The What's Wrong With Russell Wilson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
the 49ers linebackers are going to eat Russ for dinner if he cant figure it out. One of the things I loved about Russ was just when you think the defense had him dead to rights he would slip out and make a pass or dodge the defender entirely and make something happen. that magic has faded for some reason. That was his bread and butter. Hes not a good scrambler anymore

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Not a good scrambler any more? Did you not see him scramble in the first half against the Saints?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unless he loses on Sunday, I'm not gonna' sit here and worry, whine, complain etc.
I trust he will have a HUGE game on Sunday.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
brimsalabim":94e5wj63 said:
Not a good scrambler any more? Did you not see him scramble in the first half against the Saints?
maybe " not anymore" was too bold of a statement. Definatly not the same results we come to expect of Russell after is previous performances but I still love the guy

Dtowers

Reaction score
He's being asked not to scramble as much and expose himself to hits. You see what they did to Percy? Don't fool yourself they would have done the same to Russ. Probably worse and go at his knees. When he needs to Russ will run. The RO was open all day for Russ against Saints and he didn't take it on purpose.

NFLFan45

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3m83vw1j said:
Anthony!":3m83vw1j said:
smerfy01":3m83vw1j said:
There's a lot going on that i've noticed since Rice went out.

1. Receivers aren't getting separation. We see it on the slants, we see it on the designed bootlegs, we see it on the play action passes for deep plays. Russel holding the ball, looking downfield and either running it back to the line of scrimmage/throwing it away or taking a coverage sack.

2. The playcalling hasn't facilitated getting Russel Wilson into a rhythm. What do I mean by that? How many hot reads do we have? Short passes? Screens? We ran a lot of slot plays on 3rd down today, but we've been lacking in the short-intermediate passing game the last half of the season and defenses have been exploiting this.

3. In the case of this game, we did very little passing except on 3rd down and the occasional 1st or 2nd. Throughout the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, the playcalling gave Wilson no ability to get into a throwing rhythm.

4. We aren't utilizing our Tight Ends in the middle of the field. Miller and Willson are targeted maybe 3 times tops in the game, which allows the secondary to cheat their coverage on our WRs. We're not exploiting the open space in the middle of the field and we haven't all year.

5. We're a run-first offense right now. We have been all season. Sometimes quarterbacks need a game where the team needs them to throw in order to get back into a season rhythm. Wilson hasn't had that since the game against the Bucs probably.

6. Wilson has taken far too many hits this season. He's keeping his hands up on read-option plays, so he gets decked by the spy. Receivers aren't separating so coverage sacks are a problem. We've had offensive line issues all season. He does not feel comfortable in the pocket and I don't blame him.

7. Bevell in this game made very few adjustments to what the Saints defense was giving them in the 3rd quarter. A majority of Wilson's passes were OOB when no one was open, or it was to a slot receiver. No screens, no checkdowns to Lynch in the flat, nothing to keep the Saints secondary honest.

All of these points lead me to believe that there is something wrong scheme-wise with what we are doing in our passing game. It's become very predictable and pedestrian. 3rd down? slot. Play action bootleg? looking for the long ball. TE's are extra blockers and not a threat to coverage most of the game. Our WRs have difficulty separating from DBs. We're not spreading the ball out as much as we should and need to.

We had a balanced attack for about 3 weeks on offense. It involved everyone getting involved. Tate, Baldwin, Miller, Kearse, Rice. Rice gave the other receivers that needed separation because he commanded attention on the field due to his size, speed and athleticism. Harvin gave us that in the 1st half. Without throwing our offensive playbook in the trash, we need that Harvin/Rice level receiver to command some attention and force the secondary to gameplan around that, instead of Tate and Baldwin. They are not, nor will they ever be, #1 receivers. They are utility receivers that are great in space.

So it's an amalgamation of a lot of things that is hampering Wilson's efficiency. At least he's not turning the ball over...

Great post spot on

Spot on sir.

So many question marks with our offense, is 6 days enough to fix all of them? I really don't believe so right now. The defense will have to put up a shutout or at least get a defensive score and or short field for our offense to do much.

Oh I read those threads. I laugh at the "5 rings entitlement" 9er retorts as well. But come on man, that SIG makes no sense. The first thing that goes through someones head when reading that is..."wow it took them until the 80's to get to a super bowl" then I realized the numbers are very similar for the Hawks. So, the whole "it took x years" part of the SIG is what makes no sense. There are better ways to combat the "5 rings" nonsense than with "nonsense"

The problem is that I think whoever created that SIG, didn't realize at the time that the numbers are very very similar. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense as some kind of slam against the organization.

StoneCold

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":1lfnkjnw said:
the 49ers linebackers are going to eat Russ for dinner if he cant figure it out. One of the things I loved about Russ was just when you think the defense had him dead to rights he would slip out and make a pass or dodge the defender entirely and make something happen. that magic has faded for some reason. That was his bread and butter. Hes not a good scrambler anymore

If I were a defensive coach I would see that Russell is most dangerous when he scrambles and I'd scheme to stop that. As others have said, now that there's nearly two years of tape on him defenses are adjusting. Now it's Russell's turn to adjust. I have complete confidence that he will and he will have a great career. There is some question whether he will be able to do it by Sunday. That said what Russell brings as it stands right now is good enough to win. Last Saturdays game was just a few plays on both defense and offense from being a blowout.

Go Hawks.

SC

NFLFan45

Reaction score
StoneCold":38yhqkj4 said:
BleedGreenNblue":38yhqkj4 said:

If I were a defensive coach I would see that Russell is most dangerous when he scrambles and I'd scheme to stop that. As others have said, now that there's nearly two years of tape on him defenses are adjusting. Now it's Russell's turn to adjust. I have complete confidence that he will and he will have a great career. There is some question whether he will be able to do it by Sunday. That said what Russell brings as it stands right now is good enough to win. Last Saturdays game was just a few plays on both defense and offense from being a blowout.

Go Hawks.

SC

Exactly. As a defensive coach, the one thing, ONE THING, that irritates me most is when a QB scrambles around. I don't think people understand how irritating and deflating it is for a Defense to have a QB break the pocket and run. Esp against man when most defenders backs are turned away from the QB. It's maddening and really wears a Defense down.

Scheme to keep him in the pocket. Can he beat you with his arm. Absolutely. But I'd rather die a quick death than one of a million tiny paper cuts which is what it feels like for ANY D coord that has a QB scramble around.

Hawks need to keep Kap in the pocket as well. Although when he scrambles he just takes off and runs whereas Russ looks down field more.

Both D's need to keep both Qb's in the pocket and force them to beat them with their arms.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Largent80":39ntq68q said:
Overanylizing. We just advanced to the title game, anyone notice?

What is wrong?....NOTHING.

Pretty ridiculous to suggest that one should never be critical (or even analytical?) just because the team won the game. Give me a break superfan

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":127kcm3v said:

Defense is playing lights out and thankfully Marshawn had a big running game on Saturday. There will be times/games the defense is not lights out and/or the run game is not there and we will need RW to step up.

Arizona's game is the biggest proof, defense played lights out, running game not there. RW played poorly, we lost...at home. Niner's defense is overall better than Arizona's and their offense is definitely better. RW needs to be able to step up this game when he's called upon, I still believe he can, but I am nervous given the recent games.

Weadoption

Reaction score
if I were Pete or Harbaugh I'd be telling my qb to burn their asses with your feet at every reasonably safe opportunity that presents itself.
This game is for a ring.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
NFLFan45":1undpx2m said:
StoneCold":1undpx2m said:
BleedGreenNblue":1undpx2m said:

Go Hawks.

SC

Exactly. As a defensive coach, the one thing, ONE THING, that irritates me most is when a QB scrambles around. I don't think people understand how irritating and deflating it is for a Defense to have a QB break the pocket and run. Esp against man when most defenders backs are turned away from the QB. It's maddening and really wears a Defense down.

Scheme to keep him in the pocket. Can he beat you with his arm. Absolutely. But I'd rather die a quick death than one of a million tiny paper cuts which is what it feels like for ANY D coord that has a QB scramble around.

Hawks need to keep Kap in the pocket as well. Although when he scrambles he just takes off and runs whereas Russ looks down field more.

Both D's need to keep both Qb's in the pocket and force them to beat them with their arms.

Pretty much don't want anymore of this:

ibpPuesKKX4khR.gif

Watching this makes me feel like that part of Rocky III when Paulie tells Rocky not to listen to the Critics and Apollo is like No Do listen to them...

Largent80

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1wul5lwe said:
Largent80":1wul5lwe said:

Pretty ridiculous to suggest that one should never be critical (or even analytical?) just because the team won the game. Give me a break superfan

You are true to your roots, welcome to my ignore list.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3tkul43w said:
Largent80":3tkul43w said:

No... we've won 14 games this year. I think our team has earned a little bit of faith from the fanbase. The amount of pessimism on this board lately is disturbing and frankly, a 10 page thread about "what's wrong with Russell Wilson" is downright embarassing.

NFLFan45

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":156n4dk5 said:
Largent80":156n4dk5 said:

Yea I mean on a message board and with the game 5 days away people should never really go any deeper in their thoughts of how a team is playing other than "did they win or lose". Every thread should be nothing but a back slapping circle jerk where people talk about how there are no problems at all and how their fav team is literally at no risk of losing (sarcasm off)

Every fan base has the folks that want no part of anything they perceive a negative. Like you said they are "super fans" The Chicago Bears fans ARE the worst offenders of this when that team is doing well (which is why I suspect that Skit was created with the guys as Bears fans in the first place) But every fan base has these guys.

"God vs. Ditka" Who wins?

"Ahhhh Trick Question Ditka is God"

Sounds stupid but there are fans out there with this type of mentality.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3a9q955p said:

LOL, it's a fan's nature to dwell on the negative.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with Russell, other than just pressing and over thinking a little. Too much separation in the preparation, sometimes a QB just needs to get a little Favre in him and just go with it, instead of worrying about whether he's making the PERFECT choice during the play.

plyka

Reaction score
Anthony!":8crhyad1 said:
OreIdahawk":8crhyad1 said:
There were about 5 different occasions on the read option today where the Saints bit HARD on Lynch, and had Wilson kept the ball, he would have easily gained at least a first down or close to it. So frustrating! He was so dynamic with his legs last season especially with the read option. It's almost like he's scared to keep it. He really seems to have taken a step back in that department. Just doesn't look the same. With that said, he is still freaking awesome and I wouldn't trade him for the world. I just wish he would keep the ball more often on those read options because that would also open up the run even MORE for Marshawn.

Good thoughts but here is one, has it occurred to anyone that PC does not want him to keep it much? Maybe seeing what happened to RG3 made PC not want Rw to run much right now? Maybe seeing all the hits he had been taking PC does not want him to rum as much. That said lets remember he has more rushing yards this year than last.

If true, Pete would be a complete MORON. We are talking about the playoffs, now just 2 wins remaining til you WIN THE SUPERBOWL for the first time in this city's history. And you're worried about Wilson taking too many hits?

No freakin way. So what's the problem? Regarding the running, it's defenses. Many of us said what Arizona attempted to do late in the season --it was sacrafice QB pressure from your edge rushers for containment. So actually lessen the amount of pressure Wilson can succumb to, just to make sure you have him contained. Then since Wilson has ALWAYS had happy feet, even if there is no pressure, he sometimes takes his eyes off the field and looks to run --but the edge rushers are containing him, so he runs out of a pocket directly into a sack.

What is the solution? Well, the solution is quite simple. It's called MOVE THE FREAKING POCKET. This team does not EVER and i mean EVER actually move the pocket. The closest they get to is rolling him out, naked, in which case the containment is right on him. Why dont they actually MOVE THE POCKET>? Why don't they actually crack down on those outside rushers? Why don't they add some flavor into their plays? Last year you had episodes where Wilson would follow Marshawn into the hole. You had read option with the ability to pass. You had many things.

Now it's just stale with no innovation. Sure Wilson is to blame. He is having a softmore slump at the most inopportune time. However, a good OC would get him out of his slump. Wilson is best when innovating. Which means get him out of the pocket with a run/pass option. That's what he is best at. The only time we saw this against the Saints was that Kearse pass. Beauty! But the rest of the time he would get out of the pocket, undesigned, and become indecisive, worried he is going to make a mistake. The most obvious has been his inability to make a decision to run and beat a d linement to the edge --it's happened many times in the last 5 games.

NFLFan45

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ho6hzz5 said:
Missing_Clink":1ho6hzz5 said:
Largent80":1ho6hzz5 said:

No... we've won 14 games this year. I think our team has earned a little bit of faith from the fanbase. The amount of pessimism on this board lately is disturbing and frankly, a 10 page thread about "what's wrong with Russell Wilson" is downright embarassing.

Interesting.

So the Hawks have won 14 games this year. So Hawks fans should ignore any concerns they have and not discuss any of those issues with other Hawks fans on a message board.

Well, If/When the Hawks get matched up with the Broncos in the Super Bowl, both teams will have won 15 games at that point, i'm sure you won't try to break down any perceived weaknesses of the Broncos because, you know, they won 15 games and therefore are immune to any type of analysis. Oh wait. That's different right, cause that isn't your favorite team, so their success and winning 15 games won't mean as much and the issues or weaknesses that team has will be and should be pointed out and broken down constantly in an effort to show how the Hawks will beat them.

Have all the faith you want. Some folks are more analytical by nature than others.

Also, yes they have earned having faith that they will win, but that doesn't mean people should ignore any issues they feel like the team has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts