and I imagine it gets even a bit personal.

But this is just me speculating of course.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's because he's more interested in his own self image and self worth over the team, and that rubs guys the wrong way.

He'll put on a great performance on a prime time Sunday Night game, then come out next week and look totally uninterested.

That and the fact that he's above any repurcusions or responsibility while all other 52 guys feel the pressure that their jobs are on the line week in and week out. It's not fair, teammates realize it's not fair, so they get mad and leave for "greener pastures."

Yet look what happens after they leave? Golden Tate is the only ex Hawk to carve out a decent career for himself after he left. Everyone else fizzled.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Russ is the $35 million dollar man, Mr. Unlimited, face of the franchise, and expected to carry this team far into the playoffs, and back to the SB.

If you think fans are frustrated with his recent performance, put yourself in the shoes of his teammates. They are the ones actually putting in the work, making the sacrifices, day in and day out to help this team win.

So when it's a quick and disappointing exit in the playoffs, despite all the time and energy they put in, I can see how teammates could see this as a let down.

They won't publicly say it. But they study, and they see what's on film.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When you demand;

- to be the highest paid QB in the league
- more autonomy and input with the offense
- declare yourself Mr. Unlimited
- Take an active role in leadership within the organization and team

You take all the smoke and criticism when things don't go well, and more importantly when YOU don't play well.

Btw, these are all good traits you want in a leader, and I bet Russ would be the first person to tell you that he wasn't good enough, and hasn't been for the last half of the season.

He has to own that, and he does. That's what makes him a good leader and player, just so happens other players have had a hard time with how he presents that to them and the team as a whole. Frustrations and emotions are part of the deal.

Own it.

OP
OP
S

steelhead_fishn

Reaction score
My hypothesis, which is probably incorrect, is that Russ’s limitations coupled with a lack of accountability when we fail as a result of his limitations costs him the respect of his teammates. Everyone around him had to execute at a world class level while he gets paid at a world class level, but fails to consistent execute on the basics.

Russ does exceptional things that other QBs could never do, but he seems to be unable to consistently do the things that every other QB in the league can do. He only uses about 35% of the nfl route tree, on third down and short he never makes the easy throw, and he doesn’t seem to see guys that are wide open and past the sticks.

As a result everyone around him has to compensate.

When the defense holds a team to under 16 points and we lose (LOB days), Russ needs to step up and say I screwed up today. This was on me.

Maybe even more than owning it, I think his teammates need to see him adapt.

Jeff

keasley45

Reaction score
steelhead_fishn":sozj7yr2 said:
There are 12 threads debating how the blame pie should be sliced, that is not the intent of this thread. Rather, I am curious to get folks perspective on the thematic issue with Russ vs his teammates that has spanned several groups of players.

In every version of Wilson’s’ Seahawks there have been star players throwing shade at Russ. This is fascinating given how much collective success the team and the individual players have had alongside Wilson. The LOB was frustrated with Russ and the offense and we saw the sideline meltdowns. Doug has and continues to pick at Russ. The latest is DKs sideline meltdown and Chris unfollowing Russ. This doesn’t seem to happen to other franchise quarterbacks in the NFL. There is sufficient evidence that something is amiss around Russ, but I have no idea what it is.

Jeff

I dont think its that big a mystery (maybe). Football is a hard sport. one of the hardest team sports to play because it is SOOO complex and relies so heavily on everyone doing what they need to do - in the context of a play, and in the context of each phase of the game - Offense / Defense / Special Teams.

Russ has never been a system QB. He's never been a 'read the progressions, calculated and methodical ' type of player. He's made his career living off script. Whether it was because he had to because of his o-line, or whether due to his own challenges (height, fear of the INT, competitive fire and desire for the big play), he's filled this era of Hawks ball with countless highlights and success. But i think what we often as fans dont do or arent privy to because we arent in the room when the gameplans are hatched, or in postgame, is how much of the improvisation and spectacle is necessary because of a dificency that needs to be overcome (poor blocking, or wr's that cant get separation) and how much of it is the nature of the player. When its blatantly obvious, as it often (but not always) was early in his career with the lack of protection afforded him, he's hailed hero. But what happens when the plays that should have been successful arent, and its because its RW just doing RW for whatever other reason?

When you are a player who is talented and seeking an opportunity to contribute to a team AND find individual success as well, when you do your part, learn your plays, execute them on gameday and your preparation and execution is for not because time and time again, the play thats drawn up, the play you practiced hours to perfect gets tossed out teh window and its everyman for himself trying to find RW and where he might go with the ball, it can become tiring.

Now when you are ultimately winning, its something you can stomach, but when you begin to lose, or when games are closer than they should be, or you fall behind in games that you should have won handily because the plan that everyone worked toward during the week goes out the window every other play... that can be tough.

And if you are one of those players week in adn week out that are looking at the tape and you see that you were open and the ball didnt come your way over and over again in the natural flow of the game the way it could have.. .again, thats tough. Its tough because YOU could have helped if the other guy did what you all prepared for. The defense... same thing. Maybe they arent as winded or on the wrong side of a lopsided TOP battle if the offense isnt on occassion, unnecessarily going 3 and out. And when 'on occassion' happens more frequently and the QB isnt called out, and worse, is hailed for his magical play in bringing the team back and his teammates, players that feel like they did exactly what they were supposed to do and could have been more successful on a play, in a game, over a season, if things just went according to script, get scapegoated as being the reason why the QB isnt better.. thats tough. Then all teh talk of needing better blocking, needing a better running back, needing better wr's...letting Russ cook. All that talk can be infuriating. Because you are thinking 'Just run the damn play the way its supoposed to be run'. But the media and the fans just see the highlights and the spectacular comeback. While you are there thinking ' we shouldnt have HAD to comeback.

I know i'll get flamed for writing all of that but i think its telling that ADB when asked who the best QB he ver played with was, said Andrew Luck. Tate, when asked teh same thing, Put M STafford and someobody else ahead of Russ. And his former defensive teammates - i think maybe, just maybe they felt as tortured by Russ over the course of the game at times as they felt saved by him at the end. Now DK and maybe Carson. And thats all ok, if ever theres anyone to call him out behind the scenes so that the play improves, he becomes more aware. But RW is a franchise unto himself now. He's been all but bestowed HOF status and so the facts of why he's had to do what he's done all get wrapped up in the myth, and everyone else becomes a bystander, or worse, a whipping boy along the way.

And maybe this is all just a bit more obvious now and for some, bewildering, because his feet arent as fast, his decisions, not as sharp, and the magic, not as consistent. 10 years is a long time to play the hero. especially if maybe you didnt have to the whole time.

ANd for hit teamates, if you spend year after year perfecting your role and you never know on a sunday if it will be worth it or lead to success... or if you are leaving plays on the field, your own personal stats and accomplishments that you should have had by any other measure...

frustration, even in success.

keasley45

Reaction score
steelhead_fishn":av1tx9kw said:
My hypothesis, which is probably incorrect, is that Russ’s limitations coupled with a lack of accountability when we fail as a result of his limitations costs him the respect of his teammates. Everyone around him had to execute at a world class level while he gets paid at a world class level, but fails to consistent execute on the basics.

Russ does exceptional things that other QBs could never do, but he seems to be unable to consistently do the things that every other QB in the league can do. He only uses about 35% of the nfl route tree, on third down and short he never makes the easy throw, and he doesn’t seem to see guys that are wide open and past the sticks.

As a result everyone around him has to compensate.

When the defense holds a team to under 16 points and we lose (LOB days), Russ needs to step up and say I screwed up today. This was on me.

Maybe even more than owning it, I think his teammates need to see him adapt.

Jeff

Bingo

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
keasley45":26h62uv7 said:
steelhead_fishn":26h62uv7 said:

Jeff

I dont think its that big a mystery (maybe). Football is a hard sport. one of the hardest team sports to play because it is SOOO complex and relies so heavily on everyone doing what they need to do - in the context of a play, and in the context of each phase of the game - Offense / Defense / Special Teams.

Russ has never been a system QB. He's never been a 'read the progressions, calculated and methodical ' type of player. He's made his career living off script. Whether it was because he had to because of his o-line, or whether due to his own challenges (height, fear of the INT, competitive fire and desire for the big play), he's filled this era of Hawks ball with countless highlights and success. But i think what we often as fans dont do or arent privy to because we arent in the room when the gameplans are hatched, or in postgame, is how much of the improvisation and spectacle is necessary because of a dificency that needs to be overcome (poor blocking, or wr's that cant get separation) and how much of it is the nature of the player. When its blatantly obvious, as it often (but not always) was early in his career with the lack of protection afforded him, he's hailed hero. But what happens when the plays that should have been successful arent, and its because its RW just doing RW for whatever other reason?

When you are a player who is talented and seeking an opportunity to contribute to a team AND find individual success as well, when you do your part, learn your plays, execute them on gameday and your preparation and execution is for not because time and time again, the play thats drawn up, the play you practiced hours to perfect gets tossed out teh window and its everyman for himself trying to find RW and where he might go with the ball, it can become tiring.

Now when you are ultimately winning, its something you can stomach, but when you begin to lose, or when games are closer than they should be, or you fall behind in games that you should have won handily because the plan that everyone worked toward during the week goes out the window every other play... that can be tough.

And if you are one of those players week in adn week out that are looking at the tape and you see that you were open and the ball didnt come your way over and over again in the natural flow of the game the way it could have.. .again, thats tough. Its tough because YOU could have helped if the other guy did what you all prepared for. The defense... same thing. Maybe they arent as winded or on the wrong side of a lopsided TOP battle if the offense isnt on occassion, unnecessarily going 3 and out. And when 'on occassion' happens more frequently and the QB isnt called out, and worse, is hailed for his magical play in bringing the team back and his teammates, players that feel like they did exactly what they were supposed to do and could have been more successful on a play, in a game, over a season, if things just went according to script, get scapegoated as being the reason why the QB isnt better.. thats tough. Then all teh talk of needing better blocking, needing a better running back, needing better wr's...letting Russ cook. All that talk can be infuriating. Because you are thinking 'Just run the damn play the way its supoposed to be run'. But the media and the fans just see the highlights and the spectacular comeback. While you are there thinking ' we shouldnt have HAD to comeback.

I know i'll get flamed for writing all of that but i think its telling that ADB when asked who the best QB he ver played with was, said Andrew Luck. Tate, when asked teh same thing, Put M STafford and someobody else ahead of Russ. And his former defensive teammates - i think maybe, just maybe they felt as tortured by Russ over the course of the game at times as they felt saved by him at the end. Now DK and maybe Carson. And thats all ok, if ever theres anyone to call him out behind the scenes so that the play improves, he becomes more aware. But RW is a franchise unto himself now. He's been all but bestowed HOF status and so the facts of why he's had to do what he's done all get wrapped up in the myth, and everyone else becomes a bystander, or worse, a whipping boy along the way.

And maybe this is all just a bit more obvious now and for some, bewildering, because his feet arent as fast, his decisions, not as sharp, and the magic, not as consistent. 10 years is a long time to play the hero. especially if maybe you didnt have to the whole time.

ANd for hit teamates, if you spend year after year perfecting your role and you never know on a sunday if it will be worth it or lead to success... or if you are leaving plays on the field, your own personal stats and accomplishments that you should have had by any other measure...

frustration, even in success.
Well said. The most maddening part of this, is that we'll most certainly never know the full truth to how much or how often the scenario you've described has happened. I guarantee it has happened in a few games at the least.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Just a thought, but maybe it's because he's seen as too much of a "company man".

He is the ONLY player on that squad of 52 that has the ability to 1). change plays at the line of scrimmage, especially if its the same damn play that's already gone nowhere or to take advantage of what the defense is showing and 2). actually take an issue with how the team prepares week in and week out. if he wanted to exert pressure on Coach Carroll, for the betterment of the team, say, by insisting the team start and stay in an uptempo play-calling scheme, he could. He doesn't. He doesn't fight the fight only he is capable of winning. And that's gotta be depressing for the team as a whole.

I keep wondering, why does Carroll make at least one dumb-ass challenge every game, like clockwork. We all see it. I'm yelling at my tv every weekend, because the red flag goes out to challenge a play that everyone, from announcers to fans, can clearly see on replay won't be overturned. Yet Carroll keeps challenging. Isn't there supposed to be someone in a booth somewhere reviewing those plays, telling the coach in his headset whether to challenge or not? I bet there is, and I bet they like keeping their job, because either they tell coach and he doesn't listen, or they don't tell him because they know its of no use.

Carroll may be unerringly loyal to his staff, but that's largely because they are "yes men" that understand that his constant meddling is part of their job description. The only one with any leverage over Carroll, the ONLY person, is Russ, and for whatever reason (loyalty, his carefully curated public image, etc.), he has decided he's going to shut his mouth, just like the Challenge guy in the booth. Probably, because he knows their is no point.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":stvzracr said:
Btw, these are all good traits you want in a leader, and I bet Russ would be the first person to tell you that he wasn't good enough, and hasn't been for the last half of the season.

Would he though? Has he? I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just I haven't really heard much of him saying he's not playing well enough to get it done.

Admittedly, I don't live within the local Seattle media boundaries so he may he give honest self critiques more of often than not, however..

I'll I ever hear him say is how much harder he works than everyone and that he is always is the first one in the film room and the last guy to leave and how special the team is.

Sometimes it feels like Russ spent about a decade under the tutelage of Crash Davis.... always a maxim, never honest assessment. Sometimes durings interviews he gets confused and ahead of himself and starts repeating the same cliche over and over at about a mile a minute instead of answering the question.

No matter what you ask him...depending on the year...the answer will be..

"The Preparation is in the Separation"
"Why not us"
"Stay in the moment"
"Always Persevere and have great purpose"
"I don't have highs and lows because I play for Him (God)"

I'll say it (and I love Russ). Sometimes it's easy to question his authenticity and his motive. The essence of leadership is trust (speaking of maxims), and I'm sure there are and have been players who don't fully trust that Russ is authentically accountable and not more concerned with his brand.

But heck...who am I to judge. Best QB in our history and I'm grateful for him.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Any reference to the LOB throwing shade at Russ should be completely disregarded. Unless you agree that Russ isn’t “black enough.” The issue that some players have with Russ, is probably far too political for this forum.

So okay, let’s subtract the LOB. Who’s next? DK? They literally spend plenty of time with each other off the field. DK was saying “Russ for MVP” for half the season. But fine, no chance DK might be a diva. Doug? He’s said nothing but positive things since retiring, and even went on ESPN to say glowing things about him.

There are over a dozen examples of Russ spending time with teammates, hosting them. Supporting his teammates on and off the field. But we’re insisting on this lasting narrative. Almost as if the narrative is more important.

So let’s ignore all the relationships Wilson has had with teammates for years, and instead bring up the LOB and point to an often injured RB.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
rjdriver":2h5v5nst said:
Sgt. Largent":2h5v5nst said:

Would he though? Has he? I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just I haven't really heard much of him saying he's not playing well enough to get it done.

Admittedly, I don't live within the local Seattle media boundaries so he may he give honest self critiques more of often than not, however..

I'll I ever hear him say is how much harder he works than everyone and that he is always is the first one in the film room and the last guy to leave and how special the team is.

Sometimes it feels like Russ spent about a decade under the tutelage of Crash Davis.... always a maxim, never honest assessment. Sometimes durings interviews he gets confused and ahead of himself and starts repeating the same cliche over and over at about a mile a minute instead of answering the question.

"Why not us"
"Stay in the moment"

I'll say it (and I love Russ). Sometimes it's easy to question his authenticity and his motive. The essence of leadership is trust (speaking of maxims), and I'm sure there are and have been players who don't fully trust that Russ is authentically accountable and not more concerned with his brand.

Wilson sounds no different than Peyton Manning, Eli, or even Brady in most press conferences or interviews. There is this strange, almost troubling expectation for Wilson to speak differently. He can’t be cliche (like other QBs). He must somehow speak more “authentically” to be taken seriously. To not be called “corny.” It’s a really, truly ridiculous standard from a character standpoint that most QBs are not held to

keasley45

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3bi7i9jf said:
rjdriver":3bi7i9jf said:
Sgt. Largent":3bi7i9jf said:

"Why not us"
"Stay in the moment"

Wilson sounds no different than Peyton Manning, Eli, or even Brady in most press conferences or interviews. There is this strange, almost troubling expectation for Wilson to speak differently. He can’t be cliche (like other QBs). He must somehow speak more “authentically” to be taken seriously. To not be called “corny.” It’s a really, truly ridiculous standard from a character standpoint that most QBs are not held to

no, actually he sounds completely different than them. He gives basically the same answers every interview. There are rarely specifics about circumstances that resulted in a given outcome. there's rarely nuance in his answers. You can count on it being basically that god was looking out for him, he just works really hard, trusts his preparation, never gives up, keeps on believing... and thats it in a nutshell. thats the same answer you'll get if you they win by 20 or by 2.

It is completely different than most any other qb interview. doesnt make it wrong, but its also not very deep, not very specific, not informative at all and as a result, people feel he lacks authenticity. The media is trying to get his story about what happened in a game or a given situation during the game. It would be natural to get frustrated when you never get anything deep. He's almost the opposite side of the same coin from a guy like coach Belichek. He is also very ... blah, not very nuanced, very generic in his answers. And he gets roasted for it the same way Russ does. But he does it in a 'i dont care if you dont like it' kind of way whereas Russ is always positive and excited to tell you how its just all preparation and the lord's will all the time. But neither of them are the typical interview.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1mdpwqkc said:
Not true.

When we were winning the LOB called Wilson out. Regularly.

There was even a pro-Lynch faction that was one of the reasons we got rid of Lynch.

I think we got rid of most of the people that had problems with Russ having all the pressure and accountability pulled off him - but to imply that this only happens because we are not winning as much is wrong.

Pete had to clean house because it was a problem.
Which is why I fear that DK won't be around after his rookie contract. I think as time goes by and he knows how, not only valuable he is, but oozing with talent and skill he is and continues to grow, he'll fight back. We saw that against the Rams. He'll start to question Pete and Russ and become more vocal about the team and about his own position with the team and then next thing you know, the team lets him walk and they'll sign some scrub in FA to "take over for DK".