Thank You Seahawks!!!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20eng3rz said:
Uncle Si":20eng3rz said:
lets say the 9ers do let Harbaugh go...

What NFL jobs do we see as open next year, and are any of them better than Michigan?

Where is the precedent for successful NFL coaches who have the option to stay in the NFL choosing to return to college? I can't think of a single one. Add to that the Wolverines having really taken a hit in their prestige in the last eight years, , and that Harbaugh's family wants to stay in the Bay Area.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I can't think of a SINGLE REASON why Harbaugh would prefer coaching the Wolverines over the Raiders. Add in that it has been reported that the Raiders and Harbaugh are mutually interested in each other and beyond the delusions of Michigan alums I don't even see why this is worth talking about.

For which reasons is Harbaugh going to do what nobody has done before him?

so....

what NFL jobs that might be open next year if Harbaugh isnt with the 49ers would be better than the Wolverines? Anyone have an actual thought on this?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2wiw9n8a said:
Popeyejones":2wiw9n8a said:
Largent80":2wiw9n8a said:
There once was a coach in the NFL that went back to college coaching, won several championships and then returned to the NFL, and won a superbowl.

....And he went back to college coaching because on his first try at NFL coaching he flamed out, and was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level.

If NFL teams are only interested in Harbaugh as a coordinator I could definitely see him going back to college, but I don't think ANYONE thinks that's the case because unlike Pete on his first go around, Harbaugh has been successful.

I wouldn't consider taking the Patriots to back to back playoff appearances in your 3 years as coach with a divisional title to show for it a flame out. The problem there was any coach following Parcells was going to be judged on a very harsh scale because of the success Parcells had taking them to their first playoff game in history and then their first championship in SBXXXI then leaving abruptly.

theres not much sense in arguing...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SeaWolv":1ofaq197 said:
Popeyejones":1ofaq197 said:
Largent80":1ofaq197 said:
There once was a coach in the NFL that went back to college coaching, won several championships and then returned to the NFL, and won a superbowl.

....And he went back to college coaching because on his first try at NFL coaching he flamed out, and was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level.

If NFL teams are only interested in Harbaugh as a coordinator I could definitely see him going back to college, but I don't think ANYONE thinks that's the case because unlike Pete on his first go around, Harbaugh has been successful.

I wouldn't consider taking the Patriots to back to back playoff appearances in your 3 years as coach with a divisional title to show for it a flame out. The problem there was any coach following Parcells was going to be judged on a very harsh scale because of the success Parcells had taking them to their first playoff game in history and then their first championship in SBXXXI then leaving abruptly.

Fair enough. A .500 record isn't flaming out. Doesn't change the fact that after getting fired by the Pats he only had coordinator offers at the NFL level, which was more to my point.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2o9czfi1 said:
Popeyejones":2o9czfi1 said:
Uncle Si":2o9czfi1 said:

What NFL jobs do we see as open next year, and are any of them better than Michigan?

Where is the precedent for successful NFL coaches who have the option to stay in the NFL choosing to return to college? I can't think of a single one. Add to that the Wolverines having really taken a hit in their prestige in the last eight years, , and that Harbaugh's family wants to stay in the Bay Area.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I can't think of a SINGLE REASON why Harbaugh would prefer coaching the Wolverines over the Raiders. Add in that it has been reported that the Raiders and Harbaugh are mutually interested in each other and beyond the delusions of Michigan alums I don't even see why this is worth talking about.

so....

what NFL jobs that might be open next year if Harbaugh isnt with the 49ers would be better than the Wolverines? Anyone have an actual thought on this?

I just answered this: the Raiders.

To the list, based on unbroken from historical precedent, you can add every single other available NFL head coaching job.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":3052aa91 said:
Marvin49":3052aa91 said:
SeaWolv":3052aa91 said:
I know all about his affinity for Bo. He's said in interviews the only persons he would trust more are his father and god.

This ain't about that though.

Personally, outside of the fact that it would ruin any trade possibility for the 49ers, I'd LOVE to see Harbaugh in the college ranks again. Why? I don't want to see him on the OTHER sideline in an NFL game.

IE, I'm not saying this because I have something against him going to Michigan. It would be my preference if he has to leave SF.

I just don't see it though.

Jim wants to be a pro coach. Period. Every move he made was in that effort. From his first coaching job with the Raiders to USD to Stanford to SF...its all about being a pro coach and get the ring he didn't get as a player.

All that you are saying about Harbaugh as a college coach...most of that is probably true (tho don't say that to Richard Sherman or Doug Baldwin), but that ain't how Jim thinks. All that stuff makes sense from the MICHIGAN perspective, but not from his.

Leaving the NFL to go back to college is in effect sating the NFL beat him. Jim won't have that. I love the guy as a coach, but he competes with people to see who can walk down the hall faster. Its in his blood.

Anything can happen so I'm not gonna say 100% that he won't go to Michigan, but I'd be very, very, VERY surprised if he does...Particularly with the wealth of NFL jobs that would be available to him.

Ahh but it is about that and more. It's about preserving Bo's legacy. It's about saving your Alma Mater. It's about whether Jim really wants to make the coaching style changes he needs to in order to win it all. Can Jim change to become more like the Pete Carroll? Pete Carroll is the model for what it takes to be a successful NFL coach. I don't think Jim has that in him right now. It's not admitting he failed. He took his team to the NFCCG for the first 3 years in the league. No other coach has done that. But the NFL is about managing egos and FO politics. That is not Jim's forte. Jim is a straight shooter, 100% accountability, call it like it is kind of guy that can rub people the wrong way. Look what Pete did. He started in the NCAA, went to the NFL, left to go back to the NCAA then came back to the NFL and was wildly successful. There is a precedent. Maybe Jim is finally wising up to the example that is Pete Carroll. I think Pete Carroll is an incredible coach and leader and I hate what some boosters did in the USC program to taint his image.

I think you are letting your Michigan fandom get in the way there.

I'm sure there is a draw to go back to Michigan and save it, but this really reads much more like a Michigan fan fantasy than real reasons why he'd choose Michigan over the NFL...and understand I'm saying this as a person who would prefer he do just that if he has to leave SF.

You keep talking about Jims issues and how he's fare better in college than in the NFL...and you could very well be right...

...but that doesn't mean that JIM sees those as issues or that HE thinks he needs more seasoning. He just took a team to 3 NFCCGs. I really don't think he's sayin' to himself "ya know what, I need to go back to college because I need to be a better coach next time".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3c2uio1s said:
Uncle Si":3c2uio1s said:
Popeyejones":3c2uio1s said:
Uncle Si":3c2uio1s said:

so....

To the list, based on unbroken from historical precedent, you can add every single other available NFL head coaching job.

So... despite the Seahawks own coach doing it, their is some historical precedent in which coaches dont go back and forth? got it.... in fact, depending on what you call "successful" (lets go with mediocre) there have been a lot of NFL coaches who became quite successful college coaches
I cant imagine a coach stepping away from the NFL, its intense pressure and short lifespan for the same (if not more) money of the NFL to return to a major collegiate program and be king.

cant see it. You're right, the destitute Raiders or Jags would be far better than a major college football program.

Truth told, I could care less if he stays with the 9ers, moves to the Raiders, takes over Michigan or flies to the moon. your resolution, however, is assumption not fact.

Largent80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":280th7nt said:
Largent80":280th7nt said:

Flamed out?......He actually had a winning record in the NFL before he went to USC. He was smart and chose a good place to go and it paid off when the best owner in the NFL came calling. The rest is now history.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Marvin49":zaleq3pb said:
SeaWolv":zaleq3pb said:
Marvin49":zaleq3pb said:
I think you are letting your Michigan fandom get in the way there.

I'm sure there is a draw to go back to Michigan and save it, but this really reads much more like a Michigan fan fantasy than real reasons why he'd choose Michigan over the NFL...and understand I'm saying this as a person who would prefer he do just that if he has to leave SF.

You keep talking about Jims issues and how he's fare better in college than in the NFL...and you could very well be right...

...but that doesn't mean that JIM sees those as issues or that HE thinks he needs more seasoning. He just took a team to 3 NFCCGs. I really don't think he's sayin' to himself "ya know what, I need to go back to college because I need to be a better coach next time".

It's possible my maize n blue glasses are clouding my view. Having said that there is no way for anyone to be certain what Jim Harbaugh is going to do. I'm not pulling my optimism from nowhere there have been credible reports that this is a real possibility. For anyone to dismiss the Michigan job out of hand is ridiculous. However I gotta believe his departure from the Niner's has to spark some kind of personal reflection. When things don't go right, any reasonably intelligent person should look back and self assess. Most coaches don't loose a locker room in 4 years after 3 NFCCG's and a SB trip.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1oj4d2tr said:
Uncle Si":1oj4d2tr said:
Popeyejones":1oj4d2tr said:
Uncle Si":1oj4d2tr said:

so....

I think it's more likely he goes to Cleveland, Miami or even Tampa before he goes to Oakland.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":c34cuv4n said:
So... despite the Seahawks own coach doing it, their is some historical precedent in which coaches dont go back and forth? got it.... in fact, depending on what you call "successful" (lets go with mediocre) there have been a lot of NFL coaches who became quite successful college coaches
I cant imagine a coach stepping away from the NFL, its intense pressure and short lifespan for the same (if not more) money of the NFL to return to a major collegiate program and be king.

cant see it. You're right, the destitute Raiders or Jags would be far better than a major college football program.

Truth told, I could care less if he stays with the 9ers, moves to the Raiders, takes over Michigan or flies to the moon. your resolution, however, is assumption not fact.

It seems like you're being serious, so I'll explan it clearly one more time before dropping it.

A) I said that there is no historical precedent for HCs leaving the NFL to be HCs at the college level when they have the option to remain HCs at the NFL level.

After being fired by the Pats, P.C. was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level, so he does not apply to the claim I made.

B) My "resolution" is of course an assumption, and I have not claimed it to be otherwise. It is an assumption based on five things, in descending order of importance:

1) There is no historical precedent for a coach with HC opportunities in the NFL choosing to return to the college ranks. As should always be the case, it should take a preponderance of evidence to believe that something that could have happened all the time will now be happening for the very first time.

2) Harbaugh and the Raiders have been reported to be mutually interested in each other.

3) Harbaugh family nixed a move to Cleveland, OH because they wanted to stay in the Bay Area, where like, the Raiders are, and the Wolverines in Ann Arbor definitely aren't.

4) Alums use Harbaugh's history at Michigan to hope he'll save their flailing major college program. He also has ties to the Raiders.

5) If the argument is that the Raiders have fallen on hard times and are not desirable, the Wolverines are the answer? They too have fallen on hard times.

Make sense? I am making an assumption iit just happens to be an assumption that's based on multiple justifiable reasons. That doesn't mean my assumption is correct (by a long shot), but it is in the least explained (repeatedly) and supported. If someone wants to counter the legitimacy of these reasons I'm all for it, but just disagreeing without anything substantive isn't a good use of anyone's time, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2b4hjjk3 said:
I think it's more likely he goes to Cleveland, Miami or even Tampa before he goes to Oakland.

Yeah, definitely possible. None of these other options would totally surprise me, whereas a return to the college ranks with pro HC opportunities definitely would.

The only chance of that happening IMO is if the 9ers org loses their minds and plays total hardball with trading him, and he just throw up his hands and leaves for college. I expect this not to be the case because for multiple reasons it's not in the 9ers' best interest to do this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":1esia216 said:
He's also from the Bay Area and at one time was with the niners as an assistant coach. Imagine that!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":r1ejk517 said:
Uncle Si":r1ejk517 said:

It seems like you're being serious, so I'll explan it clearly one more time before dropping it.

A) I said that there is no historical precedent for HCs leaving the NFL to be HCs at the college level when they have the option to remain HCs at the NFL level.

After being fired by the Pats, P.C. was only offered coordinator jobs at the NFL level, so he does not apply to the claim I made.

B) My "resolution" is of course an assumption, and I have not claimed it to be otherwise. It is an assumption based on five things, in descending order of importance:

1) There is no historical precedent for a coach with HC opportunities in the NFL choosing to return to the college ranks. As should always be the case, it should take a preponderance of evidence to believe that something that could have happened all the time will now be happening for the very first time.

2) Harbaugh and the Raiders have been reported to be mutually interested in each other.

3) Harbaugh family nixed a move to Cleveland, OH because they wanted to stay in the Bay Area, where like, the Raiders are, and the Wolverines in Ann Arbor definitely aren't.

4) Alums use Harbaugh's history at Michigan to hope he'll save their flailing major college program. He also has ties to the Raiders.

5) If the argument is that the Raiders have fallen on hard times and are not desirable, the Wolverines are the answer? They too have fallen on hard times.

Make sense? I am making an assumption iit just happens to be an assumption that's based on multiple justifiable reasons. That doesn't mean my assumption is correct (by a long shot), but it is in the least explained (repeatedly) and supported. If someone wants to counter the legitimacy of these reasons I'm all for it, but just disagreeing without anything substantive isn't a good use of anyone's time, IMO.

so again... since this is all presumption (as it was to begin with)

If harbaugh isnt the coach of the 9ers... is there a potential NFL job available next year better than the Michigan position

you use alot of variables to support an "argument" thats not even being made. its circles with you, i get it. you're not explaining it, youre extolling it for the sense of being right.

the question, as it stands, is taking over a shitty NFL team better than taking over a major College football program? this could apply to harbaugh, or any NFL coach for that matter. I feel like there are alot more variables at play then youre conceding...

but again, who cares. He doesnt coach my team and isnt tied to coaching my alma mater

Popeyejones

Reaction score
You keep on saying this and keep on not including a single rationale or reason. Trust that your opinion has been acknowledged, there's just no substance provided to respond to.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":vqq6alj3 said:
Popeyejones":vqq6alj3 said:
Uncle Si":vqq6alj3 said:
Popeyejones":vqq6alj3 said:

so....

I'd agree but Oakland has something those other locales don't...at least for now.

LOCATION.

His wife doesn't want to move. They have several kids in school and don't want to uproot. I think that's one of the reasons he went to SF to begin with after coaching at Stanford for 4 years.

Mark Davis is also desparate...so if able, he'll open the checkbook.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Marvin49":n3ivqitm said:
I'd agree but Oakland has something those other locales don't...at least for now.

LOCATION.

His wife doesn't want to move. They have several kids in school and don't want to uproot. I think that's one of the reasons he went to SF to begin with after coaching at Stanford for 4 years.

You speak as if you think Harbaugh has some say in the matter. At this point in the relationship I doubt the Niners care much what the outgoing coach wants. They're going to do what makes their team better and that may not include Oakland.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":2fx852nr said:
He's not going to Michigan.

Sorry man. He may very well leave SF, but there is no way he'll leave the NFL to go back to college. Its not in his character to give up on the NFL level.
Agreed. Harbs loves the abuse. We are talking about the guy who audibled on Ditka and survived as a QB, a guy that got pummeled as the QB to precede Pey-Pey, the guy that in 1990 ran a TD in to solidify my record in FF when Jim Everett was on a bye week. They laughed when I selected Harbafreak as my backup and he made me proud. We didn't have playoffs then, just best record and tie breakers. Douchebaugh earned me 312 dollars with that TD run in my 2 point win.

The guy can be the guy he wants to be in the NFL, he doesn't have to recruit and can screw with the media as they bash him all season long. He must like it because he earns it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SeaWolv":2hu02jmv said:
Marvin49":2hu02jmv said:

LOCATION.

You speak as if you think Harbaugh has some say in the matter. At this point in the relationship I doubt the Niners care much what the outgoing coach wants. They're going to do what makes their team better and that may not include Oakland.

Wrong.

They can't trade him without his approval.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1i7u4486 said:
SeaWolv":1i7u4486 said:
Marvin49":1i7u4486 said:

LOCATION.

Wrong.

They can't trade him without his approval.
Actaully Melvin is right for once in his life, Jimmyboy has to agree to it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ks8c6o8 said:
You keep on saying this and keep on not including a single rationale or reason. Trust that your opinion has been acknowledged, there's just no substance provided to respond to.

Whats my opinion?

I asked a question. I'm not sure you've the capability to understand the difference, to be honest.

when it comes to beleaguering a point about your team, its coach, owners, fans etc. you 9ers boys are resilient.