The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Jerhawk

Reaction score
sutz":se4f8fn9 said:
You guys are funny. Z was all but run out of town because of his low batting average and hot/cold plate presence in general. He was a K/HR bi-polar hitter and very streaky.

:229031_shrug:

But now he's an all star. I blame our hitting coach.

Not the 1st time we cut ties with a player and they suddenly learn how to hit on another team

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1vngt5my said:
sutz":1vngt5my said:
You guys are funny. Z was all but run out of town because of his low batting average and hot/cold plate presence in general. He was a K/HR bi-polar hitter and very streaky.

Not the 1st time we cut ties with a player and they suddenly learn how to hit on another team

He's the same player he's always been. The dude is batting .198. Though that is up from his .165 and .147 the last 2 years with the Ray's.

Zunino had no business making the all star team.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1egrc6u4 said:
Jerhawk":1egrc6u4 said:
sutz":1egrc6u4 said:

He's the same player he's always been. The dude is batting .198. Though that is up from his .165 and .147 the last 2 years with the Ray's.

Good point. Must've been his defence then that got him in?
Murphy should've been an all star too then lol..

sutz

Reaction score
Jerhawk":x9u2xtcs said:
XxXdragonXxX":x9u2xtcs said:
Jerhawk":x9u2xtcs said:
sutz":x9u2xtcs said:

Good point. Must've been his defence then that got him in?
Murphy should've been an all star too then lol..
Z has always been a plus catcher, but I think it's the big dingers that got him in the game. Fans are overly impressed by the long ball and generally don't care about defense. Same thing with JP Crawford. Look at his total game and he's an all-star, but fans won't vote for a player just because he's hitting .300, JP doesn't clear the fences enough.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Kelenic already rejoining the Ms tomorrow. Consider me surprised -- I thought he needed much more seasoning in the minors than that.

getnasty

Reaction score
Ruminator":1t3dyhhr said:
Kelenic already rejoining the Ms tomorrow. Consider me surprised -- I thought he needed much more seasoning in the minors than that.

He almost needs a AAAA minor league team. He's to good to be in triple A but the Majors overwhelmed him last go round. I'm confident he'll be much better this time around and i'm glad there bringing him back up.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
getnasty":1iquqjrn said:
Ruminator":1iquqjrn said:

He almost needs a AAAA minor league team. He's to good to be in triple A but the Majors overwhelmed him last go round. I'm confident he'll be much better this time around and i'm glad there bringing him back up.
I thought the M's were a AAAA team?

sutz

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3ic01zr7 said:
getnasty":3ic01zr7 said:
Ruminator":3ic01zr7 said:

Now, now. :141847_bnono:

They're trying to get the M's into the bigs. :laugh:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1t4oytel said:
getnasty":1t4oytel said:
Ruminator":1t4oytel said:

Yeah, the problem is.. a lot of the other teams arn't.

sutz

Reaction score
I just hope they don't put Kelenic in the leadoff spot this time. Put him in the OF/DH rotation and get him the reps he needs, fine. But he should not be the first batter to face the opposing pitcher. Let him sit in the dugout for a few batters and watch what the pitcher is doing, and talk to his more experienced buddies about what to expect. Not to mention, let him hit with people on base ahead of him so the pressure is on the pitcher, not him.

He's a rookie. Treat him like one. Let him bat in the bottom third until he proves he can hit pro pitching.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":k9k4rbgc said:
I just hope they don't put Kelenic in the leadoff spot this time. Put him in the OF/DH rotation and get him the reps he needs, fine. But he should not be the first batter to face the opposing pitcher. Let him sit in the dugout for a few batters and watch what the pitcher is doing, and talk to his more experienced buddies about what to expect. Not to mention, let him hit with people on base ahead of him so the pressure is on the pitcher, not him.

He's a rookie. Treat him like one. Let him bat in the bottom third until he proves he can hit pro pitching.
I don’t think they will move JP out of the lead off spot.
Your last paragraph is spot on. Hitting JK in the lead off spot in the minors made sense because they were trying to get him AB’s. Hitting him in the lead off spot in the bigs was dumb. He’s not a lead off hitter at this point in his career. I have zero issues with letting JK hit his way up the lineup. That’s the way it should be.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1rb5j4n8 said:
sutz":1rb5j4n8 said:

I don’t think they will move JP out of the lead off spot.
Your last paragraph is spot on. Hitting JK in the lead off spot in the minors made sense because they were trying to get him AB’s. Hitting him in the lead off spot in the bigs was dumb. He’s not a lead off hitter at this point in his career. I have zero issues with letting JK hit his way up the lineup. That’s the way it should be.
He got a little knock tonight. Good to end the 0-42 run he was on. :mrgreen:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1t4gf0ln said:
Graveman a bit rusty after the break. :|
He shouldn’t have be though. If Moore makes an easy throw to Seager @ 2nd it’s a double play and game over. Seattle wins 6-2 instead of 6-5.

Good to see Kelenic get a hit.

Flex outstanding again tonight. :2thumbs:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Turning an easy win to a 6-5 nailbiter. The Mariner way. Games like these are the reason why the run differential is so bad.

sutz

Reaction score
Kelenic still struggling against lefties.

Cal Raleigh, meanwhile, gets his first hit in the majors and his first RBIs. First run scored, too?

Sewald gives up two quick runs in the bottom of the 8th. :34853_doh: