Seahawks releasing Carlos Dunlap

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawks85":1gg65dk7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gg65dk7 said:
MrThortan":1gg65dk7 said:
Crappy. Hope there is still a chance to come to an agreement. Not sure he is worth the 14mil he would be getting though. Hopefully they spend the money they saved to compensate for his absence.

He's not worth the 14M, which is why we released him.

But Dunlap is worth a 2-3 year deal for someone looking at adding quality DE depth to their rotation. So if you're Dunlap's agent, it's a good time for him to test free agency to see if he can get more than 15M of guaranteed money, rather than taking a pay cut here, or even playing for the 14M one year deal.

Hopefully we can stay in the mix, I'd love to see him back.

Not worth 14 mil? Really, and Reed is worth 13 mil right? I would have cut Reed instead. Now here's a player that's not worth the money he's being paid. They could have just extended Dunlap and other players to free up some cap space

No Reed is not worth 13M either.........and you missed my point, it's Dunlap's side that probably asked for his release vs taking whatever offer we made him to forgo his 14M and take a two year deal.

Watt just got a two year deal with 12M signing bonus and 23M guaranteed.

So you gonna give Dunlap that kind of a deal? Because I'm sure he and his agent think he can get close...........Dunlap had 5.5 sacks to Watt's 5 sacks last year, and he barely played before getting here.

misfit

Reaction score
AgentDib":3leclkln said:
misfit":3leclkln said:
We saw it last year on the oline, instead of going after Jack Conklin we went after multiple cheap olinemen and greg olson to "create competition".
Conklin in particular is being used as a bad faith argument by some of the twitter personalities who know the structure of his deal and are just glossing over it to fit their own narratives. His deal looks expensive but tolerable right now, but the Browns landed him by including an additional $6m at the end spread over two void years. Next season he'll be owed $21m for a single year of play remaining which makes it an expensive and intolerable deal and why the Browns outbid everybody else.

Borrowing from future cap shouldn't be something that we laud as fans if we have a long-term perspective.

Meanwhile, Brandon Shell outplayed his $3.4m cap hit this season and $5.3m cap hit this season based on OTC's valuation of his 2020 performance alone. After this season we have no dead money and that's a far better contract in a league with a firm salary cap where getting value is more important than having the best.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but there is a time you gotta get past the bargain bin shopping and go all in on elite talent. We had a lot of cap room last season and have nothing or almost nothing to show for it last season. I know that Shell panned out well, but on the whole this team does really bad in FA. Far gone are the days of the zach millers and avrils and bennets.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/D7_Reed/status/1369017914226057220[/tweet]

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
AgentDib":309qt5hz said:
misfit":309qt5hz said:
We saw it last year on the oline, instead of going after Jack Conklin we went after multiple cheap olinemen and greg olson to "create competition".
Conklin in particular is being used as a bad faith argument by some of the twitter personalities who know the structure of his deal and are just glossing over it to fit their own narratives. His deal looks expensive but tolerable right now, but the Browns landed him by including an additional $6m at the end spread over two void years. Next season he'll be owed $21m for a single year of play remaining which makes it an expensive and intolerable deal and why the Browns outbid everybody else.

Borrowing from future cap shouldn't be something that we laud as fans if we have a long-term perspective.

Meanwhile, Brandon Shell outplayed his $3.4m cap hit this season and $5.3m cap hit this season based on OTC's valuation of his 2020 performance alone. After this season we have no dead money and that's a far better contract in a league with a firm salary cap where getting value is more important than having the best.

No way Conklin has an injury history! Besides Zach Banner was going to start at RT until he got injured, he’s a free Agent, Trent Brown & Ryan Ramczyk could get cut and definitely available for trade!

No brainer pass on RT in 2020 wait for 2021.

Completely stupid to sign any Free Agent big deals in 2020!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
massari":39tgb02t said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/D7_Reed/status/1369017914226057220[/tweet]

%100 fact! Ask Dilfer, both Mannings, and Brady! Brady relied on defense & running the football in most of his Super Bowl wins except when he beat us! It’s been Gronk, Running the ball, and defense for 3 straight SuperBowls for Brady!

CPHawk

Reaction score
Our D was an all time worse before Dunlap showed up. Yeah, let’s save a few $$$ and cut him.

rcaido

Reaction score
The whole plan when we signed him was to cut him before the season started.

Why pay 14million when you can sign him for cheaper. No one is going to pay him 14million. If he signs elsewhere to be bitter or go to a more desirable destination, then we get a comp pick.

With the salary cap dropping there will be quite a few options to try to get a quality pass rusher. Im still hoping that we can resign him, if not use the money to protect Wilson.

We still need to cut Reed and try to trade Bobby when his value is still very high.

I think there will be a lot of 1 year cheap deals for quality players until the salary gets fixed next season or the following season.

Rat

Reaction score
The free agent DE market is not great, and I assume we're not going to pay Leonard Williams or Trey Hendrickson if Dunlap was deemed too pricy. I'm curious how much Romeo Okwara is going to draw.

I hope the plan isn't just to hope our current guys improve a lot. Collier and Mayowa are JAGs, Green is invisible, and Taylor has yet to see the field. What's Robinson's ceiling? I barely even consider Irvin part of the picture.

massari

Reaction score
Assuming Dunlap signs elsewhere for around a 1 year $10M deal, they basically gave up Dunlap+1st+1st+3rd for blitzing Safety Adams, even though they already spent a high pick on a player who could fill that role. :pukeface:

It'll be an even better player than Dunlap when Adams' new contract kicks in.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
CPHawk":mt5mum7r said:
Our D was an all time worse before Dunlap showed up. Yeah, let’s save a few $$$ and cut him.

Yup. Now we can use the 14 mill on 3-4 guys who will have no impact on the outcome of any games.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Aros":27qh8ufi said:
Major bummer. Hope we can resign him on a friendlier deal but I doubt he won't get picked up by another team. That really sucks.

Last year, the FO thought they could sign Clowney again. But hey, I'm sure John can land us yet another 1-year rental.

< sarcasm >

chris98251

Reaction score
I believe they think Taylor and Robinson are going to be the guys and then have Irvin and Mayowa there also.

We have holes and with the RB situation and Wilson they are going to go with youth and put money in other places, the puzzle is one of those 10,000 piece monsters someone threw in a box that has no picture to compare to.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Just keep in mind - the cap has to come from somewhere. This could be a sign that they want some room to make some moves to de-escalate the situation with Russ and placate him.

The pressure is on the front office to improve the offense immediately at the request of their validly disgruntled star. With a shrinking cap and a handsomely paid quarterback, the luxury to keep a relatively-overpaid aging pass rusher is something that's mostly left behind.

Furthermore, while I love Dunlap as a 3-down Leo in a more traditional Seahawks front, they could be looking to continue increasing the defensive complexity relating to the front-7 with more bear fronts and what not. A standup guy rather than a hand-in-dirt guy like Dunlap could be the better move in that situation.

massari

Reaction score
Appyhawk":34bjrbvq said:
there's a decent chance Dunlap will be back with the Hawks.
Sounds like he's gone
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMK_c9OHcGj/
*Notification*

Seahawks are releasing Damn Dunlap II after doing everything he was traded to do...

My time there speaks for itself and I’ll say it here. Grateful for the opportunity, Seattle trade helped me grow in many ways. Still would love to play in front of the 12’s, experience Seattle when things are open, but this is what it is right now.

The Passion will continue, it’s clear I ain’t done turning up yet....

Thank You Seattle. To The Coaches, Front Office, My Teammates, To Valet Dude from day 1, The City, My Realtor, and The Great Family that allowed me to get comfortable in there beautiful condo in sky. All of you played a role, grateful for it all.

Sn: Don’t text me I’m good business is business and I’m working at mine lol talk later. Thanks in advance.

BASF

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2j8a5szi said:
Aros":2j8a5szi said:
Major bummer. Hope we can resign him on a friendlier deal but I doubt he won't get picked up by another team. That really sucks.

Last year, the FO thought they could sign Clowney again. But hey, I'm sure John can land us yet another 1-year rental.

< sarcasm >

Seriously glad they did not. He was invisible last season except for two games against two of the worst rated tackles in the league and he still only got QB hits out of them. Of course, he was once again injured and missed time. He was no where near worth the contract the Titans gave him.

Maelstrom787":2j8a5szi said:
Just keep in mind - the cap has to come from somewhere. This could be a sign that they want some room to make some moves to de-escalate the situation with Russ and placate him.

The pressure is on the front office to improve the offense immediately at the request of their validly disgruntled star. With a shrinking cap and a handsomely paid quarterback, the luxury to keep a relatively-overpaid aging pass rusher is something that's mostly left behind.

This is my hope. We need to stop playing around with this situation. I want us to go after Joe Thuney or a combination of Jon Feliciano and Nick Martin/David Andrews. Wilson has pretty much thrown down the gauntlet that he wants the O-Line improved, and it is high time we get it done.