Where did Pete go wrong?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My opinion is that they did a great job on drafting and then a terrible job of drafting and pete was not a good enough coach to overcome it. Last years draft was too little to late. If the team does not improve Schneider will be the next casualty
Exactly

BGHawk

Reaction score
It used to be hawk tackles and mean dogs..then went to rainbows and fancy helmet/ field slogans. Pete ..just like his gum, lost it's flavor. Nice to see we are getting back on track

IndyHawk

Reaction score
PC besides all the obvious reasons for failing,went away from what helped
build up the SB teams and that is churning and leaving no rock unturned!
Instead it became signing FA's that failed,trades that gave up picks for little
return and keeping vets for too long with expensive contracts.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It's a combination of things. The Super Bowl loss was the start. Afterwards (I don't want to sound mean here) I believe he was cocky and believed anything he tried would work because it did before. He got cute instead of doing things the correct way. Horrible drafting, FA misses, sticking with schemes and game plans when they weren't working, not having players in position to play to their strengths, not adapting to the league as it was changing because he didn't want to give any power or say away, etc,,,,. There's no one thing. There were many.

Parallax

Reaction score
It starts with the LOB. They were special players with enormous talent but it wasn't just that. It was also the way they played with this enormous chip on their shoulder. Like no one respected them and so they were going to show the world. And they did.

Add in Russ and Lynch, and man, that's a lot for any opponent to contain.

But there were cracks from the very beginning. Pete was never a great tactician and his trades were often big swings that went bad. Percy Harvin was a bad move but the team was strong enough to overcome it. But then came Max Unger for Jimmy Graham and that was the beginning of the end. It seemed Carroll never really respected the center position (Eskridge over Humphrey? Really?) and Carroll didn't have a clue how to utilize Jimmy's skill set. Why trade for a guy you've not figured out how to use well? Lack of strategic thinking was always a problem. During games, between games and when assessing big moves.

That's another thing. He wasn't flexible. He didn't alter his schemes to take advantage of the skills of his players. He stuck to what he knew and said, "We just have to do it better".

The Adams trade reeked of desperation. Russ Wilson is growing old. The LOB is gone. The window to get back to the Superbowl is closing. Swing for the fences. I hated the trade when it went down but I groked it. Made sense to me. Unlike this past season's trade for a ten game rental of Williams. Don't get me wrong; I like Williams. Good solid veteran. But it was clear we weren't making a deep run. Talk about desperate. It seemed Carroll was either blind or just trying to preserve his skin by making it back to the playoffs. Either way, it was a sinful way to squander draft capital. This draft is deep on linemen. That's a real position of need for us. What I wouldn't give to have that second back.

I'm not blaming Schneider for the bad moves. Maybe I should. But my sense has long been that those moves seem like Carroll decisions. My sense is that two years ago Pete was forced to relinquish control of the draft to John and look what happened.

I could be wrong. I really like the way Schneider handled the coaching search but it's early in the new reign. We'll see how this next draft goes. We'll see how MacDonald pans out.

Bottom line, I loved Pete for a long time but I felt it was time for him to leave when the Wilson trade went down. Even a year or two earlier would have been ideal. He's the kind of coach who can win when he has a ton of talent and a core of guys who can hold each other accountable. Without that, more flexible and brighter guys like McVey run circles around him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
People keep thinking there's this plateau of success above Pete that others were attaining and he was consistently falling short of. But there weren't. The only teams performing better than him were the Patriots and Chiefs, and everyone knows why. After that, there was Pete Carroll and then a whole lot of nothing.

Bad drafting capped his potential here after 2013. The fact that he was still the best coach in the NFC during that period is a testament to his coaching. Letting him leave was an enormous gamble, and had Mike Macdonald not wanted to come here, we'd be left holding the bag right now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
People keep thinking there's this plateau of success above Pete that others were attaining and he was consistently falling short of. But there weren't. The only teams performing better than him were the Patriots and Chiefs, and everyone knows why. After that, there was Pete Carroll and then a whole lot of nothing.

Bad drafting capped his potential here after 2013. The fact that he was still the best coach in the NFC during that period is a testament to his coaching. Letting him leave was an enormous gamble, and had Mike Macdonald not wanted to come here, we'd be left holding the bag right now.

I don’t get the enormous gamble. He told them he was going to retire then changes his mind. So at best he had 1 year left? Maybe 2? Do you think we were going deep in the playoffs with him? If not then what is the gamble? If even McDonald falls flat and they hire another guy what have they lost? He’s 73 years old. I keep hearing this but the argument doesn’t make sense to me.

I think they were going to get worse next year before getting better. Losing multiple starters to FA, lack of a second rounder, terrible cap situation etc.

Msfann

Reaction score
The game adjusted to Pete and Pete didn't adjust back. Same vanilla gameplan all the time and everyone knew it and knew how to beat it.
I don't hate Pete and I don't think he's too old, I just think it was time to let someone else try.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don’t get the enormous gamble. He told them he was going to retire then changes his mind. So at best he had 1 year left? Maybe 2? Do you think we were going deep in the playoffs with him? If not then what is the gamble? If even McDonald falls flat and they hire another guy what have they lost? He’s 73 years old. I keep hearing this but the argument doesn’t make sense to me.

I think they were going to get worse next year before getting better. Losing multiple starters to FA, lack of a second rounder, terrible cap situation etc.
The "told them he was going to retire" is pretty unconfirmed, no? Thought I only saw that from Pauline, and Pauline is about as accurate as Tim Tebow's left arm these days.

Jville

Reaction score

A bold gamble as a follow up to the great Pete Carrol era.

John and Jody went all in with cap and personnel in 2023.

Now they are again all in with a 36 year old rookie head coach for 2024.

Go boldly where no team has gone before !!!!!!

Gotta Love It!

Parallax

Reaction score

I don't understand this sort of thinking. We've been getting throttled by the 9ers and Rams for years. Pete's great at not letting his teams fall to 3-14 but is that success? You're satisfied with a 9 win season and then getting hammered in the wildcard round? I'm not. For me, it feels like torture. I'd rather have a reset year or two and a sense that we're building toward something. But old Pete was never willing to reset. "Win now mode" means never make a smart, strategic move. Just keep banging your head against the wall. I had enough a LONG time ago.

I think all those years of mediocrity in Seattle have set up this fan base to expect very little. There are, however, programs that have real streaks of success. Even if we never get there, it's like death to not even try. There's no point in following a team that doesn't try.

Parallax

Reaction score
Cronyism and choosing Russ over his bread and butter. Very simply he got absolutely corrupt by absolutely having all the power. Thank God Jody stepped in before we became Washington.
Ah, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Never thought of it that way. You could be right.

Parallax

Reaction score
The game adjusted to Pete and Pete didn't adjust back. Same vanilla gameplan all the time and everyone knew it and knew how to beat it.
I don't hate Pete and I don't think he's too old, I just think it was time to let someone else try.
Pete's not too old. He's just not the sharpest knife in the drawer and never has been.

I know this take will upset some folks and for that I'm sorry. It is what I believe based on what I've seen.

bigcc

Reaction score
When russ's contract went from 1.1 million COMBINED the two super bowl years, to 31.7 mil the next year

Money has to come from somewhere else on the roster

It got worse whenever he got with Ciara and tried to be a celebrity.

Pete should have moved him as soon as his contract was ending and gone with a fresh qb.

On top of the cap savings and the major haul from trading him, locker room wouldn't have been so divided.

Parallax

Reaction score
A bold gamble as a follow up to the great Pete Carrol era.

John and Jody went all in with cap and personnel in 2023.

Now they are again all in with a 36 year old rookie head coach for 2024.

Go boldly where no team has gone before !!!!!!

Gotta Love It!
Sure wish we had that 2nd rounder back and some of that cap space. Those were not smart moves. I hope they weren't John's or Jody's. Would much rather it all be Pete's fault.

bigcc

Reaction score
Considering everyone knew how to beat it, pretty strange he had one losing season the past 12 ******* years