What a former player thinks

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status/1453942873229967360[/tweet]

Let me guess, though - this player doesn't count?

soxhawk

Reaction score
Going to the playoffs is great, but when they've become early exits, it feels like something is missing. Patriots won super bowls during their 11 year run.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Awesome, but at the same time getting sick of "Welcome to the playoffs, here's the exit." because of PC's ineptitude at the playoff level lately.

I mean, if you're happy with having a winning season just to pretty much immediately exit the playoffs, then PC is your champion. It almost feels like lately PC only coaches to make it to the playoffs and then goes to "I don't know what to do now"

Me personally, this story is getting older and older every year like PC and RW.

balakoth

Reaction score
While true.. to the posters above.

You'd rather be 8 and 8 every year and just not go... sitting in the middle of the draft board? Gotcha..

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
balakoth":1u64lzox said:

You'd rather be 8 and 8 every year and just not go... sitting in the middle of the draft board? Gotcha..

I don't stop watching football at the end of the regular season. If I did, I'd be a much bigger advocate of PC.

It's not so black and white as you and others make it out to be. It's not guaranteed that we're going to go suddenly from winning seasons to years of mediocrity. So the narrative that getting rid of PC means "Oh no, back to what the team looked like BEFORE PC for years and years" is dumb and ridiculously outdated.

I think the lifespan of a HC that isn't succeeding is about ~3 years these days. Give or take, depending on the organization.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's a winner, there's no denying that.

But that doesn't mean it's not time to move on from him after 6-7 years of disappointing early playoff exit seasons, and probably not even making the playoffs this year.

Compound the fact that your franchise QB is more than likely going to help make this decision even easier for ownership by either demanding a trade or else fire Pete.

All these things can be true, I don't have to feel like the OP, or Tate. It's a complicated situation........that will probably get messier and more and more complicated as the season and off season go along.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm literally just making a post contrasting the other post of the same name, where a poster freaked out about any criticism of the players (Greg Olson) opinion being because it "doesnt fit" the posters narrative.

Just saying, that logic needs to go both ways.

Just wanted to get that out of the way. Proceed. :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1gz0dqpi said:
I'm literally just making a post contrasting the other post of the same name, where a poster freaked out about any criticism of the players (Greg Olson) opinion being because it "doesnt fit" the posters narrative.

Just saying, that logic needs to go both ways.

Just wanted to get that out of the way. Proceed. :irishdrinkers:

I was really irritated by Olsen's comments, especially when he said "yeah I didn't really agree with some of what Pete was preaching, but those other guys, they REALLY bought in!"

STFU dude, you basically stole 7M from the Hawks. So don't really put a lot of stock in what you say you saw last year.

Again, both can be true...............Pete's brilliant at culture, and all the organizational things that you need to build a winning program. But that doesn't also mean the game's past him by and he's now struggling with the X's and O's, and IMO the most important thing he's struggling with, player acquisition, development and drafting.

hawker84

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":dx0p20ow said:

Division banners and one and dones are awesome. Yawn.

As far as Golden Tate, criticizing and calling out a ineffective coaching staff over the last 6-7 years is not jumping off the bandwagon. It is possible to call out coaches and players and still be a die hard fan. I know some people have trouble with that,
according to them you have to be a blind homer to be a true fan. SMDH.

Jville

Reaction score
The networks, as demonstrated by that NBC program are designed to play their subscribers and feed them the controversy they have been condition to hunger for. Given how limited their knowledge is about any of the targeted teams, the networks have considerable leeway and power as to how they chose to portray the subjects of their presentations. Resulting in the making and breaking of brands as a consequence.

Thanks for for providing an opportunity to try again at getting that said.

Go Hawks!

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1c22vqt8 said:

ahh what player there is nothing there

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
balakoth":2ngrjjaz said:

Whats the difference between that and whats going on now? Neither are getting the team any closer to the a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2gbwwykv said:
Maelstrom787":2gbwwykv said:

ahh ahh theres a tweet there ahh ahh ahh ahh

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MyrtleHawk":xaoyowhw said:
It's not so black and white as you and others make it out to be. It's not guaranteed that we're going to go suddenly from winning seasons to years of mediocrity. So the narrative that getting rid of PC means "Oh no, back to what the team looked like BEFORE PC for years and years" is dumb and ridiculously outdated.

It's not guaranteed.

But it's highly probable.

"Outdated" is a weird term to use here given all the teams that just sit in the mediocre to bad category almost every year. That's probably about half the teams in the league, a little less now that they let a couple more teams in the playoffs. That's just a normal NFL team.

I don't know if this team is going to be better off without Carroll, but I do know that the last few years of "didn't get past the divisional round, ugh" is better than almost every team in the league.

If you're a gambler and believe in low probability rebuild or bust, I get that. But it seems like a lot of people think it's "guaranteed" or at least close to it that getting rid of Carroll will result in some high probability situation where the team regularly makes NFC Championship games/Super Bowls. That seems pretty delusional.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2uprdjoh said:
John63":2uprdjoh said:
Maelstrom787":2uprdjoh said:

ahh ahh theres a tweet there ahh ahh ahh ahh

Ahh there is it now, for some reason my Chrome was not showing it but my other browser is. So one problem Tate has not played here in 8 years so he has no clue what is going on now. Nice try though it failed badly. Also great playoffs 9 of 11 but was that because of or despite PC given what PC himself said we know the answer is despite.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
soxhawk":3pu7c4yd said:
Going to the playoffs is great, but when they've become early exits, it feels like something is missing. Patriots won super bowls during their 11 year run.
They had TOM BRADY & were > An East Coast Team<> 'Deflate Gate' a pretty friendly schedule, In A Much Weaker Division....Now?, No Brady, No Gronk, and they're showing some chinks in their armor.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawker84":3cf3esyx said:
Maelstrom787":3cf3esyx said:

Division banners and one and dones are awesome. Yawn.

As far as Golden Tate, criticizing and calling out a ineffective coaching staff over the last 6-7 years is not jumping off the bandwagon. It is possible to call out coaches and players and still be a die hard fan. I know some people have trouble with that,
according to them you have to be a blind homer to be a true fan. SMDH.
And there are a bunch like me, who have bled the blue & green (die-hard fans) who've suffered through some really CRAP Seasons, DID NOT QUIT THEN, & WILL NOT QUIT NOW....To Each His Own............. SMDH :stirthepot:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":181t7mb4 said:
MyrtleHawk":181t7mb4 said:

It's not guaranteed.

But it's highly probable.

"Outdated" is a weird term to use here given all the teams that just sit in the mediocre to bad category almost every year. That's probably about half the teams in the league, a little less now that they let a couple more teams in the playoffs. That's just a normal NFL team.

I don't know if this team is going to be better off without Carroll, but I do know that the last few years of "didn't get past the divisional round, ugh" is better than almost every team in the league.

If you're a gambler and believe in low probability rebuild or bust, I get that. But it seems like a lot of people think it's "guaranteed" or at least close to it that getting rid of Carroll will result in some high probability situation where the team regularly makes NFC Championship games/Super Bowls. That seems pretty delusional.
You're absolutely right bmore, It "Seems Pretty Delusional", because it IS "Pretty Delusional"

RCATES

Reaction score
That same division is why they went to the playoffs those 9 out of 11. For the most part the NFC west has been garbage outside a few years.