Why is Russ getting so much praise for "coming back early"?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BamKam":2z2jejuo said:
Especially if it ultimately hurt the team? Seems like he is still in this weird "I have to prove to people i'm tough and resilient" phase. Almost as if it was more important that he came back than how he would actually effect the game. He gets the weirdest excuses for playing so poorlu sometimes.
He heaps too much on his plate, because he feels that the Team needs him to be there.....It's called DEVOTION.

K

K.J WRIGHT

He's an attention whore that's why. Hurts to say that, I use to root for the Guy.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Aros":1gjd2xxk said:
This is what I, and many others have a problem with. Russell is so concerned about his "brand" and "legacy" his ego is driving his common sense. Yes he worked his ass off to come back sooner than the average timeline. I'm not trying to undermine his incredible commitment and work ethic which has been legendary since he came into the league. But this is not the same man who came into the league. It's not just X's and O's anymore. It's all about how he can strengthen his brand, his legacy...I won't fall for the trap of saying Ciara is the problem. However, you can't tell me she helps either.

She too wants to strengthen her brand...I would imagine nothing would make them both happier than if they left for a larger market like LA or NY. Russell's motivation to come back so soon against Green Bay was hoping for that story line of "Russell's incredible comeback as he puts the team on his back to victory in Green Bay" to add to his "legacy". His ego in essence placed his interests over the team's. I don't fault him for wanting to compete and see if he could help the team win but he should have done the right thing and taken himself out of the game when it was clear he didn't have it.

I miss the Russell that never slept. That was the one who was up all night going over game film and prepping and studying. No distractions about what fur coat he's going to wear while straddling a horse on some magazine shoot. Or sniffing perfumes or colognes to see which ones he prefers to add to his line.

I miss 2012-2016 Russell. We all do.

I'm sorry but I cant buy this. He's a football player that wants to play and wants to win. Period. He worked hard to overcome an injury and he felt like he was good enough to go. Pete thought he was good enough to go. Pete must have also felt that a Russell Wilson at 70% or so gave the team a better chance at winning than a healthy Geno Smith. It just didnt work out. To say he rushed back just to elevate his 'brand' is BS in my opinion.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3l15dkhj said:
Aros":3l15dkhj said:
This is what I, and many others have a problem with. Russell is so concerned about his "brand" and "legacy" his ego is driving his common sense. Yes he worked his ass off to come back sooner than the average timeline. I'm not trying to undermine his incredible commitment and work ethic which has been legendary since he came into the league. But this is not the same man who came into the league. It's not just X's and O's anymore. It's all about how he can strengthen his brand, his legacy...I won't fall for the trap of saying Ciara is the problem. However, you can't tell me she helps either.

She too wants to strengthen her brand...I would imagine nothing would make them both happier than if they left for a larger market like LA or NY. Russell's motivation to come back so soon against Green Bay was hoping for that story line of "Russell's incredible comeback as he puts the team on his back to victory in Green Bay" to add to his "legacy". His ego in essence placed his interests over the team's. I don't fault him for wanting to compete and see if he could help the team win but he should have done the right thing and taken himself out of the game when it was clear he didn't have it.

I miss the Russell that never slept. That was the one who was up all night going over game film and prepping and studying. No distractions about what fur coat he's going to wear while straddling a horse on some magazine shoot. Or sniffing perfumes or colognes to see which ones he prefers to add to his line.

I'm sorry but I cant buy this. He's a football player that wants to play and wants to win. Period. He worked hard to overcome an injury and he felt like he was good enough to go. Pete thought he was good enough to go. Pete must have also felt that a Russell Wilson at 70% or so gave the team a better chance at winning than a healthy Geno Smith. It just didnt work out. To say he rushed back just to elevate his 'brand' is BS in my opinion.

it is BS but that's what they do, stretch and make crap up to perpetuate their hate.

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":34ddc7g7 said:
Aros":34ddc7g7 said:

While what you say may have some merit. Russell's production team made sure we all knew it was "time" for his return, am I right? What other QB puts out a produced video about their injuries if personal branding was not the intent?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Russell Wilson has an accountability problem. He has nobody holding him accountable and as a result he's playing a sloppy, undisciplined game. Wilson couldn't even player under center and he was throwing ducks out there. Carroll had to have seen those in practices.

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":tg796u2w said:
I'm starting to think Russell Wilson has an accountability problem. He has nobody holding him accountable and as a result he's playing a sloppy, undisciplined game. Wilson couldn't even player under center and he was throwing ducks out there. Carroll had to have seen those in practices.
accountability issue? Now you sounded like members of LOB and other departed stars.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":2c1m1oj8 said:
Spin Doctor":2c1m1oj8 said:
accountability issue? Now you sounded like members of LOB and other departed stars.
Yes. Just looking at videos and screenshots in the other Wilson thread and seeing this whole situation play out, I don't think there is anyone holding his feet to the fire. Mike Holmgren would absolutely not hesitate to lay into his QB's if they weren't doing what they were supposed to do. Bruce Arians even laid into Brady when he was playing bad. In that thread and really throughout his career I've seen him missing a bunch of open wide receivers. Another thing he's been doing is struggling with some pre-snap reads.

Now, I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB, far from it. I just think he needs some more structure and an offensive guy that'll hold him accountable for things. It just kinda feels like the inmate is running the asylum here. If Pete's not going to be that guy he needs to delegate to someone that will on the offensive side.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1p4nmave said:

you don't think having not played for over a month and coming back from an injury had something to do with it maybe?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":nwhd4df4 said:
Spin Doctor":nwhd4df4 said:

Well isn't that what we're seeing now with Russell and Pete's relationship and how it's evolved (or devolved) over the past 2-3 years?

This is Russell's team now, he's dictating O-coordinator hires, personnel moves and pretty much autonomous freedom within the offense to check out of any play he wants.

And now he's dictating when he can play after an injury, even though as we saw Sunday, maybe he shouldn't.

Hard to blame Pete though, and Pete said it three weeks ago........without Russell Pete's probably not even around anymore without Russell saving his ass year after year.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":3pixw6si said:

This is true. I don't understand why everyone is so afraid to admit it. Its the main cause of the all the ills the team faces. All of the critiques of the coaching staff and front office can be true, but one of it matters if you're franchise QB puts himself above the team. Their ultimate goal of winning might be the same, when the QB only wants to win if he's the star of the show, it'll never work

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":2jyvnz02 said:

Well said Todd and this is the problem for some time now.
He is also getting old and is not in his prime which isn't
helping any.I feel he needs to move on to another place
which could help him more and us..

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":3ileg546 said:
Spin Doctor":3ileg546 said:

you don't think having not played for over a month and coming back from an injury had something to do with it maybe?
This issue extends further than just the Packers game. If you look at Wilson's statline over the last 17 games, it looks a lot like something Baker Mayfield would put up. Not bad, but certainly not great either. Much of this (refer to the other Wilson thread) is due to tendencies of Wilson himself. For example, his pre-snap read game is not very good. You can see Kurt Warner harp on it in a video dissecting Wilson. Another poster before that video posted him missing the same things, consistently this year. Missing wide open receivers as well, normally running in the middle of the field. Or, he'll ignore open receivers looking for something deep.

The Packers game was just an example of Pete Carroll caving to Wilson.

toffee

Reaction score
For a long time, I have been joking that Pete sold his soul to Russ. That was of course a joke, but it has been Russ's tram, I have few doubts about it. I almost felt bad for Pete when Russ turned his media machine on Pete last off season to the extend of "no confidence in Hawks'" coaching staffs.

Lucky for Ole Pete, Russ also expressed his wish to own NFL Franchise. One wonders what went though Jody's mind when the commissioner sat with the Wilsons at the super bowl.

I think that saved Pete's job, Jody has no desire to deal with Ciara or Russ's media machine. She wanted Pete to sort out his problem child, that have saved Pete's job.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":274vfilv said:
John63":274vfilv said:
Spin Doctor":274vfilv said:

This issue extends further than just the Packers game. If you look at Wilson's statline over the last 17 games, it looks a lot like something Baker Mayfield would put up. Not bad, but certainly not great either. Much of this (refer to the other Wilson thread) is due to tendencies of Wilson himself. For example, his pre-snap read game is not very good. You can see Kurt Warner harp on it in a video dissecting Wilson. Another poster before that video posted him missing the same things, consistently this year. Missing wide open receivers as well, normally running in the middle of the field. Or, he'll ignore open receivers looking for something deep.

The Packers game was just an example of Pete Carroll caving to Wilson.

Well let look at it I will use Passer rating to make it simple, every regular-season game each QB played 2020-date Removing middle-of-the-road ratings (85-90) to ensure all have the same number of games.

Which one is Wilson

qb1
Passer rating below 85- 4
Passer rating 85-99- 2
Passer rating 100>- 15

Qb2
Passer rating below 85- 7
Passer rating 85-99- 1
Passer rating 100>- 13

Qb3
Passer rating below 85- 3
Passer rating 85-99- 3
Passer rating 100>- 15

QB 4
Passer rating below 85- 3
Passer rating 85-99- 4
Passer rating 100>- 14

So once you decide keep in mind this clearly shows he has not played as bad as some make it out. And this does not count rushing info, only passing which is this first job of a QB. eh ha splayed as well as almost any QB a lot of great games a few decent games and a few stinkers.

rcaido

Reaction score
Who cares if he came back early...Geno would not have been able to beat the Packers. At least one less game to get his timing back.

misfit

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1lfnuf1x said:

thats on the coaching staff for putting out a qb that cant go under center and messing up the offensive game plan, not russ

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":3ppdoc88 said:
pittpnthrs":3ppdoc88 said:
Aros":3ppdoc88 said:

While what you say may have some merit. Russell's production team made sure we all knew it was "time" for his return, am I right? What other QB puts out a produced video about their injuries if personal branding was not the intent?

Oh, I don't know, MAYBE he's just letting everyone know that he's gone out of his way, busting his butt to get back to helping HIS team mates to winning again....Instead, he's getting flack BY SOME OF HIS OWN FANS, for pushing himself really hard FOR THEM.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":1jb3uplr said:
Who cares if he came back early...Geno would not have been able to beat the Packers. At least one less game to get his timing back.
We put up zero points. We held the Packers to 3 points until the late 4th quarter. We needed backup tier level of play and we didn't even get that. The Geno Smith performances we saw from every game would have been enough to potentially win. That injury Russ came back from usually takes much longer, we rushed it -- which is also potentially going to caused that injury to linger for longer. He was not ready to play.