US Mens Soccer

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wonder how long the Brek Shea as a defender experiment lasts. Shea doesn't really strike me as a good defender type. Who knows, it worked with Evans.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3m1s9hwy said:
I wonder how long the Brek Shea as a defender experiment lasts. Shea doesn't really strike me as a good defender type. Who knows, it worked with Evans.

It's also important to note that Shea is the starting left back for Orlando City SC as well....so his time at defender is not limited to the national team as Evans initial appearances were.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":32f4e4dc said:
hawkfan68":32f4e4dc said:

It's also important to note that Shea is the starting left back for Orlando City SC as well....so his time at defender is not limited to the national team as Evans initial appearances were.

It should also be important to note that Brek Shea is not a very good soccer player, in any position. The movement of wingers to wingbacks is taking on fresh impetus since the revival of some European club teams doing the same thing.

Also, in reverse of that, look for Yedlin to transform to a more winger, outside mid role at Tottenham.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qjma194 said:
Smurf":1qjma194 said:
hawkfan68":1qjma194 said:

It should also be important to note that Brek Shea is not a very good soccer player, in any position. The movement of wingers to wingbacks is taking on fresh impetus since the revival of some European club teams doing the same thing.

Also, in reverse of that, look for Yedlin to transform to a more winger, outside mid role at Tottenham.

Lol @ Brek Shea comments. Never liked the guy to be honest.

And...Yedlin....Lets sure as hell hope he stays as a outside back...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Makes sense for club and country if he slides up. Kyle Walker and Fabian Johnson are nailing down their spots ahead of him at the moment

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":awz0j5bb said:
Yedlin is going to be a better RB in the end than a RM.

I'm not sure of that. He was a very good addition of pace and attacking prowess late in World Cup matches, after Johnson had run at players for the first 60-75 minutes. It all depends on the system employed. He'd be awful as a true RM in a 442. He has looked dangerous as a RW in any variation of a 433. He'd be perfect for Rodgers 3412 at Liverpool as one of the wide players in the 4

But either way, if he's not a better RB than Kyle Walker or Fabian Johnson, it makes no sense for him... unless he changes clubs and countries.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
USA vs. Swiss. Guess who had a beautiful goal from a free kick?...Brek Shea. 1-0 at the half.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":pkr4twyt said:
USA vs. Swiss. Guess who had a beautiful goal from a free kick?...Brek Shea. 1-0 at the half.

He's been bad all half (editing.. he actually was decent, for the most part, but tired at the end), then snipes the free kick. I guess we know what he's doing in training..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vyfriyt said:
Jozy said the magic red card words

https://instagram.com/p/05qvnvFQDz/

I didn't think it should be a red card until I saw that. Guys are awful yelling at the refs in the PL, and it doesn't take a lip reader to see what's being said.

But... going in twice like that is just selfish

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19pzowyk said:
Sgt. Largent":19pzowyk said:

I didn't think it should be a red card until I saw that. Guys are awful yelling at the refs in the PL, and it doesn't take a lip reader to see what's being said.

It's like managers getting thrown out of games for arguing with the ump, there are certain key words that are auto-ejects.

The funny thing is soccer players say the F-word all the time to the ref, but Jozy said the magic word "you" following the F-bomb that'll get any player a red. Once the swear word is personally directed at the ref, it's a no brainer.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ede09tdz said:
Uncle Si":ede09tdz said:
Sgt. Largent":ede09tdz said:

Ibut Jozy said the magic word "you" following the F-bomb that'll get any player a red. Once the swear word is personally directed at the ref, it's a no brainer.

Will it though? I've seen F-- you "muttered" more than a fair share. Actually can't remember the last time I saw a ref dish out so much as a card for getting cussed at. And those scrums around the ref have some nasty things being about.

I think the difference here is a friendly over a true match. If there is more than pride on the line Jozy stays and the ref gives him the yellow for the tackle and a warning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3u2ly93g said:
Will it though? I've seen F-- you "muttered" more than a fair share. Actually can't remember the last time I saw a ref dish out so much as a card for getting cussed at. And those scrums around the ref have some nasty things being about.

I think the difference here is a friendly over a true match. If there is more than pride on the line Jozy stays and the ref gives him the yellow for the tackle and a warning.

I've never seen "F you" while watching a match. I've seen "F off," "F'ing terrible call,".......and every other iteration with the word F*$# in it, but never with "you" behind it.

Also, seems like a friendly would be the time the ref would just give Jozy a yellow, rather than a red due to the casual nature of the match.

Either way, I don't blame the ref. Jozy was out of line. Good news for Toronto fans though, cause now Jozy has to sit out the next USMNT match.

Smurf

Reaction score
Jurgen has got to be going out of his f***ing mind with the play recently. Just horrendous.

That and we have lost the one element that really has stuck with US Soccer...that feeling that we never go away, we never stop fighting....

Shambles. Just shambles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":27ass6x2 said:
Jurgen has got to be going out of his f***ing mind with the play recently. Just horrendous.

That and we have lost the one element that really has stuck with US Soccer...that feeling that we never go away, we never stop fighting....

Shambles. Just shambles.

It's our back line that has me depressed. Have we EVER had a solid back line? Seems like it's been the Achilles heal of the USMNT FOREVER.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":273cc18y said:
Smurf":273cc18y said:

Shambles. Just shambles.

It's our back line that has me depressed. Have we EVER had a solid back line? Seems like it's been the Achilles heal of the USMNT FOREVER.

Churundelo, Gooch, Demerit, Bocanegra was about as solid as I can remember.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Back line is always in flux until the cycle begins. So many moving parts, new faces in and out, new systems, etc. it's hard to get a flow with your partners

That said, defending starts further up the field and is aided by possession. This is where the U.S. continue to struggle. No press nor possession puts a lot of pressure on your back 4. Goals in the World Cup from Belgium, Ghana, Portugal all after winning possession deep in our middle third. If you can't build through the center enough to retain possession on the other teams side of the middle third you are putting tons of pressure on the back line

All in all though there were a lot of positives to be had. Nice counters. Good attacking play and until Jozys sending off the US, with only two players who started against Belgium, were outplaying and eventually drew (on foreign soil) a very good Swiss squad (with 8 players who lost 1-0 to Argentina).

There needs to be more than fight in the squad. It needs technical ability and tactical awareness. That is what is letting them down. Three very poor goals conceded against Denmark and tonight missing a good 3 relatively easy chances.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lty71og said:
There needs to be more than fight in the squad. It needs technical ability and tactical awareness. That is what is letting them down. Three very poor goals conceded against Denmark and tonight missing a good 3 relatively easy chances.

This is where the Bradley vs. Klinsmann debate begins and ends.

Bradley knew his squad's technical deficiencies, and tactically managed accordingly to some success. Klinsmann also knows his squad's technical deficiencies, yet is trying hard to fix it.

Which is better? That's a soccer philosophical question that IMO there is no right answer to, because in the end results are the only thing that matters in sports. Doesn't matter how you got there.

I admire Jurgen's effort to try and create a more beautiful brand of technical soccer from the ground up, just not sure he'll see it come to fruition with the USMNT. Creating the foundation for what he wants takes generations.