Seahawks releasing Carlos Dunlap

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":25butr7b said:
No big deal. I'm sure this will be the year that Collier and Green will finally pan out. *insert sarcasm tag here*

Sigh

Collier is a 5 tech & 3 tech and he’s on track to be a stud! Green might have been a bad draft pick because he has an injury history in college! When you draft a guy as young as Green anything you get in the first 2 years is bonus he’s a long term investment! I would trade Green to the Jets or Raiders if the RW trade goes down and focus on the 2 rookie DE’s we just drafted. But if we do that don’t be surprised if Green breaks out, he’s a very fast DE!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Dunlap is no big deal! Had we signed him it would have meant he’s a stud!

Tinamedina

Reaction score
LOL john schneider, never change! Time to save money for that Wilson bears jersey.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
balakoth":1jmc6rrn said:
We had no cap space and owed him 14 million.. what in the world did anyone expect?

We have plenty of cap space. To get an accurate Salary Cap analysis you must look at 3 years of Salary Cap! If you only look at the current year you are in it will not be an accurate picture in most cases!

The fact Corbin Smith got the Dunlap thing wrong and he also doesn’t understand the Salary Cap shouldn’t be overlooked! Everybody has heard the term FAKE NEWS the reality is Seahawk media pundits understand very little about Seahawk football & the Salary Cap then they spread misinformation to the fans who end up using false facts to judge the Seahawks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":39abxgvn said:
Collier is a 5 tech & 3 tech and he’s on track to be a stud! !

On track? Tell me again when this is supposed to start to happen?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tinamedina":28x980q5 said:
LOL john schneider, never change! Time to save money for that Wilson bears jersey.

Hawks let Dunlap go and they'll sign yet another rent a player after giving the guys they drafted another shot and they fail. Its a vicious cycle.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Paying a 32 year old Leo 14 million per year while your unhappy franchise quarterback demands improvements to his offensive support, in a year where the cap is going DOWN?

Yeah, Dunlap had to be released, as was always the agreement for those who were paying attention. Good chance he comes back cheaper and, if not, there are several options on the market.

Elemas

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":bogmbgdj said:
FresnoHawk68":bogmbgdj said:

Don’t waste your time. This is the same dude that wants Sam Darnold at QB.....

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
ducks41468":9ofmswit said:
Considering we had virtually no pash rush before he got here and considering it's been proven time and time again that line play is the foundation of a championship team (as we ourselves have seen), this is just baffling. But I guess we need to sink all that money into more LB's and safeties.

Secondary play has a higher correlation with overall success than pass rush efficiency, as well as pass blocking efficiency.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
LJ Collier provided a good boost to the line in a rotational role. Game winning tackle vs. Pats, game winning forced holding/safety vs. Cardinals, and 3 sacks while spinning between 3 and 5 technique. Replaced QJeff and more in 2020.

That has nothing to do with Dunlap's role, though... so I'm not really sure why he's coming up?

hawks85

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":10xu3prj said:
MrThortan":10xu3prj said:
Crappy. Hope there is still a chance to come to an agreement. Not sure he is worth the 14mil he would be getting though. Hopefully they spend the money they saved to compensate for his absence.

He's not worth the 14M, which is why we released him.

But Dunlap is worth a 2-3 year deal for someone looking at adding quality DE depth to their rotation. So if you're Dunlap's agent, it's a good time for him to test free agency to see if he can get more than 15M of guaranteed money, rather than taking a pay cut here, or even playing for the 14M one year deal.

Hopefully we can stay in the mix, I'd love to see him back.

Not worth 14 mil? Really, and Reed is worth 13 mil right? I would have cut Reed instead. Now here's a player that's not worth the money he's being paid. They could have just extended Dunlap and other players to free up some cap space

massari

Reaction score
This is the most realistic outcome
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1368997759953551360[/tweet]

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Elemas":q5yoh9tu said:
pittpnthrs":q5yoh9tu said:
FresnoHawk68":q5yoh9tu said:

Don’t waste your time. This is the same dude that wants Sam Darnold at QB.....

I know

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawks85":3hmctude said:
Sgt. Largent":3hmctude said:
MrThortan":3hmctude said:
Crappy. Hope there is still a chance to come to an agreement. Not sure he is worth the 14mil he would be getting though. Hopefully they spend the money they saved to compensate for his absence.

But Dunlap is worth a 2-3 year deal for someone looking at adding quality DE depth to their rotation. So if you're Dunlap's agent, it's a good time for him to test free agency to see if he can get more than 15M of guaranteed money, rather than taking a pay cut here, or even playing for the 14M one year deal.

Not worth 14 mil? Really, and Reed is worth 13 mil right? I would have cut Reed instead. Now here's a player that's not worth the money he's being paid

I agree with you on Reed, but are you seriously attempting to justify a bad contract with another bad contract?

Do you see nothing wrong with this?

misfit

Reaction score
massari":1igwtxvu said:
This is the most realistic outcome

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnPGilbertNFL/status/1368997759953551360[/tweet]

They love their thift shop strategy. We saw it last year on the oline, instead of going after Jack Conklin we went after multiple cheap olinemen and greg olson to "create competition". This isn't working anymore. But I agree this is most likely what they do. Though I could see them going oline in the second. Or trading back into the 3rd and drafting both lol

AgentDib

Reaction score
This move was inevitable from the day we brought him in due to his 2018 extension adding a fake year in 2021 with all the money pushed backwards. Dunlap had an OTC valuation of $5.6m for 2020, and his cap hit would have been $14m with no guaranteed money.

Fans who are concerned about this move should take a look around the rest of the league over the next seven days and will notice that Dunlap is a minor piece to be released compared to what's going on league wide.

AgentDib

Reaction score
misfit":66drxcml said:
We saw it last year on the oline, instead of going after Jack Conklin we went after multiple cheap olinemen and greg olson to "create competition".
Conklin in particular is being used as a bad faith argument by some of the twitter personalities who know the structure of his deal and are just glossing over it to fit their own narratives. His deal looks expensive but tolerable right now, but the Browns landed him by including an additional $6m at the end spread over two void years. Next season he'll be owed $21m for a single year of play remaining which makes it an expensive and intolerable deal and why the Browns outbid everybody else.

Borrowing from future cap shouldn't be something that we laud as fans if we have a long-term perspective.

Meanwhile, Brandon Shell outplayed his $3.4m cap hit this season and $5.3m cap hit this season based on OTC's valuation of his 2020 performance alone. After this season we have no dead money and that's a far better contract in a league with a firm salary cap where getting value is more important than having the best.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
AgentDib":334c57ex said:
misfit":334c57ex said:
We saw it last year on the oline, instead of going after Jack Conklin we went after multiple cheap olinemen and greg olson to "create competition".
Conklin in particular is being used as a bad faith argument by some of the twitter personalities who know the structure of his deal and are just glossing over it to fit their own narratives. His deal looks expensive but tolerable right now, but the Browns landed him by including an additional $6m at the end spread over two void years. Next season he'll be owed $21m for a single year of play remaining which makes it an expensive and intolerable deal and why the Browns outbid everybody else.

Borrowing from future cap shouldn't be something that we laud as fans if we have a long-term perspective.

Meanwhile, Brandon Shell outplayed his $3.4m cap hit this season and $5.3m cap hit this season based on OTC's valuation of his 2020 performance alone. After this season we have no dead money and that's a far better contract in a league with a firm salary cap where getting value is more important than having the best.

I'll take Shell over Conklin ten times out of ten. Conklin is a terrible comparison, and he would've been a bad signing. Fully agreed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawks85":20zq7rgz said:
Sgt. Largent":20zq7rgz said:
MrThortan":20zq7rgz said:

Not worth 14 mil? Really, and Reed is worth 13 mil right? I would have cut Reed instead. Now here's a player that's not worth the money he's being paid. They could have just extended Dunlap and other players to free up some cap space
It sucks ..I'm going to say Reed could get cut as well.
Then Dunlap might get resigned.