We're sorry, Tical. You were right, please forgive us, Tical

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Fade":11w3grj9 said:
If you're Waldon, go back to running the offense from week 1. Where they motioned on most of their plays, used all areas of the field in the passing game. Featured outside zone runs with Wilson under center and booting off of it, which got the D-Lineman going sideways instead of pinning their ears back and going straight ahead.

Yup. I keep looking at other teams using their RB and receivers on the outside - and I wonder why we can't do that more effectively.

Week 1 was the last time I had hope for the season - for all of the reasons you list.

keasley45

Reaction score
ddores":3beqf24l said:
Fade":3beqf24l said:
If you're Waldon, go back to running the offense from week 1. Where they motioned on most of their plays, used all areas of the field in the passing game. Featured outside zone runs with Wilson under center and booting off of it, which got the D-Lineman going sideways instead of pinning their ears back and going straight ahead.

Yup. I keep looking at other teams using their RB and receivers on the outside - and I wonder why we can't do that more effectively.

Week 1 was the last time I had hope for the season - for all of the reasons you list.

Russ has never ever in 10 years been good at the screen game.

We did however run them with Geno.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":2lkdexgv said:
Took a lot of crap from a lot of people on here for a lotta years. Bit my lip knowing eventually everything I've been saying for years would be apparent to everyone. DO YOU HEAR ME NOW!!>!>!>

#3 never mastered the mental part of playing quarterback, which was always going to be needed when his legs couldn't create magic anymore. Now his ego prevents us from running, which ironically is the one thing that would help him most.

We've been seeing 2-deep almost exclusively for a year now. And have we executed even simple cover-2 concepts? At all? Hmmmm, why not? 3 coordinators now. Same results.

Who is gonna line up first? Fade? Seymour? Soulfish? All a y'all can see me.

So you wait until an injury, along with crap oline protection (Brown has given up 7 sacks in 10 games), and Wilson just plain in a funk attempting to come back to pronounce "I am the mighty Tical, and I was right for 5++ years"??? LMAO. Too bad you were saying it when he was playing top 5 football and we were winning. Grow a brain, circumstances today have completely changed and YOU WERE WRONG ALL ALONG for 5 years running. :177692:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson played an entire year, on essentially a walking boot, with little to no run game.

We used quick passes that entire year. He couldn't run at all. And our run game was iffy to poor that year.

So the whole 'He can only be good with a good run game' is ridiculous as the reason for his struggles. Also, EVERY QB is worse without any run game.

Now, if you want to take the stance that Wilson is not great at many skills that most NFL QBs are good to great at? Sure.

Wilson is exceptional to elite at many things that most NFL QBs struggle with.

But he is below average in many 'basic' NFL QB skills too.

So that is on the coach to find a way to use him that highlight his strengths and diminish his weaknesses.

But Carroll does not do this because Carroll has one idea and will use it regardless of need, impact, opponent, roster, or anything else. He forces square pegs into round holes regularly, and this is just Wilson's turn.

Is Wilson worth it?

-Wilson is exceptionally accurate throwing deep.

-He can throw on the move with tremendous accuracy.

-Wilson on the move does not significantly limit his vision (whereas most defenses are predicated on moving the QB)

-He does not get stressed or flustered under pressure or in big moments.

Those are all tremendously difficult to find and or defend. If you cannot use that, that is on you as the coach.

But....

Wilson was hurt. He came back. Does he look the same as before? Sure as hell doesn't to me.

I find it odd that all these issues only manifested to this degree after he was hurt.

You don't think there is the smallest % chance that the hand injury either continues to be a problem or led to other bad habits that he now cannot shake? It sure looks like it.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seymour":if5jd6ny said:
Tical21":if5jd6ny said:
Took a lot of crap from a lot of people on here for a lotta years. Bit my lip knowing eventually everything I've been saying for years would be apparent to everyone. DO YOU HEAR ME NOW!!>!>!>

#3 never mastered the mental part of playing quarterback, which was always going to be needed when his legs couldn't create magic anymore. Now his ego prevents us from running, which ironically is the one thing that would help him most.

We've been seeing 2-deep almost exclusively for a year now. And have we executed even simple cover-2 concepts? At all? Hmmmm, why not? 3 coordinators now. Same results.

Who is gonna line up first? Fade? Seymour? Soulfish? All a y'all can see me.

So you wait until an injury, along with crap oline protection (Brown has given up 7 sacks in 10 games), and Wilson just plain in a funk attempting to come back to pronounce "I am the mighty Tical, and I was right for 5++ years"??? LMAO. Too bad you were saying it when he was playing top 5 football and we were winning. Grow a brain, circumstances today have completely changed and YOU WERE WRONG ALL ALONG for 5 years running. :177692:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=E6BUU_FZAPE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq1NR9-zFig

What funk was Russ in here? Explain how any of that was a result of Pete or the OC or his finger. And if Kurt wanted to, he could put together the same critique probably every game for years. This isnt an abberation.

And for the 50th time, the O-line is bad because they are in perpetual pass block mode for a qb that rarely goes to the spot in the pocket he's supposed to or gets the damn ball out of his hands the way a 2nd year guy would. No o-line in the history of the league thats actually built to run the ball, can hold up an entire season in pass pro. Its dumb for us to pass the way we do especially given the sorry results.

HE HAS MOSTLY EVER MADE PLAYS WHEN HE'S NEGATED HIS INEFFECTIVENESS AT READING PLAYS AND JUST MADE SH!+ UP.

Only difference is that now he cant make it up anymore and is left with plays he cant execute.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":21587ial said:
Wilson played an entire year, on essentially a walking boot, with little to no run game.

We used quick passes that entire year. He couldn't run at all. And our run game was iffy to poor that year.

So the whole 'He can only be good with a good run game' is ridiculous as the reason for his struggles. Also, EVERY QB is worse without any run game.

Now, if you want to take the stance that Wilson is not great at many skills that most NFL QBs are good to great at? Sure.

So that is on the coach to find a way to use him that highlight his strengths and diminish his weaknesses.

But Carroll does not do this because Carroll has one idea and will use it regardless of need, impact, opponent, roster, or anything else. He forces square pegs into round holes regularly, and this is just Wilson's turn.

Is Wilson worth it?

-Wilson on the move does not significantly limit his vision (whereas most defenses are predicated on moving the QB)

Those are all tremendously difficult to find and or defend. If you cannot use that, that is on you as the coach.

But....

Wilson was hurt. He came back. Does he look the same as before? Sure as hell doesn't to me.

I find it odd that all these issues only manifested to this degree after he was hurt.

You don't think there is the smallest % chance that the hand injury either continues to be a problem or led to other bad habits that he now cannot shake? It sure looks like it.

This^^^ though I think he can shake it. Ots only been 2 games and this last was better than the firsst.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":3chdos6i said:
TwistedHusky":3chdos6i said:

Is Wilson worth it?

But....

This^^^ though I think he can shake it. Ots only been 2 games and this last was better than the firsst.

The question is though... Whats the purpose of playing him when if we lose another game or two, which we will, we arent making the playoffs. And if we did make the playoffs, we wouldnt go far. Weve lost our starting RB, CBs, Nickle CB and our starting QB has a bum finger. If Russ cant run to create plays, and he cant throw to the plays he sees, AND there's a rift between the FO and him that hasnt closed at all and he wants out, WHATS THE POINT IN PLAYING HIM?

Its the absolute worst thing we can do to put more game tape out there of him stinking. NFL analysts are already starting to pick up the drum beat that he isnt right... and not all are saying its just the finger. All marching him out there does is hurt our prospects of moving on this offseason and getting as much for him as possible.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
In all fairness to Tical21, there's been some glaring issues that I haven't seen the team adapt to that have eventually led to Seattle's fall from grace. I'm not trolling or being some kind of apologist for him or whatever, it's more I'm trying to understand where he's coming from, and I think I know what he's trying to say. I'm also not a real Xs and Os guy, but I can see where something is impacting the bigger picture, and I think that's where he's coming from (correct me if I'm wrong, though, Tical21).

Seattle's issues IMO are not one of those things that happened out of the blue this year, but happened gradually over time, and superstars like Wilson, Lynch, Wagner, etc. have been able to effectively cover it up. Let's not lie to ourselves here, either: The division as a whole sucking ass from a straw for a while has also effectively covered up the stink, as Seattle IMO didn't have any real consistent competition in the division since XLIX, so the Seahawks year after year would practically get into the playoffs by default, regardless of their issues, only to run into a wall and have their flaws on full display when they go against a legitimate SB contender (i.e. whoever they faced in the Divisional round).

On a side note, when I say "consistent competition," I mean teams that were consistently legit contenders and would force Seattle to improve. I don't consider teams like SF or Arizona over the past decade to be consistently good enough to be considered a major threat during that stretch. All they were really good at doing during that time was handing out free wins to whoever came to play them because they largely couldn't get out of their own way, except for maybe one or two good seasons. But I digress...

The years would go by, and key issues that plagued them year after year continued to not get addressed during times like the off-season and draft, because they could always rely on guys like Wilson to come through with a last minute miracle to save the day. As Mike Holmgren said once, close games like that does nothing for blood pressure, but it makes for great TV.

That's all fine and dandy, but it became pretty evident over the past few years since XLIX that the FO did not build the team for sustained success, and figured they could just throw money and draft picks at some big names (e.g. Jimmy Graham, Jamal Adams), and they could have the superstars carry the team (because only big names matter), while they throw a bunch of relative no-names in comparison into other spots. It made me feel like they would rather go after big names instead of being the team that coaches up their drafted talent, and instead, the coaching staff tells the young players to play angry and full of passion, even if it's to a fault (see: DK Metcalf).

But now, it's reached a point where failing to adapt to a changing division (never mind league) and riding the nostalgia train of thinking what worked back during the SB run will work indefinitely has come back to bite Seattle in the ass.

The division has improved over time, and none of them are a lock to pad Seattle's win column anymore. Even SF is showing promise.

It makes me feel like the Seahawks' coaching staff (i.e. Pete?) is like that guy at your job that was really good at something once upon a time, but rested on the laurels of past accomplishments and thought everyone would live in reverence of him forever, just because he was great once upon a time.

Guys like Pete Carroll are looking less like the Super Bowl-winning/contending coach of old, and are starting to look more and more like the head coach equivalent of Al Bundy.

TL;DR: The league changed and adapted, and the Seahawks largely didn't, and here they are today.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":177meii3 said:
TL;DR: The league changed and adapted, and the Seahawks largely didn't, and here they are today.

Definitely true, but IMO the #1 cause of the Hawk's collapse is Pete's inability to maintain his team's identity, on either side of the ball.

He came into the league with a 100% commitment to being a fast, athletic, physical punishing team on both sides of the ball.

Since Russell came into his own and got paid Pete has spent this entire time trying to find some happy middle ground of trying to keep that identity while also trying to keep Russell happy.

It hasn't worked. It's left the Hawks with no identity and more importantly rudderless as a franchise with a 71 year old head coach desperate to hold it all together.

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1lepvihr said:
Fade":1lepvihr said:
He checks to runs all of the time against 2 High. But they don't have the backs or the O-Line to consistently punish teams for cheating. They get behind the sticks and they have no choice but to throw.

This. I keep hearing run the ball more, but its hard when you cant.

The run game isn't the same without Carson, but they were getting some nice gains and first downs with it, especially when under center.

Runs also = less sacks. Less sacks = less 3rd and long situations.

It's not hard when you can't. It's hard when you don't. Collins had 10 carries.

On the flipside, just look at the Cards. James Conner had 21 carries.

Yes McCoy played well within their system, got rid of the ball, utilized TEs over the middle, and made plays when he needed to. But he also had the benefit of a run game. It wasn't some rocket-science type gameplan that Kingsbury drew up that made him successful.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":26y1zako said:
And for the 50th time, the O-line is bad because they are in perpetual pass block mode for a qb that rarely goes to the spot in the pocket he's supposed to or gets the damn ball out of his hands the way a 2nd year guy would.

I just read a stat last night that Wilson gets pressured or hit within 2.1 seconds on average,,,,,,from the shotgun. Its no wonder he doesnt want to line up under center. He has been hit and pummeled so often in his career due to pathetic Oline play that I truly believe he's gun shy. I was saying last year that I think he has 'Carr Syndrome' and i'm almost certain of that now. All those years of ignoring the Oline might have ruined him.

Sorry but the Oline is bad because they are bad. Period.

keasley45

Reaction score
hoxrox":1nchv7yf said:
pittpnthrs":1nchv7yf said:
Fade":1nchv7yf said:
He checks to runs all of the time against 2 High. But they don't have the backs or the O-Line to consistently punish teams for cheating. They get behind the sticks and they have no choice but to throw.

This. I keep hearing run the ball more, but its hard when you cant.

The run game isn't the same without Carson, but they were getting some nice gains and first downs with it, especially when under center.

Runs also = less sacks. Less sacks = less 3rd and long situations.

It's not hard when you can't. It's hard when you don't. Collins had 10 carries.

On the flipside, just look at the Cards. James Conner had 21 carries.

Yes McCoy played well within their system, got rid of the ball, utilized TEs over the middle, and made plays when he needed to. But he also had the benefit of a run game. It wasn't some rocket-science type gameplan that Kingsbury drew up that made him successful.

This. All day, everyday, 365 days per year.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Really speaks to the state of things when nobody has yet given Tical the apologies he is very clearly owed.

BamKam

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yvpkryl said:
A.D.I.D.A.S.":2yvpkryl said:

Definitely true, but IMO the #1 cause of the Hawk's collapse is Pete's inability to maintain his team's identity, on either side of the ball.

He came into the league with a 100% commitment to being a fast, athletic, physical punishing team on both sides of the ball.

Since Russell came into his own and got paid Pete has spent this entire time trying to find some happy middle ground of trying to keep that identity while also trying to keep Russell happy.

It hasn't worked. It's left the Hawks with no identity and more importantly rudderless as a franchise with a 71 year old head coach desperate to hold it all together.

Schneider's roster management is by far the biggest issue to me. It has been an absolute disaster for the past 4-5 years. Terrible trades, terrible draft picks, and just a bunch of head scratchers.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":z35rtirr said:
Now this is just disingenuous. I've been telling you for years that the biggest reason for Russell's success was our insistence on running the football, which for the first 9 years of his career gave Russell single-high, simpler coverages.

So much stupidity gets posted on here it getting tiresome even replying.

The Seahawks had historically bad running games in 2016 & 2017. They've been mediocre to poor since, outside of few games here and there when Carson is healthy, which he never is.

Wilson hasn't enjoyed a consistently good running game since 2015. Over half of his career.

Tical21":z35rtirr said:
Coverages that allowed him to leverage his greatest strength, which is that he's the most accurate deep ball passer in the history of the game. Your failure was thinking this would translate if we decided to pass more, and pass into more 2-deep and disguised coverages. If we stop playing "Pete Ball" and just "Let Russ Cook".

It doesn't work when the opposing team doesn't worry about the running game and instead takes away the deep ball. It just doesn't. See the ugly picks, trying to desperately push the ball down the field? They aren't scared of anything anymore besides getting beat over the top. These picks come because you can't execute core concepts properly, so you have to throw desperation passes instead. You really think Russell is going to re-invent himself and figure out how to execute at this point in his career? Bottom line, Russell Wilson is DONE being a successful quarterback in this league, unless he allows himself to play off of the running game again. Period. He's been solved.

I've told you all this was going to happen. I told you all we didn't want to go to a pass-first offense because Russell doesn't execute like that. I told you all he wasn't Patrick Mahomes. Now that you're seeing it with your own eyes in a way that is impossible to hide from, you're still blaming Pete? Really? For doing what? You're on the wrong side of this one my friend, and you've been on the wrong side of it for a long time. And if you're unwilling to admit that after what we've seen for a year now, there's no point continuing this debate any further. You're just making stuff up and doubling down against all evidence at this point.

He is executing so poorly he's #2 graded player in the league. Despite no longer seeing these "simpler" coverages.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1461416417249669128[/tweet]

You're the one making stuff up. The entire team is a mess. Top to bottom, and instead of blaming the guy in charge of the construction of this dumpster fire. You're blaming the QB who can no longer overcome said dumpster fire that has been festering and getting worse for years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not even worth a response. Congrats. You actually feel good about this. Try not to hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. You got your internet attention!!! Good for you kid.

Have a great holiday everyone :irishdrinkers:

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1aommeqs said:
You just did exactly the same thing with Mahomes in the NFL forum, gloating about being ahead of the curve and saying you'd take Tannehill and Wilson over him. Come on now.

You obviously didn't read that thread. I started a dialog of Pat Mahomes struggles, at that point he was playing worse than half the QBs in the league. And graded out as such, posted the evidence. The National Media a week or two later caught up and agreed.

And I clearly stated: "Right now, not longterm." I also said "I think he will eventually work his way through this, but it could take some time."

But read what you want, and put words in other people's mouths, that is how people operate around here.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I hope the OP goes and gets a shoulder X-ray. He's undoubtedly dislocated it or worse, patting himself on the back so hard. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't have him on 'foe' yet, but that drivel is getting him closer all the time. I hate it when reading a post causes individual brain cells to commit suicide.

I was hoping that most of the stupid shitposts would have been over by today so I avoided yesterday like the plague. I was wrong about that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":2rgm96f1 said:
Tical21":2rgm96f1 said:
Now this is just disingenuous. I've been telling you for years that the biggest reason for Russell's success was our insistence on running the football, which for the first 9 years of his career gave Russell single-high, simpler coverages.

So much stupidity gets posted on here it getting tiresome even replying.

The Seahawks had historically bad running games in 2016 & 2017. They've been mediocre to poor since, outside of few games here and there when Carson is healthy, which he never is.

Wilson hasn't enjoyed a consistently good running game since 2015. Over half of his career.

Tical21":2rgm96f1 said:
Coverages that allowed him to leverage his greatest strength, which is that he's the most accurate deep ball passer in the history of the game. Your failure was thinking this would translate if we decided to pass more, and pass into more 2-deep and disguised coverages. If we stop playing "Pete Ball" and just "Let Russ Cook".

It doesn't work when the opposing team doesn't worry about the running game and instead takes away the deep ball. It just doesn't. See the ugly picks, trying to desperately push the ball down the field? They aren't scared of anything anymore besides getting beat over the top. These picks come because you can't execute core concepts properly, so you have to throw desperation passes instead. You really think Russell is going to re-invent himself and figure out how to execute at this point in his career? Bottom line, Russell Wilson is DONE being a successful quarterback in this league, unless he allows himself to play off of the running game again. Period. He's been solved.

I've told you all this was going to happen. I told you all we didn't want to go to a pass-first offense because Russell doesn't execute like that. I told you all he wasn't Patrick Mahomes. Now that you're seeing it with your own eyes in a way that is impossible to hide from, you're still blaming Pete? Really? For doing what? You're on the wrong side of this one my friend, and you've been on the wrong side of it for a long time. And if you're unwilling to admit that after what we've seen for a year now, there's no point continuing this debate any further. You're just making stuff up and doubling down against all evidence at this point.

He is executing so poorly he's #2 graded player in the league. Despite no longer seeing these "simpler" coverages.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1461416417249669128[/tweet]

You're the one making stuff up. The entire team is a mess. Top to bottom, and instead of blaming the guy in charge of the construction of this dumpster fire. You're blaming the QB who can no longer overcome said dumpster fire that has been festering and getting worse for years.

Glad someone called this flat out stupidity out......AGAIN! That was always TiCal's go to that Russell could not read and execute against zone and again and again we posted real stats proving otherwise.

Maybe he'll go and hide for another year now??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Fade":26gg71nf said:
Tical21":26gg71nf said:
Another system? You're aware this is our third system in the past five years, and all have been very diverse, yeah? Bevell was a WCO, Schotty was power run, Waldron a bit more misdirection, but all quite different systems..

Nope. They all conform to Pete. They didn't change the offense when Schotty came, as confirmed by Pete.
Waldron was de-nutted very quickly. Watch the week 1 Colts game and compare it to what it is now.

Three different sock puppets, that add a little of the flavor over the top, but aren't allowed to cook the meal are not 3 different systems.

He DID NOT do these things earlier in his career. I've been waiting and waiting for him to execute core concepts his whole career, which I've written about dozens and dozens of times here over his career.

He loves Sprint Right Option (anything rollout really.) Waggle. Mesh, (anything involving crossers really, including deep over.) Double Seam.

His strength WAS throwing on the run accurately. He no longer has the freakish athleticism that was once his hallmark, so we're stuck with the version that doesn't know how to execute against 2-deep zone coverages, and can't extend the plays long enough for these zones to collapse.

It's still his strength. He is completing 85% of his passes at 13.9 YPA on playaction & rollouts before the AZ game. They went away from it for whatever reason, instead choosing to go back to the sitting duck offense behind one the worst pass blocking O-Lines in the NFL.

No matter what system you run, against a 2-deep zone, it eventually is going to come down to executing core 2-deep zone concepts. These include but are not limited to: flood/smash (we can't execute this because Russ refuses to hit the corner route over a rolled corner), dagger (this is literally wide open multiple times every game but Russ refuses to throw it because he is scared of the LB), some kind of levels concept (which we can't use because Russ can't see).

You have to take the Drew Brees approach which is Seams and Screens. And build a top 5 offensive line, especially on the interior, to assist with your diminutive QBs sight-lines. Pete never got the memo. And generally how they are supposed to be built as told by Pete Carroll, but aren't, is to run the ball down their throat. Asking any offensive coach what is the best approach against a 2 high defense and it is to run them out of it.

When there is a 2-deep zone, this suggests you'll have a light box to run against. Most quarterbacks will just check to a run. But Russell refuses to do so. Hello, ego. So, lately, we've been looking for our deep concepts, which usually aren't there or Russ forces anyways, or Russ tries to buy time until something comes open, which he isn't great at.

So if you're Waldron, what do you do? Bottom line, we can't do anything until Russell starts checking to run. But he thinks he's Mahomes, so that won't happen. Teams have adjusted to Russell, and solved him. Instead of evolving as a player, he's decided instead to try to double-down and try to will his stuff to work. Week after week. Just banging that square peg into the round hole. Over, and over, and over again.

LOL THIS^^^^....Tickle21 is just keeps on embarrassing himself, & doesn't know how to ADMIT that HE IS WRONG.