JimmyColquittTennesseeP198520
RubenRodriguezArizonaP1987-1989460
AlexWaitsTexasP199130
KyleRichardsonArkansas StateP199720
TravisBrownNorthern ArizonaQB200010
GibranHamdanIndianaQB200600
CharlieFryeAkronQB2007-200821
B.J.DanielsSouth FloridaQB201300

In the 3rd round of the 1976 draft the Seahawks selected both a kicker and a punter. It seems kind of a waste by today's draft logic, but I can get the idea that if you have that many extra draft picks, it makes sense to try to draft the best special teams you can, which would be of big help for an expansion team. The real problem is that kicker only lasted 3 games, and Rick Engles, the punter, was cut after 1 year and 1 game.

B.J. Daniels was the 3rd QB for 6 weeks in 2013. He was even activated for a game but didn't play. He's now the 4th QB on the off-season roster so his odds of sticking around appear to be long.

I've given the MVP to two QBs so far who managed to win 1 game in their brief Seahawk careers. Unfortunately, Charlie Frye was 12 for 23 with only 83 yards and 2 picks in a loss to Green Bay. He did, however throw a TD pass to Keary Colbert, something no other Seahawk QB ever did.

Therefore, the award goes to Ruben Rodriguez, the Ryan Plackemeier of his time.

00f64e0955ab20aea3000a960cfd60767f006d11.jpg

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FirstLastCollegePosYearsGamesStarts
DonBitterlichTempleK197630
JohnKasayGeorgiaK1991-1994640
KrisHeppnerMontanaK200040
TrentDilferFresno StateQB2001-20042312
StevenHauschkaNorth Carolina StateK2011-2013520

Don Bitterlich was first kicker in Seahawk history. He was drafted in the 3rd round but was cut after week 3 when he missed 3 FGs in a loss to San Francisco. His music career lasted much longer than his NFL career. http://www.suburbanonesports.com/alumni/content/bitterlich-kicks-his-way-record-books

In 2001 the Seahawks traded for Matt Hasselbeck in March and declared him the starting QB. In training camp, however, the Seahawks added Trent Dilfer, who was un-signed despite coming of a Super Bowl win with the Baltimore Ravens. When Hass struggled to start the season, Dilfer came in and out-played Hass, earning a new contract in 2002 and was declared the starter. Were you on Seahawks.Net during this time? Do you remember what your feelings were when Coach Holmgren named Dilfer the starter? I was pretty happy about it, myself.

Dilfer opened 2002 as the starter but ruptured his Achilles week 7 vs. Dallas, the same day Emmitt Smith broke the all-time rushing record. Hasselbeck came back and played well enough to keep the starting job for the next 8 years.

A couple of pretty good kickers in contention for the MVP at #4. John Kasay started his long career in Seattle. I'm going with Steven Hauschka, however, who has been one of the best kickers in the NFL over the last few seasons.

121004-hauschka-480.jpg

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I'd probably go Dilfer > Hauschka just because QBs are 100 billion times more valuable than kickers, but I understand the selection.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3lnxrmvh said:
CaptBennett":3lnxrmvh said:
Hmmm? #3? Can't be Russell Wilson...

It's either Russ or Rick Mirer.

Or maybe Josh Brown.

Shall we vote?

Automatic win for whichever one slept with Carrie Underwood.

Oh, none of them did? Sorry Josh. Probably better just go with Russell.

Sac

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":352h79ys said:
I'd probably go Dilfer > Hauschka just because QBs are 100 billion times more valuable than kickers, but I understand the selection.

Kickers score more points than quarterbacks.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I used to spend a lot of time at training camp when it was in Cheney. Damn I miss those days. Anyway, I remember when Dilfer was named the starter over Hass. I was standing along the fence a while after practice as Hass was walking by himself. He came up to me and asked if I wanted an autograph. I remember thinking "why would I want your autograph? You will most likely be on this side of the fence soon". When he asked, I just shook my head no. Kinf of felt a little bad about it at the time. Feel even worse now.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
JohnLeypoldtNoneK1976-1978260
VinceWagnerNortheasternK198100
RickDonnellyWyomingP1990-1991190
RickMirerNotre DameQB1993-19965551
RohnStarkFlorida StateP199740
JeffGeorgeIllinoisQB200200
JoshBrownNebraskaK2003-2007890
JeffRoweNevadaQB200800
RussellWilsonWisconsinQB2012-20133737

John Leypoldt took over kicking duties week 4 in the 1976 season and was replaced by Efren Herrera in 1978. Herrera was hurt the last game in '78 so Leypoldt came back and kicked in one last game.

I'll never understand the Seahawk career of Rick Mirer. He started all 16 games as a rookie, and threw for 2800 yards. He had a bunch of interceptions and got sacked way too much, but I think we all assumed he'd improve in 1994. Instead he got worse. In '94 his picks were down but so was his completion % and yardage. In '95 he was basically terrible, but we still held out faint hope that he'd get better. By '96 he was benched for John Friesz. How Randy Mueller convinced Chicago to give up a 1st round pick for Mirer I'll never get.

Josh Brown is probably still my favorite kicker ever because he never accepted the idea that a kicker was somehow less of a football player. The guy loved to make tackles on special teams, and he had some big game winners over the years .. most notably the time we were all at Aros' house and I accidentally hit the pause button on the DVR just before he kicked happened.

It's difficult to imagine that just two short years ago we all thought our starting QB would be Matt Flynn. Russell Wilson has taken over the team, become its unquestioned leader, and won the Super Bowl over perhaps the greatest QB of our generation.

And the best is still yet to come.

00 USP NFL San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2zkiwd7l said:
It's difficult to imagine that just two short years ago we all thought our starting QB would be Matt Flynn.

As long as you limit the timeframe to the March 19 - April 26 period of 2012, I agree completely. After April 27th, I think there was definitely a small but vocal minority who thought there was a better option. :mrgreen:

drdiags

Reaction score
Man, Ruben Rodriguez was terrible. I vaguely remember that 3 yd punt he had. I think it was at the Kingdome but he wasn't on the team much longer as Knox had his patience run out with Ruben.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2lf0aaok said:
I can't believe this is coming close to an end. This thread has been a masterpiece.
Thanks, my friend. It's nice to be considered in the same class as Picasso.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
drdiags":2wzz7dhp said:
Man, Ruben Rodriguez was terrible. I vaguely remember that 3 yd punt he had. I think it was at the Kingdome but he wasn't on the team much longer as Knox had his patience run out with Ruben.

I think he used to live in Pioneer Trails in SE Everett. My buddy used to have him on his paper route.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
WilsonAlvarezSE LouisianaK198140
VinceGamacheCal State-FullertonP1986160
ToddPetersonGeorgiaK1995-1999810
LeoAraguzStephen F. AustinP200540
JoshPortisCalifornia (PA)QB201100

Wilson Alvarez took over kicking duties the last 4 games of the 1981 season when Efren Herrera hurt his knee. Wilson was 3/7 on FG attempts, with all his makes coming from inside 30 yards. Media guides show he was born in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.

Josh Portis switched to #2 after he made the team in 2011 but he never played in a game. This was the first year that the 3rd QB rule was changed, so Portis didn't even get to dress most games. In the past you had your starting QB, a veteran backup, and a rookie 3rd stringer. The days of the 3rd stringer seem to be fading.

Todd Peterson was a very good kicker for his 5 years as a Seahawk. In 1999 he made 85% of his attempts which was in the top-10 in the league. Unfortunately, he was surprise cut at the end of camp in 2000 as the Seahawks were determined to go younger and cheaper. Still one of the better kickers in team history. Peterson and Josh Brown both kicked exactly 5 years for the Seahawks. Brown had more total points but Peterson made 10 more FGs, with a slightly higher %. It kinds of shows the difference in the Seahawk's offense between the late '90s and mid '00s.

490706-oct-1999-todd-peterson-of-the-seattle-seahawks-gettyimages.jpg

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":outtydlv said:
HawkFan72":outtydlv said:
I can't believe this is coming close to an end. This thread has been a masterpiece.
Thanks, my friend. It's nice to be considered in the same class as Picasso.

I like this thread better than any Picasso I've ever seen. :D

Happy

Reaction score
Poor Josh Portis. Couldn't beat out a group of kickers and punters. Kid's a hard luck story walking. Has talent but also a knack for shooting himself in the foot with bad off-field decisions. He might still be a Seahawk today were it not for that DUI arrest last year.