US Mens Soccer

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2n9up7hs said:
It could be too early to tell but from my observation, the new formation (3-5-2) didn't seem very effective.

might be with better players. Fabian johnson missing hurt, and Chile quickly figured out how to pick on Shea. despite his goal, he was very poor in the wing back slot. and im not sure the three in the back are the best three cbacks the US can offer up. either way, lots of confusion at times, and let chile in for easy goals.

dempsey and altidore up top is not dynamic enough either. (well Dempsey just isnt). i like Woods pace to stretch the back line and make room for the wing backs, but Dempsey cant do the same with the ball at his feet. liverpool are running this system quite effectively (except for the goal scoring part) by using a dynamic player (Coutinho, sometimes Lallana) underneath who can run with the ball. Dempsey doesnt do that anymore.

if Klinsmann wants to stay with this lineup, he will need to configure his lineup better. i'd say this must include Fabian Johnson and a true CAM (if one exists in the US program). the key players might not even be on the radar yet.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fc546tws said:
hawkfan68":fc546tws said:
It could be too early to tell but from my observation, the new formation (3-5-2) didn't seem very effective.

might be with better players. Fabian johnson missing hurt, and Chile quickly figured out how to pick on Shea. despite his goal, he was very poor in the wing back slot. and im not sure the three in the back are the best three cbacks the US can offer up. either way, lots of confusion at times, and let chile in for easy goals.

dempsey and altidore up top is not dynamic enough either. (well Dempsey just isnt). i like Woods pace to stretch the back line and make room for the wing backs, but Dempsey cant do the same with the ball at his feet. liverpool are running this system quite effectively (except for the goal scoring part) by using a dynamic player (Coutinho, sometimes Lallana) underneath who can run with the ball. Dempsey doesnt do that anymore.

if Klinsmann wants to stay with this lineup, he will need to configure his lineup better. i'd say this must include Fabian Johnson and a true CAM (if one exists in the US program). the key players might not even be on the radar yet.

Johnson makes this formation work...or at least better. He and Yedlin are great Wing Back type of players. Have speed, can run all day, and generally want to play attacking football.

Those are probably 3 of our top 5 or 6 CB's right now...Cameron and Gonzalez maybe could slide in.

I agree Dempsey isn't going to work at CAM....maybe 4 years ago...but not now. He needs to be up top, or not there at all.

I'd like to see a guy with pace play up top with Altidore....Wood was decent but has been out of form for a while.

As for CAM in the US System....There are a few playing in NE right now in Rowe and Nguyen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cameron has to be one of the top 3 no?

In a 352 the cbs need to be able to control and move the ball. Let the wbs move up the field. Jones actually works in that. He just shouldn't try to dribble out. Doesn't Sporting have a young cb who is good?

The key in the 352 though is the cam. Without a diverse and attacking player there the system will struggle. I'd like to see Bradley there for now but the U.S. will need that player they've struggled to produce. There are names but I'd love to see kinsman forward chances to these 18 to 20 year olds that seem to be made for that spot sooner in the cycle than later

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3aomm46z said:

In a 352 the cbs need to be able to control and move the ball. Let the wbs move up the field. Jones actually works in that. He just shouldn't try to dribble out. Doesn't Sporting have a young cb who is good?

The key in the 352 though is the cam. Without a diverse and attacking player there the system will struggle. I'd like to see Bradley there for now but the U.S. will need that player they've struggled to produce. There are names but I'd love to see kinsman forward chances to these 18 to 20 year olds that seem to be made for that spot sooner in the cycle than later

Cameron, yeah. top 3. My back 3 would be Cameron, Jones, Besler.

Sporting has a youngster CB they feel confident enough about to have traded Collin...his names escapes me at the moment.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1ikzotta said:
Uncle Si":1ikzotta said:

Cameron, yeah. top 3. My back 3 would be Cameron, Jones, Besler.

Sporting has a youngster CB they feel confident enough about to have traded Collin...his names escapes me at the moment.

thats the kid AC Milan wanted. Besler mightve been the Sporting CB i was initially thinking

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I didn't get to see the match, but the US loses 3-2 to Denmark after once again giving up late goals when they had the lead.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Decent line up given who was available. But still, I believe these friendlies are a perfect time to vet the younger players, and yet Klinsmann, for all his purpose to youth development, rarely trusts it. Green saw the field from the bench, Yedlin and Rubio were late subs, Zardes and Brooks were the only "young" player to receive time.

And why Romando over Cropper? What is the point? (I realize I am the only person interested in this. I believe the kid is America's next great keeper)

Anyways, if we as supporters can let the cycle process take place without the unrealistic expectations that accompany the National team, we might see some actual fluidity in the next 3 years. Gold Cup/Copa America not withstanding.

For the game... struggled in possession throughout. This is rather usual for the US when they go overseas. Some of it is just the unfamiliarity of the group as a whole. Didn't see alot of movement off the ball going forward, but I suppose when their isn't much possession there isn't much need for movement by the front.

The defense... good lord. The first two goals were school boy stuff. No pressure on either pass, nothing layered behind the first level. Bendtner just standing alone, twice, to hit home. Disappointing. Looking at the first, it appears Zardes had been left to play the balance on the far side, only to be staring at Bendtner from 5 yards away as he tapped home. Zardes probably hasn't received alot of defensive lessons in his time. That seemed obvious.

2nd goal, again, no pressure from the left back, who stood off the ball with his hands behind his back (not sure who left back was at this time). This isn't u18s kid. Go pressure the ball, its in your defensive third, near the touch line no less. You don't get to stand off. And then, like the first, not back side support from the midfield.

Correctable. My issue is those mistakes are more about mentality than tactics.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Gboly Ariyibi will be one to watch in a couple of years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":xjfgo9bz said:

Good shout... Hadn't heard of him but I can see he's in your neighborhood. How's he look?

Nice little match this morning out your way. USMNT U-20s playing the Spurs 21s. Any thoughts on Ariyibi not on a call up? (is Chesterfield playing through the international break?)

A couple other kids worth noting at the moment are Dembakwi Yomba, currently with Atletico Madrid and Andrija Novakovich (from Wisconsin, saw him play club in Chicago a couple times) currently with Reading. Bigger name players Cameron Carter- Vickers (English born, just 16 years old, with Spurs Academy, but looks to be choosing the US despite his eligibility to play with England) and Eric Palmer-Brown (with Sporting, soon Juventus) also playing. Both those kids will be in play for USMNT starting defender positions in 2018. Emerson Hyndman will also play. 18 year old midfielder currently with Fulham. Looks a talent.

If you get a chance, take a watch. game is broadcast on the USMNT website. Edit... its not on. highlights will be though

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1wjj0los said:
US U-23s manhandle Bosnia & Herzegovina 5-2 today.

Just a couple of guys on that roster that may ever be in contention for a call up. U23s are kind of a purgatory for players. Like JV. But, Luis Gil, Will Packwood (rocky start to his career after some promise), Will Trapp and a couple others may.

It will be interesting to see with this group how many keep their spots for the Olympics or lose them to any of the 20s that are showcasing. U20 World Cup over the Summer will be a showcase for the best of the young players in the program. Some of the names on the roster now are sure to change (as some surpass the date cut off or are passed by the 18s and 19s). I'd imagine that in the next two years, what young players replace Dempsey, Jones, Howard (and even Donovan) will emerge in these two competitions, ready to take over after the Gold Cup and Copa America.

Pretty good breakdown of how they look at the 3 groups... [http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/03/21/21/09/150322-mnt-u23mnt-u20mnt-three-rosters-feature

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27bv451t said:
SeatownJay":27bv451t said:
US U-23s manhandle Bosnia & Herzegovina 5-2 today.

Just a couple of guys on that roster that may ever be in contention for a call up. U23s are kind of a purgatory for players. Like JV. But, Luis Gil, Will Packwood (rocky start to his career after some promise), Will Trapp and a couple others may.

It will be interesting to see with this group how many keep their spots for the Olympics or lose them to any of the 20s that are showcasing. U20 World Cup over the Summer will be a showcase for the best of the young players in the program. Some of the names on the roster now are sure to change (as some surpass the date cut off or are passed by the 18s and 19s). I'd imagine that in the next two years, what young players replace Dempsey, Jones, Howard (and even Donovan) will emerge in these two competitions, ready to take over after the Gold Cup and Copa America.

Pretty good breakdown of how they look at the 3 groups... [http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/03/21/21/09/150322-mnt-u23mnt-u20mnt-three-rosters-feature

You don't think Jordan Morris will evolve into a first team Nat's player?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Isn't he a u20 player Smurf?

Don't know much about him to be honest. Know he got a cap and is back at school.

My point is the 23s will find their path to the senior squad harder than the talented 20s. Times a factor for them now.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gq1r6f1 said:

Don't know much about him to be honest. Know he got a cap and is back at school.

My point is the 23s will find their path to the senior squad harder than the talented 20s. Times a factor for them now.

He's 20, but has made 3 appearances for the U23's. He started the last game and had a goal and an assist.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1q6q7ap2 said:
Uncle Si":1q6q7ap2 said:

He's 20, but has made 3 appearances for the U23's. He started the last game and had a goal and an assist.

Not with the 23s or Senior team this week and not on the u20 roster for the World Cup. Long road I'd say. But he's 20 so time to make a push.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bc58omvh said:
Smurf":bc58omvh said:
Uncle Si":bc58omvh said:

Not with the 23s or Senior team this week and not on the u20 roster for the World Cup. Long road I'd say. But he's 20 so time to make a push.

This indicates that he is with the U23's: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/03 ... roster-rel

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bo4vuc3 said:
UK_Seahawk":2bo4vuc3 said:

Good shout... Hadn't heard of him but I can see he's in your neighborhood. How's he look?

Nice little match this morning out your way. USMNT U-20s playing the Spurs 21s. Any thoughts on Ariyibi not on a call up? (is Chesterfield playing through the international break?)

A couple other kids worth noting at the moment are Dembakwi Yomba, currently with Atletico Madrid and Andrija Novakovich (from Wisconsin, saw him play club in Chicago a couple times) currently with Reading. Bigger name players Cameron Carter- Vickers (English born, just 16 years old, with Spurs Academy, but looks to be choosing the US despite his eligibility to play with England) and Eric Palmer-Brown (with Sporting, soon Juventus) also playing. Both those kids will be in play for USMNT starting defender positions in 2018. Emerson Hyndman will also play. 18 year old midfielder currently with Fulham. Looks a talent.

If you get a chance, take a watch. game is broadcast on the USMNT website. Edit... its not on. highlights will be though

Yes Chesterfield did play through the international break and they actually won. Ariyibi played and did well coming off the bench.

He's been called up to the U-20 squad a few times but he hasnt played much until recently for Chesterfield. This probably affected his call up chances. Originally he was with Leeds and I think young players at bigger clubs get the benefit of the doubt if they arent playing regularly.

The lad is starting to turn some heads and seems to be playing with confidence. Here's a couple of assists in a recent match. I think he will do well and it will be interesting to see where he is in a few years time.

[youtube]bPnXm4O-tJ8[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1j00d0iq said:
Uncle Si":1j00d0iq said:
Smurf":1j00d0iq said:
Uncle Si":1j00d0iq said:

This indicates that he is with the U23's: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/03 ... roster-rel

Use the drop down to check the actual roster and he's not on it. Must not be updated

Latest posts