OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FirstLastCollegePosYearsGamesStarts
EfrenHerreraNoneK1978-1981600
WarrenMoonWashingtonQB1997-19982524
RyanPlackemeierWake ForestP2006-2008370

My 16 year old son has become a great Seahawk fan like his dad and his dad's dad. Looking at this project, he asked me "Is Ryan Plackemeier the best #1 in Seahawk history?"

Sounds like a pretty silly question, but he's 16 years old. In his memory's eye when he sees a Seahawk player wearing number 1 he sees a mediocre punter from a few years ago. His fandom, like everyone's, is formed through his own experiences, and that's just how it should be. He knows Matt Hasselbeck and now Russell Wilson, but he only knows Jim Zorn, Dave Krieg and Warren Moon through the stories we tell.

I'm very fortunate. I was 9 years old when the Seahawks played their first ever game. My memories of those early years are that of a child. I remember certain images and emotions, but mostly I remember the exciting moments where my dad and my brothers would scream and I'd say "what?!!". I remember Jim Zorn running around. I remember "Got Milk". And I definitely remember Efren Herrera catching a pass on Monday Night Football.

By the time Easley and Green and Warner were around, I was old enough to comprehend all the components that went into the team. I wrote down my first roster in the summer of 1983, when I too was 16. It was on notebook paper, with color codes based on how the player was acquired.

We hear a lot about the "business" of football. One of the important themes of this whole project is the long list of players who's careers were cut way too short due to injuries. This work is ultimately dedicated to them. Steve Niehaus and Ken Easley and Nate Odomes and Fred Vinson and Dustin Johnson. All guys who gave everything they had but the nature of the game ultimately kept them off the field. Older players get cut so younger and cheaper guys can take their place. We get upset when a decent player like Golden Tate, who earned his free agency, leaves for another team. Part of what I hope to accomplish here is to remind you all that every name in Seahawk history made a contribution, big or small, to our collective memories, and it's the memories that form the building blocks of our collective loyalty and fandom to our Seattle Seahawks.

All that's left to end this project is to name my final MVP. Herrera was one of the best kickers of his era, but bad knees cut his career short. I met him at the game where he raised the 12th man flag and I asked him if he could still kick one, and he basically said his knees were shot. He is, of course, famous for both throwing and catching passes off of fake FGs, usually when the Seahawks were on the national stage.

My heart says Efren, but really Moon gets it based on his tremendous 1997 season, where he set the team's single-season passing record. His 3678 passing yards still sits as the 3rd highest passing total in team history, having only been surpassed by Matt Hasselbeck in 2003 and 2007. When Moon left the CFL in 1984, the Seahawks were only slightly out-bit by the Houston Oilers. We can only imagine what the next 15 years would have been like.

130831-moon-otd-600.jpg

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread, corrected my errors, and chimed in your opinions. It's good to be a Seahawk fan, and not just because we're the World Champs.

GO HAWKS!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It was also very educational for those of us who haven't been with the team since its inception.

Thanks, Storian!

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Just an incredible thread. Lots of trips down memory lane.
Cudo's to Hawkstorian for doing this. Absolutely wonderful thread!!!

drdiags

Reaction score
Thanks John! A great history lesson for the fans, young and old, allowing them to walk down memory lane or to catch up on how the history of the team evolved. I remember sitting through every Seahawks draft starting with Manu. My zeal waned a little during the Behring years but I can remember doing the whole arm-chair GM thing over the years.

I remember hating the Stouffer trade, thinking about how Boz and his agent were playing the Seahawks. On and on. Good times. Definitely expect this fine thread to end up in the archives. Once again, appreciate the due diligence in putting this together along with the love and care required to want to put it together.

I tip my cap to you. Well done!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your hard work. This thread was amazing.

If this doesn't end up in the archives permanently, there is something wrong with this forum.

SeahawksRawk

Reaction score
Great read, brings back so many memories!

Well done sir what a master piece.
:thirishdrinkers:

Just a side note, I may be wrong but Percy started in SB48 did he not? or are you not including postseason starts/games played

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this thread Hawkstorian!! It was quite the walk down memory lane for me. Being a club 37 member, we have been through so many highs and lows with this team and this thread was a great reminder of it. I am so excited for the future of this team even though we set a very HIGH bar to beat. It puts such a smile on my face.

The last number is a perfect example of that. Warren Moon is obviously the choice but my memories will always get a smile with Herrera. Who could EVER forget that Monday night game? Zorn to Herrera had my whole family jumping and screaming in our family room. It was one of those moments that made me fall in love with the Seahawks.
Speaking of Moon, his becoming a statesman of the franchise is something that I love plus his squeals and squawks with Raible's game calls are classic and entertaining.

byau

Reaction score
Still loving this thread. All the memories. All the photos. Re-living Zorn-Largent and Krieg-Largent all the way up to BeastQuake. And of course wondering how much the current SB winners would influence the decisions (like Percy - "Is it fair to give a MVP to a player for one game? Yes").

This is an amazing thread. Love it. Love it. Love it. Thanks for all the work you've put into it!

Kaiser

Reaction score
Binge reading this thread makes me feel like neo in the matrix, when he had martial arts knowledge forced into his brain. This has got to be one of the most valuable resources to learn about the team. Thank you for doing it.

Happy

Reaction score
Terrific thread hawstorian, thank you so much.

No worries about this being archived. That's as good as done once folks are finished commenting.

I'm thinking it would be good to make a copy and strip all the replies out. All killer, no filler.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hate to see this tme to an end. Its been a fun ride and reminded me of players I had long forgot.

Tundra

Reaction score
Your thoughts and hard work should be considered a masterpiece. I personally thank for this thread. Enough said.

Happy

Reaction score
Here's the Archived version of the thread with about 400 posts removed:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=92534

If you guys want me to save a version with the commentary and replies as well let me know.

-s

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
That's very awesome to have the 'pure' thread. I think it would be great to have both version in the archive since the comments helped make the thread much more interesting. My suggestion is keep the main thread here through the draft and then move it to archive.

Thanks Mr. Happy.

byau

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":149trls9 said:
That's very awesome to have the 'pure' thread. I think it would be great to have both version in the archive since the comments helped make the thread much more interesting. My suggestion is keep the main thread here through the draft and then move it to archive.

Thanks Mr. Happy.

Agreed, love the pure thread, love to see the comment thread too - if anything for the vids and gifs and pics others posted (seeing the Largent > Harden hit!!)

And the debate too.

Thanks again Hawkstorian! (Maybe you should publish it as a book!!!)

Escamillo

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1mew75il said:
hawksfan515":1mew75il said:
I thought Doug Baldwin played at #15 for one year at 2011, then switched to let Matt Flynn have that number?

True. However, I'm only listing each player once on the list so Baldwin is #89 for this project.

Too bad for ADB, because if you look at his stats for the year he wore #15, he'd easily beat out the other #15s. 8)
But now he can't make this list until he surpasses Brian Blades. :cry:

TestMo1337

Reaction score
What an amazing thread. One for the ages!

I would love to see just the Top-100 and see how it evolves with no outside comments, just your input. That's what makes this list so amazing.

Thanks for keeping me entertained in this awful thing called "not football season."

Latest posts