OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
John63":2iwj02e4 said:
hoxrox":2iwj02e4 said:
Jville":2iwj02e4 said:

Wow big difference in the passing charts.

@J63, Geno Smith disagrees with "Pete's directive" on not using the middle of the field.

Godo did it occur to you that they called the game different for geno knowing he can't do what Wilson does? I am guessing not.
I think you kinda got that backwards....

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
austinslater25":1q3l1qxy said:
This guy is still around? Clown car. Tical you actively watch every game hoping Russ fails so at some point a decade in to a hall of fame career you can be right, its weird. Is Russ perfect? Nope, Is he struggling right now? Yep but he's still one of the best in the game and I know that drives you nuts. I think people might take you seriously if weren't a ghost when he's playing good but you hide and wait to come out after a bad game or two. Again, it's bizarre.
Yep, absolutely playing like one of the best in the game over his past 17 (about the time teams started playing 2-deep safeties.) LRC!!

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
John63":1kufwykn said:
hoxrox":1kufwykn said:
Jville":1kufwykn said:

@J63, Geno Smith disagrees with "Pete's directive" on not using the middle of the field.

Godo did it occur to you that they called the game different for geno knowing he can't do what Wilson does? I am guessing not.

So you're admitting Russ can't see the middle of the field now? Which one is it? I thought this was a fact-based board not an opinionated one? Your response to fact-based Russell vision/passing issues is a Pete Carroll book? (lol)

TCHawks

Reaction score
Again I’d take someone like tical seriously if when Wilson plays well they come on here and say it. When you only show up after a bad game or two you look like a clown. Be objective. It’s weird when you actively root against a player and you’re dead ass silent until he stumbles. It seems like an obsession.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":17bqlkve said:
Jville":17bqlkve said:

Geno also only averages 7 yards a pass. Theres a reason he's a dink and dunker. He's not good enough to be anything but that. You would think that all that short passing to the middle would equate to wins but they didnt.

keasley45

Reaction score
hoxrox":n9eef23p said:
chris98251":n9eef23p said:
Wilson is one of the easiest QB's to defend, two deep play inside out, play LB's shallow in the flat and then come up for run support and drop to just inside the numbers on a pass, corners play inside out to the sidelines you have the look of 7 in the box for run and a flooded zone for pass along with 2 extra defenders in the sideline out of bounds since Wilson will not use the area between the numbers for a seam, curl, slant, or crossing pattern hardly ever.

So you get 13 men on the field in essence to cover 33 percent of the field, how can defense not win?

If he does use that part of the field on a rare occasion you collapse and we get a good gain and you reset since he does it rarely.

Wilson also rarely climbs the pocket also he rolls right almost exclusively and or drops deeper throwing timing off and going to a scramble drill either deep or to the sideline on the right side.

That is our predictability.

Unfortunately this is true, which makes the offense easy for DCs to defend. And conversely, hard for ANY OC (let alone a rookie one) to game plan for.

This is Russ' passing chart against AZ. If I'm a DC, I tell my defense to not worry about the red circle AT ALL.

Russel passing chart2

100% correct and it's been this was forever. And when you watch defenses they don't even guard that area of the field. One , maybe two reads left or right and then a throw deep or to the flat

keasley45

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":33h4rqd6 said:
hoxrox":33h4rqd6 said:
Jville":33h4rqd6 said:

Geno also only averages 7 yards a pass. Theres a reason he's a dink and dunker. He's not good enough to be anything but that. You would think that all that short passing to the middle would equate to wins but they didnt.

It's funny, Wilson misses 3 starts because he hurts his finger and when he is God awful, the story is that he's rusty. Geno doesn't start for 3 years yet when he comes in if he doesn't light it up, its because he's never been more than a dinker and a dunker. Regardless of how long he throws the point of the post was to disprove the myth that Pete forbids throws to the middle of the field because it's too dangerous. Russ doesn't go there because he can't. Nor can he dink and dunk.

keasley45

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":26khp53h said:
John63":26khp53h said:
hoxrox":26khp53h said:
Jville":26khp53h said:

So you're admitting Russ can't see the middle of the field now? Which one is it? I thought this was a fact-based board not an opinionated one? Your response to fact-based Russell vision/passing issues is a Pete Carroll book? (lol)

What is it that Wilson does that you have to take off the board when Geno comes in? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to understand what you think it is that has to change. Because much of what Russ does isn't the play that's called, or for that matter even a play in the book. He's given a play, abandons it and then does Russ. Trying to get at what part of the playbook wouldn't be called for Geno.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
keasley45":2ppc9rsj said:
FloridaSeahawk18":2ppc9rsj said:
John63":2ppc9rsj said:
hoxrox":2ppc9rsj said:

What is it that Wilson does that you have to take off the board when Geno comes in? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to understand what you think it is that has to change. Because much of what Russ does isn't the play that's called, or for that matter even a play in the book. He's given a play, abandons it and then does Russ. Trying to get at what part of the playbook wouldn't be called for Geno.

Russell needs to learn to step up in the pocket and use the middle of the field more often or use the dump offs. Maybe we've created our own David Carr as I have no doubt early in his career the O-line didn't help and now he may be reluctant to do it. He also relied on his athleticism that undoubtedly has decreased with age and the "spin" move is now known. If the solution is Russell needs an elite run-game then there is no reason to have a $30m QB in place, we can get a game manager or somebody like Drew Lock and use the cap space on the defense/o-line instead. Deep shots and out-routes are clearly not a sustainable long-term offense that will work as we've seen since the last half of last year and his denial after the Tennessee game honestly pissed me off.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":er5c3ho6 said:
It's funny, Wilson misses 3 starts because he hurts his finger and when he is God awful, the story is that he's rusty. Geno doesn't start for 3 years yet when he comes in if he doesn't light it up, its because he's never been more than a dinker and a dunker. Regardless of how long he throws the point of the post was to disprove the myth that Pete forbids throws to the middle of the field because it's too dangerous. Russ doesn't go there because he can't. Nor can he dink and dunk.

Geno didnt light it up because he stinks. He's never lit it up no matter where he's been. No excuses are being made for him.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":264hbfcl said:
keasley45":264hbfcl said:

Geno didnt light it up because he stinks. He's never lit it up no matter where he's been. No excuses are being made for him.
Nothin from nothin but his numbers are better pretty much across the board than Russ this year so.....if he stinks, then Russell....

keasley45

Reaction score
Tical21":1fw34fum said:
pittpnthrs":1fw34fum said:
keasley45":1fw34fum said:

Nothin from nothin but his numbers are better pretty much across the board than Russ this year so.....if he stinks, then Russell....

Exactly. If you go purely on basic metrics... pocket awareness, ability to read a defense, adjust routes or protections, post snap, pre snap, these are not things Russ does well. It hasn't matters because he's made plays anyway until the last few years when defenses now know just about all of his tricks.

And now all of those things he doesn't do well are crippling his play and the offense.

toffee

Reaction score
hoxrox":3no60nyo said:
chris98251":3no60nyo said:
Wilson is one of the easiest QB's to defend, two deep play inside out, play LB's shallow in the flat and then come up for run support and drop to just inside the numbers on a pass, corners play inside out to the sidelines you have the look of 7 in the box for run and a flooded zone for pass along with 2 extra defenders in the sideline out of bounds since Wilson will not use the area between the numbers for a seam, curl, slant, or crossing pattern hardly ever.

So you get 13 men on the field in essence to cover 33 percent of the field, how can defense not win?

If he does use that part of the field on a rare occasion you collapse and we get a good gain and you reset since he does it rarely.

Wilson also rarely climbs the pocket also he rolls right almost exclusively and or drops deeper throwing timing off and going to a scramble drill either deep or to the sideline on the right side.

Unfortunately this is true, which makes the offense easy for DCs to defend. And conversely, hard for ANY OC (let alone a rookie one) to game plan for.

This is Russ' passing chart against AZ. If I'm a DC, I tell my defense to not worry about the red circle AT ALL.

Russel passing chart2

Looking at the Geno chart vs Russ chart, Geno didn't throw anything 20+ yards, Russ didn't throw anything 10-15 yards towards the center. If we could just mix these guys up, attack both, but guessing Geno didn't have the arm to go deep, and Russ for whatever reasons couldn't do middle stuff.

I doubt Wilson's height is the limiting factor as Brees and that shorty in Arizona could do it, come to think of it, Murray is not only shorter than Russ, his 28" arms are 4" shorter than Russ's. If Murray could do it, why couldn't Russ?

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
keasley45":39ujbibr said:
Tical21":39ujbibr said:
pittpnthrs":39ujbibr said:
keasley45":39ujbibr said:

Exactly. If you go purely on basic metrics... pocket awareness, ability to read a defense, adjust routes or protections, post snap, pre snap, these are not things Russ does well. It hasn't matters because he's made plays anyway until the last few years when defenses now know just about all of his tricks.

And now all of those things he doesn't do well are crippling his play and the offense.
Yup, all while his ego forces him to feed into LRC. The LRC crowd has created a monster that I'm afraid can't go back into it's bottle.

Seahawks football is to say "you want to play two deep? You want to play a light box? We're gonna run it down your throat until you tap out.". As it should be. Now? We have to appease the quarterback, who can't play against 2-deep. It's all buggered tbh. If I see one more Russ promo video....

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":c1g8jn39 said:
chris98251":c1g8jn39 said:

Only took 10 years to figure him out huh?
The speed and running ability he used to have hid a lot.
I saw through that years ago.He's doing the same thing
and hasn't changed besides losing his legs.

toffee

Reaction score
Tical21":xfxme6l4 said:
keasley45":xfxme6l4 said:
Tical21":xfxme6l4 said:
pittpnthrs":xfxme6l4 said:

Yup, all while his ego forces him to feed into LRC. The LRC crowd has created a monster that I'm afraid can't go back into it's bottle.

Seahawks football is to say "you want to play two deep? You want to play a light box? We're gonna run it down your throat until you tap out.". As it should be. Now? We have to appease the quarterback, who can't play against 2-deep. It's all buggered tbh. If I see one more Russ promo video....

I was bewildered when LRC ran into turbulence, and just couldn't navigate out of it, it's not like two deep was new and undefeatable, just that we couldn't. We couldn't then, apparently two OCs later we still can't now.

Totally unreal!

Optimus25

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that Bevell conditioned him into thinking that every pass had to come from some sort of combination pattern instead of just occasionally going full WCO. With DK you just throw constantly at him. Slants, comebacks, box out quick routes, and then just throw fades up to him whenever you get in trouble. Just punish them until they’re double teaming, and then exploit with Tyler.

Instead we target Swain and believe a washed up Alex Collins is the answer.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tical21":xodvgdfe said:
pittpnthrs":xodvgdfe said:
keasley45":xodvgdfe said:

There's a reason Geno is a backup in this league. You need to put your Wilson hate away and open your eyes to realize why. Wilson has been putting up 10-12 wins a year despite this dumpster fire of a coaching staff and he gets hurt and is finally having a bad season and Geno Smith is all of a sudden better than him? Put the bottle down. Your drunk.