OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":23pr5aj4 said:
Maelstrom787":23pr5aj4 said:
He's going to a coach who actually develops these cover-3 corners

Ahhh, the Pete Carroll step-kick technique. The technique that he is so confident in that well more than half the CBs under his tutelage fail to grasp.

The majority of the successful CBs from the PC era are from the Kris Richard DB coach era.

It's almost like Kris Richard was a defensive coach with Seattle for 70% of Pete's tenure to date.

Reed has emerged here, Diggs has stepped up, Flowers is pretty good for a late round converted safety, and Quill had his best year as a pro the year after Richard got canned. Post-LOB, there hasn't been a dropoff in identifying secondary talent since Richard got canned. In fact, I'd say it got a bit better after 2017.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2b5efwwf said:
Thepeelsessions":2b5efwwf said:
Maelstrom787":2b5efwwf said:

Ahhh, the Pete Carroll step-kick technique. The technique that he is so confident in that well more than half the CBs under his tutelage fail to grasp.

The majority of the successful CBs from the PC era are from the Kris Richard DB coach era.

It's almost like Kris Richard was a defensive coach with Seattle for 70% of Pete's tenure to date.

Reed has emerged here, Diggs has stepped up, Flowers is pretty good for a late round converted safety, and Quill had his best year as a pro the year after Richard got canned. Post-LOB, there hasn't been a dropoff in identifying secondary talent since Richard got canned. In fact, I'd say it got a bit better after 2017.

Reed is OK. Diggs was good even in Detroit. Flowers had an impressive rookie year, but has regressed. Shaq was always no better than average. Aside from the obvious (Sherm, Kam, BB, Earl, Maxwell, Coleman, Shead to an extent, Burly maybe?) who has there been? I look at the flop that got Pete all pumped and jacked that was Cary Williams, the failed low key FAs (no memorable names), and all the draft picks who never progressed (Thompson, Delano, Mike Tyson, Ryan Murphy, Mark Legree, Tye Smith, etc.) and it gives me little hope.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love fkr Witherspoon to succeed here. But going off PCs track record, it doesn't exude a ton of hope.

chris98251

Reaction score
CB's are about being confident, if your coach is throwing you under the bus and or crapping in your bed you don't play as well. I think getting hurt and then demoted messed with his head, sometimes a new start can fix that. I would bet the Negotiations were there is a left CB spot open, it's yours to take.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":16i222ms said:
Thepeelsessions":16i222ms said:
Maelstrom787":16i222ms said:

Seattle took a big shot at replacing the LOB in the 2017 draft and failed big-time.

Shaquille Griffin, Lano Hill, Tedric Thompson, Mike Tyson. We wasted years trying to develop these guys, and ended up having to a) keep drafting safeties (Flowers, Blair, Amadi) and trade for Diggs and Adams.

This draft was a massive fail in every way aside from the fact that they nabbed Chris Carson late. Had a boatload of picks but still got cute trading down and passed on TJ Watt and Budda Baker, two all-pros, to end up with McDowell and Pocic, who gave us one semi-decent year between them.

Who knows how much say Richard had in drafting Griffin, Hill, Thompson, and Tyson, but he didn't have much time to develop them - one year as DC when they were rookies.

The 2017 draft set the team back by about 3 years - 11 players drafted, 6 of those in the first 3 rounds, and none of them are still on the Seahawks roster.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1371978762795950084[/tweet]

1 year, $4m for what is likely a lateral move at worst from Griffin.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":26pst33r said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1371978762795950084[/tweet]

1 year, $4m for what is likely a lateral move at worst from Griffin.

Actually cheaper, we get one player and release two, both Griffins really, as many have said great feel good story but you know they were a package once together here. If nothing else for their mental state.

massari

Reaction score
PFF predicted One year, $1.75 million, $1 million total guaranteed.

Oh well, here's what they had to say about him on the free agency rankings:

AHKELLO WITHERSPOON
A year ago, Witherspoon was benched in the postseason after proving to be a liability against Stefon Diggs, among others. He didn’t win the starting job back, but he did get some late-season starts due to injuries this year and had three-straight 77.0-plus PFF grades against some solid opposition to finish the year. Overall, he produced an 80.9 PFF coverage grade on 334 snaps and hits free agency having at least shown promising play and potential for any team that likes his skill set.

Contract Analysis: We saw this past offseason that the market for cornerbacks tends to fall off pretty sharply after the top group, and while Witherspoon finished his contract year as well as he could have hoped, odds are he’ll need to put together a full season of quality tape in 2021 and then look to cash in on a more substantial deal.

Prediction: One year, $1.75 million, $1 million total guaranteed

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A-Dog":110fsr4d said:
Maelstrom787":110fsr4d said:
Thepeelsessions":110fsr4d said:
Maelstrom787":110fsr4d said:

Seattle took a big shot at replacing the LOB in the 2017 draft and failed big-time.

Shaquille Griffin, Lano Hill, Tedric Thompson, Mike Tyson. We wasted years trying to develop these guys, and ended up having to a) keep drafting safeties (Flowers, Blair, Amadi) and trade for Diggs and Adams.

This draft was a massive fail in every way aside from the fact that they nabbed Chris Carson late. Had a boatload of picks but still got cute trading down and passed on TJ Watt and Budda Baker, two all-pros, to end up with McDowell and Pocic, who gave us one semi-decent year between them.

Who knows how much say Richard had in drafting Griffin, Hill, Thompson, and Tyson, but he didn't have much time to develop them - one year as DC when they were rookies.

The 2017 draft set the team back by about 3 years - 11 players drafted, 6 of those in the first 3 rounds, and none of them are still on the Seahawks roster.

Quill was a really good pick for where he was selected, but yeah. Awful slate of DBs taken in 2017, and the talent acquired since then has been better.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Ehh. Overrated. When he played against us last year he over celebrated making routine plays. Cant remember what game it was against us, but I was pretty sure he isnt worth 4 a year at the point. Including jawing with our sideline. I guess they think he is starter material.

Own The West

Reaction score
Sherman, Flowers, and now Witherspoon are all 6'3" 200# with 33" arms. Nice to have options. We'll see how he is at press.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
And this is a perfect example of what’s wrong with this team. We can’t draft well and then get these average players for a good value on 1-2 year deals and have ZERO consistency on either side of the ball. There’s so much turn over on this team that it’s hard to build any chemistry or consistency. Even if somehow one of our value free agent signings works out and they play well, since they are on a 1-2 year deal, we often let them walk.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
BEASTM0DE":2xabgxre said:
And this is a perfect example of what’s wrong with this team. We can’t draft well and then get these average players for a good value on 1-2 year deals and have ZERO consistency on either side of the ball. There’s so much turn over on this team that it’s hard to build any chemistry or consistency. Even if somehow one of our value free agent signings works out and they play well, since they are on a 1-2 year deal, we often let them walk.

I can't wait for the 30 for 30 on how Ahkello Witherspoon destroyed the Seahawks. Those dang free agents.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":qzouz9jn said:
BEASTM0DE":qzouz9jn said:

I can't wait for the 30 for 30 on how Ahkello Witherspoon destroyed the Seahawks. Those dang free agents.

Guess you’re not getting the point and a totally weak smart ass comment. How are these 1-2 year rentals working out for us? Just pissing away money and/or draft picks. The 30 for 30 will be about how Pete Carroll ruined a potential dynasty.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
BEASTM0DE":1sez9dxn said:
Maelstrom787":1sez9dxn said:
BEASTM0DE":1sez9dxn said:

Guess you’re not getting the point and a totally weak smart ass comment. How are these 1-2 year rentals working out for us? Just pissing away money and/or draft picks. The 30 for 30 will be about how Pete Carroll ruined a potential dynasty.

Seems like a hilarious overreaction to a decent value signing to me, but alright lol. Continue steaming.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I have low expectations for this move but there's not much at risk.

Witherspoon has missed plenty of time the previous two seasons including nearly half of the season in 2019 from what was reported a minor foot/ankle sprain. He was benched after Sam Darnold torched him in week 2 last season and although he did win his job back at the end of the year, he played four teams that were all struggling offensively at the time (WAS, DAL, ARI, SEA).

On the other hand, there's just not much downside here. The Hawks had 21 UFAs going into this off-season so they can make a few value signings like this without jeopardizing their potential compensatory picks. He does fit the profile of what Carroll looks for in an outside corner so if the Hawks can get him back to that early 2019 form that had people excited this could end up as a good deal.

BEASTM0DE":6swh70ek said:
We can’t draft well and then get these average players for a good value on 1-2 year deals and have ZERO consistency on either side of the ball. There’s so much turn over on this team that it’s hard to build any chemistry or consistency.
We could definitely stand to draft better than we have been but I don't think consistency is that important for outside CBs. This will be another constrained off-season lately so it's worth bringing it up as a factor, but we have smart LBs and it's not a big ask for our coaching staff to make sure the outside guys know their stuff because they tend to be the similar everywhere. In this case, Witherspoon is going to have the same responsibilities with us that he had in SF so I don't see it as an issue.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hard to get excited or depressed about this signing. Its just a 1 year deal for another JAG camp body.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I like the signing for what it is - a flyer on a reclamation project with potential. Not sure the reported $4 million is a value pick up.

Jville

Reaction score
So JS has circled back around and signed a CB prospect of interest that the 49ers drafted 24 picks before Griffin. It's enjoyable to take in further details that lie beyond superficial reports.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KING5Sports/status/1372072545969606656[/tweet]