The 49ers Really Botched The QB Spot This Year

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":2cdx1o2m said:
chris98251":2cdx1o2m said:
Washington49er":2cdx1o2m said:
chris98251":2cdx1o2m said:
Spoken like a true denier, we don't want you to count because we have not been able to own you. Pity we are not the Falcons, Panthers, Saints that you were so used to beating up on for those Championship runs much like the Patriots did in their division. The reshuffle with us and the Cards to the NFC West really changed the field of play for you.

Whatever gets you through the day Mr 1-2

Yeah, how was the playoffs last year, or umm year before, or..............

You all say our SB trophys are old history but none of them were before the Hawks came to the NFL.

If the Hawks are so dominant then why only one SB in that same time period? You had the chance in the AFC and NFC.

Yeah, we were an expansion team and still competed, but you had 40 years on us and a head start, forgot about that huh.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2qixv1qs said:
Marvin49":2qixv1qs said:
Grahamhawker":2qixv1qs said:
What a mess. In a vacuum even, history shows- what ~50% of the first round QBs will bust- so not really a surprise if it happens. Thing is the way it's playing out could hurt the franchise for years.

Like...um...what?

Please expand on that thought?

They have a young QB with potential off the charts that expectedly has been up and down in preseason. They have a vet QB who QBed the team to a SB appearance ahead of him so the rookie doesn't need to be forced onto the field.

So...what exactly is "playing out" that could hurt the franchise?

Just hilarious how badly peeps here WANT Lance to be a bust that they ignore all info otherwise. I mean I get it...its a Seahawks fan site and Lance booming would be bad...but the reach is really funny to me.

Can't wait to hear this...

If you give up that much to get your guy, he darn well better work out is all I'm saying; and often they don't. Meanwhile still paying JG more than many think he's worth. Hey, it may all work out great, but let's not pretend it couldn't go south.

I've been saying since the day of the trade that this was a huge risk. Nothing has changed in that regard. If this doesn't work, no question there will be hell to pay. To be clear on that, when I say "doesn't work", I don't mean the short term. I mean long term, as in Trey never becomes a good to great starting QB in the NFL.

The only thing I took issue with was the assertion that its already turning toward not working out, and I don't think that's even close to true.

Could it eventually? Absolutely. Right now though I personally like what I'm seeing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":3qd8eab2 said:
I think if you can look at the nfc west and realistically any of the teams has a chance of winning it this year. And yes that includes the 49ers for the simple fact that Boss AND Dee Ford are back. Everyone thought Dee Ford was done with his back injury last year. Our defence is going to keep us in games even if our offence is middle of the road.

Interesting watching this last preseason game. Lance and Garoppolo were almost alternating plays for the first quarter and a half. Not sure if Shanahan is actually going to do that or if he is just messing with Detroit ? We saw Tayson hill come in for a few plays in NO, but I don’t remember seeing alternation liike that. Not sure if I like it, but it will be interesting to watch if they do it.

Did you like the alternation Marvin?

I liked it alot. :)

At this point, its clear that Lance is still a bit too green to start full time. He has some BIG wow plays and then some plays what you'd expect from a rookie. His first pass that he skipped and the quick slant to Jennings that he airmailed were really bad throws.

I like this because it gets him that experience and still takes advantage of what he brings.

He had a few nice throws yesterday, a few flat misses, and again...a few drops (that's getting frustrating...10 dropped passes this preseason). Some would say its because he's throwing too hard, and there is some truth to that, but the three in this game didn't appear to be that. The first drop by Hurd was excusable as it looks like the DB changed flight of the ball. The Jennings would-be TD was inexcusable as was Hurds second drop.

What I really liked though was the way the D had to respond to him on run plays. There were a few times there where the DE had to respect the QB in the run game and it broke a hole wide open for Mostert or Sermon.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Marvin49":3eyvb6rw said:
94Smith":3eyvb6rw said:
I think if you can look at the nfc west and realistically any of the teams has a chance of winning it this year. And yes that includes the 49ers for the simple fact that Boss AND Dee Ford are back. Everyone thought Dee Ford was done with his back injury last year. Our defence is going to keep us in games even if our offence is middle of the road.

Interesting watching this last preseason game. Lance and Garoppolo were almost alternating plays for the first quarter and a half. Not sure if Shanahan is actually going to do that or if he is just messing with Detroit ? We saw Tayson hill come in for a few plays in NO, but I don’t remember seeing alternation liike that. Not sure if I like it, but it will be interesting to watch if they do it.

Did you like the alternation Marvin?

I liked it alot. :)

At this point, its clear that Lance is still a bit too green to start full time. He has some BIG wow plays and then some plays what you'd expect from a rookie. His first pass that he skipped and the quick slant to Jennings that he airmailed were really bad throws.

I like this because it gets him that experience and still takes advantage of what he brings.

He had a few nice throws yesterday, a few flat misses, and again...a few drops (that's getting frustrating...10 dropped passes this preseason). Some would say its because he's throwing too hard, and there is some truth to that, but the three in this game didn't appear to be that. The first drop by Hurd was excusable as it looks like the DB changed flight of the ball. The Jennings would-be TD was inexcusable as was Hurds second drop.

What I really liked though was the way the D had to respond to him on run plays. There were a few times there where the DE had to respect the QB in the run game and it broke a hole wide open for Mostert or Sermon.

Yeah he's too green to start. But the two-qb rotation would be interesting if that continues into the regular season.

toffee

Reaction score
Marvin49":2g53r6e8 said:
Grahamhawker":2g53r6e8 said:
Marvin49":2g53r6e8 said:
Grahamhawker":2g53r6e8 said:
What a mess. In a vacuum even, history shows- what ~50% of the first round QBs will bust- so not really a surprise if it happens. Thing is the way it's playing out could hurt the franchise for years.

Like...um...what?

They have a young QB with potential off the charts that expectedly has been up and down in preseason. They have a vet QB who QBed the team to a SB appearance ahead of him so the rookie doesn't need to be forced onto the field.

Just hilarious how badly peeps here WANT Lance to be a bust that they ignore all info otherwise. I mean I get it...its a Seahawks fan site and Lance booming would be bad...but the reach is really funny to me.

If you give up that much to get your guy, he darn well better work out is all I'm saying; and often they don't. Meanwhile still paying JG more than many think he's worth. Hey, it may all work out great, but let's not pretend it couldn't go south.

I've been saying since the day of the trade that this was a huge risk. Nothing has changed in that regard. If this doesn't work, no question there will be hell to pay. To be clear on that, when I say "doesn't work", I don't mean the short term. I mean long term, as in Trey never becomes a good to great starting QB in the NFL.

The only thing I took issue with was the assertion that its already turning toward not working out, and I don't think that's even close to true.

Could it eventually? Absolutely. Right now though I personally like what I'm seeing.
Have you run that by folks on webzone?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Washington49er":eenkm57f said:
chris98251":eenkm57f said:
Washington49er":eenkm57f said:
knownone":eenkm57f said:
Let's be real here. You're 13-25 against us since we joined the NFC West. We're not rivals. And if you need to make note of the fact that I think your fans overrate your talent, that speaks to your lack of knowledge of the fan base, some of whom insist they are a legit SB contender with Jimmy G.

9ers have been to the SB with Jimmy, why would I think they can't again.

Sorry if I'm not going along with your 9ers are doomed theories.

Never considered Hawks true rivals, its always been 9ers and Rams rivalry.

Spoken like a true denier, we don't want you to count because we have not been able to own you. Pity we are not the Falcons, Panthers, Saints that you were so used to beating up on for those Championship runs much like the Patriots did in their division. The reshuffle with us and the Cards to the NFC West really changed the field of play for you.

Ouch! He has us there! We're only 1 - 2 in the Preseason, so we're obviously doomed! Doomed! Doomed!

[youtube]NmZRDUO1wGQ[/youtube]

Washington49er

Reaction score
ivotuk":3sr48taz said:
Washington49er":3sr48taz said:
chris98251":3sr48taz said:
Washington49er":3sr48taz said:
9ers have been to the SB with Jimmy, why would I think they can't again.

Sorry if I'm not going along with your 9ers are doomed theories.

Never considered Hawks true rivals, its always been 9ers and Rams rivalry.

Ouch! He has us there! We're only 1 - 2 in the Preseason, so we're obviously doomed! Doomed! Doomed!

[youtube]NmZRDUO1wGQ[/youtube]

Nothing gets by you

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":1yg1lcez said:
Marvin49":1yg1lcez said:
Grahamhawker":1yg1lcez said:
Marvin49":1yg1lcez said:
Like...um...what?

Have you run that by folks on webzone?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

1) No.
2) Why would it matter? My opinion is my own.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Cam stuff aside, so far Mac Jones looks to be NFL-ready. Makes quick reads, good decisions and fairly accurate.

While Trey Lance may still have a higher ceiling, so far Mac Jones is clearly ahead of him. :snack:

knownone

Reaction score
I've been listening to a little bit of Bay Area sports radio/podcasts to see how my alma mater is preparing for the CFB season. And with limited exposure, it seems like some in the media are turning on Shanahan. One of the hosts referred to him as "petulant and immature." Is this a new thing? Or what?

toffee

Reaction score
Do you guys think 9ers' HC and GM can keep their jobs if the Trey Lance experiment failed?

toffee

Reaction score
Do you guys think 9ers' HC and GM can keep their jobs if the Trey Lance experiment failed?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
94Smith":2rtfq5o4 said:
Tannehill, Palmer, Alex Smith, Cutler, and Flacco had decent careers. RGIII, Goff, and Wentz all had stellar years

You would build your franchise around those guys? We're talking Franchise QBs, not just merely good QBs.

Maulbert":2rtfq5o4 said:
I wouldn't call Pennington a bust, he actually played really well for the Jets.

You would build your franchise around Chad Pennington? We're talking Franchise QBs, not just merely good QBs.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
And so it begins…

There are rumblings in the bay area and people are starting to question, why use THREE 1sts and 3rd for a project QB, when they could've stood pat at 12 and selected Mac Jones or Justin Fields who can start right now?

[youtube]taRXKHSSpB0[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AtienzaWalter/status/1432818291630739459[/tweet]

Walter Atienza's tweet hits the nail on the head.

This is going to be a fun year.

And it gets more interesting… The Dolphins can turn around and use some of the acquired picks they got from the Niners to get Deshaun Watson. The Niners get Lance, the Dolphins get Watson? Seems fair. :D

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
toffee":1pm26dc7 said:

I would love more 49ers fans takes on this, but my opinion for how this will play out if it goes south is…

Kyle will blame the front office, saying he wanted Mac Jones all along and he had to be talked into Lance.

John Lynch will then be the scapegoat and fired.

Kyle will trade for a veteran QB, and he will have to make the playoffs to save his job or he too will be fired the following season.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Fade":1f1gu3kl said:
94Smith":1f1gu3kl said:
Tannehill, Palmer, Alex Smith, Cutler, and Flacco had decent careers. RGIII, Goff, and Wentz all had stellar years

You would build your franchise around those guys? We're talking Franchise QBs, not just merely good QBs.

Maulbert":1f1gu3kl said:
I wouldn't call Pennington a bust, he actually played really well for the Jets.

You would build your franchise around Chad Pennington? We're talking Franchise QBs, not just merely good QBs.

You said they were busts, not that you wouldn't build a team around them. You're moving the goal posts.

94Smith

Reaction score
As I said before, both Lynch and Shanahan are safe if this experiment fails. They have both shown they can win and work with a team even with an average QB. They are both beloved by the media and the fan base.

The plan was never to start Lance the whole way , that’s why they kept Jimmy and have been easing Lance along . This is a long term plan rather than a throw him in there and watch his confidence erode. He was never the going to be the plug and play starter. That was Mac Jones . But Mac Jones ceiling is what, Kirk cousins? What is lances ceiling ? It could be really high , but he could crash and burn and be a total bust too . That’s why you have to take things slow with him ,

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":178ep1ul said:
As I said before, both Lynch and Shanahan are safe if this experiment fails. They have both shown they can win and work with a team even with an average QB. They are both beloved by the media and the fan base.

The plan was never to start Lance the whole way , that’s why they kept Jimmy and have been easing Lance along . This is a long term plan rather than a throw him in there and watch his confidence erode. He was never the going to be the plug and play starter. That was Mac Jones . But Mac Jones ceiling is what, Kirk cousins? What is lances ceiling ? It could be really high , but he could crash and burn and be a total bust too . That’s why you have to take things slow with him ,

You're downplaying Mac Jones ceiling to justify the 49ers passing on him. Cousins was a 4th rounder, and incapable of elevating his team, no matter his volume passing. He's closer to Jimmy G than Mac Jones.

As for Lynch and Shanahan showing they can win with an average QB, bullshit. They can win in the regular season with an average QB when he has a great running game and defense to back him up, which has only happened 1 time 4 seasons. Without those, they can't even manage 7 wins. Also, Jimmy G, an average QB much like Cousins, showed himself incapable of lifting his team when they needed it, or need I remind you how BADLY his throw missed Deebo Samuel in the clutch?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Weird thread.

There was no guarantee that Mac Jones falls to the Niners pick when they made that trade.

They needed to do something and trading up made sense.

Whether Lance works out or not is another issue, but the Rams made the Super Bowl with Goff. That's a pretty low bar for Lance to hit and the trade was similar.

94Smith

Reaction score
Part of Grant Cohn’s argument is that if you pick a qb 3rd overall he has to start . Has there ever been a team picking in the top 3 , that had legitimate deep playoff possibilities , that picked a qb ? Usually if they are there due to trades or injuries , etc they are selecting other positions. This is a new event. Why does he have to start ? I don’t get that part