The Hawkstorian's All-Time Numeric Roster

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1ihcf457 said:
I thought Doug Baldwin played at #15 for one year at 2011, then switched to let Matt Flynn have that number?

True. However, I'm only listing each player once on the list so Baldwin is #89 for this project.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FirstLastCollegePosYearsGamesStarts
JimZornCal Poly-PomonaQB1976-1984131100
DanMcGwireSan Diego StateQB1991-1994125
JeffFeaglesMiamiP1998-2002810
OlindoMareSyracuseK2008-2010500

I had a chance to ask Jim Zorn once when he knew he would be the starting QB for the Seahawks. His answer: MARCH. The fledgling Seahawks held a tryout camp for QBs, and Zorn was there with a bunch other free agents and he said he could tell that day he'd be the guy. As I said in #15, it really took about halfway through the first pre-season game for it to be evident to the rest of the world what Zorn had known in his heart for months.

Jim Zorn put Seattle football on the map. If you're going to be new and young and lose, you can at least be exciting. Zorn was probably not a great thrower, but he had that same quaity our current QB has, which is to extend plays and probably throw better on the run than even standing in the pocket. He was also just plain fast. When he took off it wasn't unusual to see him run away from defensive backs. He still sits 10th on the Seahawks all-time rushing list (Wilson will pass him in a year or two).

Better than Zorn the player was Zorn the true image of early Seahawk football. Free-wheeling, no holds barred and fun to watch.

130802-zorn-600.jpg

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawksfan515":ib4vigyx said:
I thought Doug Baldwin played at #15 for one year at 2011, then switched to let Matt Flynn have that number?
Yes, IMO, Doug Baldwin, who had a breakout rookie year as #15, should be the MVP. Blades took 89 and I thought the idea was who was the best to wear the number.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3c8exra8 said:
Dave Krieg was a much needed boost over Zorny at qb..I loved watching the guy when he was on because he looked like the best qb in the NFL..He was streaky however and if you saw him fumble it usually meant his game was in the toilet..That said he was a pro bowler,a playoff winner and deserves to be in the ring of honor..I believe it was him who led the Lions to their last playoff win..If I remember..
It wasn't the Lions. Their last playoff win was Jan 5, 1992 against Dallas and Eric Kramer was the winning QB. It must've been another team you are thinking of.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian -"Zorn was probably not a great thrower"..He wasn't..Never completed 60% of his passes..Never more than 20 td passes..3600 yards was highest passing year..141/111 int/td ratio..I think we kept him way too long but yeah he was the 1st Hawk qb and he wasn't the worst they had..Sure he wins the #10 seeing that small group..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":vg6j060e said:
IndyHawk":vg6j060e said:
Dave Krieg was a much needed boost over Zorny at qb..I loved watching the guy when he was on because he looked like the best qb in the NFL..He was streaky however and if you saw him fumble it usually meant his game was in the toilet..That said he was a pro bowler,a playoff winner and deserves to be in the ring of honor..I believe it was him who led the Lions to their last playoff win..If I remember..
It wasn't the Lions. Their last playoff win was Jan 5, 1992 against Dallas and Eric Kramer was the winning QB. It must've been another team you are thinking of.
Yeah it was the 94 Lions..He led them to the wildcard..They lost barely to Green Bay..

JMR

Reaction score
IndyHawk":37ofg9c4 said:
Hawkstorian -"Zorn was probably not a great thrower"..He wasn't..Never completed 60% of his passes..Never more than 20 td passes..3600 yards was highest passing year..141/111 int/td ratio..I think we kept him way too long but yeah he was the 1st Hawk qb and he wasn't the worst they had..Sure he wins the #10 seeing that small group..
Well, you have to give consideration to the era. By today's passing standards, of course those #s aren't good. But judging a guy who played 40 years ago by today's stats is mostly pointless. Joe Namath had nearly 50 more INTs than TDs for his career, and a career 50.1 comp %. Bradshaw has 4 SB rings and 2 more TDs than INTs for his career....and a career completion rate of 51%. Both in the HOF.

Zorn was a good player. Not an elite guy but he was a solid starting QB who was fun to watch and helped get this franchise off the ground and into an era of multiple playoff appearances in the 80s.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
NormJohnsonUCLAK1982-19901400
RianLindellWashington StateK2000-2002440
DonnieJonesLouisiana StateP200460
JonRyanReginaP2008-20131020

The only number between 1 and 19 without a QB, so pay attention folks to the legends of the kickers and punters. All 4 of these guys had long and productive NFL careers, only two of them in Seattle.

Norm Johnson went to the pro bowl in 1984, but if you compare his numbers by today's standards it sure seems like he missed a lot of kicks. His FG% was less than 70%. He missed 1 of 5 kicks from 30-39 yards and 1 of 10 from 20-29. His missed XP in the 1987 playoff game at Cincinatti left the team down 2 scores instead of 1, negating the comeback atttempt. Still, he's the top scorer in team history and went on to play another 9 years with 3 other teams.

Rian Lindell and Donnie Jones were both still in the league in 2013, although Lindell is currently a free agent.

Jon Ryan is the only NFL player in history from the University of Regina, which is in Saskatchewan, Canada. Regina is one of 6 football teams in the Canada West Universities Athletic Association (CWUUA), which is part of Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) which has 27 teams country-wide that play football by a set of rules that is much closer to the Canadian Football League than our NFL rules. CIS has 54 total athletic programs, so only half currently play football.

Anyway, Jon Ryan has been rock-solid as our punter, so I'm picking him ahead of the man who scored more points than Shaun Alexander. I doubt many will disagree.

159703750-e1388162829665.jpg

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
JeffWestCincinnatiP1981-1985630
SeanSalisburySouthern CalQB198610
MattLytlePittsburghQB200010
MattHasselbeckBoston CollegeQB2001-2010149142

Jeff West held down the punting job for 4 years. He was better known for placement than power. He was near the bottom of the league in punting average most years. I looked around for net average for those years but didn't find anything.

Matt Hasselbeck had a rough start to his Seahawk career, but by the end of 2002 he had his rhythm down and went on to have what is the best career by a Seahawk QB to date. He also was probably the most engaging "face of the franchise" we've ever had. I love Russell Wilson, but I sometimes wish he'd let his guard down a little. Hass and Russ share, I think, many of the same qualities of leadership and character. I hope over time Russ is just able to add that little bit of humor and affability that made Hass so much fun to have in Seattle. Of course, Russ leads Hass in the one measure that counts the most; 1 - 0.

2004090967.jpg

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Jeff West!!! That guy really sucked! Has to have set an NFL record for most punts from the 20 yard line and back to never make it to the opponents side of the field.

Add in Kriegs backward passes, and ability to get sacked taking us out of field goal range used to drive my old man bonkers.

Well, that and the Jameson's irish

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
GaleGilbertCaliforniaQB1985-1986252
JeffGrahamLong Beach StateQB1992-199400
JonKitnaCentral WashingtonQB1996-20004034
BrandonCoutuGeorgiaK200800
J.P.LosmanTulaneQB201000
ZacRobinsonOklahoma StateQB201000
RyanLongwellCaliforniaK201210
TarvarisJacksonAlabama StateQB2011,20131914

The Seahawk's were always trying to replace Dave Krieg. Some of it was justified, like trying to get Warren Moon, and some of it was asinine, like benching him for Gale Gilbert mid-way through the 1986 season. Gilbert started 2 games before Krieg came back and led the team on a 5 game winning streak to end the season, the only time the Seahawks ever won 10 games and missed the playoffs.

I've heard people say that the Seahawks cut Michael Bennett so they could keep Brandon Coutu on the roster all year, but Bennett was cut in 2009, and Coutu was first here in 2008.

Tarvaris Jackson started most of the 2011 season, and earned the respect of most fans with his toughness. I think he played better than people want to give him credit for. The dude got sacked 42 times that year.

Jon Kitna went from un-drafted to the practice squad to leading the Seahawks to the playoffs in a very short stretch. Unfortunately, Mike Holmgren decided soon thereafter that Kitna was not the long-term answer. I remember a radio-interview on the eve of the 2000 (with Kitna the starter) where Holmgren was asked what the team needed to do to improve and he immediately called out the QB position. Clearly something was amiss, and a few weeks later Kitna was benched for an un-prepared Brock Huard. Kitna went on to have a long career with Cincy, Detroit and Dallas -- mostly as a backup -- but he did throw for 29,745 career yards -29,056 more than Huard.

Hi res 647401 display image

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FrankGarciaArizonaP198110
CharlieWhitehurstClemsonQB2010-201194

Jeff West broke his ankle in the 2nd to last game in 1981, so the Seahawks brought in Frank Garcia to punt in the season finale. Fortunately the Seahawks put up 42 points so Garcia only had to punt twice. Garcia was the only player to wear #6 for the Seahawks until they traded for a backup quarterback from San Diego.

Charlie Whitehurst will never quite qualify for the Mount Rushmore of Seahawk quarterbacks .. but he did win the game to get the Seahawks into the 2010 playoffs and the beastquake game.

WhitehurstNewYorkGiantsvSeattle4hYkYbVDyz9l

JMR

Reaction score
I really like Jon Ryan, but I think I go with Norm Johnson at 9.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
JMR":trg28eyd said:
I really like Jon Ryan, but I think I go with Norm Johnson at 9.

I fully expected to pick Johnson, but the more I looked at his career........

Happy

Reaction score
Kitna was an everyman - classic will over skill guy. Holmy kinda did him dirty. I like Holmgren and all, but what was that all about?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Happy":3gvrfv2i said:
Kitna was an everyman - classic will over skill guy. Holmy kinda did him dirty. I like Holmgren and all, but what was that all about?

Kitna just wasn't anything to write home about. Sure, he could put up numbers in a pass-friendly system, but he wasn't ever going to be the guy to spark a team and be a game-changer. I think Holmgren - coming from Green Bay where he had Favre - wanted more out of the position, even if he had to assume greater risk in doing so.

253hawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":u75osp81 said:
Norm Johnson went to the pro bowl in 1984, but if you compare his numbers by today's standards it sure seems like he missed a lot of kicks. His FG% was less than 70%. He missed 1 of 5 kicks from 30-39 yards and 1 of 10 from 20-29. His missed XP in the 1987 playoff game at Cincinatti left the team down 2 scores instead of 1, negating the comeback atttempt. Still, he's the top scorer in team history and went on to play another 9 years with 3 other teams.

The average % by 1990 was between 65~70%, so I'd say Norm was perfectly average in terms of league-wide numbers.

UUBQ7pG

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Cool graphic.

Johnson was probably about average for his time. I still think Ryan is above average for his time.

Latest posts