Where did Pete go wrong?

Jville

Reaction score
Sure wish we had that 2nd rounder back and some of that cap space. Those were not smart moves. I hope they weren't John's or Jody's. Would much rather it all be Pete's fault.

The Seahawks mantra is to compete to get better every single day.

That has not changed.

Some decisions work out better than others. Learn and adapt.

Singling out others for blame contributes nothing toward understanding.

Fortunately, Seahawks leadership is unencumbered by that bad habit.

Parallax

Reaction score
The Seahawks mantra is to compete to get better every single day.

That has not changed.

Some decisions work out better than others. Learn and adapt.

Singling out others for blame contributes nothing toward understanding.

Seahawks leadership is unencumbered by such bad habits.
That's Pete's mantra. "Always compete" translates to "keep banging your head against the same darn wall". Don't innovate. Don't think long term or plan for the future. I'm so done with that hole paradigm. So glad Pete's gone and our new coach doesn't think like that. I anticipate we'll be much smarter with our draft capital and our cap space. We may not look good on the field this year but we'll be building a solid foundation. I'm excited.

bigcc

Reaction score
Sure wish we had that 2nd rounder back and some of that cap space. Those were not smart moves. I hope they weren't John's or Jody's. Would much rather it all be Pete's fault.
It's worth it if we keep leonard.

He was playing great football and is vital to the defense this year.

Tag him if you have to, solid interior defenders are hard to find and MacDonald isn't blitz heavy so the guys on the line need to be able to put in work

Parallax

Reaction score
It's worth it if we keep leonard.

He was playing great football and is vital to the defense this year.

Tag him if you have to, solid interior defenders are hard to find and MacDonald isn't blitz heavy so the guys on the line need to be able to put in work
We don't have the cap space to tag him or to sign him for what he could get with another team. Plus, if we did, we could have gotten him without the 2nd and 5th if we had just waited.

The trade will only prove partly worthwhile if either he's grabbed up by some other team early and we get a compensatory pick or he gives Seattle a home-town discount. I think the former is way more likely than the latter. But to get the cap space to sign Williams would require cutting Adams, Diggs, Dissley, maybe Geno.

Jville

Reaction score
That's Pete's mantra. "Always compete" translates to "keep banging your head against the same darn wall". Don't innovate. Don't think long term or plan for the future. I'm so done with that hole paradigm. So glad Pete's gone and our new coach doesn't think like that. I anticipate we'll be much smarter with our draft capital and our cap space. We may not look good on the field this year but we'll be building a solid foundation. I'm excited.

Blame is a excuse from the need to work at understanding.

The Seahawks continue to work at improving the team every single day.

bigcc

Reaction score
We could beat the mediocre teams. If that was good enough for you, we're gonna see things differently.
We beat the lions in Detroit, 10-4 eagles, 11-6 browns

It wasn't a great year at all, a lot of it revolving around injuries.

Get at me when the hawks have a losing record in the midst of a rebuild if you want to fire Macdonald because it's not good enough for you 🙄

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Exactly. Always compete is bullshit. It's actually get elite players especially a quarterback or watch the Patrick and Travis show. I hate 8-9/9-8 Pete and complete bullshit have so far 7-8 years.

bigcc

Reaction score
We don't have the cap space to tag him or to sign him for what he could get with another team. Plus, if we did, we could have gotten him without the 2nd and 5th if we had just waited.

The trade will only prove partly worthwhile if either he's grabbed up by some other team early and we get a compensatory pick or he gives Seattle a home-town discount. I think the former is way more likely than the latter. But to get the cap space to sign Williams would require cutting Adams, Diggs, Dissley, maybe Geno.
Don't have to cut any of them, there's a ton of money to be saved by restructuring/extending a few deals. That being said moving geno and drafting a qb is the move to ease cap burden.

Can also back load Williams contract, and no, we couldn't have gotten him because he would have been tagged like the giants had done previously

Parallax

Reaction score
Exactly. Always compete is bullshit. It's actually get elite players especially a quarterback or watch the Patrick and Travis show. I hate 8-9/9-8 Pete and complete bullshit have so far 7-8 years.
Well, you and I agree. That's something.

Pete clearly has his fans here. That "improve every day" mantra that involves boneheaded decisions which lead nowhere. I'll be happy regardless of our record if I see our team making strides, learning to do basic things like tackle well, mix up defenses, build offensive and defensive schemes around the talent on the team and attempt to innovate. No more "just do what we do better", which is meaningless.

Parallax

Reaction score
Don't have to cut any of them, there's a ton of money to be saved by restructuring/extending a few deals. That being said moving geno and drafting a qb is the move to ease cap burden.

Can also back load Williams contract, and no, we couldn't have gotten him because he would have been tagged like the giants had done previously
He's a decent veteran but he's not Aaron Donald. I'd much rather have the second and the fifth and at this point I've no doubt Schneider does too.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete went wrong in the best way you can go wrong. He was too loyal to his guys and felt it was his responsibility to elevate them. He wouldn't give up on them.

Testament to his character. Biggest bummer in the world that we couldn't end the era swinging.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well, you and I agree. That's something.

Pete clearly has his fans here. That "improve every day" mantra that involves boneheaded decisions which lead nowhere. I'll be happy regardless of our record if I see our team making strides, learning to do basic things like tackle well, mix up defenses, build offensive and defensive schemes around the talent on the team and attempt to innovate. No more "just do what we do better", which is meaningless.
Totally correct but it might take 2-3 years understand?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When russ's contract went from 1.1 million COMBINED the two super bowl years, to 31.7 mil the next year

Money has to come from somewhere else on the roster

It got worse whenever he got with Ciara and tried to be a celebrity.

Pete should have moved him as soon as his contract was ending and gone with a fresh qb.

On top of the cap savings and the major haul from trading him, locker room wouldn't have been so divided.

See I think that's a double edged sword. While Russ was getting most of the kings ransom, he was still the one keeping the team afloat. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

bigcc

Reaction score
He's 77-53 the last 8 years

I drink too much, somehow missed all the 8-9 teams

He had double digit wins 4 of the 8 years and a losing record once

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Considering everyone knew how to beat it, pretty strange he had one losing season the past 12 ******* years

Easy enough to rack up wins in the regular season when you out talent other teams. Not so much in the post season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He's 77-53 the last 8 years

I drink too much, somehow missed all the 8-9 teams

He had double digit wins 4 of the 8 years and a losing record once
And still totally irrelevant old with not a damn clue and hopefully with his beautiful wife forever away from the current NFL.

bigcc

Reaction score
He's a decent veteran but he's not Aaron Donald. I'd much rather have the second and the fifth and at this point I've no doubt Schneider does too.
I agree that there's certainly an argument to be had for the 2/5+cap room being more valuable, but at this point he is necessary and I'm happy to have him, he will be a monster when nwosu comes back and mage improving.... OL can't double him at that point.

He doesn't need to be Aaron Donald (comparing and "decent veteran" is a ridiculous undersell, he'd start on every roster in the nfl with his versatility

Comparing him to a 3x dpoty, come on man