The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Was worried about Marco going into this one in THAT ballpark, great outing by him in that situation IMHO.
Disappointed in Kelenic not getting to the ball on Charlie’s triple, but that’s a huge ballpark.
France is heating back up, and Cal seems to have found his confidence.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2qicdbb2 said:
Was worried about Marco going into this one in THAT ballpark, great outing by him in that situation IMHO.
Disappointed in Kelenic not getting to the ball on Charlie’s triple, but that’s a huge ballpark.
France is heating back up, and Cal seems to have found his confidence.
In that house, you can't score enough runs, TBS. Was worried going into the bottom 9 with only a 2 run lead, but Gravy comes through with the save.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Anemic offense again. Their pitcher is good, but only one hit so far is pretty underwhelming.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You don’t want to win much if you bring in Montero in a close game.
Why is this guy and his 7+ era still on this team?

sutz

Reaction score
Looks like they DFA'd Montero. :2thumbs:

Jake Bauers had a couple of good weeks when he first came over. More and more he's looking like JAG. :229031_shrug:

Not standing up to the A's too well yet. 9 K's tonight so far after 15 last night. :34853_doh:

A couple of bad defensive plays can make all the difference when up against a playoff caliber team. Had the A's by 2 runs, but a botched DP extended the inning and Raleigh mssed the throw on the bounce at the plate for the tie.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1kz0m2wn said:
Looks like they DFA'd Montero. :2thumbs:

Jake Bauers had a couple of good weeks when he first came over. More and more he's looking like JAG. :229031_shrug:

Not standing up to the A's too well yet. 9 K's tonight so far after 15 last night. :34853_doh:

A couple of bad defensive plays can make all the difference when up against a playoff caliber team. Had the A's by 2 runs, but a botched DP extended the inning and Raleigh mssed the throw on the bounce at the plate for the tie.
Raleigh did his best Torrens impression there. Total brainfart by paying more attention to the runner than the ball.
They finally cut Montero, something they should have done 2 months ago.

sutz

Reaction score
...and Kelenic still can't hit a breaking ball. :34853_doh:

sutz

Reaction score
...and Diekman just wild pitched us into the lead and a man on third. :twisted:

sutz

Reaction score
...and Gravy with the save. Another one run win. :irishdrinkers:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Man, Kelenic is frustrating to watch. He's got a lot to work on this off-season.

Raleigh on the other hand...i hope he can keep it up. Does a good job framing, good arm and power behind the dish

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":35sjx5x0 said:
He’s 0-2 constantly. He’s taking strikes right down the middle and chasing balls outside the zone late in the count.
Also seems to be real “pull happy” right now when he does hit the ball.

His approach needs to change, it’s not good currently.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1kz2mmcl said:
sutz":1kz2mmcl said:
He’s 0-2 constantly. He’s taking strikes right down the middle and chasing balls outside the zone late in the count.

Sounds a lot like Seager. :twisted:

Maybe he should get his hitting advice from other players. :mrgreen:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1e49yjle said:
sutz":1e49yjle said:

I also didn't like seeing him slow dog down to 1st in the 4th inning last night on a groundball out.
You're a 21 year old rookie who just got called up again from assignment. Show some hustle.

That kind of attitude would upset me as a teammate. Long got benched for that a couple weeks ago

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":4va05fut said:
Sports Hernia":4va05fut said:
sutz":4va05fut said:

Sounds a lot like Seager. :twisted:

Maybe he should get his hitting advice from other players. :mrgreen:
He looks like someone that is listening to too many people and trying to do every suggestion at once.
He needs to pick one person to listen to, and focus solely on one thing.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I wish they would just leave Kelenic down. He needs to stay at AAA until he goes through a slump and then comes out the other side of it. They sent him down while he was slumping in the majors but brought him back up as soon as he was hitting again down there. It's just my opinion, but I feel like he needs to hit in AAA long enough to go through the entire bell curve of hitting, slump, then hitting again.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He just needs to play better. No idea who is telling him what, but that’s a garbage excuse. There is no reason to be hitting .100 in MLB.

Maybe the lights are too bright, but it has to be a humbling moment for a kid who has probably succeeded at everything at life up until this point.

Not a surprise if he is the next big name prospect to fail with the Mariners.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":341oqesg said:
He just needs to play better. No idea who is telling him what, but that’s a garbage excuse. There is no reason to be hitting .100 in MLB.

Maybe the lights are too bright, but it has to be a humbling moment for a kid who has probably succeeded at everything at life up until this point.

I really think that (what I highlighted) is his problem. He's never really had to deal with slumps like this in his whole career. There have been many players that excel in the lower leagues and just can't make it in the bigs. I really hope his fans are right and this won't be him. So far, not so good. At least they didn't hang him out there in the lead-off spot.

Speaking of which, is it time to drop JP back in the order? He's in a bit of a hole these days and hasn't really been worthy of it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
sutz":2ura63sw said:
Hawk-Lock":2ura63sw said:

I really think that (what I highlighted) is his problem. He's never really had to deal with slumps like this in his whole career. There have been many players that excel in the lower leagues and just can't make it in the bigs. I really hope his fans are right and this won't be him. So far, not so good. At least they didn't hang him out there in the lead-off spot.

Speaking of which, is it time to drop JP back in the order? He's in a bit of a hole these days and hasn't really been worthy of it.

How people respond to adversity tells you a lot about him. He is young so I’m not all that worried. I remember when Felix’s career began to decline, he did not respond well. He was a guy who had always had success. Ever since he was a kid he was probably the best player when he took the field. He just didn’t seem like he was willing to learn or switch it up.

Big game today, would be nice to take the series from Oakland.

I haven’t followed the Mariners very closely but I’m very surprised by their record. On paper this team is not good. If you told me at the beginning of the season that we would lose Paxton and Lewis, Kelenic would come up and hit .100, and Marco would be awful, I would have told you we would be no where near the record we have now.

The team has a nice lunch pale feel to them. They are small name guys who are hungry. Ton of credit to the pitching staff, not sure where we’d be without them.

Latest posts